Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Half empty stadium = mass migration in OT

17,925 Views | 317 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by WestTxAg06
gonemaroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it was the hottest game I have ever attended.

WTF is wrong at A&M where we are dying to get on TV so bad we subcomb to playing on Fox in the middle of the damn day...
Bullmoose
AG
They showed the migration on tv and I thought it was badass, like troops closing ranks and forging onward.
94chem
quote:
have no sympathy for anyone who gets heat exhaustion. Take care of yourself damn it! I have gotten heat exhaustion because I was stupid and didn't drink enough water while out on the trail. When you are in civilization with access to water, heat exhaustion should never an option. Only morons get heat exhaustion.

That's just simply not true. At a certain point, the body cannot replenish the water it loses. You basically just pour it through yourself. Furthermore, your arrogant statement shows a gross misunderstanding of electrolytes. Even superior athletes hve to carefully test their tolerance for sodium and potassium so they don't over-compensate when they re-hydrate during extended work-outs. Finally, some people simply can't tolerate excessive heat. It has little to do with hydration - the problem is that their core temperature simply doesn't self-regulate very well.

You're the only moron - I'm surprised a real doctor (I'm just a Ph.D. chemist) hasn't called you out on this.
Pro Sandy
AG
There is an extreme difference between fans watching a game and athletes.

hth
Karrde
AG
The '05 SMU game seemed like it had less humidity. The worst part of today was how fast you sweat.

Just from sitting in the stands from march-in to the spirit, my forearms sweat enough to soak my shorts. I went through 3 liters of water in the first half alone. I'm pretty sure I got through the entire SMU game on just a couple of liters.

After the band left the field I had to head under, and I was seriously considering leaving. I certainly don't blame those who did. A friend of mine left at halftime, and I'm glad he did because he was starting to look like heat stroke might be a problem.

Heck, if it wasn't for the cloud cover in the 3rd I might not have made it through the game. As it was, it just made the rain at the end so much nicer. Those of us left from our group just sat back down and enjoyed the rain after the war hymn. We all went through 4-5 liters apiece. It's pretty bad when you bring in a gallon each and you still have to start buying water at halftime.
94chem
quote:
There is an extreme difference between fans watching a game and athletes.

yep - the athletes have a training staff, IV's, several days before the game to eat carbs and electrolyte load. Still, most of them won't be walking normally until Tuesday.
94chem
quote:
Just from sitting in the stands from march-in to the spirit, my forearms sweat enough to soak my shorts.

Why do you wear shorts on your forearms?
Pro Sandy
AG
Fans have no excuse. They aren't exerting themselves anywhere near the level of athletes. Drink up! You are responsible for youself.
94chem
other hot times:

2003 Sunday regional against Cougar High
'93 Missouri game
'91 LSU game
Hanrahan
AG
First A&M gane I've left early from in.... I dunno.. EVER.

Damn Bryne for switching that game from 6pm to 230 so it could be on TV. That is just irresposible in this heat, especially with a student section that stands the entire game (I stand in 143).

I thought my wife was going to pass out, so we bailed a few minutes into the third.

That was just

[This message has been edited by ag_in_sugarland (edited 9/8/2007 10:34p).]
94chem
Fans should try V-8. They should sell it at the games. Water is useless after a while. For my needs, Powerade/Gatorade don't have nearly enough sodium.
SJEAg
AG
quote:

other hot times:

2003 Sunday regional against Cougar High
'93 Missouri game
'91 LSU game

95 LSU was brutal as well. My hottest game memory.
Karrde
AG
quote:
Why do you wear shorts on your forearms?

I don't. I do tend to lean forward with my forearms on my thighs while I'm sitting on the bleachers waiting for the game to start though.
Mowdy Ag
AG
...definitely the hottest game in all my years. I stayed but don't blame anyone who didn't (this time).

Aggie games are important, but not important enough to jeopardize your health.

MA
BCSGrubber
AG
The 2002 Tech game felt even hotter because it rained for like 5 mins to make it feel even more steamy
twk
AG
The students did a great job. My guess would be that 75% of the students who left early did so at haltime, not because they were 2%ers disgusted with they way we were playing, but simply because of the unbearable heat and humidity. The ones who stayed probably skewed more male and more fit, and they did a hell of a job when we needed. The shifting of the students from end to end was epic--where else would you see that?
grn ize ag87
There were a lot of 40 somethings and older (including us) in the 3rd deck horseshoe. The poor guy in front of us looked to be in his 70's. He left before halftime and didn't come back. When he stood up, I saw that he had soaked completely through his shirt and several inched down from the waistband of his chinos. I hope he was OK. We consumed substantial quantities of water, used our fans, and were wearing white shirts, and it was still brutal.
PhiAggie
AG
Do we have those shoulder pads that connect to the cooling tubes? I havent seen em.
EMY92
AG
I felt sorry for the students. I was in the shade from the middle of the first quarter and still thought it was hot.

I also prepared myself for the heat by upping my water intake for the last couple of days.
bdp514am
Did any of you who are ragging on the people that left go to this game. It was brutal. I worked outside all week long this week and working on my fence lines was a piece of cake compared to standing in section 143 during that first half. That is the most miserable I've ever felt at a sporting event.

I'm surprised more people didn't leave.
Ronnie
AG
I was shocked FSU didn't have cool zone fans on their sideline/didn't bring them.

Felt sorry for them.
AgAtAllTimes
AG
Dont any of you watch Bear Gryll, the survivor guy? Dealing with extreme heat is easy...you just take off your shirt, urinate on it and wrap it around your head...no problem

[This message has been edited by EasyAg (edited 9/8/2007 11:26p).]
FightinAggie07
AG
I concur with most of the posts here stating how hot it was. I too considered leaving this game early (and I never do). The only thing that saved me was my $4.00 large sprite. Worth every penny. Plus I banged that cup on the ribbon boards during OT so it is now my lucky cup.
vic99
AG
It was up there with 95 LSU. I'm guessing it was more humid today. The water weight lost through sweat was definitely up there.
McInnis 03
AG
When field temperature is measured at 140, whether the game is 145 or 135, they're all effin' hot.

I really can't blame anyone who didn't stay the entire time in the stands. Peoples health was in jeopardy, and when that's the case, it's no longer about football, it about doing what's best for the Aggies who may need medical attention.
Ag210
AG
the rain at the end was well worth it
Tafelmeier94
AG
We saw several people on stretchers & the 1st aid station was full the whole time we were there. The walkways & tunnels were filled with people watching the game b/c, even though it was hot in there too, they at least got some shade.

We spent about $40 on water & snow cones trying to stay hydrated.
AgKJ
AG
I watched the 18-22 year old students in mass exodus at halftime and didn't see any that looked like they were in distress.

To the contrary, they were giggling, talking on cell phones etc.

My 63 year old mother and 64 year old dad had no problem staying (and yelling) the entire game. Nor did my 9 year old son, nor my wife and I (30's).

To the students who DID stay - you guys are awesome. Wish your fellow students had The Spirit.
Wrec86 Ag
i was on the third deck and todays game was the worst ive ever been to- right there with SMU 05. I stayed the whole time but do not blame those who left. It was absolutely bruatl in the first half. Add to that we were up 19-0, and a lot of people chose to leave.

i was a part of the mass migration, and it was awesome, imo
linwvr
AgKJ it's people's right to leave if they are MISERABLE out there and how do you know they weren't with someone that was sick?

I really doubt you were STANDING for 4 hours with the sun in your face either...
Fat Black Swan
AG
I don't know which was worse today's game or SMU '05. I think what made the SMU game so bad was that it was my first game as a part of the 12th man and I wasn't use to standing at a football game for 3+ hours. Today it was waking up at 11:45 on 5 hours of sleep with a hangover and only eating one hotdog before the game.

Out of the eight people that I went to the game with today I was the only person left after halftime. I was also the only person who didn't get drunk before the game. I think next time they'll believe me when I tell them getting drunk before a game in September with a 2:30 start time is not a smart thing to do. Even though I'm starting peel already I got burned so bad, my first piss of the day about 15 minutes ago was brown, and I'm effing exhausted, I wouldn't trade today's experience for anything.

Ulrich
Stayed the whole game... I was wearing thick basketball shorts and going into halftime, they were completely soaked, even the top of the thighs... and my arms weren't resting on them. The only dry spot on my shirt was a bit on the front hem. My feet were squishing because so much sweat was running down into my socks, and my hands were wrinkled from the moisture. It was brutal, I'm still rehydrating. I guess I am obligated to say that I have spent a couple summers loading trucks outside, and I'm in good shape.

The wind, clouds, and eventually rain in the second half/OT/end of game were like a little bit of heaven.
bobinator
AG
I also stayed the whole time. I've never even THOUGHT of leaving a game early (and I was at SMU in '05) until today. It was just awful. Below the bleachers looked like a refugee camp. I can only imagine how bad it was on 3rd deck since the fish have never experienced an afternoon at Kyle before

hbc07
AG
bob, don't forget the new fish down on the first deck. not trying to say that their special for being in the corps, but having to wear B's in conditions such as that are an experience like no other
tske87
Stayed the whole game, sweat my ass off and yelled my ass off, third deck student side. However, I do not blame a single person for leaving due to the heat.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.