Official 2024 Coaching Carousel Thread

24,186 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by Iowaggie
Mikeyshooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
20ag07 said:

People's inability to discern what's real and what's fake, but run to the internet to propagate clearly fake stuff is WIIIILLLLLDDDD.

Hey we're just talking amongst friends here.

LawHall88
AG

bobinator
AG

bobinator
AG
That's wild.
GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

This is wilder if true.
bobinator
AG
Both Goodman and Rothstein reported it which means it's a group text from an agent so it's probably true.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

Both Goodman and Rothstein reported it which means it's a group text from an agent so it's probably true.

Well the fake one above mentioned Rothstein and he hadn't posted anything about it at the time.

But looks like it's becoming official. Great hire for Arkansas.
bobinator
AG
We talking about the same thing? I mean the report that Beard is out of consideration is true, haven't seen a report of them actually hiring anyone yet.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

We talking about the same thing? I mean the report that Beard is out of consideration is true, haven't seen a report of them actually hiring anyone yet.
Well I figure Beard is staying at Oxford because he didn't get the job. It was reported it was down to Beard and Tang
Bunk Moreland
Goodman now saying Tang has emerged as a leading candidate for Arky.

Would be a great hire by them and wouldn't be surprised at all to see Tang leave the moment he gets a chance at an upgrade.
bobinator
AG
I'm not all that convinced in Tang, he doesn't exactly strike fear into me thinking about him at Arkansas.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

I'm not all that convinced in Tang, he doesn't exactly strike fear into me thinking about him at Arkansas.
I think its a better hire than Beard or Will Wade. He hasn't been a HC long so I might end up being way wrong here.
bobinator
AG
I don't like Wade much either so probably agree there.

Interested why you're out on Beard? He had Texas in the top five before he got himself fired and he immediately made Ole Miss more competitive, just needs more dudes.
hogfan14
MarcAg said:

bobinator said:

I think its a better hire than Beard or Will Wade. He hasn't been a HC long so I might end up being way wrong here.
It's definitely a risky hire. Only been a HC for 2 years and is already almost 60. Fans want Wade more but that doesn't really mean anything.

Yurachek may be in deep crap if this hire ends up underwhelming after failing to close the deal on Beard.
LawHall88
AG

SeattleAg05
AG
Wow, no Beard, no Tang. Will Wade or bust?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Wade was the easiest to get with enough 'splash' for the hire to be acceptable by fans. Not trying to pull him from another major conference school so I imagine they will get him if they want him.
MarcAg
AG
I'm a perfectly ok with Arkansas hiring Will Wade.
bobinator
AG
Yep. I think he'll do fine there, but they won't be some kind of unbeatable juggernaut I don't think.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Yep. I think he'll do fine there, but they won't be some kind of unbeatable juggernaut I don't think.

Beard is the one IMO who would have been an 'upgrade' RE their ceiling vs what they had with Muss.

I think Wade looks like a guy who gets them to n NCAAT most years but is a 'downgrade' from Muss. I'd rank Wade a bit below a Buzz Williams quality of hire, who has more career skins on wall, but roughly in that same tier.

_lefraud_
AG
Will Wade at Arkansas will be a problem. He had no problem paying for guys when it was illegal, imagine what he'll do at Arky and NIL.

Some of you discount what he did at LSU. Since the early 90s, LSU had made back to back tournaments only once. Wade made 4 straight and has 7 appearances in his 10 years as a head coach.
MarcAg
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Will Wade at Arkansas will be a problem. He had no problem paying for guys when it was illegal, imagine what he'll do at Arky and NIL.

I actually think this is an argument against him honestly. You are saying he's not against giving players money. Well neither is anyone in 2024!!
_lefraud_
AG
I'd bet Arky has a better NIL budget for basketball than most anyone in the SEC not named Kentucky.
MarcAg
AG
I imagine Tennessee and Arkansas are pretty close and then I would "guess" Auburn and Bama are right there too. But again I don't understand your point of he was paying players before it was legal gives him an advantage. And maybe you were more just meaning he will still have the funds at Arkansas to get players, just legally now.

Regardless I think he is a good, not great coach. And I'm not afraid of him at Arkansas. I'm not saying he will stink it up there.
BQ_90
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I'd bet Arky has a better NIL budget for basketball than most anyone in the SEC not named Kentucky.

At some point you have to coach. If it was only NIL then Kentucky would be playing today
Pumpkinhead
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Some of you discount what he did at LSU. Since the early 90s, LSU had made back to back tournaments only once. Wade made 4 straight and has 7 appearances in his 10 years as a head coach.

If you were ranking the SEC coaches he is going to be in the middle of the pack IMO. You for sure are not going to rank him above Calipari, Barnes, Oats, Pearl, or Beard. You'd rank somewhere in the next tier of guys. It would be a 'good' but not 'great' hire IMO. He will get some talent like you said but so did Muss. A lot of teams can recruit well and have good NIL. It is a tough league.

The SEC is going to be a stacked basketball conference, now plus OU and the horns. Lots of great or good coaches. I would think 8+ SEC teams in the NCAA tournament will be the norm every year now.

hogfan14
_lefraud_ said:

You might be surprised. I think NIL was one major factor for why Beard decided to stay at Ole Miss because The Grove Collective is so much more organized and well-run than the Arkansas NIL, which Yurachek is way behind the times on.

It's interesting how boosters are hinging their NIL donations on whomever the coach ends up being though. I guess that's always been the case with booster funding but it's really political when trying to leverage their choice for the job. Dumb IMO to base your contributions on a certain coach rather than the program itself.
LawHall88
AG
This is certainly dragging out. One of the rumors floating around is that Arky is expecting to get a letter of inquiry from the NCAA soon regarding alleged recruiting or APR violations, which is scaring away the coaching candidates.
GrayMatter
AG
This leads me to believe that Wade isn't heading there either.
LawHall88
AG
GrayMatter said:

This leads me to believe that Wade isn't heading there either.
The tricky part with Wade is under his show cause he can't recruit until October, and whoever gets the job will need to completely rebuild the roster, which (if all the players who entered the portal do in fact transfer) is down to one returning scholarship player and two incoming freshman.
_lefraud_
AG
Wade's show clause doesn't stop him from making strong ass offers, it'll just look a little different until Summer 2025
CapCityAg89
AG
LawHall88
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Uh-huh.
MarcAg
AG
Well I mean if ball sack sports is tagged in it, then it has to be legit.
20ag07
Why do you people post this crap?

Do you really think that a class of '19 person would break this story?

Or do you just repost anything you find?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.