***OFFICIAL Astros-Rangers Trash Talk Thread 2023***

250,789 Views | 3341 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by petebaker
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So from the 60s to 2005, neither teams fans could talk any sort of crap to each other.

Then from 2005-2009 the Astros fans could say the rangers franchise is crap because they've never won a pennant and been to the WS.

Then after 2010 I guess it was even.

The from 2011-2016 I guess the rangers fans could have said "oh, the Astros franchise is nothing compared to ours. We've been to more World Series and actually won games in them."

So in 6 season span since then it's completely the other direction again.

Congrats on 2022 and being to 6 straight ALCS… I guess congrats on 2017 too despite all that hoopla. You've been really good to the best for 6 seasons. But this new money big dong energy is beyond exhausting.

Just remember, the pendulum can and will swing back at some point.

Ag_07
AG
The Shank Ag said:

But this new money big dong energy is beyond exhausting.

Stay outta the kitchen then
Carlo4
AG
07ag said:

TefIon Don said:

Astro fans are starting to sound like low IQ Dallas Cowboys fans. Current season doesn't mean ****, only past championships.
Dallas fans are insulting Houston fans by comparing them to,,, Dallas fans?
Someone has to... right?

fullback44
AG
The Shank Ag said:

So from the 60s to 2005, neither teams fans could talk any sort of crap to each other.

Then from 2005-2009 the Astros fans could say the rangers franchise is crap because they've never won a pennant and been to the WS.

The from 2011-2016 I guess the rangers fans could have said "oh, the Astros franchise is nothing compared to ours. We've been to more World Series and actually won games in them."

Congrats on 2022 and being to 6 straight ALCS… I guess congrats on 2017 too despite all that hoopla. You've been really good to the best for 6 seasons. But this new money big dong energy is beyond exhausting.

Lets be honest, the Astros are basically what Atlanta was during the Glavin Smoltz years.. no it wont last forever but I dont see them folding up shop anytime soon, heck next year we will get McCullers and Garcia back and have the same rotation that won it all last year. We dont have that type of rotation this year so anything we do is just gravy, I dont expect this pitching staff to go deep if we make the playoffs, but next year could be the year again.

2024 Staff.. CRAZY: Verlander, Garcia, McCullers, Framber, JP France, Brown, C Javier, Urquidy.. thats 8 starters which would basically mean we have one hell of a "Middle relief" staff to go along with the five starters... and all the closers.. talk about a pitching staff. If nothing changes, I think the Astros will easily have the top pitching staff in the MLB in 2024. Hell we could use Verlander, Brown, and Urquidy to pitch middle relief once a week and still have a top staff.

Although we are close again this year, next year the Stros will be the top bet again if all this pitching staff makes it back...
Project Gemini
AG
Rangers fans sure do spend a lot of time talking about the Astros for a fanbase that doesn't care about the city or its arrogant fans. We will still be here with the pendulum swings and you dominate the division, the league, and have two WS titles over 5 years. Probably even pat you on the back and say "feels good, welcome to the club". But since it will be awhile before that can mathematically happen, I doubt anyone is too concerned. But hey, at least you have another underachieving Cowboys season and Kyrie Irving to look forward to.
Farmer1906
AG
The Shank Ag said:

I like how you point to these windows like they're equal. What the Astros are doing now is on the level of some of the greatest teams.

Do you respect the Big Red Machine? Because this is the best comp I could find. Over 9 years, they went to 4 WS, won 2 Championships, and made the postseason 6x.

No AL team has ever been to 6 straight ALCS.

How far back do you have to go to find teams with 2 titles?
Phillies - 1980
Dodgers - 1988
Braves - 1995
Yankees - 2000
Cardinals - 2006
Giants - 2012
Red Sox - 2013
Astros - 2017

The Astros have won at a .615 clip since 2017 to now. That's almost a 100-win pace for 7 years.

Could the pendulum swing back? Sure. Swing like this? Nah. That is damn near statistically impossible.
Marvin
AG
June 2, 1961

A day, actually the only day, in baseball history that the Rangers were a winning franchise. Some guy named Dick (how appropriate) helped the Senators beat the Kansas City Athletics to lift the team to a 24-23 record.

THAT is the date you guys should have memorialized on those softball uniforms!

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
jkag89
Too be fair, most Rangers fans don't accept their Washington Senators origins as the start of the franchise or at least a part of which they care about so to be somewhat fair to them . . .

Last time the Rangers were at the .500 mark since the move to Arlington: May 15, 1972 after sweeping the Twins in a double header which were the final two Ws of a five game winning streak.. They would promptly lose 8 of their next 9 games.

The highest mark over .500 the Rangers have been since moving to Arlington is two games. This happened twice in the early part of the '72 season: On April 24th they improved their record to 5-3 after sweeping the Angels in a four game series and on April 29th after back to back wins over the BoSox.
Marvin
AG
jkag89 said:

Too be fair, most Rangers fans don't accept their Washington Senators origins as the start of the franchise or at least a part of which they care about so to be somewhat fair to them . . .

Last time the Rangers were at the .500 mark since the move to Arlington: May 15, 1972 after sweeping the Twins in a double header which were the final two Ws of a five game winning streak.. They would promptly lose 8 of their next 9 games.

The highest mark over .500 the Rangers have been since moving to Arlington is two games. This happened twice in the early part of the '72 season: On April 24th they improved their record to 5-3 after sweeping the Angels in a four game series and on April 29th after back to back wins over the BoSox.

Saw that, but I liked the original version better!
South Platte
Farmer1906 said:

What the Astros are doing now is on the level of some of the greatest teams.

Do you respect the Big Red Machine? Because this is the best comp I could find. Over 9 years, they went to 4 WS, won 2 Championships, and made the postseason 6x.

Phillies - 1980
Dodgers - 1988
Braves - 1995
Yankees - 2000
Cardinals - 2006
Giants - 2012
Red Sox - 2013
Astros - 2017

The Astros have won at a .615 clip since 2017 to now. That's almost a 100-win pace for 7 years.

Could the pendulum swing back? Sure. Swing like this? Nah. That is damn near statistically impossible.
To be fair, this is truly an incredible run the Astros have been on. I'm pushing 50 and in my memory, only the Yankees run from about 1994 to about 2012 is better than what the Astros have done. No, they didn't make 6 straight ALCS. But any reasonable baseball fan would agree that a 19 season run like they had is an indisputable dynasty. Past that, the 1970's Reds, then back to the 40's and 50's Yankees.

The Giants won 3 WS over 5 seasons, but they had down years in between. The Red Sox had some weak teams scattered throughout their 15 year run as well.

It doesn't appear that Click had the same ability to find elite international talent and stock the farm system like Luhnow did, so hopefully the window is only open for another 5 years. Every baseball fan outside of Harris County is ready for you guys to just go away.
Marvin
AG
South Platte said:

Every baseball fan outside of Harris County is ready for you guys to just go away.

Right?! It's a great feeling!
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

Every baseball fan outside of Harris County is ready for you guys to just go away.

texasaggie2015
AG
Marvin said:

South Platte said:

Hey- not true. I live in Montgomery County!
Farmer1906
AG
South Platte said:

Farmer1906 said:

What the Astros are doing now is on the level of some of the greatest teams.

Phillies - 1980
Dodgers - 1988
Braves - 1995
Yankees - 2000
Cardinals - 2006
Giants - 2012
Red Sox - 2013
Astros - 2017

To be fair, this is truly an incredible run the Astros have been on. I'm pushing 50 and in my memory, only the Yankees run from about 1994 to about 2012 is better than what the Astros have done. No, they didn't make 6 straight ALCS. But any reasonable baseball fan would agree that a 19 season run like they had is an indisputable dynasty. Past that, the 1970's Reds, then back to the 40's and 50's Yankees.

The Giants won 3 WS over 5 seasons, but they had down years in between. The Red Sox had some weak teams scattered throughout their 15 year run as well.

It doesn't appear that Click had the same ability to find elite international talent and stock the farm system like Luhnow did, so hopefully the window is only open for another 5 years. Every baseball fan outside of Harris County is ready for you guys to just go away.
Mix in the 70s As and I think you covered most of the top ones.

As for your comment about Click, I think its TBD on his ability to sign international players. Pedro Leon (#3) was locked in Click got here even though he signed with Click as GM. Some names that look solid in our farm system are Miguel Ullola (#7 prospect), Kenni Gomez (#13), & Luis Baez (#18). All were signed by Click and rising fast.
fullback44
AG
I certainly don't remember the older Yankee teams but I thought the Braves run in the mid to late 90s time frame was fairly significant?
jkag89
texasaggie2015 said:

Marvin said:

South Platte said:

Hey- not true. I live in Montgomery County!
I live in Galveston County.
BadAggie
AG
I live in a county in DFW and want the Astros to never stop winning.

cc10106
The Astros have the most World Series appearances (5) this century and only trail the Yankees by one if you go back 25 years. Just something to keep in mind as the wishful thinkers claim the window is closing quickly.
South Platte
fullback44 said:

I certainly don't remember the older Yankee teams but I thought the Braves run in the mid to late 90s time frame was fairly significant?
I remember that run very clearly. Outside of their 1 lucky win over Cleveland in 1995, I never felt like they were a serious threat to win the Series. Lots of division titles followed by playoff exits. I'm probably not being fair to the Braves - they were littered with Hall of Famers. If Texas had a run like that I'd be draped head to toe in red, white, and blue.
South Platte
Ok, let's go with every baseball fan outside of counties that touch Harris County . . . .
cc10106
They got about as close as one can get in 1991 before losing in extra innings of Game 7.
jkag89
South Platte said:

Ok, let's go with every baseball fan outside of counties that touch Harris County . . . .
I would say you need to get outside your Metroplex bubble.
jkag89
Quote:

I remember that run very clearly. Outside of their 1 lucky win over Cleveland in 1995, I never felt like they were a serious threat to win the Series.
What do you consider a serious threat to win a World Series? They won 5 NL Pennants from '91 thru '99.
South Platte
Dad gum Tucker. I put the kids to bed and it's 6-3. Come down and see that the O's can't close the deal. It's way past time to walk Tucker with the bases loaded.
TefIon Don
AG
Wrong thread boomer
bearkatag15
AG
Pretty awesome for Scherzer to have a no hitter so far... hope he keeps it up
AustinCountyAg
Disagree. Austin County is very much Astros country. We all enjoy October baseball very much.
Dies Irae
bearkatag15 said:

Dudes hands probably looked like he just jacked off an elephant.

Ump checking his hands must be in on it
AustinCountyAg
bearkatag15 said:

had* a no hitter
LarryElder
No one outside of the metroplex knows the rangers exists they are a **** stain in the history of the MLb..

And yalls fan are complete fat weirdos.
gigem1223
LarryElder said:

No one outside of the metroplex knows the rangers exists they are a **** stain in the history of the MLb..

Whose sock is this? There's absolutely no way this guy is real
LarryElder
gigem1223 said:

LarryElder said:

Truth hurts I guess
Marvin
AG
gigem1223 said:

LarryElder said:

You're not the first to wonder.
Silent For Too Long
Just wanted to say that I'm a manager at the Katy Buccees and we get a massive hit about an hour after every Astros game as our fans make their way back to their various homes all over Texas.

Basically everything south of I20 is Astros country. 6 straight years of dominance will do that to the state.
fullback44
AG
Kyle Dam Tucker .. still can't get enough of that .. we (Dusty) needs to start playing our best players in the line up of we want to guarantee a PO spot .. quit Playing these non hitters

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.