Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Half empty stadium = mass migration in OT

17,932 Views | 317 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by WestTxAg06
beagle2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely the hottest game I have ever attended...I was pretty prepared though...lots of water goes a long way.
Aggie99
AG
Why is heat an excuse? It is always hot at the games....so why is this time any different?

You don't see the players, yell leaders, BQs, Refs, Coaches, (other teams) Cheerleaders, etc. saying...."Wow, its just too hot. I am getting outta here!"
Angry Beaver
AG
Half empty???

The attendance was well over 75,000... and according to the official capacity of Kyle Field, that's about 91% capacity.

There is a lot of herb in Colorado. People get "confused" a lot.
IowaAg07
AG
I'll just echo what everyone else (besides superhuman Pro Sandy) has said in that it was brutal heat, and I was under the overhang on 2nd deck so I got quite a bit of shade for the 1st quarter. I went through 3 liters of water in the first half, and only a lemon chill and that glorious cloud in the 3rd quarter saved me. I've never left a game early, but if any of the people in my group had even mentioned it, I probably would have gone home. It was an experience, though, I will say that. And Pro Sandy and KJ, I would almost guarantee you would be singing a different tune if you were standing in the student section today (I say almost because some people who post on here are just plain dumb).
beagle2009
AG
quote:
You don't see the players, yell leaders, BQs, Refs, Coaches, (other teams) Cheerleaders, etc. saying...."Wow, its just too hot. I am getting outta here!"

Yeah, but you do see the players, yell leaders, BQ's, Refs, Coaches and Cheerleaders under professional care of their university staff and properly hydrated and prepared for conditions such as today.

You are ignorant.
FightinAggie07
AG
One TV cameraman passed out from heat exhaustion. Some A&M students among the 75,922 fans were probably whipped after racing atop the east stands at Kyle Field during each overtime session. The 12th Man perfected the ol' Student Body Right and Left.

-Dallas Morning News

[This message has been edited by FightinAggie07 (edited 9/9/2007 12:40a).]
fire09
AG
Being there an hour early was certainly an experience. The 12th Man was there today. Migrating in the stands is NOT a disgrace. We filled in the holes for our fellow Ags who were unable to stand in the furnace Kyle Field was today. I drank over a gallon of water, and still haven't pissed tonight. My commendations to all who stayed, but those who were unable, the students were out there yelling for you!
BlackHillsAg99
AG
I've been at Kyle in some pretty hot games, but I never saw what I've seen some of the posts subscribe. You could see people looking sick when the cameras passed over the crowd.

Kudos to you who stuck it out, but if you're about to pass out from heat at a game, go the hell home. You wouldn't know it to read the forums as pissed as some of us are about the game, but it's just football, and it's not worth getting heat exhaustion or worse. Take care of yourselves, and your fellow Ags!
raven10
stayed the whole game, stood the whole game, called the people who sat down during timeouts names, only drank 20 oz of water, got a little light headed during the 2nd overtime and had to stop jumping up and down while yelling, lots of people around left with heat exhaustion, but I only saw one girl with heat stroke. (yes it really was heat stroke, she collapsed and was disoriented/hallucinating)
Htownag11
AG
i had two people in my row and at least 6 in my section pass out and need to be carried down to the shade by a cop and an usher. anyone that complains obviously wasnt at the game or SITTING comfortably on the alumni side.
BQZip01
AG
^
This is why people left, not a lack of spirit for the team or a lack of devotion
zachattack
quote:

I'm pretty sure they had a ref and a cameraman both have to be attended to today. I agree, you are ignorant!

"Hallelujah . . . Holy Sh*t. . . where's the tylenol?!"
Professional Ag
I thought it was worse than the SMU 05 game. I think it just depends on the person.

And if you are miserable or not feeling well, I think you should leave. Those that say just drink water, it's easy to get involved in the game and not want to leave your seat to go get more. Before you know it, you don't feel too good.

Good showing today.
zachattack
quote:
You wouldn't know it to read the forums as pissed as some of us are about the game, but it's just football, and it's not worth getting heat exhaustion or worse. Take care of yourselves, and your fellow Ags!

Hammer, nail, head!

"Hallelujah . . . Holy Sh*t. . . where's the tylenol?!"
Capitol Ag
AG
I was at the game. The heat and the 19-0 half-time lead lead to many leaving at the half. Too bad we could not have had that rain storm a little earlier in the afternoon....
BQZip01
AG
and INCREASED the humidity?!?!
New User
noac is the greatest aggie of all time. we should be honored to post on the same message board as him
NoACDamnit
quote:
The attendance was well over 75,000... and according to the official capacity of Kyle Field, that's about 91% capacity.

You realize that people that leave the game before it's over are still counted in the attendance right?

---------------------------------------

Harry Potter just like the Smurfs and many other things are simply witchcraft made G Rated on the outside but underlying it is still witchcraft and is against the will of God.
Jiggedy Jared
Ok, I've just started reading this thread, but I've already read 2 people say that they went through "3 gallons of water". I understand it was hot, but please understand that I (and hopefully the other educated people reading this) know that you're full of S. If you did drink 3 gallons of water, then you would have died of hyponatremia.
pirate_Agg05
AG
apparently pro sandy will have none of logic, as it the students' fault that the sun is hot, and we should all pay for the equipment/staff that the football team has, anything less means you're a moronic pooswah 2%er.

i will 2005th the sentiment that this was the hottest game i've ever been to, but i've only been going since '01. i was at smu '05, and maybe memory is tricking me since it's been 2 years, but today was the worst i can remember ever feeling. i mean all games are hot in september, but this one was just insane.

me, my girlfriend, and my younger brother did stay though, but i do not fault anyone who left.
Zack84a
ever heard of an exaggeration? it's not meant to be taken seriously.
smokeythebear
AG
It's ironic that certain Aggies would attempt to call out other Aggies for not supporting the team under such conditions, yet they seem to have no disregard for the fellow Aggies standing side by side with us. If my friend is blacking out, then I am going to tell her to go home. No matter how much you would want us to support our team in winning the game, it is more important to support our fellow Aggies and their HEALTH! Yea, some people can make it the whole game without a problem, but that explains why there was still a huge crowd of people there willing to make up for their friends that couldn't make it the whole game. I can tell you because I was there on the 3rd deck, walking side to side during overtime; that the people who left the game left because of the heat and their own personal interests in mind. No Aggie should ever be asked to sacrifice their HEALTH to stand on the third deck during that kind of heat. If you still disagree with me, then go ahead and ask Stephen McGee which is more important, he will give you your answer.
Jiggedy Jared
First of all, who gives a crap? I mean, honestly. The point of being a fan is being entertained. If you'd be happier at home, then go/stay home. Life's too short to live any other way.

Secondly, it's foolish and silly to think that all those people that left were leaving for health reasons. You know good and well that's not the case. Probably 70-80% of the leavers were uncomfortable and ready to get in the AC when they thought A&M was having a tough go at it.
smokeythebear
AG
Ya, but when they see people leaving cause of that, then they decide they should leave before they get to that state, sorry not everyone is a complete robot who is driven by your kind of willpower, all I'm saying is give the students a break, obviously the heat had a lot to do with it since this wasn't a problem against Montana State which was ACTUALLY a blowout.
smokeythebear
AG
My friend and his parents who had seats in the Zone said the alum, "every single person", gave the students a STANDING ovation for "the migration". Strange how people who were at the game can show appreciation, yet those who weren't there can't...
NoACDamnit
How can people not get this.

MAJOR Kudos to the people that stayed and moved.

The PROBLEM was that there should have been nowhere to move TO.

Harry Potter just like the Smurfs and many other things are simply witchcraft made G Rated on the outside but underlying it is still witchcraft and is against the will of God.
Jiggedy Jared
By the way, how about a bit of a moratorium on this BS of calling people out in general for not being at the game. I wasn't at the game because I can't afford it. I'm not saying they should lower ticket prices (because they should charge what they can get for it), but student tickets are CHEAP and non-student tickets are way out of my league as a grad student at a different school.
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
How can people not get this.

MAJOR Kudos to the people that stayed and moved.

The PROBLEM was that there should have been nowhere to move TO.

How do you not get it? Anyone who was THERE (which obviously you weren't) wouldn't call out someone for leaving. Get off your high horse and accept that it was a hot game. Support your fellow Ags and get over it.
marius2k4
AG
I've been going since '04, and I'll.... 2006th... the fact that this game was hell, regarding the heat. My gallon of water was frozen SOLID when we entered Kyle, and by half it was all water and half empty. My girlfriend and I resorted to wearing our 12th man towels on our heads, soaking them in water every now and then, just to keep our temperatures down. With all the concrete and metal reflecting the sun, I wouldn't be surprised to have the field temp at 120.

I was continually dizzy during yells and had to just stop and catch my breath every now and then. I'm six feet tall and a big guy, in fairly good cardio health.. I'm not a runt, and have never been a wimp.. but this was bad. Hotter than '05 SMU definitely. If I was getting woozy, while being as hydrated as I could (I did hydrate pre-game), I can imagine how a lot of other people would have had a much harder time at it.

NO AGGIE should criticize another for leaving early at this game. It was a matter of health.

...........http://www.monarchytoday.com...........
The Society for the Advancement of Monarchy

quote:
“Monarchy can easily be debunked, but watch the faces, mark well the debunkers. These are the men whose taproot in Eden has been cut: whom no rumour of the polyphony, the dance, can reach - men to whom pebbles laid in a row are more beautiful than an arch. Yet even if they desire mere equality they cannot reach it. Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes or film stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison.” - C.S. Lewis (1898-1963)
NoACDamnit
quote:
How do you not get it?

Your last response has nothing to do with the one before it.

You mentioned people at the game appreciating those that stayed.

No one is criticizing those that stayed.

houstontexan
all this coming from a guy b*tching about NO AC

NoACDamnit
quote:
all this coming from a guy b*tching about NO AC

You couldn't be more wrong. I picked this username when we were trying to keep AC OUT of our dorm.

smokeythebear
AG
Jared, I'm not calling anyone out for not being there, I just want to stand up for my friends who didn't make it to the end. Let's team up and end all "calling out"
Jiggedy Jared
quote:
Anyone who was THERE (which obviously you weren't)

Um... whaaaah?
HollywoodBQ
AG
quote:
sorry not everyone is a complete robot who is driven by your kind of willpower
So... Old Army really has gone to Hell.

I agree with Pro Sandy that YOU are responsible for your preparedness to deal with the conditions at the game. And if you did in fact get heat exhaustaion at the game, you ARE an IDIOT. I remember laughing at people who used to pass out during Band practice before school because I thought it was funny (we drilled in the afternoon back in my day). You can argue that not everyone is created equal, and I'll be happy to counter with Natural Selection.

I agree with Jiggedy Jared that nobody drank 3 gallons of water during the game. That's 24 pounds of water. 3 litres, certainly.

I love the whiners saying that if you weren't at today's game shut-up. Hmmm. Let's see, I've only been to about 100 A&M games. I'm sure this one must have been twice as hot as anything during Fall 1988 - Fall 1991 when we still wore Class A uniforms to games (that means long sleeves and ties for those of you who might be confused).

I've seen the Aggies when it was snowing, I was there for "The Hit" on what was a Very cold night in Fort Worth (in the can - I had to warm up before anything would come out, if you've been that cold before, you know what I'm talking about), I've seen the Aggies play in a Hurricane, I've seen the Aggies play in ridiculous heat, I've seen Aggie games halted due to Lightning Storms, I've seen it all. And in my 6000+ minutes of watching Aggie Football, I've only left early 1 time. After a classic ass-whooping in Austin, I left my seat with 90 seconds left in the game.

The point I'm trying to make is that you are the 12th Man and you should prepare yourself for the game with whatever kind of training it takes to survive the game. The season is long and you've got to be ready for every game. You can't ***** about the team if you're not willing to stand in the stands yourself and be ready to take the field if necessary. BTW - if you need to clue your friends in, please do so.

I'll see y'all in Miami in two weeks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.