Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Half empty stadium = mass migration in OT

17,916 Views | 317 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by WestTxAg06
Jiggedy Jared
How long do you want to ignore this user?
take a nap, johnny
Rob03
I was there for the entire 05 SMU game and could have done that standing on my head compared to 07 FSU. The only other game I remember being as bad was the 48-47 OT game vs Tech in 02.
colonialag
AG
thanks for the checks... no, unfortunately i don't have any aggie spirit since i stayed the entire game yesterday and can sympathize with those that made the decision to leave. i guess i'm also a blithering idiot since i call out people that act like jack-asses. have a great day. gig em.

[This message has been edited by colonialag (edited 9/9/2007 1:38p).]
colonialag
AG
now moving away from that nonsense... did anyone else ruin their clothing from sweating so much? i have a formerly white undershirt that is now a purplish color.
Redstone
AG
Again, I was in the direct line of the sun from the midpoint level in the middle of the Zone and while it was definately hot, I didn't have any problems whatsoever. Neither did my friends. Neither did the various older people around us.

I came prepared! Water, sunglasses, sunscreen, a hat. That's all you needed.

Sounds like a lot of ya'll just needed to suck it up.

It wasn't that bad....and unless you are on the very brink of a physical breakdown, you should stay the entire game.
wildlifeAG
AG
zone = sitting down and not yelling
Redstone
AG
So all of the older people in our area, because they weren't standing, had such an easy time enduring this horrendus heat??? Couples in their 60s and 70s had it sooooo easy because they didn't yell??? Come on.

Nut up. It wasn't that bad.

aggierdw
Geez get over yourselves. Some people can handle extreme heat some can not. Some even though they drink lots of water will still sweat it all out and can't replace it fast enough. So if not being able to take the heat makes you less of an aggie then wow I guess I don't really know what it means to be an aggie.
BDog
They showed the half empty stadium on TV, kind of embarrassing.
dead zip 01
AG
Geez, to hear some of you complain you would think it was worse than Bear Bryant hauling you to Junction.
mazag08
AG
shut the hell upit was the hottest game i have been to in 15 years. get off your high horses you *****s.
E
AG
anyone who *****es about people leaving to prevent heat exhaustion is a complete retard.

thinking logicaly >>>>> trying to be "king aggie"
Reloadags1998
AG
quote:
They showed the half empty stadium on TV, kind of embarrassing.

Well what you saw was not real then. It was not a sell out but it was NOT half empty by the end of the game. I was impressed by the number of people, students and alums they stayed to the end.
HollywoodBQ
AG
quote:
you sir are a genuine band bad-ass!!!!! i want to party with you!!!! please be my friend?

Sure, I'll be your friend. We're all Ags, right? I USED to laugh at 18 year olds who would fall over when it was only like 105 or 106 degrees in August. While I still think that's funny (I mean you live in Texas, Right? You knew it was going to be hot, Right?), I've lost some of my hard edge. Seeing a guy who later died from heat stroke get medevac'd out at Fort Hood did a little to make me a little more compassionate. However that incident also highlighted that your personal safety is your responsibility. And if you care about your friends, you'll make sure they're taken care of too. I get chapped at the whiners who want to start blaming the administration and Fox Sports for people becoming heat casualties.
GigEmAggies06
AG
I think most students, even the ones who stayed (myself included), don't give two ****s about how hot any 'old army' ags on the alumni side or the zone think it was. Unless you were over in 143/144 standing along side the 12th man, you don't really know what you're talking about.
Reloadags1998
AG
Ohh....Oh, that means I know then!!!!
john2002ag
I can't believe that yesterday was the first day in the history of Aggie Football that it was so hot that half the students had to leave. Just face the facts. Students decided that they would rather watch the second half on tv.

My only reply would be that if my wife, who is 6 months pregnant, can handle the heat and stick it out to the end of three overtimes; a 20 year old student should sure be able to handle to it.
EK Gill
So if you personally didn't have a problem with the heat yesterday, anyone else who did is automtically a liar by default? I'm a little baffled.

This wasn't about "I was too hot to stay." This was about hordes of people who were vomiting, losing their vision, getting chilled (yep), falling down, and in many cases, losing consciousness.

And you know what? There were fans (fellow Aggies, mind you) who weren't as dangerously affected but happened to be just flat-out miserable in the conditions (my pregnant sister included).

Hate to sound preachy, but some of you need to grow up. This whole "You're not as Aggie as I am" crap is ludicrous. Again, don't assume everyone had the same experience as you.

This thread is disturbing.
mazag08
AG
no, you face the facts. when i cant yell for the first time in 15 years, there is obviously some kind of extenuating circumstance.
herb96
AG
It was fricking hot.
Guinea
I am so sick of them scheduling games like that. Who cares if it's on TV? What about the ticket buyers? We paid a bunch of money to watch the Ags, and we have to sit/stand in a 100+ degree and direct sunlight for 3 hours? Not to mention, it's a severe health hazard. I do not blame people for leaving this one early. I got there 45 minutes before the game, and after being there for 5 minutes, I didn't believe I was going to make it the entire game. Luckily, I did and luckily God had mercy on us in the 2nd half. I saw numerous people around me that were feeling very weak/faint and had to leave. The bottom line is that if they want people to stay the entire game, don't make us suffer like we did yesterday. It also didn't help that every break in the game became a "media timeout." My only wish is that FSN played the Geico Cavemen commercials a bunch so that the viewers at home had to suffer too.

Opposistion: "No once forced you to go or buy a ticket."

Answer: "I bought my ticket when the game was scheduled for 6:30."
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
Hate to sound preachy, but some of you need to grow up.

That goes both ways. Some of us on the "preachy" side might come across as a little too callous, but there are plenty of current students on here acting like they're the first to ever have dealt with a hot Saturday afternoon at Kyle Field.

[This message has been edited by WestTxAg06 (edited 9/9/2007 4:12p).]
EK Gill
You forget ... many of the people who make the scheduling decisions are "forced" to watch the game from the horrendous conditions of the press box and/or Zone Club.
Guinea
I went through at least a gallon and applied sunscreen (or the way my 2 year old neice says it: scunscreen ) 3 times. And I still got burned a little. If the 2nd half wouldn't have been cloudy, I might have left early for the time ever.

And yes it was by far the worst game I've ever been to.
wcrew93
AG
The heat was oppressive, although not quite as bad as SMU '05, in my opinion. I stayed the whole game, but occassionally spent some time viewing the game from the concourse.
hmiles619
AG
fyi: big difference between standing packed in the student section and sitting spaced out on the alumni side.

i was at smu 05 and this game, and to me there was a huge difference. I didn't even consider leaving the smu game, while I was out of this one by halftime

I'm not saying that:
1. there hasn't been hotter games
2. people shouldn't be in better shape
3. some people left who could have stayed

However, when you have people getting carried out right and left, I can't fault people for leaving. I stayed the whole game, but now my throat is swollen badly and my eyes and nose hurt and are runny and painful. I have spent summers working hard outside, gone on long backpacking treks in the summer, and lived in a tent in Texas heat for a week or more at a time on several occasions. If I feel like this after being fully hydrated before the game and drinking a lot during and after, I can only imagine how some people are feeling right now.

[This message has been edited by aero ag 2010 (edited 9/9/2007 4:34p).]
BQZip01
AG
For those that think you can't go through 3 gallons of water in 5+ hours (yes the game was that long), I have been to military training where I took down 3 gallons in THREE hours. Admittedly this was all while doing PT during basic, but it can be done. When I was deployed to the Middle East, I easily went through 4-6 gallons a day.
Boomsy
AG
let me tell you something....you don't want to fool around with the heat....even the ref was struggling.
Ulrich
I've done two gallons per day for several days in a row, I imagine 3 gallons once is fully possible.

[This message has been edited by aero ag 2010 (edited 9/9/2007 4:33p).]
swimmerbabe11
I was watching it on tv, and I have to say even if lots of people left, it was the loudest I have ever heard it come across the television. You could barely hear the announcers. Good job guys.

Oh and on the case of people leaving, having had a heat stroke before, I can't handle heat well anymore. I got mine when I was in a group of other kids and adults, I drank the same amount as them and was in the same heat but I was the only one who got sick. I tend to stop sweating quickly which causes stroke. Some people's bodies can handle it, some can't.
Ulrich
That was a loud game... it didn't have the sustained noise of NU or OU last year, but we got very good volume at times.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
This really makes you wonder why the hell the XII front office won't put their foot down when TV networks want to do a day game in the XII-S in Septemeber. Just tell them no, do a XII-N game in the day and the XII-S games at night.

And we're idiots for letting them do it. BB needs to say, "No TV in September unless you do it at night."
Redstone
AG
When I went to every football game between 98 and 02 students were expected to stay the whole game. I did so at this game in the spirit of that tradition.

Period.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.