Official 2024 Coaching Carousel Thread

24,179 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by Iowaggie
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That tells me SMU has a splash hire ready for their move to the ACC
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
zgolfz85
AG
LawHall88 said:

Good hire
mikesyracuse1
Dusty May went so deep last year in the ncaa tournament his good matches were filled before his team lost. His move was delayed by a year and this is a good fit for him.

Mikesyracuse1
LawHall88
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Dusty May went so deep last year in the ncaa tournament his good matches were filled before his team lost. His move was delayed by a year and this is a good fit for him.

Are you saying he threw the Northwestern game?
JJxvi
AG
Louisville should hire Mark Turgeon…
LawHall88
AG
Topher17
AG
Interested to see how this goes. When Drake has stepped up in competition the last few years it hasn't gone particularly well. His son still has eligibility, so assuming he goes with him that isn't a bad building block to start with at least.
LawHall88
AG
maroonthrunthru
Was lucky enough to get invited to a dinner Friday night honoring Norm Hitzges…

My wife and I sat at a table with SMU AD Ric Hart…

He was constantly peppered with questions regarding next BB HC hire…

Typical "AD-Speak"… Basically no comment…
Topher17
AG
Kyle Smith from Wazzu to Stanford
SeattleAg05
AG
Oregon State announced that Tinkle will be back in their basketball move to the WCC
SeattleAg05
AG
That's a big time get for UW. Sprinkle looked like the real deal.
Topher17
AG
Mark Byington from JMU to Vandy.
LawHall88
AG
Tamuco99
LawHall88 said:

Skipping town for a better job 2 years in a row is WILD. Wonder if he brings players along with him on this stop as well
bobinator
AG
I think I have the OP updated with the recent high major moves.
bobinator
AG
Obviously Kentucky would be a wild domino to fall but so far doesn't sound like it's happening. So far this is all pretty boring and mostly predictable right outside of SMU? SMU actually snagging a sitting power conference coach would be interesting though.
zgolfz85
AG
bobinator said:

Obviously Kentucky would be a wild domino to fall but so far doesn't sound like it's happening. So far this is all pretty boring and mostly predictable right outside of SMU? SMU actually snagging a sitting power conference coach would be interesting though.
I've got UK buddies who swear it is, but I agree...I think they're just wishfully thinking
Charlie Moran
AG
The list of available candidates reminds me of when Turge skipped town, not a lot of good choices out there. I would be wary about firing someone without a good option already in hand.
"I didn't come here to lose!" Charley Moran
LawHall88
AG
Topher17
AG
I think Medved would be a good hire there. I'm still not convinced Bryce Drew is a good coach, but I can see the allure.

I don't think a retread like Alford would be too inspiring if I was an OSU fan.
bobinator
AG
Yikes. Steve Alford would definitely be a choice.

I think you can make a case that Medved or Drew are decent hires though. Coaching at Vandy is hard.
LawHall88
AG
JJxvi
AG
What
JJxvi
AG
Let's imagine for a second...how we on this board would feel about hiring Richard Pitino. We'd probably eventually be ok with it I guess, like there probably wouldn't be Stoops pitchforks or whatever, but only because of his age and name. Is Louisville really gonna be fine with him?
bobinator
AG
I think we could talk ourselves into Pitino, but if not for his last name it definitely seems like a reach for Louisville.

I think the narrative you're spinning is that he wasn't quite ready for Minnesota job which he got at like 30 years old, he's learned from that on how to manage a program better, evidenced by the solidly improving New Mexico which plays in what has lately been a tough Mountain West.

But if his last name weren't Pitino do we think he'd even remotely be a candidate for the Louisville job?
zgolfz85
AG
dude wants some spaghetti sex like his ol pops
Know Your Enemy
AG
JJxvi
AG
Is Andy Enfield getting out of Dodge or what? Like is he on the hot seat or something?
Topher17
AG
Not a chance he'd get the Louisville job with a different last name. Insane to me that this is where they'll have settled. It could work, but it's a far cry from the level of coach I thought they'd attract.
Topher17
AG
I think another bad year could have potentially done him in, but not totally sure.

Are we sure Enfield is a better coach than what SMU already had?
JJxvi
AG
Again…Louisville should hire Mark Turgeon
LawHall88
AG
Topher17 said:

I think another bad year could have potentially done him in, but not totally sure.

Are we sure Enfield is a better coach than what SMU already had?
Yeah, this year didn't go as planned. Preseason Top 25 (#21 in AP), ended with a losing record. It is far easier to get hired when your employed than it is after you get fired. He just bought himself another 5 years coaching at whatever SMU is willing to pay him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.