How would Caitlin Clark fare in Men's hoops?

26,024 Views | 303 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Kellso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agthatbuilds said:

Kellso said:

DTP02 said:

South Platte said:

She breaks Pete's scoring record. In 4 years, vs. his 3. In 130 games vs. his 83. With the 3-point arc.

It's fine. Good for her, she seems like a good person. She's obviously put in countless hours of work to get where she is.

You missed the biggest differentiator: women's basketball vs men's basketball.

Makes zero sense to compare scoring records across what are essentially different sports

It's not like comparing Hockey to basketball, but it is like comparing a high school scoring record vs a college or pro scoring record.

It's a manufactured story. To actually break Pete's scoring record, she would have needed to do it in men's college basketball. It's stupid to even try to compare.
Its not a manufactured story. The all time leading scorer in college basketball history is a big story and a big deal.
There is a 200 plus response thread on texags.com about this womens college basketball player from Iowa who happens to be a phenom. Caitlin Clark is that big of a deal. She is box office. She is worth the price of admission.

The media is salivating at trying to see if Caitlin Clark-Angel Reese ends being Bird-Magic on the womens side of the game.
They are going to start marketing the hell out of these two during March Madness.

*women's college basketball

It's not the same sport, despite your delusions
Rob Parker states that Caitlin Clark would thrive in todays NBA because its soft. Gone are the days when the Bad Boy Pistons would make you pay for driving down the lane. If you can shoot.....you gotta chance.

Bunk Moreland
Kellso said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Kellso said:

DTP02 said:

South Platte said:

She breaks Pete's scoring record. In 4 years, vs. his 3. In 130 games vs. his 83. With the 3-point arc.

It's fine. Good for her, she seems like a good person. She's obviously put in countless hours of work to get where she is.

Makes zero sense to compare scoring records across what are essentially different sports

It's not like comparing Hockey to basketball, but it is like comparing a high school scoring record vs a college or pro scoring record.

It's a manufactured story. To actually break Pete's scoring record, she would have needed to do it in men's college basketball. It's stupid to even try to compare.
Its not a manufactured story. The all time leading scorer in college basketball history is a big story and a big deal.
There is a 200 plus response thread on texags.com about this womens college basketball player from Iowa who happens to be a phenom. Caitlin Clark is that big of a deal. She is box office. She is worth the price of admission.

The media is salivating at trying to see if Caitlin Clark-Angel Reese ends being Bird-Magic on the womens side of the game.
They are going to start marketing the hell out of these two during March Madness.

Rob Parker states that Caitlin Clark would thrive in todays NBA because its soft. Gone are the days when the Bad Boy Pistons would make you pay for driving down the lane. If you can shoot.....you gotta chance.

Rob Parker is a moron, or he's intentionally saying this because he knows it will get him attention/clicks/listens. Or he's both.

I love the CC story. I think she's by far been the biggest story in basketball at any level/gender the last 12+ months.

But no, she would not thrive in today's NBA. She would get suffocated. She is not quick enough or athletic enough to create her own shot. She couldn't defend a single player in the league.
Agthatbuilds
Kellso said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Kellso said:

DTP02 said:

South Platte said:

That's the stupidest thing I've heard yet.

The physicality isn't the primary issue. The size, athletic ability, quickness, defensive needs are all more impactful for clark than the physicality, though the physicality would definitely not be in her decor, despite what this bozo claims about the alleged softness of the modern NBA.

She'd still not be able to drive, play defense, run through screens, and would be forced to shoot depr threes over guys likely to be at least 6" inches taller than her.

Why can't you just let her be great for what she is, a female college ball player?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
She can cuss with the best!
slatermikan
Nobody who played beyond jv level would ever see this as remotely possible. Yes, she is a great "open" shooter, but open against NBA players is far different than it is against female collegians. Think of the growing pains quarterbacks experience when going to the NFL---the windows become smaller and smaller. CC would find out pro players need 1-2 steps to move from the lane to the 3 pt line.
I would ask Parker and some of the other mouths why they think Clark could make a team and contribute when a 6'1'' guard who has twice won the NBA dunk contest can't get out of the G-league.
BudFox7
She might be competitive in lower level boys high school games, like JV.
Pumpkinhead
AG
She'd get absolutely crushed in a men's A-League game at the Rec.
Kellso
Kellso said:

DTP02 said:

South Platte said:

The media is salivating at trying to see if Caitlin Clark-Angel Reese ends up being Bird-Magic on the womens side of the game.

As I said....with college players now able to cash in on NIL the hype train around Caitlin Clark has reach astronomical levels. She is now staring in nationally syndicated commercials which have pushed her annual NIL earnings pass $4 million/year.

Clark will be taking a pay cut if she goes to the WNBA.

TopoTacos
AG
She'll be taking a pay cut to come up to the WNBA, but we're about to see how much of her fame carries up a league. It won't eclipse the college game just yet because so many casual fans are drawn in to the pageantry and traditions of their schools, but we're definitely seeing more cultural breakthrough by stars in the NCAAW ranks who will be taking their talents to the professionals (Clark, Paige Bueckers, Juju Watkins, Angel Reese).

No on is expecting it to reach the men's popularity anytime soon, but there is a large market of female sports fans who will probably tune in to catch an Indiana Fever vs. NY Liberty game next year.
Agthatbuilds
The hype machine goes away too.

78k for rookies.
TyHolden
AG
2:30....get ready
greg.w.h
AG
Kellso said:

Kellso said:

DTP02 said:

South Platte said:

The media is salivating at trying to see if Caitlin Clark-Angel Reese ends up being Bird-Magic on the womens side of the game.

As I said....with college players now able to cash in on NIL the hype train around Caitlin Clark has reach astronomical levels. She is now staring in nationally syndicated commercials which have pushed her annual NIL earnings pass $4 million/year.

Clark will be taking a pay cut if she goes to the WNBA.

Why do you think her national NIL deals go away?
TyHolden
AG
I just listened to her post game and she talks as fast as Jimbo. It was hard to keep up. I look forward to LSU/Iowa. I've never looked forward to a women's basketball game that wasn't A&M. The media did their job....very well.
BudFox7
This is a great case study in the power of media. People can be convinced of and monetized on literally anything. Even that women's basketball is entertaining.
BartInLA
What about Kaitlyn Jenner - she is a beast!
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
BudFox7 said:

This is a great case study in the power of media. People can be convinced of and monetized on literally anything. Even that women's basketball is entertaining.

Remember 2011 national championship game between A&M and ND? That was an incredibly entertaining game
johnnyblaze36
AG
BudFox7 said:

I disagree. It's a great case study in the rise of a once in a generation talent and her positive effect on getting people to watch women's basketball for a reason behond Kim Mulkey's flashy pantsuit.
BudFox7
5 women's tournament games were played on a court where the 3pt lines weren't the same distance. That's how many ppl are actually watching.
johnnyblaze36
AG
stallion6 said:

Kellso said:

BudFox7 said:

Who is watching women's basketball and are you retired?
Caitlin Clark is a bigger star than any college baseball player of the last 10-20 years.

Womens college basketball is a bigger sport than college baseball.

Lets not forget that the biggest athletic accomplishment in Texas A&M's History was Gary Blair winning the 2011 National Title.
Too much opinion in your post. I know it is all true to you and that is ok. I disagree with one and three. For example, I think many would point to Johnny's Heisman Trophy when asked to point to the most recent Texas A&m athletic accomplishment. I do not want to put down women's sports but the are secondary to mens sports. OP has a right to an opinion, however it is only meant to troll people. Your post is a close second.
Bull***** I don't troll anybody on this entire website except maybe one person on the Entertainment forum. I said what I said and truly hope Caitilin Clark goes off in the Big 3. And if she decides to go the WNBA route then more power to her and nobody will care.
basic8
Nancy Liebermann used to run with the guys at Collin Cnty offseason open gym. Jucos, some local d-1 and d-2 players and frosh to be.

She held her own and guys picked her to play.
she was not a gtreat shooter ala CC, but could get teammates the ball and run. Nothing near CC as a scorer tho. CC is generational talent in HER sport. Hope she is allowed that wirhout some never being satisfied.

The talent levels are not close...doesn't mean they both are (were) not elite Women's basketball players. Some comments are wishful, delusuional thinking.

The Porkchop Express
johnnyblaze36 said:

Bull***** I don't troll anybody on this entire website except maybe one person on the Entertainment forum. I said what I said and truly hope Caitilin Clark goes off in the Big 3. And if she decides to go the WNBA route then more power to her and nobody will care.
Thanks for confirming your act on the Entertainment board.
Double Diamond
The men's game is suffering from hardly any stars. And not a single player I feel like I have to watch.
Aston04
AG
I dunno... I'm excited to watch the big guys on UCONN, Purdue and NC State at the Final Four. Should be fun.
Scotts Tot
AG
Double Diamond said:

The men's game is suffering from hardly any stars. And not a single player I feel like I have to watch.

The ~300 lb dude from NC State vs Edey is must-watch basketball. Can't wait to see how that goes down.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Double Diamond said:

You don't like watching that DJ Burns kid from NC State? I have found watching him pretty fascinating because he is so different from a typical college player. Not an NBA prospect and from a body standpoint doesn't even look like he should be a good college player but he's got personality and some legitimate skills that make him a real force in the college game. He methodically picked apart Duke's defense again and again. It will be interesting watching him vs. Edey of Purdue.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Scotts Tot said:

Double Diamond said:

The ~300 lb dude from NC State vs Edey is must-watch basketball. Can't wait to see how that goes down.
Just posted before seeing this, but saying the same thing. He has been one of the most fascinating players to watch during NC States run because he such an unusual player.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aston04 said:

I dunno... I'm excited to watch the big guys on UCONN, Purdue and NC State at the Final Four. Should be fun.
This. DJ Burns vs. Edey and then that winner versus (probably) 'KlingKong' of UCONN. Unless Bama just goes wild crazy from three and pulls off the upset.
Southlake
Burns= John Pinone
Southlake
Oh, I hope Clark drops 50 on those A-holes from lsu.
bobinator
AG
I mean the fact that the two posts above yours called him "The big guy" and "The ~300 lb dude" are probably points in Diamond's corner.

The NCAA Tournament creates stars like Burns, but I don't think it's even debatable that the men's game lacks star power.

Clark is certainly more well known than anyone in the men's game but Reese probably is too.

Edey is the closest thing the men's game has. Hell Armando Bacot is in a commercial running like every other commercial break during the tournament and I bet hardly anyone that isn't a pretty hardcore college basketball fan would know his name.
TyHolden
AG
clickbait...

Aston04
AG
bobinator said:

I mean the fact that the two posts above yours called him "The big guy" and "The ~300 lb dude" are probably points in Diamond's corner.

The NCAA Tournament creates stars like Burns, but I don't think it's even debatable that the men's game lacks star power.

Clark is certainly more well known than anyone in the men's game but Reese probably is too.

Edey is the closest thing the men's game has. Hell Armando Bacot is in a commercial running like every other commercial break during the tournament and I bet hardly anyone that isn't a pretty hardcore college basketball fan would know his name.
Sorta. I couldn't remember the NC State player's name - but am definitely planning on watching in part to see how he does against better competition at the Final Four. Gonna be fun. Excited to watch.

Of course not the star power of Clark. But will add viewers nevertheless.
Agthatbuilds
I'd agree, the ncaa men do lack star power. It mostly because the NBA exists amd is as big as it is. Most "stars" in college are there for a year, maybe two, and their star power is diluted based on the school, the way college ball is set up and how many good players there are.

The ncaa women is the big thing in women's basketball. I know the wnba exist but it's not relevant to anything. I doubt many people here could name the teams or cities.

The best players in nccaw basketball stay all four years. The best players usually play for the same handful of teams that already get preferable treatment by big sports media.

Along comes a generational talent like Clark, at the perfect time for a "woke" company like espn to latch onto and promote to the nth degree, perhaps for reasons unrelated to sports.
greg.w.h
AG
They think there is a market for women's sports like basketball. More power to them if they build it. Clark is fun to watch.
bobinator
AG
I don't think it's woke for them to pump up the tournament that they hold the broadcast rights to. Tonight's LSU/Iowa game is probably going to be the most watched women's basketball game ever right?

But hopefully NIL will help the men's game with that some. We've already seen some players return to school that in the past definitely would have left.

I think I'd probably argue that the NCAA Tournament format hurts the men's game from a "star power" standpoint also. The women's tournament has upsets, but not anywhere close to as many. The big stars on the big teams play in the biggest games.

Meanwhile this is the first time Zach Edey has made it past the Sweet 16 despite his team being a top four seed the last three seasons.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.