Official 2024 Coaching Carousel Thread

24,138 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by Iowaggie
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh I think things would go just fine, but you're okay letting a guy walk with two elite eights and a sweet 16 appearance and you're going to hire a guy that's won one tournament game at his current school?

But again this is Arkansas we're talking about, they probably think they could hire Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens so anyone in that "actually this is pretty good tier" is going to cause a meltdown.
Know Your Enemy
AG
As a Bulls fan if they really want Donovan they may be able to get him. He hasn't been a smashing success so far but the GM sure does love him though.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

Oh I think things would go just fine, but you're okay letting a guy walk with two elite eights and a sweet 16 appearance and you're going to hire a guy that's won one tournament game at his current school?

But again this is Arkansas we're talking about, they probably think they could hire Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens so anyone in that "actually this is pretty good tier" is going to cause a meltdown.
I imagine they have unrealistic expectations. If Muss leaves they will be like we can hire better so who cares. And then hate whoever they end up with because that person isnt Dan Hurley or Kelvin Sampson. So I think the unhappiness wouldnt be about Buzz specifically it would be that way for whoever they hire.
TexasAGGIEinAR
Spot on. Scroll back to see my commentary. They're delusional and have unrealistic expectations. Personally, I don't think Muss is a very good coach. He doesn't develop anybody, does less with more and hasn't won anything. Sure, he catches lightning in a bottle on occasion in the NCAAT, but gets immediately blown out when he cycles through what are mostly cinderella teams. They'll immediately assume they can get whoever they want because they think Arky is a premier job, even though they haven't been since the mid-90's. It'd be like calling Nebraska football a premier job because they used to be good a long time ago. They'll end up having to settle for an up and comer, but will say it's who they wanted the entire time. Again, I have to live around it every day, so it's just factual at this point.
bobinator
AG
I think Buzz would ramp it up a bit considering that even with their worst team under Muss they beat us twice this year.
bobinator
AG

Quote:

Sure, he catches lightning in a bottle on occasion in the NCAAT, but gets immediately blown out when he cycles through what are mostly cinderella teams.
I know you hate Arkansas and live around these folks, but this isn't exactly true.

In 2023 they beat 1-seed Kansas and then did get blown out by UCONN. In 2022, they beat the 1-seed and probably best team in the country Gonzaga and then lost by 9 to Duke. In 2021 they beat 6-seed Texas Tech in the second round and then did catch a break with Oral Roberts in the Sweet 16. Baylor did mostly keep them at arm's reach but they didn't get "blown out," they got that game to within a few possessions in the second half.

But that's taking down two #1 seeds, and then losing to two eventual national champions in Baylor and UConn.

However you do it, making two elite eights and then a sweet 16 three years in a row is impressive stuff.
frenchtoast
I support the use of "butt naked last" when discussing Arkansas.
LawHall88
AG
aggiez03
AG
LawHall88 said:

Wild..

I never thought in a scenario that saw the USC coach leaving for SMU, that a SEC coach would leave for that job.

With them moving to the Big 10, things might change, but it seems like California just doesn't care much about college sports anymore.
20ag07
Quote:

With them moving to the Big 10, things might change, but it seems like California just doesn't care much about college sports anymore.
USC is paying Lincoln Riley more than we paid Jimbo.

What about that says they aren't willing to pay coaches?
aggiez03
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

USC is paying Lincoln Riley more than we paid Jimbo.

What about that says they aren't willing to pay coaches?
I wasn't talking pay, I was talking about caring about college sports.

21-22 USC Basketball Attendance...

Home Attendance average
9th Conf Rank

Conf Games
9th Conf Rank

https://stats.pac-12.com/sports/mbkb/2021-22/teams/usc

Cal Berkley - And remember, Cal averaged 2,155 in home attendance last season and its biggest crowd was 3,648

https://www.si.com/college/cal/basketball/is-cal-basketball-a-thing

BUD WALTON ARENA (Arkansas)
Year Opened: 1994-95
All-Time Record: 419-94 (.817)
All-Time SEC Record: 180-71 (.717)
Total Attendance: 8,111,165
Average Attendance: 15,811 <-----
MarcAg
AG

He obviously has specific people in mind with this tweet. I wonder who he means as far as former SEC coach. I mean besides the obvious, Billy Kennedy. Billy Donovan?
Topher17
AG
Beard, Tang and Will Wade.
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg said:

He obviously has specific people in mind with this tweet. I wonder who he means as far as former SEC coach. I mean besides the obvious, Billy Kennedy. Billy Donovan?
Yeah, Will Wade. I guess the toxicity has worn off.

Billy Donovan is interesting, although he makes like $6 million a year in the NBA.
MarcAg
AG
Topher17 said:

Beard, Tang and Will Wade.
This might sound crazy, but Tang honestly would worry me the most out of that group from an A&M perspective.

I think Will Wade is overrated. I was big on Beard at Tech, but I have some doubts on him currently. Not massive doubts as I still think he is a really good coach, I just no longer am convinced he is a sure fire grand slam hire that I thought he was say 5 years ago.
bobinator
AG
I still think Beard is a great coach but the good news if he goes to Arkansas is it means he's not going to turn Ole Miss into some kind of monster so that kind of washes out for me.
bobinator
AG
What a ride for USC though. You lose your coach to SMU and then hire Arkansas'.
KellerAg95
AG
I know we like to rag on Arkansas but this is one area that they have a strong case. Muss had the #10 highest salary at $4.1M (and yes Buzz is #11 right below that) and Arkansas again had incredible support in attendance averaging 19,051 per game and ranked #4 in the country behind UNC, Kentucky, and Syracuse. And that was during one of their rockiest, drama-filled years in a while (except when they played us...grrrr).

I have no doubt they will bring in a prominent coach based on the pay and the environment. I hope that one day we can build a basketball culture where we are bringing in 19,000 fans per game.
bobinator
AG
Wade gotta be odds on favorite right? I'm sure they want Beard more but he's probably going to be really expensive.
Topher17
AG
Beard to Arkansas and then Wade to Ole Miss just seems too easy, right?
LawHall88
AG
bobinator said:

Wade gotta be odds on favorite right? I'm sure they want Beard more but he's probably going to be really expensive.
Twitter people seem to think it's Beard, but Wade would definitely come cheaper.
bobinator
AG
I guess it just depends on if there's a school buyout in Beard's contract or not and if so, how much is it. If not then all that matters is the annual salary but they won't care about that as much.
Topher17
AG
Beard could be really expensive, but I also think he's smart enough to know his odds of reaching the top tier of college hoops is easier to pull off at Arkansas than Ole Miss. I could see him going for similar money to what he's making now. He's done it before from Tech to Texas, although the alma mater aspect clearly had a lot to do with that. Question would obviously be around the buyout he would owe Ole Miss.
bobinator
AG
100% agree that if Ole Miss comes open that Wade is the obvious choice there.
hogfan14
LawHall88 said:

bobinator said:

Twitter people seem to think it's Beard, but Wade would definitely come cheaper.
Wade's show cause might be a dealbreaker. He's still pretty risky especially if he gets in NCAA trouble again at his new school.

Some big Little Rock boosters apparently are ready to open up the pocketbook for Beard and have promised a hefty NIL fund for him if it happens.
miller0926
AG
nevermind…
Know Your Enemy
AG
Double Diamond
Beard really is a piece of work. Ole Miss was likely the only major conference college that was going to hire him months after beating his girlfriend. And the first job that's better he bolts.
LawHall88
AG
_lefraud_
AG

bobinator
AG
Did Arkansas kick the tires on Kim English? Interesting timing on his extension.
MarcAg
AG
_lefraud_ said:

If a guy with 500 followers is first one tweeting it, it must be official. He might end up being the guy, but I dont think this guy is breaking it

LawHall88
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Wouldn't "tonight" in this post mean last night? Also, Rothstein hasn't tweeted that Tang is the guy, maybe he wrote it in a blog somewhere I don't know about.
bobinator
AG
It's a fake account.
20ag07
People's inability to discern what's real and what's fake, but run to the internet to propagate clearly fake stuff is WIIIILLLLLDDDD.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.