How would Caitlin Clark fare in Men's hoops?

26,032 Views | 303 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Fanatic15...Drs2B!
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jja79 said:

Just because it's your truth doesn't change the fact it's a blatant lie.
explain how its a lie, with facts to back it up
Kellso
PatAg said:

jja79 said:

Stating that "no one" watches women's basketball is a total lie.

Women's college basketball is the 3rd biggest college sport behind football and mens basketball.
Angel Reese, Brittney Griner and Caitlin Clark are all bigger college stars than any college baseball player of the past 20 years.

A team with a great women's basketball program is probably going to do better at revenue sports than a school that is only good at baseball or softball.

Geno Aureniemma, and Kim Mulkey are more well known than any college baseball coach.
Agthatbuilds
That's fine and all.....

But, it doesn't mean Clark could produce any meaningful contributions to a single men's ncaa team.
Frag
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

That's fine and all.....

But, it doesn't mean Clark could produce any meaningful contributions to a single men's high school team.
greg.w.h
AG
Kellso said:

PatAg said:

jja79 said:

Stating that "no one" watches women's basketball is a total lie.

Women's college basketball is the 3rd biggest college sport behind football and mens basketball.
Angel Reese, Brittney Griner and Caitlin Clark are all bigger college stars than any college baseball player of the past 20 years.

A team with a great women's basketball program is probably going to do better at revenue sports than a school that is only good at baseball or softball.

Geno Aureniemma, and Kim Mulkey are more well known than any college baseball coach.

Your political trolling is still barely just trolling. Are you sure you don't want to go live in a forum that appreciates your effort to stir things up?
czar_iv
AG
jja79 said:

How long would it take her to learn to shoot with a different basketball?
Not long ... she is probably the best female college shooter in the history of the game. Honestly IMO your thinking is why Buzz' team don't have consistent scoring and basketball skill. You can't win in basketball with only defense. We have to have a decent mix. Caitlin would help this team because this team is such a poor shooting team. Will she help a top 30 shooting college team? Probably not. Buzz needs to recruit this talent and stop thinking he can develop it. Review our 3pt percentages of this team. They are terrible and we don't really shoot a lot of bad 3s except for Taylor. This is about shooting talent -- https://12thman.com/documents/2024/2/21/TAMU_Combined_Box.pdf

Turnover your roster like everyone else and treat it like a business or quit.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
Agthatbuilds
You think she'd out perform someone like bj holmes? What about Josh carter?

What about acie law? Law only has about 2.5 or 3 inches on Clark. You think Clark would outperform or even come close to him?

Just trying guage where we might expect her to contribute.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I wonder if Kansas message boards have a dumb thread discussing this topic. Maybe bobinator can clear that up for us.
DTP02
AG
I think someone may have mentioned this already, but since this thread was originally posted we've had four straight losses including a few of our worst performances of the season.

It could well be karma for the existence of the OP and the handful of posters who believe Clark could actually play for a men's team at this level. Maybe a team which has fans like that doesn't deserve to make the NCAA tourney.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I figured the falling apart of our team would be attributed to us chanting overrated at Tennessee. Because you know that's how sports works.
Agthatbuilds
Espn is on the hype train. They say she's only 18 points from breaking his record.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39604902/comparing-similar-skills-caitlin-clark-iowa-hawkeyes-pistol-pete-maravich-lsu-tigers

But, wait. Pete didn't have a three point line. And, imagine this, they don't play the same ****ing sport.

This is the problem OP. Why are we comparing all time men and women goats? They stand in their own rights. Clark is not even half what pistol Pete was, relative to each other.

jja79
AG
PatAg said:

jja79 said:

It's on the Fox Network today with Gus Johnson. 15,000 there. Last Sunday at Indiana they sold out Assembly Hall. And no she couldn't play men's basketball but she's special in her sport.
Muy
AG
Saying she is the highest scoring leader against men's college players is an insult. She's the greatest female scorer who wouldn't get a shot off in major D-1 men's basketball.
Muy
AG
Oh, and Frisco HS would destroy her team.
Kellso
bobinator said:

I blame this thread for our current losing streak.
The losing streak is over, but the discussion continues.

Caitlin Clark is set to be the #1 pick in the upcoming WNBA draft.
The question they are asking in the media is if Caitlin Clark and Angel Rees will be the new Bird and Magic for the WNBA?

Will Caitlin Clark continue to be the pied piper in the pros?
This remains to be seen.
South Platte
She breaks Pete's scoring record. In 4 years, vs. his 3. In 130 games vs. his 83. With the 3-point arc.

It's fine. Good for her, she seems like a good person. She's obviously put in countless hours of work to get where she is.
DTP02
AG
South Platte said:

She breaks Pete's scoring record. In 4 years, vs. his 3. In 130 games vs. his 83. With the 3-point arc.

It's fine. Good for her, she seems like a good person. She's obviously put in countless hours of work to get where she is.

You missed the biggest differentiator: women's basketball vs men's basketball.

Makes zero sense to compare scoring records across what are essentially different sports

It's not like comparing Hockey to basketball, but it is like comparing a high school scoring record vs a college or pro scoring record.

It's a manufactured story. To actually break Pete's scoring record, she would have needed to do it in men's college basketball. It's stupid to even try to compare.
South Platte
DTP02 said:

South Platte said:

Makes zero sense to compare scoring records across what are essentially different sports

It's not like comparing Hockey to basketball, but it is like comparing a high school scoring record vs a college or pro scoring record.

It's a manufactured story. To actually break Pete's scoring record, she would have needed to do it in men's college basketball. It's stupid to even try to compare.
Everybody already understands this. It's not that big of a deal, no need for people to get offended with the comparison.
Kellso
DTP02 said:

South Platte said:

Its not a manufactured story. The all time leading scorer in college basketball history is a big story and a big deal.
There is a 200 plus response thread on texags.com about this womens college basketball player from Iowa who happens to be a phenom. Caitlin Clark is that big of a deal. She is box office. She is worth the price of admission.

The media is salivating at trying to see if Caitlin Clark-Angel Reese ends up being Bird-Magic on the womens side of the game.
They are going to start marketing the hell out of these two during March Madness.
akm91
AG
It's overhyped, not manufactured. She's an awesome basketball player but don't compare accomplishments across genders. While the rules of the game are the same, the sport is played drastically differently.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
DTP02
AG
South Platte said:

DTP02 said:

South Platte said:

Everybody already understands this. It's not that big of a deal, no need for people to get offended with the comparison.

You're the one who presented three different reasons that the "record" comparison was apples and oranges. What's the point of even getting to that level of scrutiny? They're different sports.
Agthatbuilds
Kellso said:

DTP02 said:

South Platte said:

Its not a manufactured story. The all time leading scorer in college basketball history is a big story and a big deal.
There is a 200 plus response thread on texags.com about this womens college basketball player from Iowa who happens to be a phenom. Caitlin Clark is that big of a deal. She is box office. She is worth the price of admission.

The media is salivating at trying to see if Caitlin Clark-Angel Reese ends being Bird-Magic on the womens side of the game.
They are going to start marketing the hell out of these two during March Madness.

*women's college basketball

It's not the same sport, despite your delusions
SA-AG72
AG
6 pages so far. smdh!
GoAgs92
AG
Look, if Mavis "Swish" Washington can play for Cadwallader University's men's team and even make the winning bucket over ranked Nevada State, I don't see why Caitlin cannot come off the bench in garbage time for Sul Ross.
Agthatbuilds
And Sarah fuller kicked off for vandy

Method Man
She's really good. For a girl.
94chem
My daughter is a D1 track athlete. Watching her come around the final curve in the 800, turning on the jets and tracking down the other runners was a thing of beauty. She won the district, and almost made it to the 6A state meet. She was on the podium two times in 4 years at the state XC meet.

My son is a HS sophomore. He is a decent jv runner. His 5K PR is already faster than hers. He will probably beat her 800 time this season.

So...freaking...what. It is beautiful to watch a dominant athlete do his or her thing. It is awesome to admire and respect greatness in its context.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
KyleAsInKyleField
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

I swear this is not a troll post nor meant to become an F16 topic but after watching this highlight reel from her game tonight, I'm convinced she could be an asset on many of team's floors. Including ours.

I'm not advocating for women in men's sports (and certainly not vice versa), believe me, but I see this and it was the first time in my life I thought to myself, huh, we're witnessing a true female version of Pete Maravich.

If you want a genuine answer to this, the highest level she would be able to play would be against middling varsity high school players. She is not strong enough or good enough on defense to do anything, and the offensive game would just revolve around the tallest guy blocking her shot. She is a great player and I really enjoy the women's game (have been to most of ours this season) but she just does not have the capability to play against men.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Perhaps we'll get to see soon enough, albeit at a completely different level than hypotheized on in the OP:

Know Your Enemy
AG
Know Your Enemy
AG
Oops, I was beaten to the punch.
_lefraud_
AG
That offer has nothing to do with her ability and everything to do with putting butts in the seats.

Great move by Ice Cube but a huge risk by Clark
Faustus
Her known 11 NIL deals now are worth a combined estimate of $3.1 million dollars.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/caitlin-clark-nil-deals-money-iowa-nike-sponsors-2024/e58534cadc3b2960663a36cb

She can afford to play for relative cents on the dollar in the WNBA, while still raking in endorsement money. I'm not sure it's worth the circus to play in the BIG3, although I can see how it would certainly be worth the pub from Ice Cube's perspective.
Iowaggie
AG
My parents love watching Caitlin Clark. I appreciate everything she has done for the university and the sport. Her sticking around Iowa for 4 years reminds me of when your favorite college FB or basketball player used to stick around through their senior year before going to the pros.

Saying that, I hate these conversations about whether she could play in the men's game because it's just worthless ESPN First Take kind of conversation. I hate these conversations because in the end, Clark's accomplishments get trivialized. She's been great for the sport, especially attendance and viewership, and that's great. Nobody needs to ask about her playing men's ball.

The best women sprinters in the world couldn't make the D3 NCAA finals in the 100 m dash. Could Clark be a role player for a D3 team is probably a better question, but that's stupid too.

What she is doing is awesome. Just like what the 2022-23 Georgia Bulldogs did in Football was dominating, but someone always has to start asking, "Could they have beat the Texans". Just appreciate seeing greatness.

EliteZags
AG
Iowaggie said:

Her sticking around Iowa for 4 years reminds me of when your favorite college FB or basketball player used to stick around through their senior year before going to the pros.

LOL sticking around as opposed to what? Making tens of thousands of dollars playing in front of dozens of fans in the wnba?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.