Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Half empty stadium = mass migration in OT

17,926 Views | 317 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by WestTxAg06
Reloadags1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Expected but how many really did stay?
gig them
AG
Redstone, can I touch you?

[This message has been edited by gig them (edited 9/9/2007 5:43p).]
94chem
quote:
When I went to every football game between 98 and 02 students were expected to stay the whole game. I did so at this game in the spirit of that tradition.

Period.

When I went to school we had a bonfire, and went 23-0-1 at home. New army...
Redstone
AG
These young kids coming up complain and then complain some more.

I have sympathy for those who are going to break down physically. By all means, take care of yourself.

But leaving because 'it's too hot' is not supporting your football team. It's September in the middle of the day in Texas. It's going to be hot. Prepare and suck it up.

Too many kids raised by helicopter parents on television and video games? Whatever it is, it wasn't like that when I was in school.
NewArmyAg
After reading this thread I must say that Old Army acts plain retarded sometime.
goat97
Redstone, it may have been expected back in your day, but it was not observed. Not by everyone.
Good ol' days syndrome.
Jiggedy Jared
So, two more people said they drink 3 gallons and more regularly. I still call BS. Here's an example of what I was talking about.

quote:
James McBride, a police officer with the Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia, died of hyponatremia on August 10, 2005. Officer McBride had been participating in a strenuous bicycle patrol training course. During a 12-mile (19 km) training ride on the second day of the course, Officer McBride drank as much as three gallons (11 liters) of water[2].
Ulrich
And some woman died after drinking less than 40 oz in a water-drinking competition in California. Just because it happens once to one person doesn't mean it will happen to every person.
WestTxAg06
AG
Don't dispute what New Army says, Jared. They're tough, we oldsters don't understand what they had to go through yesterday. In fact, we should commend them for caring for more than any of us ever did.
Ulrich
Don't dispute what Old Army says, anyone. They're tough, we youngsters don't understand what they had to go through back in the day. In fact, we should commend them for caring for more than any of us ever will.

[This message has been edited by aero ag 2010 (edited 9/9/2007 6:49p).]
NewArmyAg
quote:
Don't dispute what New Army says, Jared. They're tough, we oldsters don't understand what they had to go through yesterday. In fact, we should commend them for caring for more than any of us ever did.

06 is real old.

Dumb****
Jiggedy Jared
Let's not make this any more dramatic than it already is, dork. It was 3 hours of standing in September. While I already made it clear that if you really didn't enjoy it that much that I don't give a crap if you went home, I really have a hard time believing that it was that bad. All I am saying is that one of my fond memories of college was being in the stands for all of every game, and I personally think you're crazy to miss any of it. However, if these torturous conditions were bad enough to cause serious health concerns (still BS for 90% of the leavers), then you certainly made the right choice.

My honest guess: you got bored and went home to pick each others' butts.
AJ02
AG
just a few thoughts from somebody who was at the game yesterday, in section 144, packed in like sardines, standing the whole time. (i've been to almost every single home game since 1998.)

quote:
In 2002 for Tech they had OVER 100 people treated for heat stroke

i was at that game, also on the student side, standing the whole time. FSU beat the tceh game, hands down.

quote:
For my needs, Powerade/Gatorade don't have nearly enough sodium.

i agree gatorade or powerade is better to help keep you hydrated, but i walked around everywhere trying to find someplace on the east side selling powerade for my friend, and couldn't find it anywhere. had to settle for water at $4 a liter.

quote:
You don't see the players, yell leaders, BQs, Refs, Coaches, (other teams) Cheerleaders, etc. saying...."Wow, its just too hot. I am getting outta here!"

as others have said, the players also have doctors, trainers, etc on the sidelines to help make sure they're okay. they also spend months training to play in these conditions. i don't know about you, but i don't routinely stand for 4 1/2 hours in 100+ degree weather, direct sunlight, no air, packed in like sardines just to make sure i'm "ready" for an afternoon aggie football game. also, the FSU had IVs the day before to make sure they were hydrated. i don't know about you, but i don't have access to IVs to make sure i'm fully hydrated before every aggie game.

quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to have the field temp at 120.

it was actually 140 on the track, and around 120 on the field.

quote:
They have free water. There are water fountains and even faucets in the concourse so you can refill your bottle.

try standing in line for water for 20 minutes while you're about to pass out from heat exhaustion.

quote:
They showed the half empty stadium on TV, kind of embarrassing.

once again, if you saw it on tv, you obviously weren't there. if you're such a die hard aggie, why weren't you at the game yourself? if health shouldn't matter to people, money, distance, etc should matter either. your ass shoulda been there. what a bad aggie.

quote:
My only reply would be that if my wife, who is 6 months pregnant, can handle the heat and stick it out to the end of three overtimes; a 20 year old student should sure be able to handle to it.

firstly, i'd like to know where you were. most likely on the alumni side, sitting in the shade.
secondly, that has to be one of the stupidest things you could ever do...being 6 months pregnant and sitting in 100 degree weather. doctors advise against even going into a sauna when you're pregnant because you just can't physically regulate your body temperature as well. way to put your unborn child's life at risk to watch an aggie game. that's redass, and i'm sure it definitely would have been worth it to be at that game, even if something had happened to your wife or child. stephen mcgee would likely agree with you and ask to name is firstborn child after you for putting your baby's life at risk to watch him in a non-conference football game.

Jiggedy Jared
quote:
06 is real old.

Thank you! I was really having a moment where I was concerned that I somehow got old overnight. I'm 23 (almost 24) and get told every day about how old I'm getting by my stupid girlfriend. I'm guessing she's just trying to annoy me into a proposal.
Charlie Moran
AG
Just got home and I can't believe people are complaining about fans leaving that game.I would not have made it if the west side stands weren't in the shade by halftime.How ANY student stood through that is amazing to me.It was the most unbearable awful game I've ever been to in regards to heat.

IF YOU DON'T GO TO THE GAME DON'T B*TCH ABOUT THE EFFORTS OF THOSE THAT DID! I LIVE IN FREAKIN KANSAS AND I WAS THERE AND SURVIVED TO THE END.

HATS OFF TO THE 12TH MAN.You students showed me a lot of guts and heart yesterday.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I saw a new Aggie dad with his 3-4 month old strapped to the front of him at half time.
I hope the baby is still alive.
He probably sat in section 102.
You sir, are a terrible father and a moron.
Professional Ag
I like how two of the people acting like the most hardcore Aggies on here are NoAC and Redstone.

NoAC and someone stealing his pizza/girlfriend.
Redstone and his book list that he hasn't read.
bobinator
AG
Just to point this out VERY and i mean VERY few people left because we played bad. It was actually completely the opposite. People were leaving because at that point nobody knew that 80% of the second half would be played under cloudcover, they didn't want to get to point of their friends heat exhaustion for those that didn't already have it, AND we were freaking beating the crap out of them at halftime and no reason to think we wouldn't do the same in the second half.
Ulrich
At halftime, I thought I was going to die happy before the game was over. Most of the second half, I thought I was going to live in mental agony.
txaggie_08
AG
I was there and sat in the student section on the third deck third row. I honestly didn't believe the heat was that unbearable. I drank heavily the night before and even tailgated that morning until gametime. While, at the game I drank about a gallon of water and poured some down my shirt to keep me cool. To me it wasnt so bad. But, I did go with a group of ten people and at the end only three of us were left. By the half the three of us were surrounded by empty seating after other students had left.
NoACDamnit
quote:
NoAC and someone stealing his pizza/girlfriend.

I still don't know how this myth started. I didn't have a girlfriend at the time. And I stand by my actions that night (I think most people would have done the same thing rather than instigating a fight with dozens of cops in the area.)

But that has nothing to do with the game. We pride ourselves on staying through thick and thin - especially the student body. We brag to other schools about staying until the end no matter how bad it might be. This weekend we didn't live up to that. Should we amend our traditions to supporting the team and staying until the end only for games in nice weather when we're winning?

---------------------------------------

Harry Potter just like the Smurfs and many other things are simply witchcraft made G Rated on the outside but underlying it is still witchcraft and is against the will of God.
Ulrich
We were blowing them out when most people left. hth.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Damn this thread is funny.
BTW - I grew up in Saudi Arabia, so I know firsthand how hot it is "over there". Of course as a kid, I didn't have to wear all the body armour, etc. And I believe you could go through 5-6 gallons a day when it's 120F+ and you're ready for combat.

But, we're not talking about that, we're talking about College Station, TX. I often feel guilty about making it through there in the late 80s early 90s. I wonder what it must have been like for those poor *******s in the 40s and 50s. I'm sure they probably all left the game early -- NOT!

I'd love to share my father's win over Rice story and why you have to stay until the end, but it would probably be lost on many. BTW - his 71 year old ass was in the stands on Saturday and he's not in the best of health - honestly.
AJ02
AG
quote:
But that has nothing to do with the game. We pride ourselves on staying through thick and thin - especially the student body. We brag to other schools about staying until the end no matter how bad it might be. This weekend we didn't live up to that. Should we amend our traditions to supporting the team and staying until the end only for games in nice weather when we're winning?

you're so pathetic. you seriously need to think about getting your priorities straight. it's people like you that give aggies a bad name. i hope i meet you in person someday so i can give you a swift kick to the junk for being such an idiot.
NoACDamnit
No YOU'RE pathetic!

That was constructive!

Harry Potter just like the Smurfs and many other things are simply witchcraft made G Rated on the outside but underlying it is still witchcraft and is against the will of God.
rhoswen
AG
quote:
it's people like you that give aggies a bad name. i hope i meet you in person someday so i can give you a swift kick to the junk for being such an idiot.

Talking about giving aggies a bad name, then goes on to threaten with physical violence AND call names.

Classy!
AJ02
AG
and you're still a dumbass
NoACDamnit
The epitome of Aggie spirit. You disagree with someone so you insult them and threaten them?

How about saying why my last statements were wrong?

AJ02
AG
yeah, i'm classless because i think it's ridiculous to come down on people and call them bad aggies for refusing to risk their health to watch a non-conference aggie football game.
dr81
I was at the game and left after halftime. Too hot for my wife and I.

I really could care less what anyone else thinks

If ANYONE thinks that I am less of an Aggie for have concerns for my family or myself
can KISS MY ASS and go straight to HELL
AJ02
AG
quote:
If the players can stay hydrated in pads while exerting themselves the entire time there's no reason for the student side to be empty like that.

no reason for the student side to be empty? are you kidding me? you really think it's worth the risk of heat stroke just to keep the stands completely full? seriously?

and i'm still waiting for you to state where your seats were exactly.
NoACDamnit
quote:
i'm classless because i think it's ridiculous

You could have simply said why you thought my statements were ridiculous. Instead you insulted me and threatened me. Yes, I would call that classless.

rhoswen
AG
Hey I'm on the side defending the students who left. But there are ways of doing that that don't resemble a playground contest over who gets the last swing.
sportsfreak1975
The heat wasn't too bad at the game. Whenever I would catch a small breeze, all of the sweat in my shirt and shorts really helped cool me off. Of course, there is something nasty about having sweat dripp off the bill of your cap and your marrrroooooon shirt fading onto your tan shorts.

{all sarcasm}
AJ02
AG
quote:
and i'm still waiting for you to state where your seats were exactly.

so....where were your seats, noAC?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.