How would Caitlin Clark fare in Men's hoops?

26,011 Views | 303 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Fanatic15...Drs2B!
GoAgs92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I read this article in the Atlantic after subverting the paywall about her practicing against and dominating the men practice squad.

The men who practice against Caitlin Clark can't stop her either - The Athletic

A few things stuck out, the men would get yelled at if they did athletic things the future opponent couldn't do. Most of the men had played in HS and some were really good HS players and she is better than them.

So I think she could play against men but no way at the Division 1 level, and she wouldn't be a star as there are no stars in Division 3.
Aston04
AG
That fact we are on the 5th page of this is hilarious. She would have no chance with the (height, weight, length, quickness) physicality of the men's game. She would be destroyed, except for the fact she would never play, so there's that.

Hell, even some co-ed running on the court at OSU bumped into her and she went down like she had a gun shot wound.
Kellso
GoAgs92 said:

I read this article in the Atlantic after subverting the paywall about her practicing against and dominating the men practice squad.

A few things stuck out, the men would get yelled at if they did athletic things the future opponent couldn't do. Most of the men had played in HS and some were really good HS players and she is better than them.

So I think she could play against men but no way at the Division 1 level, and she wouldn't be a star as there are no stars in Division 3.
I'm watching Mugsy Bogues highlights and who would have ever thought someone the height of a small woman could have a lasting career in the NBA.

Mugys was 5'3 and carved out a long career in the NBA.
Anyone that can shoot can stretch the court. Who's to say that Caitlin Clark couldn't be someone that just shoots threes.

GoAgs92
AG
He was phenom who could also slam dunk with ease at 5'3".

She could possibly play at Sul Ross State or something low level but NBA...get out of here.

jja79
AG
I'll say it. She couldn't. I'll be tuned in tonight to watch her against Indiana because she's phenomenal but this is ridiculous.
guadalupeag
In July 1988 Florence Griffith-Joyner set the world record in the women's 100m at 10.49 seconds at the US Olympic Trials. That record still stands today.

In May 1988 6 high school boys ran faster than that at the UIL state track meet. 6 boys 18 and under, from 1 state, ran faster than the fastest woman ever.

Sprinting is obviously not basketball, but it highlights the difference between even the greatest female athletes and above average male athletes. Clark is fun to watch and great in her sport, but she would have no chance against men.
greg.w.h
AG
Kellso said:

GoAgs92 said:

I'm watching Mugsy Bogues highlights and who would have ever thought someone the height of a small woman could have a lasting career in the NBA.

Mugys was 5'3 and carved out a long career in the NBA.
Anyone that can shoot can stretch the court. Who's to say that Caitlin Clark couldn't be someone that just shoots threes.

To be clear…

"After leaving the NBA, Bogues worked in the real estate business until August 3, 2005, when he was named head coach of the Charlotte Sting in the Women's National Basketball Association, despite a lack of coaching experience. He was shorter than all of his playersat 5 ft 6 in (1.68 m), Helen Darling was the shortest Sting player. Bogues led the Sting to a 1430 record before the team folded in January 2007."
jja79
AG
Iowa plays at 630 on Peacock.
Medaggie
Statistics matter.

#1 she is a sub 50% shooter and averages 4.5 turnovers in her career. She would get demolished in Div III.
If she shoots sub .500, how is she going to shoot anywhere above .250? She averages close to 5 turnovers a game. Let this sink in. close to 5. She would be a turnover machine. She can't drive past or shoot over anyone defending her. Her passes would be the slowest of anyone on the court. What is she going to do when she gets the ball? Her only chance is to catch and shoot b/c her defender is helping out or gets bored.

#2. Explain to me what she is going to do on the defensive side. Basketball isn't just playing offense, you play half the time on defense. Who is she going to guard?

She is the only college player I know. She has great highlights. Generational. But she plays against girls and half of them are bad players. A top 1000 HS boys recruit would literally break every record if he played women's college basketball. Imagine a top 1000 PG who gets the ball, he would literally race down for a layup every time. I mean EVERY time. Guys play above the rim. Who is going to challenge his layups and dunks?
Kellso
GoAgs92 said:

He was phenom who could also slam dunk with ease at 5'3".

She could possibly play at Sul Ross State or something low level but NBA...get out of here.

I wasn't stating that Clark could play in the NBA.
Could she play against Iowa St or Houston? Hell Naw.....but that's not really the debate.

What I was stating is that if a 5'3 player could last a decade in the NBA......whose to say that an extremely elite female shooter (who's over 6 ft) couldn't contribute on a lower level college basketball team with her shooting ability?

All of the top female players grew up playing against men.
Most great female basketball players are great because they grew up playing with their older brothers or fathers.....who may have also been hoopers.

You telling me Caitlin Clark couldn't be a female JJ Reddick, Steve Kerr, or John Paxton?
The spot up shooter with the fundamental shooting technique and ability?
jja79
AG
100% no. Did you watch Indiana completely nullify her with a taller defender last night. She scored 4 points in the second half against girls. She's 6', 145# or so and would get beat to a pulp in the highly unlikely event she ever got the ball. I've been watching her this year and she's remarkable. Why can't people just enjoy her historic career in her sport without wondering how she would do in a completely different sport.

She scores a lot of points by driving the lane and beating her girl to the rim. No chance against men. She's an incredible passer but the defenders aren't as long and athletic as men. She's a volume shooter but Indiana completely took her out of the game with the bigger defender. She could barely get the ball.

She is the GOAT, is amazing and we may never see it again in that sport which is a different sport than the one in this topic.

Also why the need to diss an Aggie on our team during this discussion.

There have been ridiculous threads on Texags over time and this one is way up the list.
Know Your Enemy
AG
She's barely taller than Wade ****ing Taylor and even he struggles when larger defenders are guarding him. Stop this asinine discussion already.
wasntme
Can she coach?
EliteZags
AG
Kellso said:

You telling me Caitlin Clark couldn't be a female JJ Reddick, Steve Kerr, or John Paxton?
as in players that churn out 12+year NBA careers from shooting ability?

many forget how Reddick dominated the ACC (with better 3pt and FT %s) and still #2 all time scoring leader
bobinator
AG
I don't want to read back through this whole thread so can someone just make me a list of people who think Clark could compete in men's basketball so i know whose opinions i don't need to take seriously anymore?
Frag
AG
johnnyblaze36 and kellso

bobinator said:

I don't want to read back through this whole thread so can someone just make me a list of people who think Clark could compete in men's basketball so i know whose opinions i don't need to take seriously anymore?
jja79
AG
I do believe this is the dumbest thread in Texags history. If it had to be it should have been the OP and one reply NO.
bobinator
AG
I dunno... that's a high bar man. Just on this board is thinking Clark could compete with men dumber than thinking winning several games in the NIT is better than just making an appearance in the NCAA Tournament?
Agthatbuilds
Rogues is a million times the player Clark is. Hth
jja79
AG
True. Both may be topped by Gabe once posting that if Johnny Football practiced golf for a while he could be one of the leaders in the final round of the US Open.
EliteZags
AG
JFF would be an unstoppable force in wbb
JJxvi
AG
What about womens golf?
Medaggie
Kellso said:

She is an extremely elite female shooter (who's over 6 ft) couldn't contribute on a lower level college basketball team with her shooting ability?
I think Clark is amazing and a generational talent. I think she would be a good player in the WNBA but won't dominate.

JJ redick avg 20 pts/game in his career and 27pts/gm his senior year in the ACC. Wooden award his senior year

Kerr was an All American. Career 55% shooter

John Paxton was 2nd team all American his senior year. Career 53% shooter.

I think you watch way too much Clark highlights, especially the near half court shots. Looks great but you don't see all of her misses from those distances.

You just need to look at statistics. Clark is a sub .500 shooter this year and for her career.

You also haven't explained what she would do on the defensive side where it would literally be 5 vs 4.

Clark is a great side show for women's bb and she would beat many college players in a game of horse, but it ends there.

Where are you getting she is an extremely elite female shooter? She shoots under 50% against bad players.

I am a 50 yr old guy who played lower level rec league in college. I haven't touched the ball for 20 years. I coached my son's boys 5th grade team (lower level and most barely can dribble) and we played the girls 8th grade team (top level) with some girls as tall as me 5'8". My jumping and quickly greatly diminished. My jump shot is terrible b/c my legs are shot. A 5th grade boys bottom team vs the 8th grade top team would have been 40 to 0, the boys can barely dribble. Just with me playing for the boys, we won 30 to 26 and I may have scored all 30 points. None of the girls could stay in front of me and just a layup drill. I got every rebound that I was near. Blocked shots. And this is from a 50 yr old guy who hasn't touched the ball in 30 years.
jja79
AG
JJxvi said:

What about womens golf?

No
BudFox7
The boredom in your life where women's Bball is this high on your radar must be brutal
spherical
AG
GoAgs92 said:

Was searching for this - too bad it's behind a paywall, i caught it on Apple News once, but it addresses the entirety of the topic. Specifically interviews men that play against her. Was a good read. Basically yes- often the men are way out front , but there are clearly times when she goes off and is pretty unstoppable.

Similar article I think- tho I haven't read it all.

https://www.sbnation.com/wnba/2019/5/23/18636639/wnba-male-practice-squads
jja79
AG
BudFox7 said:

The boredom in your life where women's Bball is this high on your radar must be brutal

I've been watching her games and I'm not bored at all. I also know for a fact she couldn't compete against men but is awesome against women which is how it's supposed to be.
TopoTacos
AG
Kellso said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Thanks espn. Notice how they combine men and women's scores together on their homepage.

Popularity is not what the OP was about. Nor does it make one competitive.

The worst men's college basketball player would start on any women's team. Clark wouldn't contribute to any men's team.

Hope that helps
Men will tune in to watch cute women play sports. This is one of the reasons why Angel Reese and Caitlin Clark have turned into such big stars.

Also, despite the demographics of this website, women make up 50% of the population and that's a market that sports media is VERY eager to tap. I'm sure CBS execs dove into a pile of money, Scrooge McDuck style, when the Chiefs made it to the Super Bowl (and the ratings backed it up).

Steph v. Sabrina was not only the most fun event of All-Star Saturday, it was also the biggest ratings bump of the night.

Again, the players aren't the ones who argue about how Caitlin Clark, or Paige Bueckers, or Kelsey Plum, or Aja Wilson would fare against the men's teams. They all just want to be able to hoop
aeon-ag
she wouldn't last 5 minutes in mens game!!!
bobinator
AG
I blame this thread for our current losing streak.
Method Man
Women don't care about women's basketball. No one does.
jja79
AG
That isn't true at all.
Method Man
It's totally true.
jja79
AG
Just because it's your truth doesn't change the fact it's a blatant lie.
Aston04
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.