How would Caitlin Clark fare in Men's hoops?

26,010 Views | 303 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Fanatic15...Drs2B!
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How long would it take her to learn to shoot with a different basketball?
Southlake
jja79 said:

How long would it take her to learn to shoot with a different basketball?
Have you ever really shot with a woman's basketball? Not only is it physically smaller for the same size hoop ( math), but it also spins better for jump shots is much easier to control.

It's a huge difference. I'm sure she could learn. I'm sure she would be very good at it. But, it's a lot harder.
Kellso
Caitlin Clark is easy on the eyes, and is a hell of a player. She is must watch TV.
Clark almost single handily led Iowa to the National Title last year only losing to Queen Mulkey in the Championship game.

Her shooting range is out of this world, and she makes the game look easy.
She is the very definition of a white hot star.

Southlake
johnnyblaze36 said:

nbbob said:

I swear it seems some of you know nothing about basketball and/or have never watched a game. Clark is a phenomenal women's CBB player. She is not, and never could be, even rostered based on production on men's CBB team. Enjoy her for what she is but don't embarrass yourself by saying she could make a D1 men's team in the SEC. I can't believe this is even a topic.
I played basketball my entire life through high school, watch every single Aggie game, and have run a March Madness pool for 30 years now.

So I'd like to think I know a little something about the sport I watch religiously. I made it a topic because people only see men dominating women's sports now and not the other way around and Caitlin Clark is the first woman I've seen that I think could perform decently well in a men's NCAA game. I know for sure she'd put you on skates.
But, could you dunk?
phatty26
Wouldn't
jja79
AG
That's why I asked. It's different.
91AggieLawyer
AG
jphelmet said:

Know Your Enemy said:

I don't know if they still do this but when I was at A&M one of my buddies was part of a group of guys that practiced against the girls team. They were HS hoopers that had no shot of playing college ball and they routinely beat our scholarship women's players. That should tell you all you need to know. A good HS team would beat a WNBA team every day of the week.

My brother played with some buddies as a practice team for the tcu women's team years ago in a season when they made the final 4. They would press the women's team and go on 30-0 runs routinely with them never getting the ball across half court. They obviously made the women's team better, but it wasn't even a challenge. My brother was good hs basketball player who was an average athlete and 6'-1".

When I was in HS, my freshman year, Jennifer Rizzoti who went on to play at UConn and the wnba was a senior. She scored 3,000 points in high school and was an incredible player and remarkable shooter. She couldn't beat any of the guys on the varsity basketball team one on one. Size, speed and strength are irreplaceable in basketball.

There are lots of women players that are as skilled or even better at shooting than their male counterparts. You still have to be able to get your shot off.

My experience is somewhat similar. Though not basketball, I dated a girl while in college (not at A&M at the time) who had been a high level DII tennis player. I didn't play in HS though started to (long story). She would beat me, but I could stay with her. She had a lot of trouble both with my serve (if it was on) and any shots that I hit with any power. The way she beat me was with finesse and shot placement, not to mention some fairly wicked topspin! I needed power and had her running all over the court. If I was on my stride, we'd play to a superset 8-6 like score. If not, it would be an 8-4 type set.

Years later, when I played at a company tournament, I was EASILY beaten by a guy in my department who played his freshman year at tech. He wasn't big, wasn't particularly hard hitting, but he had zero trouble with anything I hit at him. When he came to the net and I slammed one back at him, he didn't faze a bit -- just hit it back, while my girlfriend would have first gotten out of the way and then MAYBE have hit it. My game was laughable to him, but he was nice and rarely rubbed it in. Even though he was roughly an equivalent college player to her (level wise), he would have wiped her out 6-0, 6-0 in less than half an hour.
jja79
AG
Serena Williams was arguably the greatest woman tennis player ever. Any Murray was about number 200 men's player. She says he would beat her 6-0,6-0 in about 10 minutes.

Clark is spectacular at her sport. That's good enough.

Serious Lee
threads like this existed back when there was only one board for both hoops teams and it was just as embarassing then, as it is now.

"Who would win between Uconn womens team and Findlay Prep" was an actual thread.

"Women have superior fundamentals to make up for lack of athleticism".

Exhibit A of muh fundamentals:
Aston04
AG
jja79 said:

Serena Williams was arguably the greatest woman tennis player ever. Any Murray was about number 200 men's player. She says he would beat her 6-0,6-0 in about 10 minutes.

Andy Murray, in his prime was actually a really good player. Top 5 in the world, Olympian and grand slam champion.

You're mixing up him and they guy that actually did play Venus and Serena, who was ranked 200+ in the world. The story goes he smoked them both, after literally smoking/boozing with friends.

jja79
AG
If I recall correctly this was when Serena had fallen to around number 15 and Murray was around 200 but o could be wrong. The point is the same. The best woman cannot compete against good men. That doesn't diminish the greatness of the woman athlete in her sport. The suggestion that it could happen is absurd.
EliteZags
AG
Serious Lee said:

threads like this existed back when there was only one board for both hoops teams and it was just as embarassing then, as it is now.

"Who would win between Uconn womens team and Findlay Prep" was an actual thread.

"Women have superior fundamentals to make up for lack of athleticism".

Exhibit A of muh fundamentals:

yea but super impressive only 1 player fell down in that sequence
Kellso
Sabrina Ionescu almost beat Steph Curry tonight in the 3 point showdown.

All high level female basketball players grew up playing with their older brothers and other boys.
With Clarks range I'm sure she could hit some open 3's in a boys game.

Quote:

INDIANAPOLIS -- Stephen Curry might be considered the greatest shooter in basketball history. But Sabrina Ionescu certainly made him prove it Saturday night as part of NBA All-Star Weekend.
The Golden State Warriors guard edged the New York Liberty guard 29-26 in an NBA vs. WNBA 3-point contest -- the first of its kind.

Ionescu opened by making seven straight shots before finishing with a total score of 26 -- which happened to tie the highest score by any NBA player in the 3-point contest held earlier Saturday night and won by the Milwaukee Bucks' Damian Lillard.

Medaggie
This thread seems to go in 5 different directions.

I think everyone on here would agree she is a phenomenal female BB player. She makes highlight shots. But she still is a sub .500 shooter. Plus those 48% shots she does make, probably half would be blocked and the other 2/3 would be greatly altered. She would be lucky to be a 20% shooter in mens BB and a huge defensive liability.

Plus she would be perpetually injured. She would be giving up 40lbs and alot of muscles to most players she is guarding. Have we not learned anything from history? The women's National team #1 ranked in the world got boat raced by a 15 year old team. Cari Lloyd said, "They should beat us. Bigger, stronger, faster! ". These are 15 year olds who just started puberty.

This takes nothing from Clark who is phenomenal and one of the best female players I have seen. She would beat most men in a 3 point contest or a game of horse but neither are the same as playing basketball.

I have a 15 yr old daughter that plays travel volleyball. 13 and under, I would say a good girls team would beat most good boys team b/c boys are still clumsy and girls are going through puberty. But when puberty hits, the change is dramatic. At about 15 years, the script gets flipped because most boys are faster and will jump higher. At age 16, it starts to become just a different game. There are things these 16+ year olds do you just don't see in the girls game even at the college level. My money would be on a top National Boys 16 yr old team against the recent texas volleyball champs. The texas team would not be able to block their spikes and would not be able to hit over the blocks.
stallion6
AG
Kellso said:

BudFox7 said:

Who is watching women's basketball and are you retired?
Caitlin Clark is a bigger star than any college baseball player of the last 10-20 years.

Womens college basketball is a bigger sport than college baseball.

Lets not forget that the biggest athletic accomplishment in Texas A&M's History was Gary Blair winning the 2011 National Title.
Too much opinion in your post. I know it is all true to you and that is ok. I disagree with one and three. For example, I think many would point to Johnny's Heisman Trophy when asked to point to the most recent Texas A&m athletic accomplishment. I do not want to put down women's sports but the are secondary to mens sports. OP has a right to an opinion, however it is only meant to troll people. Your post is a close second.
Agthatbuilds
Lol. What a stupid premise and stupid thread.

No. Clark's great for what she is, but would be totally useless in men's basketball.

It's the game, but in name only. That's it. It's not the same sport. We already know- women's teams have a group of regular Joe's to practice against and the uswnt scrimmages the under 17 men's teams and gets blow out. Hell, some uswnt players recently played a team of retired Wrexham players and got smoked. Fat, old dudes completely destroyed the women.
Look at swimming, were average or below average males ares starting to win national championships competing as women.

Please put this thread to bed. It's dumb.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Kellso said:

Sabrina Ionescu almost beat Steph Curry tonight in the 3 point showdown.

All high level female basketball players grew up playing with their older brothers and other boys.
With Clarks range I'm sure she could hit some open 3's in a boys game.

Quote:

INDIANAPOLIS -- Stephen Curry might be considered the greatest shooter in basketball history. But Sabrina Ionescu certainly made him prove it Saturday night as part of NBA All-Star Weekend.
The Golden State Warriors guard edged the New York Liberty guard 29-26 in an NBA vs. WNBA 3-point contest -- the first of its kind.

Ionescu opened by making seven straight shots before finishing with a total score of 26 -- which happened to tie the highest score by any NBA player in the 3-point contest held earlier Saturday night and won by the Milwaukee Bucks' Damian Lillard.

Except she'd have to face defenders in an actual game. A shooting contest is completely different.
Kellso
stallion6 said:

Kellso said:

BudFox7 said:

Who is watching women's basketball and are you retired?
Caitlin Clark is a bigger star than any college baseball player of the last 10-20 years.

Womens college basketball is a bigger sport than college baseball.

Lets not forget that the biggest athletic accomplishment in Texas A&M's History was Gary Blair winning the 2011 National Title.
Too much opinion in your post. I know it is all true to you and that is ok. I disagree with one and three. For example, I think many would point to Johnny's Heisman Trophy when asked to point to the most recent Texas A&m athletic accomplishment. I do not want to put down women's sports but the are secondary to mens sports. OP has a right to an opinion, however it is only meant to troll people. Your post is a close second.
I could say the same for you. There's also too much opinion in your post.

I could buy your premise if Johnny Football had a career that resembled Patrick Mahomes, but we all know that won't happen.

A National Title outweighs a singular award. Put some respect on Gary Blairs name.

Women's basketball is secondary to football and basketball....that's it.
I could argue that Sheryl Swoopes(Texas Tech) Brittney Griner (Baylor) and Caitlin Clark (Iowa) are all more well known than any college baseball player of the past 20 years.

Women's College basketball gets more media coverage than any other college sports except for men's hoops, and football.
Agthatbuilds
Thanks espn. Notice how they combine men and women's scores together on their homepage.

Popularity is not what the OP was about. Nor does it make one competitive.

The worst men's college basketball player would start on any women's team. Clark wouldn't contribute to any men's team.

Hope that helps
frenchtoast
This threads still going on? Here I am to extend it.

Let women athletes stand on their own merit. I don't understand the compulsion people have to compare their accomplishments to men. It's two different games. Caitlin Clark is amazing and her record may not be broken for a long time.
Kellso
Agthatbuilds said:

Thanks espn. Notice how they combine men and women's scores together on their homepage.

The worst men's college basketball player would start on any women's team. Clark wouldn't contribute to any men's team.

Hope that helps
Men will tune in to watch cute women play sports. This is one of the reasons why Angel Reese and Caitlin Clark have turned into such big stars.

Gil Renard
AG
We got next.
zgolfz85
AG
Kellso said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Hope that helps
Men will tune in to watch cute women play sports. This is one of the reasons why Angel Reese and Caitlin Clark have turned into such big stars.

You lost me at angel and Caitlin being cute
91AggieLawyer
AG
Aston04 said:

jja79 said:

Andy Murray, in his prime was actually a really good player. Top 5 in the world, Olympian and grand slam champion.

You're mixing up him and they guy that actually did play Venus and Serena, who was ranked 200+ in the world. The story goes he smoked them both, after literally smoking/boozing with friends.

It doesn't matter. Chris Everett was married to John Lloyd in the '70s and she was the number 1 or 2 player, and he was roughly 200-ish, maybe even lower. Now that I'm thinking about it, he may not even have been ranked. She said he beat her easily.

The thing that makes basketball a little different from tennis is that is Clark gets open for a three, she can nail that regardless of who she's playing.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Can she do the same with a bigger ball.? The margin for error is significantly less.
George Costanza
"My brother played with some buddies as a practice team for the tcu women's team years ago in a season when they made the final 4."

When did TCU make the Final Four?
Craigy
Frag said:

Junior high maybe. You're trolling.

johnnyblaze36 said:

Frag said:

She's not better than a below average male High School player. Stop it.
No you stop it. She'd school the **** out of any below average male high school player.

She would destroy the bottom 600,000 Boys high school basketball players in the US and the WNBA champions would get beat by 6A Texas Boys Champions. Both are very true
ExPeterKeating
So, if you watched ISU @ UH last night, imagine her playing in that physical realm. Not a chance.
BudFox7
Thread is great proof that many can be convinced of anything if the NPCs say it enough.
Agthatbuilds
Tennis or golf, maybe.

Basketball? Lol, there's no eye candy during the game
Kellso
ExPeterKeating said:

So, if you watched ISU @ UH last night, imagine her playing in that physical realm. Not a chance.
Yeah....but those are also 2 of the top 8 teams in the entire country.
The Houston Cougars are probably the best team in the entire country. Don't be surprised to see a bunch of Houstonians hanging around Scottsdale during the upcoming 2024 Final Four.

Could Caitlin Clark or Sherly Swoopes play for the San Antonio Spurs? Probably not.
But what if we are talking about Vanderbilt or Arkansas St?
Stephen F Austin or Tarleton St?

This is where the discussion gets interesting. What would you be willing to do to add additional shooting talent to your team?
jphelmet
AG
Kellso said:

ExPeterKeating said:

Yeah....but those are also 2 of the top 8 teams in the entire country.
The Houston Cougars are probably the best team in the entire country. Don't be surprised to see a bunch of Houstonians hanging around Scottsdale during the upcoming 2024 Final Four.

Could Caitlin Clark or Sherly Swoopes play for the San Antonio Spurs? Probably not.
But what if we are talking about Vanderbilt or Arkansas St?
Stephen F Austin or Tarleton St?

This is where the discussion gets interesting. What would you be willing to do to add additional shooting talent to your team?

She is 6' and comparatively to the talent on the court would be the slowest player by far, and have the worst vertical on the floor. No she would be no help. The number 12 guy on tarleton state's bench would easily be able to shut her down.

If you think she would you simply don't understand the difference between athletic ability.

Agthatbuilds
No, she couldn't.

It's not even a discussion.

You talking sfa, who beat Duke on dukes court and put 2 guys into the NBA development leagues recently?
_lefraud_
AG
Kellso failed biology class.

Caitlin Clark would not be physically able to get open to catch a ball, much less get a shot off.
TexasAGGIEinAR
Similar to how everyone used to ask if Alabama could beat a pro team in football. No, they would be bludgeoned. Caitlin Clark is a great women's basketball player, but she would get run over if she attempted playing with men. See the US Women's Soccer team getting beat up on by old, fat Englishmen and by teenage boys in the DFW area. Sha'Carri Richardson wouldn't even qualify for a main heat of sprints on a men's track team. It's just reality.

That being said, not taking away from Clark. She's an unbelievable talent and a once in a lifetime athlete in her respective sport. It'll be years before we see anyone remotely close to overtaking her accomplishments.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.