Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Half empty stadium = mass migration in OT

17,905 Views | 317 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by WestTxAg06
NoACDamnit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wasn't at the game. Nor have I said I was.

The alumni are not part of the 12th man. The students are.

You're pathetic!

---------------------------------------

Harry Potter just like the Smurfs and many other things are simply witchcraft made G Rated on the outside but underlying it is still witchcraft and is against the will of God.

[This message has been edited by NoACDamnit (edited 9/9/2007 8:31p).]
AJ02
AG
that's what i thought. you weren't even there. thanks!
NoACDamnit
quote:
The alummi are not part of the 12th man.

Did you miss this, idiot?

Harry Potter just like the Smurfs and many other things are simply witchcraft made G Rated on the outside but underlying it is still witchcraft and is against the will of God.

[This message has been edited by NoACDamnit (edited 9/9/2007 8:31p).]
Redstone
AG
quote:
But that has nothing to do with the game. We pride ourselves on staying through thick and thin - especially the student body. We brag to other schools about staying until the end no matter how bad it might be. This weekend we didn't live up to that. Should we amend our traditions to supporting the team and staying until the end only for games in nice weather when we're winning?

EXACTLY. When I was a student from 98 to 02 we had plenty of hot and humid games. But you stayed because you wanted to support the team. Again, unless you were on the very brink of collapse, STAY.
AJ02
AG
got it. so students should risk their health for the game, but alumni can just sit at home in the AC and b\tch about the "bad aggie" students that leave a game early. thanks for clarifying.
AJ02
AG
i was also a student from 98-02, and there was not a single game in those years that were as miserable as yesterday.
JRB78
AG
I am an alum, and I congratulate the students on a job well done yesterday. Keep up the good work.
Redstone
AG
And yes I was there the whole time - from 45 minutes before to the light drizzle as fans exited the Zone after the third overtime.

Gate 11
Section 510
Row 18
Seat 3

Me and my friends and a lot of older people - who came prepared, sucked it up, and had a good time for five and one half hours. I spent four dollars on water and did not see one fainter.
Redstone
AG
And as an aside, damn Jen you are cute. PM me sometime.
EK Gill
Congrats. You're amazing.
NoACDamnit
You still haven't address my last point. We don't talk about the 12th man supporting the team through thick and thin only when it's easy to do so.

Do you think we should change that now?

You seriously don't think in the last 100 years there has been another game where excessive heat was a problem?

Students today wear shorts and tshirts to the games (and smartly so.) 20 years ago we played up the "Every game is homecoming" tradition MUCH more than we do now. That meant women in formal dresses and mums - yet you didn't see the decks empty like that.

NoACDamnit
dp

[This message has been edited by NoACDamnit (edited 9/9/2007 8:38p).]
AJ02
AG
no offense redstone, but 510 is in the zone, where you can sit down, and you're not packed in like sardines.
fightintxaggie10
AG
The ENTIRE student section was full at the beginning of the game. Because of the heat many wanted to, or had to leave. It was like 105 in the stands, there were EMS all over the place.
Jiggedy Jared
quote:
PM me sometime.

You just crossed over into the realm of eharmony, my friend.
AJ02
AG
i do think heat has been a problem in the last 100 years. but i'm also pretty sure 99% of the aggies would agree that the 12th man tradition is great, UNTIL STUDENTS' HEALTH IS AT RISK. it's pretty ridiculous & priorities are screwed up to say that aggies should never leave the game. they evacuate people when there's lightning. are they bad ags too? should they just stand there and risk being struck by lightning?
goat97
Redstone, I will say it again. People left all the time "in your day." Don't kid yourself.
NoACDamnit
And you actually think that ~40% of the student side were actually putting their health at risk?

Why hasn't that happened in the last century? Are the new classes lacking something genetically that was there in the generations before them?

Redstone
AG
okay fine I am off that topic now.

Jen, if you ever get desperate and lonely - I am:

educated, successful, a homeowner, not a loser creep (yes I swear its true), and moderately handsome (getting better now that I am serious about fitness). Catholic, 27, 6'0, 205, green eyes.
AJ02
AG
i don't know what kind of math you took, but the student side was more than 60% full at the end of the game.

there is no big difference between the 12th man now and then. only difference is that now the vocal minority (such as yourself) have a medium with which to make your voice heard (internet message boards). in the past, you didn't hear a lot about students leaving early, because there was no real way for the minority that have a huge problem with it to MAKE themselves heard.

[This message has been edited by AggieJen02 (edited 9/9/2007 8:51p).]
tske87
quote:
desperate and lonely - I am

[This message has been edited by tske87 (edited 9/9/2007 8:50p).]
NoACDamnit
Redstone, I almost hate to break it to you, but that's Neve Campbell.

NoACDamnit
quote:
but the student side was more than 60% full at half-time.

??? Who is talking about half time. I was talking about overtime.

quote:
there is no big difference between the 12th man now and then.

I doubt the old ags on here would agree with that. You don't have to go that far back to not see a mass exodous like that.

AJ02
AG
thanks for the offer redstone, but you and i wouldn't get along. i'm apparently one of those that would leave an aggie game early because i was about to pass out.
AJ02
AG
i corrected my post. i meant more than 60% full at the end of the game.
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
Are the new classes lacking something genetically that was there in the generations before them?

Yeah, they were raised with the affliction known as "sleeping until noon and spending their youth laying up under the air conditioning all day".

[This message has been edited by WestTxAg06 (edited 9/9/2007 8:53p).]
AJ02
AG
quote:
You don't have to go that far back to not see a mass exodous like that.

find me a game that "old army" attended that mirrored the same conditions as yesterday's game, and show me that all of the students stayed the full 4 1/2 hours.
colonialag
AG
old ags also agree that our defense only gave up 13 yards of total offense from 1984-1997
Javelina
NoACDamnit
LSU 1995

Tech 2002

But I reiterate, do you not think there was another comparable game in the last 100 years? You really think the decks would empty like that 30 years ago?

Redstone
AG
quote:
thanks for the offer redstone, but you and i wouldn't get along. i'm apparently one of those that would leave an aggie game early because i was about to pass out.

no no no - I was trolling on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I would be totally cool with it if you left a game early. And saying I went to all the home games from 98 to 02 was false bravado. I am definately a fan though, just like yourself....
NoACDamnit
quote:
old ags also agree that our defense only gave up 13 yards of total offense from 1984-1997

Would have been better if you said 1995. We were awful in '96.

WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
find me a game that "old army" attended that mirrored the same conditions as yesterday's game,

Aggie football has been around since 1894. I imagine there have been more than a few games that were that hot, or hotter, in the past 113 years.

quote:
and show me that all of the students stayed the full 4 1/2 hours.

Well, in the old days, I'm pretty sure the Corps boys didn't have the option of just going home if they decided they were too hot.

Plus, they were probably all wearing long-sleeve uniforms.

And if they did get to go back to the dorm, they didn't have any air conditioning to go back to. It wasn't any more comfortable there than at the dorm.

Like it or not, today's generations, me included, have it much, much easier than our predecessors.

[This message has been edited by WestTxAg06 (edited 9/9/2007 8:59p).]
AJ02
AG
now, i consider myself a "good ag". i'm a legacy ag, attended all but maybe 2 or 3 football games while i was in school, and now that i've graduated, i still try to go to as many home and away games as i can. i'm going to miami, OU, and tech this season. but when my son or daughter goes to A&M, and they start attending football games, i'm sure as hell gonna tell them that when they feel that bad from the heat, they need to get the hell out of it. 12th man be damned. my son/daughter's health means a hell of a lot more than whether they are standing in the stands cheering on the ags against fresno state.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Nice Work All. I finally had to break down and call my 71 y/o father who was at the game. Section 514 or so (I'm not giving out his real seat number). He said it was hot, but that's about all he said about it.

What he did say was:
He was very impressed with the tide of students who were following the ball and shifting down to the end zone in the 2nd and 3rd overtimes. He thought that was great and expects it will become a tradition now. So, for the students who stayed, my old man was very impressed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.