How would Caitlin Clark fare in Men's hoops?

24,659 Views | 303 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Fanatic15...Drs2B!
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I swear this is not a troll post nor meant to become an F16 topic but after watching this highlight reel from her game tonight, I'm convinced she could be an asset on many of team's floors. Including ours.

I'm not advocating for women in men's sports (and certainly not vice versa), believe me, but I see this and it was the first time in my life I thought to myself, huh, we're witnessing a true female version of Pete Maravich.

HersheyMonroe
LOL troll post
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
"I'm convinced she could be an asset on many of team's floors. Including ours."

Yea right. Comical
jja79
AG
Why not just enjoy an historically great player. The shots last night were insane. I'm old enough to know what Maravich did and have seen him. She's remarkable.
BudFox7
Who is watching women's basketball and are you retired?
Schrute Farms
WBB is great right now. They have an easily identifiable group of stars like Clark, Bueckers, HVL, and Angel Reese with great storylines.

Clark, however, would never see the court in MBB. She's phenomenal, but is 6'0" and already sees decreased production when playing teams with similar talent.
BudFox7
Big push on a social media for women's sports to be relevant to increase mind share and rev. It works on many ppl.
bobinator
AG
Good for the women's game that it's getting more popular, but she wouldn't be a scholarship player in men's basketball.
Know Your Enemy
AG
She'd get dominated by Hefner. Stop the madness.
greg.w.h
AG
Me thinks op protests too much on it not being a troll post or a F16 post…

Many intercollegiate women's basketball squads use men for scrimmaging against. Those would be the ones not on a Div I team much less starting. Hope that helps.
Kellso
BudFox7 said:

Caitlin Clark is a bigger star than any college baseball player of the last 10-20 years.

Womens college basketball is a bigger sport than college baseball.

Lets not forget that the biggest athletic accomplishment in Texas A&M's History was Gary Blair winning the 2011 National Title.
frenchtoast
The only time women's sports get much interest around here is if transgender athletes are involved.
t - cam
AG
She can shoot so I do think if you have some really good screen offense you may be able to free her up. She would not be able to guard anyone though.
bobinator
AG
I mean if she's gonna shoot 40 foot jumpers all game then maybe. But part of why she's wide open all the time is she can also drive it in the women's game but she wouldn't be able to do that in the men's game. You wouldn't have to respect her off the dribble at all.

And this is making the assumption she could shoot a men's ball just as well as she can a women's ball.
Lake08
Schrute Farms said:

WBB is great right now. They have an easily identifiable group of stars like Clark, Bueckers, HVL, and Angel Reese with great storylines.

Clark, however, would never see the court in MBB. She's phenomenal, but is 6'0" and already sees decreased production when playing teams with similar talent.

The storyline behind Angel Reese isn't great.
Texas A&M
She would kick people's ass if they only played HORSE. As for a real game, like other have said she'd have a real hard time getting any shot off (or guarding people).
GrayMatter
AG
Caitlin Clark is in the GOAT conversation in women's hoops.

I don't want to do that to her. I've enjoyed watching her play and went bonkers when they upset SC last year in the tournament. She is must watch television for true basketball fans. There's nothing she can't do on the court and I'm excited to see what unfolds during this year's tournament.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Lake08 said:

Schrute Farms said:

Right on brand. SMDH
_lefraud_
AG
Yea it's really weird how uncomfortable a black woman can make a white man feel in 2024
Schrute Farms
Lake08 said:

Schrute Farms said:

Top NIL earner, National Champion, provides a great antagonist with LSU & Mulkey, and has people willing to opine about her on a local men's basketball forum. Not bad for a college student.
Know Your Enemy
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Yea it's really weird how uncomfortable a black woman can make a white man feel in 2024

Check his posting history. It's a common theme. I don't really remember any poster names of people I haven't met IRL unless they're longtime posters on boards like this but he's the exception to that rule.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

He's exactly who I had in mind in the OP but I didn't want to call him out specifically. I'd make the trade any day of the week. She definitely wouldn't go 4 of 37 from three point land. Give her a tiny bit of space and she'd Curry up the place from anywhere on the court.
_lefraud_
AG
She would never catch a pass playing against men, much less get a shot off. Hefner can't guard anyone at this level but he would be able to lock her up.
bobinator
bobinator
AG
She'd never get that many shots off. Think of how slow and unathletic Hefner looks in some games and imagine he's six inches shorter and even slower.

MAYBE if you combine like Candace Parker's size and overall athleticism with Clark's shooting they could compete.
aginlakeway
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

He's exactly who I had in mind in the OP but I didn't want to call him out specifically. I'd make the trade any day of the week. She definitely wouldn't go 4 of 37 from three point land. Give her a tiny bit of space and she'd Curry up the place from anywhere on the court.

You would trade Hefner for her? That's ridiculous.

She won't likely be able to score a point against college men. She'd rarely get open. Her shot would get blocked easily. And the physical nature of the game would crush her on both ends of the court.

An average college women's team would lose to an average college men's team 100-10. And the women's team may run out of players due to injuries.
skaggsjw
AG
She's great. She might be able to space the court some for a team, but she would be a massive liability in every other category.
t - cam
AG
Just put her in the corner. There are men's players that this is their only responsibility on offense today.
Southlake
Woman's basketball is simply not men's basketball. One is played below the rim and one is played above the rim. One is played with strength and mobility and one is played with extended strength and mobility.

One is played with a smaller ball.

Generally, every player on a men's team can dunk.

Generally, no players on a woman's team can dunk.

It's really not even close. Kaitlin Clark couldn't score on any of the Aggie men's practice players in a game of one on one.

She is an outstanding Woman's basketball player. One of the all time bests.
sleepybeagle
AG
Southlake said:

Woman's basketball is simply not men's basketball. One is played below the rim and one is played above the rim. One is played with strength and mobility and one is played with extended strength and mobility.

One is played with a smaller ball.

Generally, every player on a men's team can dunk.

Generally, no players on a woman's team can dunk.

It's really not even close. Kaitlin Clark couldn't score on any of the Aggie men's practice players in a game of one on one.

She is an outstanding Woman's basketball player. One of the all time bests.
Yes - she is a crazy outstanding Woman's basketball player and I was excited to see her record setting shot - but what you said is true.

Can we just get this discussion over with once and for all and have the WNBA's all star team play a good H.S. boy's varsity team? We won't because it wouldn't even be close.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I don't know if they still do this but when I was at A&M one of my buddies was part of a group of guys that practiced against the girls team. They were HS hoopers that had no shot of playing college ball and they routinely beat our scholarship women's players. That should tell you all you need to know. A good HS team would beat a WNBA team every day of the week.
jphelmet
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

I don't know if they still do this but when I was at A&M one of my buddies was part of a group of guys that practiced against the girls team. They were HS hoopers that had no shot of playing college ball and they routinely beat our scholarship women's players. That should tell you all you need to know. A good HS team would beat a WNBA team every day of the week.

My brother played with some buddies as a practice team for the tcu women's team years ago in a season when they made the final 4. They would press the women's team and go on 30-0 runs routinely with them never getting the ball across half court. They obviously made the women's team better, but it wasn't even a challenge. My brother was good hs basketball player who was an average athlete and 6'-1".

When I was in HS, my freshman year, Jennifer Rizzoti who went on to play at UConn and the wnba was a senior. She scored 3,000 points in high school and was an incredible player and remarkable shooter. She couldn't beat any of the guys on the varsity basketball team one on one. Size, speed and strength are irreplaceable in basketball.

There are lots of women players that are as skilled or even better at shooting than their male counterparts. You still have to be able to get your shot off.

Frag
AG
She's not better than a below average male High School player. Stop it.
BudFox7
Kellso said:

BudFox7 said:

Caitlin Clark is a bigger star than any college baseball player of the last 10-20 years.

Womens college basketball is a bigger sport than college baseball.

Lets not forget that the biggest athletic accomplishment in Texas A&M's History was Gary Blair winning the 2011 National Title.

Legendary troll entry here
Medaggie
She would not be able to get the ball past half court so would never be more than catch/shoot.
She is not fast enough to get open against a decent defender.
Even if she gets a shot in the corner, the shooting window closes way toooo fast and she would likely get it blocked.

She may score a few points just sitting in the corner, but so would many other girls player.

Plus, what are you going to do with her on defense? It would be playing 5vs4. It would be like my 10 yr old kid trying to defend my drive and saying, "how do you do that" and I was never really any good.

Her stats are decent but at the end of the day she is still a sub .500 shooter. She is a sub .500 shooter and even the worse men defender would be many times better than the best female defender. She would be lucky to be a 20% shooter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.