Official 2024 Coaching Carousel Thread

24,130 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by Iowaggie
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Topher17 said:

After a pretty tame coaching carousel, what a bombshell!

All because SMU fired a pretty solid coach after just two years!

And to dive a little deeper, they made a change because of realignment, because of football

Wild
CapCityAg89
AG
True. But I pulled that out of a protected tweet from an account which has been right a bunch of times. I thought it was interesting gossip on a gossip thread. And some jack wagon calls me out. So yeah. When it starts looking real, I'm going to laugh my ass off at the jack wagon.
CapCityAg89
AG
TAMUallen
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

It's better than Arkansas has seen and if they're giving 6 million a year, guaranteed, to NIL then the game has just changed.

It'll also be the end of NIL (as it is now)
MOAggieFan
An update to the list:

St. Louis University - Josh Schertz (hired from Indiana State to replace Travis Ford)

LawHall88
AG
sincereag
I just don't see Drew,taking the UK job. He knows he has it really good in Waco and will probably use this offer to further boost his status at BU.
JJxvi
AG
Drew will take it. There is circumstantial evidence that points to Grant McCasland believing that Drew might go to Kentucky last year.
sincereag
JJxvi said:

Drew will take it. There is circumstantial evidence that points to Grant McCasland believing that Drew might go to Kentucky last year.

What circumstantial evidence are you talking about?
JJxvi
AG
Grant McCasland agreed to take the Tech job but refused to officially accept until Texas announced that Rodney Terry was being made permanent. Grant McCasland would not have been a candidate at Texas, but he absolutely would be at his alma mater if say John Calipari went to Texas and Drew went to Kentucky.
sincereag
That would be interesting to see McCasland bolt Tech after one year. He would definitely take the BU job if Drew goes to UK.
MarcAg
AG
sincereag said:

That would be interesting to see McCasland bolt Tech after one year. He would definitely take the BU job if Drew goes to UK.

Figure Tang is strong candidate too for Baylor
JJxvi
AG
Is there any reason to believe Tang would have any particular attachment to Baylor over Kansas State?
MarcAg
AG
JJxvi said:

Is there any reason to believe Tang would have any particular attachment to Baylor over Kansas State?

Spent 19 years at Baylor. Was a Texas HS coach for 10 years before that.
20ag07
Quote:

Did you know Tang's name before last week?

He would be absolutely be first up on their call sheet.

And I don't buy anyone saying that McCasland would leave Tech for Baylor.

Tech has a history of overpaying coaches. Baylor doesn't offer him anything he isn't already getting.
MarcAg
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Baylor doesn't offer him anything he isn't already getting.

Baylor offers him a chance to coach at the school he played for. Tech can never do that. How important is that to him? I don't know.
WaldoWings
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Did you know Tang's name before last week?

He would be absolutely be first up on their call sheet.

And I don't buy anyone saying that McCasland would leave Tech for Baylor.

Tech has a history of overpaying coaches. Baylor doesn't offer him anything he isn't already getting.

Baylor is a much better job from a prestige standpoint than Tech.
20ag07
Quote:

Baylor offers him a chance to coach at the school he played for. Tech can never do that. How important is that to him? I don't know.
This isn't Beard to Texas.

It's different calculus.
MarcAg
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

This isn't Beard to Texas.

It's different calculus.

Yeah Chris Beard never played basketball at Texas.
_lefraud_
AG
Tech is the best job in the state
JJxvi
AG
Yeah, i just heard about Tang last week….

Anyway, spending 19 years at Baylor as an assistant mainly makes me think Tang is just less likely to take another job period.
JJxvi
AG
Not 100% apples to apples, but would Tommy Lloyd leave Arizona, the school that gave him his big break, for Gonzaga just because he was an assistant coach there for a long time? I dont think so.
20ag07
Quote:

Baylor is a much better job from a prestige standpoint than Tech.
Not in 2024.

What everybody is looking for is how realignment shakes out.

Football drives the bus. Basketball has a very good chance to get drug along. Baylor has a lot greater chance of being left off the bus than Tech does.

So if you're Grant McCasland, you're doing that math. Baylor isn't giving you more money. Maybe a slightly cuter arena.

So what is "prestige"?
JJxvi
AG
A basketball coach isnt making a hundred year decision when they take a job. How good of a team they think they'll have 6 months from now is probably infinitely more of a factor than some nebulous realignment BS
bobinator
AG
Missed this conversation but no question Drew staying is a big sigh of relief for Tech fans. Can't sure for sure if McCasland takes the Baylor job but now they don't have to find out.
BQ_90
AG
so who does UK go after now
frenchtoast
Have they reached out to Pearl yet?
greg.w.h
AG
TAMUallen said:

CapCityAg89 said:

It's better than Arkansas has seen and if they're giving 6 million a year, guaranteed, to NIL then the game has just changed.

It'll also be the end of NIL (as it is now)
Probably not since Olympics NIL converted all but wrestling to pro athletes…and if you ever watched WWE you kinda know why they didn't professionalize wrestling…they couldn't compete with American kabuki theater…
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Oates?
Aldo the Apache
AG
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

Oates?
Oates already said no, put out a statement. He could always change his mind, but doubtful.

UK groups are saying they've lobbed a silly offer to Hurley, but he's been very vocal about staying at UConn.

Do they try Bruce Pearl? Maybe Mark Pope at BYU? Sean Miller would be a controversial pick but who knows at this point.

Big picture, it looks like they're striking out on the top of the "Big Board," which as an outside party is kind of fun to watch.
GrayMatter
AG
Looks like they're on to the 2nd tier of coaching prospects. That should tell you that the Kentucky job isn't as good as some would think.

If they can't money whip Drew or Oates, it's not about the money or the historical reputation.
BQ_90
AG
GrayMatter said:

Looks like they're on to the 2nd tier of coaching prospects. That should tell you that the Kentucky job isn't as good as some would think.

If they can't money whip Drew or Oates, it's not about the money or the historical reputation.
or some coaches don't want to be in a meat grinder 24/7 365 even for ton of money.

Looks like Drew wants to have family life, I doubt that happens at UK for any MBB coach
Aldo the Apache
AG
BQ_90 said:

GrayMatter said:

or some coaches don't want to be in a meat grinder 24/7 365 even for ton of money.

Looks like Drew wants to have family life, I doubt that happens at UK for any MBB coach

It's basically Alabama football except less recent titles, so even more vitriol from the fanbase. They WILL NOT be patient with a new coach, and expect to win immediately and win big.

How many coaches want to sign up for that? The list feels relatively short.
BQ_90
AG
No coach will ever do good enough at UK in the minds of UK fans. My guess is Bama is gonna be in that same position now.
bobinator
AG
Kentucky is still the best job in college basketball, but I think coaches have gotten smarter at realizing the best job isn't that much better than the one you have now in a lot of places.

Especially in the social media/public life era.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.