Official 2024 Coaching Carousel Thread

24,168 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by Iowaggie
mikesyracuse1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WKU's Steve Lutz just signed a five year deal with Oklahoma St.

Chris Mack is to be introduced as the College of Charleston's next head coach on Tuesday afternoon.

Mikesyracuse1
bobinator
AG
OP is updated with some recent moves.
LawHall88
AG
SeattleAg05
AG
So weird, he's always looking. Something is amiss there
aggiez03
AG
LawHall88 said:

Isn't Arkansas, In the SEC, a better job at this point?

Also, Muscleman (pun intended) has done terrific in the tourney (every year but this one, obviously) at Arkansas....

USC's coach leaves for SMU of all places, so Arkie coach is thinking of going to USC? Makes no sense.
bobinator
AG
He's a weird dude, who knows
LawHall88
AG
His buyout just dropped yesterday to $1 million, according to media reports. Plus, there is something odd going on between him and the Arky AD:

Quote:

It would be reassuring if a new contract extension was in the works at Arkansas. But that's not the case, Hunter Yurachek said in an interview with 1 Star Recruits out of, coincidentally, the Los Angeles area.

"There's not a new contract in place for him this year," Yurachek said in the below snippet recorded on Monday afternoon. And he went on to explain that he had his staff doctor an old "Muss Bus" video to dispel rumors that Musselman was going anywhere late last week.

"That is my sense of humor coming across," he said. "That was not something that was a coordinated or collaborated effort between myself and Coach Musselman."

In another segment, Yurachek added: "He's still the basketball coach as we sit here today and record this podcast at the University of Arkansas. He has been well taken care of in his past contracts, where he's had a couple of extensions in the past few years and six figure increases… that video was just to kind of dispel some of the rumors [to stress] that, 'Hey, he's still our basketball coach.'"

"Now, this may change tomorrow. You'll have to ask Coach Musselman that. But we very much want him to be an Arkansas Razorback."
https://www.bestofarkansassports.com/usc-basketball-coach-eric-musselman-yurachek-revelation-cant-help-stoke-fears/
bobinator
AG
"We'd prefer to keep him, but we're not going to pay him any more right now, so if he leaves, he leaves" sounds like the summary of all that
LawHall88
AG
bobinator said:

"We'd prefer to keep him, but we're not going to pay him any more right now, so if he leaves, he leaves" sounds like the summary of all that
I agree, but it feels a bit like the Byrne-BCG dynamic right before BCG left, where Byrne was putting out press releases to make sure everyone knew he had done all he could to keep him.
TexAgs1992
Hunter Yurachek might be the worst AD in the SEC and is in the running for worst AD in a power five conference. Arkansas needs to get rid of him ASAP and bring somebody in who can completely revamp NIL and be a strike of lightning into the entire athletic department.
20ag07
Yurachek is an idiot. He should not be doing podcasts right now.

Plenty of coaches would consider USC a better job than Arkansas though.

With all the talk about Buzz moving on- Arky would definitely be the most interesting option. I never bought Okie St or SMU for him, but Arky would be interesting.
hogfan14
20ag07 said:

Yurachek is an idiot. He should not be doing podcasts right now.

Plenty of coaches would consider USC a better job than Arkansas though.

With all the talk about Buzz moving on- Arky would definitely be the most interesting option. I never bought Okie St or SMU for him, but Arky would be interesting.

Muss is from Southern California so it's always been home to him. He loves it on the west coast. The only thing I don't see him being into is the lack of basketball support or resources at USC - plenty of recruiting territory but definitely aren't drawing 20,000 fans like at Arkansas.

If Muss moves on it sounds like the Arkansas BOT and big money will go all in on Beard. The BOT loves him from back when he was at UALR so he has some connections there.
Double Diamond
If Beard bolts Ole Miss what a real piece of work.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
But can Arky compete with Ol Miss now?
hogfan14
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

But can Arky compete with Ol Miss now?

In basketball? I would hope so.
Double Diamond
Ole Miss is tossing unlimited money at NIL in both football and basketball.
aggiez03
AG
Arkansas has the highest revenue in SEC basketball with a NET profit of over $12MM per year.
TexasAGGIEinAR
Most coaches don't want to deal with the delusion and ridiculous expectations that Pig fans have. It's not the job that folks think it is. Look at the past coaches...Stan Heath, Suitcase Mike Anderson, John Pelfrey...not exactly murderers row. Yurachek is an idiot and Pig doesn't pay well. USC will pull him back to the west coast and they'll pay him well for it. Their expectations aren't near what Pigs are. When he leaves, fans up here will expect them to hire Danny Hurley, Calipari or Bill Self. They literally think that Arky is a more attractive job and better program than UCONN, UK and KU. The delusion is unmatched. I'd crawl to USC if I were bird chest Muss.

As for the poster above who spoke about how Pig needs to do this and that and how to be successful, speak for yourself. I want them to be butt naked last at everything. Watching things burn up here when things are disastrous, is the best entertainment on the face of the earth.
_lefraud_
AG
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

I want them to be butt naked last at everything.
TexAgs1992
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

Most coaches don't want to deal with the delusion and ridiculous expectations that Pig fans have. It's not the job that folks think it is. Look at the past coaches...Stan Heath, Suitcase Mike Anderson, John Pelfrey...not exactly murderers row. Yurachek is an idiot and Pig doesn't pay well. USC will pull him back to the west coast and they'll pay him well for it. Their expectations aren't near what Pigs are. When he leaves, fans up here will expect them to hire Danny Hurley, Calipari or Bill Self. They literally think that Arky is a more attractive job and better program than UCONN, UK and KU. The delusion is unmatched. I'd crawl to USC if I were bird chest Muss.

As for the poster above who spoke about how Pig needs to do this and that and how to be successful, speak for yourself. I want them to be butt naked last at everything. Watching things burn up here when things are disastrous, is the best entertainment on the face of the earth.
Don't disagree on the expectations of fans but I think that's a bit of an unfair take. The people I know don't think it's KU, Kentucky, or UCONN, but right below that echelon which is still unfair. It is hilarious to watch things burn as a neutral observer personally.
bobinator
AG
Hot take: I kinda think Arkansas basketball is a lot like Aggie football from a good support, lack of recent results, partly delusional fanbase standpoint.
TopoTacos
AG
Getting insane recruiting classes->underperforming with said recruiting classes
cutter
Except we are even more delusional because Arkansas basketball has been more successful than Aggie football, both recently and historically.
Tamuco99
Double Diamond said:

If Beard bolts Ole Miss what a real piece of work.
His job hopping is unprecedented on another level:

Lamar SC Port Arthur - 6 days
McMurry - 1 year
UALR - 1 year
UNLV - 3 weeks

If he bolts that will make five stops where he's been there one year or less; two of which he quit before even coaching a game. But trash is as trash does
_lefraud_
AG
What is trash about it? Do most people not make career decisions on what is best for them and/or their family?
TexasAGGIEinAR
cutter said:

Except we are even more delusional because Arkansas basketball has been more successful than Aggie football, both recently and historically.
We finished ranked #4 after the 20-21 season. Pig hasn't finished ranked that high in basketball since 1995.
We've also won 3 national titles in football compared to their 1 in basketball. Hell, they haven't won the SEC since 1995. Even we've outperformed that under flippin' Billy Kennedy.

Since their 1994 title and 1995 runner up, they've done absolutely nothing. 2 Elite 8's and a Sweet 16...then got run outta the gym immediately after. If we're going to call that success, do the same to George Mason.
BQ_90
AG
i thought he just signed new deal with Ole Miss, my guess is they have pretty good buyout clause where they'll have ton of cash if he does leave
Tamuco99
_lefraud_ said:

What is trash about it? Do most people not make career decisions on what is best for them and/or their family?
He's a great coach, but I've never heard one single thing about his character as a man that would lead me to believe that he's a stand up guy. And yes, leaving a job after one season or less is a bit scummy, especially having done so five times.
rangerdanger
AG

Buzz on deck if Basketball Jimbo sticks with Arkansas?
Topher17
AG
Buzz in SoCal would be such an odd pairing that it's fascinating to think about.

Arkansas side seems pretty convinced Muss is taking that job though.
SeattleAg05
AG
Topher17 said:

Buzz in SoCal would be such an odd pairing that it's fascinating to think about.

Arkansas side seems pretty convinced Muss is taking that job though.

I don't think he interviews and doesn't take it. Odds on favorite in Muss right now.
MarcAg
AG
rangerdanger said:

Buzz on deck if Basketball Jimbo sticks with Arkansas?

Buzz to Arkansas seems more likely than Buzz to USC. Not saying Buzz will be offered or take the Arkansas job but that makes more sense
bobinator
AG
On the surface yes, but you gotta think Arkansas fans would absolutely lose their minds if they hired Buzz.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

On the surface yes, but you gotta think Arkansas fans would absolutely lose their minds if they hired Buzz.

Are they going to be more excited about say a Todd Golden?

I'm pretty sure Buzz beat Musselman as many times as Musselman beat him and I think everyone would agree most of those matchups Musselman had more talent. So if you think Ok Buzz is going to have more talent at Arkansas than he did at A&M because they are more of a basketball school than A&M then things might go pretty well.
hogfan14
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

Most coaches don't want to deal with the delusion and ridiculous expectations that Pig fans have. It's not the job that folks think it is. Look at the past coaches...Stan Heath, Suitcase Mike Anderson, John Pelfrey...not exactly murderers row. Yurachek is an idiot and Pig doesn't pay well.

Muss was the 8th highest paid coach in the country when he signed his most recent deal. He's gotten passed up some since though.

Underachieving coaches don't really have anything to do with the job itself though as A&M football can attest to lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.