Official 2024 Coaching Carousel Thread

23,278 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Iowaggie
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Figured maybe we can get all our thoughts and discussion in one place. So here goes:

Hired
DePaul - Chris Holtmann (fired at Ohio State)
Louisville - Pat Kelsey (College of Charleston)
Ohio State - Jake Diebler (promoted from interim)
Oklahoma State - Steve Lutz (hired from Western Kentucky)
Michigan - Dusty May (hired from FAU)
SMU - Andy Enfield (hired from USC
Stanford - Kyle Smith (hired from Washington State)
USC - Erik Musselman (Hired from Arkansas)
Vanderbilt - Mark Byington (hired from James Madison)
Washington - Danny Sprinkle (hired from Utah State)
Washington State - David Riley (hired from Eastern Washington)
West Virginia - Darian DeVreis (hired from Drake)

Open (previous coach):
Arkansas - Erik Musselman (hired by USC)

Signed extension:
Chris Beard - Ole Miss
Lamont Paris - South Carolina
Nate Oats - Alabama

Coaches rumored to be on the move (not getting fired, but word is they're looking elsewhere):
Mick Cronin - UCLA
Erik Musselman - Arkansas
Greg McDermott - Creighton

Huge buyouts (you'll probably see these names floated for jobs because of their success but they have buyouts of at least $8M):
  • Reminder here that there's two kinds of buyouts, there's what the school owes the coach if they fire him, and what the coach owes the school if he leaves. The former is the one you usually see make articles and listed in the USA Today database, the latter is what matters if you're looking at hiring a coach.
Nate Oats - Alabama ($10M)
Bruce Pearl - Auburn ($8M)
TJ Otzelberger - Iowa State ($9.5M?) (This one is a little hard to calculate because the deal is a little strange, but he supposedly owes Iowa State the remainder of his contract if he leaves)

Moving on up (will probably jump to a high major job this year):
Danny Sprinkle - Utah State
Niko Medved - Colorado State
Dusty May - FAU
Josh Schertz - Indiana State
Darian DeVries - Drake
Amir Abdur-Rahim - South Florida
Pat Kelsey - College of Charleston

Image Rehab (previously fired high major coaches who have found lower level success and could be jumping back up):
Will Wade - McNeese St.
Richard Pitino - New Mexico

Out of the game: Either fired already or previously fired/retired and not currently a head coach:
Chris Holtmann - fired at Ohio State
Jay Wright - retired at Villanova
Mark Turgeon - "stepped down" at Maryland

What did I miss/need to add? Salary and buyout data can be hard to come by for some of these folks so I didn't put much and what I did put could already be dated.

dcaggie04
AG
I'm not sure why people think Stackhouse will be let go after this year. He was SEC coach of the year last year and you don't get rid of people with those accolades.
greg.w.h
AG
dcaggie04 said:

I'm not sure why people think Stackhouse will be let go after this year. He was SEC coach of the year last year and you don't get rid of people with those accolades.
I see what you did there…
mikesyracuse1
Great list Bob. Thanks for putting this together.

Add already open jobs list:
DePaul -Tony Stubblefield was fired in January

West Virginia-Josh Eilert is still interim since Huggins was terminated and they will be looking at some other coaches

Moving up list
Maybe Andy Kennedy at UAB. Former ole miss coach

High Majors maybe moving:
I would add Bobby Hurley here

Also, there may be a few openings based on retirement.

Mikesyracuse1
bobinator
AG
Lol, how did I forget DePaul. One of the rare times that I thought a midseason firing made sense. Done, gonna leave Andy Kennedy off for now, wouldn't surprise me if he moves but I don't think he's a definite jump candidate like the others.
mikesyracuse1
I'm going to think a little more on this list too.

Mikesyracuse1
mikesyracuse1
I watch CofC quite a bit in person and after a 2nd solid season in a row, Pat Kelsey's name will most likely come up again. And I edited that earlier post to include Bobby Hurley.

Mikesyracuse1
bero88
Kyle Keller - SFA - Seat is quickly getting warmer and warmer.
bobinator
AG
I currently have Hurley on my probably getting one more year list based on some of the articles coming out of there. I'm sure he'd like to jump if someone will take him though.
bobinator
AG
I figured I'd keep it to high majors or notable mid-majors.

Can't believe former TexAgs future coaching hall of famer Kyle Keller is on the hot seat.
bero88
He has had a tough couple of years. Best player left in the middle of the season and has lost multiple conference games. I hope he can hang on because I really like him.
mikesyracuse1
Mike Hopkins at Washington is definitely on the hot seat. After making the tournament 5 years ago, his team has been really struggling. I always liked Hopkins and he was the head coach in waiting at Syracuse until he got tired of waiting.

Mikesyracuse1
bobinator
AG
good call, added.
ryange05
AG
I would jump at a number of these guys, not sure the "fit" is there on some but I do not mind being a program that has success and a coach leaves (i.e. BCG, Turge) for "greener grass."
_lefraud_
AG
Curious if a change in Stillwater is on the horizon. I like Boyton and think he got a raw deal but they haven't been good this year. Buyout just under $7 million probably makes him safe for another season.
bobinator
AG
I think he's toast unless they're just completely broke.
jja79
AG
bobinator said:

I currently have Hurley on my probably getting one more year list based on some of the articles coming out of there. I'm sure he'd like to jump if someone will take him though.
I live not too far from ASU and I think his seat is scorching. I'm not in the know mind you. Arizona is rolling and they're moving in with Kansas, Houston, Baylor next year. I'm not sure they want to slide any more with the competition ratcheting up.

I've gone to some Grand Canyon baseball and basketball games and even though he didn't pan out at Vandy I think Bryce Drew has done a great job at GCU. They're good. Tough game at Tarleton tonight. I wish we could duplicate the atmosphere at GCU because it's incredible.
greg.w.h
AG
bobinator said:

I think he's toast unless they're just completely broke.
What did they get in Picken's will???

Oh…nothing for basketball..

https://news.okstate.edu/articles/communications/2023/oklahoma_state_university_receives_a_120_million_gift_from_t_boone_pickens_foundation.html
Pumpkinhead
AG
Kentucky? There is real angst in Lexington right now and if Calipari doesn't make it to at least the second weekend local media types think the situation too toxic not to somehow divorce.
greg.w.h
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Kentucky? There is real angst in Lexington right now and if Calipari doesn't make it to at least the second weekend local media types think the situation too toxic not to somehow divorce.
They do dumb better than A&M.
_lefraud_
AG
How great would it be for Cal to take the Louisville job?

I think his team makes a run this year but Lexington is definitely ready for a change. If UK doesn't make a FF this year, it will have been 10 seasons since the last...
bobinator
AG
I almost put Calipari on this list as a separate wildcard category. Him going to Louisville would be legendary stuff. I could also see him at UCLA if Cronin does jump.
JJxvi
AG
Go ahead and pencil in the Calipari->Drew->McCasland cascade
bobinator
AG
I will say I still think there's no way Kentucky can afford to fire him. I guess they could just make the situation so toxic he wants to leave though. But they'd owe him like 40 Mil if they fire him so it's really just up to whether or not he wants to go somewhere else.

That said I also agree that team could make a run. That's a dangerous team. Volatile, but at their best they're as good as anyone else's best. They don't need the other team to play poorly.
_lefraud_
AG
Joe Jones knocks off Grand Canyon tonight.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Tarleton. Does BCG retire? They just hired an AD that was at Tech when BCG was there, and well, they didn't get along. Does Joe get promoted?

Good news for bubble teams, as the WAC will only be getting one bid after GCUs loss tonight.
jja79
AG
WAC is only getting one regardless..GCU doesn't have the net rating even at 24-3 to get in if they don't win the tournament IMO.
bobinator
AG
It was gonna be close. They'd have needed some things to break their way but they had a NET in the 40's.
_lefraud_
AG
Probably so but tonight's loss makes it all but official.

Interesting enough GCU could still make the dance if they lose to Tarleton in the tournament final, since Tarleton is ineligible.
jja79
AG
I live in Phoenix and go to some of their games..the people I talk to think it's win the tournament or out but who knows?
bobinator
AG
Well it is now for sure, I think the odds were probably against them because they'd have needed a really weak bubble but there was at least a chance.
bobinator
AG
I think it's weird they let these teams compete in the conference tournaments.
bobinator
AG
Hopkins is out at Washington.

I also never really believed Buzz was in any danger but put him on here so people wouldn't ask why he wasn't on there, but I've taken him off now.
JJxvi
AG
Seeing Porter Moser to DePaul
JJxvi
AG
Will the Oklahoma schools fight over Will Wade?
Topher17
AG
Dude must really not like Norman or have really liked Chicago if that happens.

I know his seat could be heating up at OU, but to take what is possibly a worse job in the same city you were in previously would certainly be a choice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.