Biden declares Easter "Transgender Day of Visibility"

27,153 Views | 826 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Rongagin71
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

schmendeler said:

Was the acceptance of miscegenation queer theory?
It may have been the birth pangs of postmodernism in this country. Not all societal norms are good, and not all are bad, but the family, and gender roles are not to be tampered with. The traditional family is the backbone of civilization. Science has proven that the best outcomes come from the traditional family. It bring stability It has stood the test of time in the best way possible.

Transexual ideology is new and radical, and based on John Money's experiment. Look it up. The kid killed himself, and yet we subject our youth to it.

Allowing the races to mix and potentially create mongrel children seems like a pretty big risk to take if you're trying to protect the sanctity of the family. Who knows how that could end up.

Turns out it was fine and the family was fine. Makes those people look pretty stupid. Anyway...
TxAgPreacher
S
The point is the fundamental basis behind transgenderism is queer theory, and the rejection of all things not queer.

Obviously this is madness, but those opposed to rigid family values are allying themselves with these radical ideologs who are pushing us to accept transgenderism when its clearly harmful, and not even possible. You cannot change your chromosomes .

Lets stay on topic. Not all societal norms are good. Gender roles are good. They are not a social construct. They are deeply biological, and unchangeable. Any attempt to change these things lead to horrible outcomes. That is a fact.
Macarthur
You know, not all "normal" social constructs have been good for all people.
schmendeler
AG
Macarthur said:

I keep hoping he'll realize that but it keeps getting past him.
dermdoc
AG
There are no government policies that are good for "all" people.
The only thing that is good for all people is the Gospel.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TxAgPreacher
S
I have a worldview, and moral clarity.

Moral relativism is rooted in postmodern thought, and is fundamentally flawed. Just like queer theory it rejects the very concept of objective truth. Some things are just true. The traditional family is fundamentally good. The alternative is horrific, but we throw out the good because its "not good for everyone", and subject everyone to radical ideas that are proven to be harmful.
Macarthur
Sigh. We've done pages on the other thread about objective morality. Yours isn't nearly as objective as you think it is.
DeProfundis
Macarthur said:

Try and grasp this. That is a feature not a bug. It's supposed to incentivize normal and disincentivize abnormal. It's like saying "you know laws against using hard drugs have really not worked out well for hard drug users"
TxAgPreacher
S
Macarthur said:

Sigh. We've done pages on the other thread about objective morality. Yours isn't nearly as objective as you think it is.
How about this then, What is a woman? Is that objective?
TxAgPreacher
S
Macarthur said:

You may not find me correct, and you may not like my morality, but my worldview is coherent.

Relativism is just craziness, and has no basis in facts. We have to be able to say if things are good or bad based on the evidence. I still haven't heard a defense of queer theory, moral relativism which has been on display in this thread, and I especially have not seen a defense of the ideology of transgenderism, or the horrific outcomes in contrast to traditional values.

Most bad outcomes in our world come from broken homes. That is a fact.
Sapper Redux
DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

Try and grasp this. That is a feature not a bug. It's supposed to incentivize normal and disincentivize abnormal. It's like saying "you know laws against using hard drugs have really not worked out well for hard drug users"

So Jim Crow by this logic was good since racism was "normal" and equal rights was "abnormal" at the time.
DeProfundis
Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

So Jim Crow by this logic was good since racism was "normal" and equal rights was "abnormal" at the time.

First off, is racism an objective bad?
TxAgPreacher
S
You missed my point entirely. I said not all norms.... this specific one.
Sapper Redux
TxAgPreacher said:

You missed my point entirely. I said not all norms.... this specific one.
No, I understand your point completely. But you're selectively ignoring history to justify what you've decided is right.
Sapper Redux
DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

Was Jim Crow good?
DeProfundis
Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

Was Jim Crow good?

Objectively bad. Your turn
Sapper Redux
DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

Was Jim Crow good?

And yet defended as objectively good by leading Christians in the United States when it existed and when it was attacked by the Civil Rights movement. Funny thing about history, what you think has been objectively true changes across time.
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

Was Jim Crow good?

And yet defended as objectively good by leading Christians in the United States when it existed and when it was attacked by the Civil Rights movement. Funny thing about history, what you think has been objectively true changes across time.

You're totally right, men can be women and women should have to see female *****es in their locker rooms and bathrooms. This is the argument that I've been waiting for, the one that finally clinched it!
DeProfundis
Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

Was Jim Crow good?

News flash: people throughout history have been wrong. Now please answer my question. If Jim Crow racism isn't objectively bad, why was it bad during the time it was enforced in the USA?
Sapper Redux
DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

Was Jim Crow good?

News flash: people throughout history have been wrong. Now please answer my question. If Jim Crow racism isn't objectively bad, why was it bad during the time it was enforced in the USA?

You're not getting the point. You claim to have truly objective ethics thanks to your religious views. Your own coreligionists haven't been able to articulate a consistent or coherent objective ethic around any number of issues. It's been dependent on the social environment constructed around them in which religion is one piece. You proclaim objectivity as a way to shut down critical thinking, not because you actually have an objective ethic.
kurt vonnegut
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

kurt vonnegut said:

Ok, spent my drive home listening to the video. The host appears to never have explicitly defined queer theory, but ascribed many things to it. Broadly, it sounded to me, like an ideology of rejection of norms. Perhaps starting with the rejection of norms about gender identity, but stretching into support of anarchy, pedophilia, and anything else considered to be a norm. He even lumped a rejection to pay the normal sales tax into the definition of queer theory. The host seemed almost clear that many queers reject 'queer theory' which makes me think that his definition on queer theory has very little to do with being queer and might simply be defined as indiscriminate rejection of social norms.

I also spent some time listening to a few different videos which were supposed to define queer theory for me. These definitions ascribed the idea specifically to the rejection of gender norms and said nothing about rejection of other norms.

. . . All of this to say that I don't know how to respond to your questions about queer theory, because I don't know how you define it. I have different reactions to the different definitions I gathered from the different videos.

Can you, in your own words, explain what queer theory is?
A rejection of societal all norms.

Our society has always rejected transsexualism, and defined man and woman in biological terms. These norms are what keep society stable. The family. Blurring the lines is bad in this case.

I think that your first sentence generally matches what I heard in the video you posted.

Queer theory applied to America in 1800 would suggest the norm of slavery was bad and we should free the slaves. Queer theory applied to America today would suggest the norm of non-slavery was bad and that we should enslave people. Queer theory applied to modern day China might suggest Christianity is good. And queer theory applied to modern day Mississippi might suggest Christianity is bad.

What queer theory represents, as you have stated it, is dependent on the society. It sounds like 'antagonism for the sake of antagonism' costumed in an academic sounding term. As such, it is a theory that potentially stands for anything and everything and nothing.

As you have defined it and as the video defines it, 'NO', I do not support queer theory. If I remember correctly, the speaker in your video suggested that some norms should be challenged, and I agree with that. And I think we might agree that challenging those norms should be done case by case and that the challenge should be based in more than 'F the norm !!!!' Transgenderism is a specific challenge to a norm and I would like to address it in a later post this morning.

I don't like speaking for others, but I feel reasonably confident that your other opponents in this thread would take a similar stance against queer theory - as you've described it. If so, I'm hoping we can drop it from the discussion as no one is actually arguing for it or defending it.
DeProfundis
Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Sapper Redux said:

DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

Was Jim Crow good?

You're not getting the point. You claim to have truly objective ethics thanks to your religious views. Your own coreligionists haven't been able to articulate a consistent or coherent objective ethic around any number of issues. It's been dependent on the social environment constructed around them in which religion is one piece. You proclaim objectivity as a way to shut down critical thinking, not because you actually have an objective ethic.

I don't have a point. I'll concede whatever you need me to concede to get you to answer the question that I'll be ask for the 3rd time. Is racism objectively bad? If not, why was it bad during the time of Jim Crow laws
TxAgPreacher
S
I would love to hear them reject queer theory, and admit there are some things that are objectively good and bad!
kurt vonnegut
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

schmendeler said:

Was the acceptance of miscegenation queer theory?
It may have been the birth pangs of postmodernism in this country. Not all societal norms are good, and not all are bad, but the family, and gender roles are not to be tampered with. The traditional family is the backbone of civilization. Science has proven that the best outcomes come from the traditional family. It brings stability It has stood the test of time in the best way possible.

Transexual ideology is new and radical, and based on John Money's experiment. Look it up. The kid killed himself, and yet we subject our youth to it.

"Science has proven that the best outcomes come from the traditional family. . . "

I hope this threw up red flags for everyone else. Using science to validate moral and value statements means you aren't using science. Nevertheless, I'm open to exploring what I think you mean with this statement.

First, I think we need to ask a question to identify the objectives that determine 'best outcome'. What is the metric being used? Is it mental health, physical health, level of education, wealth, material success, how often someone prays, how many followers they have on twitter? And then I think we need to ask if there are other family arrangements that can also result in desired outcomes. I think that questions like this are important to ask because we may have different definitions of what the best outcome is. Even amongst Christians, I would bet that you will find variation in answers to these questions.

For the next question, I want to be clear that I am no interested in challenging your personal beliefs about right or wrong. I am only interested in challenging what you think the role of government ought to be. So. . . what should the role of government be?

For me, I accept that the government has a general well being in the success and happiness and stability of the citizens its supposed to represent. As such, it does not feel like an egregious crossing of lines for the government to generally endorse general well being. What does feel like a crossing of the line is if the government is to specifically endorse how we must achieve that well being.

For example, a statement from a government official recommending good eating habits and exercise is not problematic in my opinion. However, a statement from a government official saying that the US government endorses one restaurant chain and one exercise equipment manufacturer and rejects all other restaurants and exercise equipment is too far. I think most of us would agree that restaurants and exercise equipment manufacturers should compete for our business free of the government placing its thumb on the balance.

The same is true, to me, for the marketplace of ideas. For the government to generally promote family or relationships is fine. To say that family and relationships must be 'x' is too far. Again, let people explore the marketplace of ideas and decide. I do not believe it should be the role of government to place its thumb on the balance and push people toward one set of beliefs or the other.

Regarding Biden's statement: If this were the only statement he made, it would be problematic. But, given the WH issues statements constantly in support of Christians, Muslims, Hindus, LGBTQ, and everyone else . . . and given the fact that I've never seen a Biden statement specifically objecting to the idea of Christianity, I'm very much inclined to say that he is not putting his finger down in a problematic manner. I have no doubt that you can find examples where Biden or government persons have crossed that line. And make no mistake, for every example you find, I'll find 100 examples of a president or other government representative crossing the line in favor of Christianity. And this is why I find the outrage at the Biden statement so absurd. In 5 minutes, I bet I could find 50 examples of conservative representatives very specifically condemning LGBTQ lifestyles. It doesn't bother you, because you agree with it. But, I think you ought to be consistent with what you feel government's role is in the discussion.

All of that said, I know I've made suggestions that you may be in favor of Christian fascist theocracy. So that we understand where you stand, what do you favor?
kurt vonnegut
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

I would love to hear them reject queer theory, and admit there are some things that are objectively good and bad!

Like MacArthur said, we've done pages and pages and pages on moral objectivism. And the threads always end up with someone pointing out that unless you are God Almighty Himself, then claiming that moral objectivity exists is only as useful as your ability to understand what those objectives are. I can claim all day long that moral objectivity is true and that the Flying Spaghetti Monster revealed those truths to me. But, unless there is some mechanism to validate those truths, I'm just a guy rambling about a supernatural pasta monster.

And unless you are The God, Creator of the Universe, or are otherwise able to prove that you are the appointed mouthpiece of God, you are just a guy making claims about what is good and bad. Why should I listen to you? You aren't God and you don't speak for God as far as I can tell. If God exists and has moral objectives, then your attempts to understand them are just as subjective as everyone else's attempts.
DeProfundis
kurt vonnegut said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Like MacArthur said, we've done pages and pages and pages on moral objectivism. And the threads always end up with someone pointing out that unless you are God Almighty Himself, then claiming that moral objectivity exists is only as useful as your ability to understand what those objectives are. I can claim all day long that moral objectivity is true and that the Flying Spaghetti Monster revealed those truths to me. But, unless there is some mechanism to validate those truths, I'm just a guy rambling about a supernatural pasta monster.

And unless you are The God, Creator of the Universe, or are otherwise able to prove that you are the appointed mouthpiece of God, you are just a guy making claims about what is good and bad. Why should I listen to you? You aren't God and you don't speak for God as far as I can tell. If God exists and has moral objectives, then your attempts to understand them are just as subjective as everyone else's attempts.

This is all well and good, until you make the claim that "x is bad". That's my entire point. The second you claim something is good or bad, your entire argument falls apart and becomes internally dissonant. God's morality isn't a GPS system, it's a lighthouse. It gives us a point to steer towards in every position, we might not know where land is exactly, but we know which general direction it's in. BECAUSE of that, we're able to base our morality and decision on something outside of ourself, rather than personal preference.
kurt vonnegut
AG
DeProfundis said:

This is all well and good, until you make the claim that "x is bad". That's my entire point. The second you claim something is good or bad, your entire argument falls apart and becomes internally dissonant. God's morality isn't a GPS system, it's a lighthouse. It gives us a point to steer towards in every position, we might not know where land is exactly, but we know which general direction it's in. BECAUSE of that, we're able to base our morality and decision on something outside of ourself, rather than personal preference.

My claim that 'x' is good / bad is a statement of opinion. Pizza is not objectively good or bad. Does that mean I'm not allowed to say that I think pizza is good?

dermdoc
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Scripture says that God's laws will be etched on our hearts. And we have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us.
So it is not us or our wisdom, but actually God's wisdom imparted through us.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DeProfundis
kurt vonnegut said:

DeProfundis said:

My claim that 'x' is good / bad is a statement of opinion. Pizza is not objectively good or bad. Does that mean I'm not allowed to say that I think pizza is good?

Saying pizza is good is fine. When you're making impassioned arguments about the morality of behaviors and in the next breath claiming morality is subject, it's pretty dumb. But pizza is fine.
kurt vonnegut
AG
DeProfundis said:

God's morality isn't a GPS system, it's a lighthouse. It gives us a point to steer towards in every position, we might not know where land is exactly, but we know which general direction it's in. BECAUSE of that, we're able to base our morality and decision on something outside of ourself, rather than personal preference.

Cool, I don't see a light. I've looked, and I don't see it. What I do see is a whole mess of people yelling at me that their light house is pointing in every direction imaginable. Christians may be all looking in a relatively similar direction, but youre still a bit all over the place.

So, I have no problem with you believing whatever you want. But, until God comes down and smacks me on the head or until you can actually PROVE anything you are saying. . . . your just some guy saying stuff. Why should I believe you?
AGC
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

DeProfundis said:

Is everything in life this way or no? If no, what's the moral principle you can appeal to that would make something 'bad' and how can you prove it to actually be so?
kurt vonnegut
AG
DeProfundis said:

Saying pizza is good is fine. When you're making impassioned arguments about the morality of behaviors and in the next breath claiming morality is subject, it's pretty dumb. But pizza is fine.

Do you really need me to say the words "In my opinion" within every statement I make so that its clear that my impassioned arguments are just subjective opinions I feel strongly about? That sounds utterly exhausting.
DeProfundis
kurt vonnegut said:

DeProfundis said:

God's morality isn't a GPS system, it's a lighthouse. It gives us a point to steer towards in every position, we might not know where land is exactly, but we know which general direction it's in. BECAUSE of that, we're able to base our morality and decision on something outside of ourself, rather than personal preference.

Cool, I don't see a light. I've looked, and I don't see it. What I do see is a whole mess of people yelling at me that their light house is pointing in every direction imaginable. Christians may be all looking in a relatively similar direction, but youre still a bit all over the place.

So, I have no problem with you believing whatever you want. But, until God comes down and smacks me on the head or until you can actually PROVE anything you are saying. . . . you're just some guy saying stuff. Why should I believe you?

You absolutely see a light, the entire world sees a light which is why there is ridiculous overlap on moral issues throughout time and distance. These are moral issues that natural selection and fitness don't select for. Again tell me why it's wrong to steal, or kill, or lie. It doesn't matter if you wouldn't want someone to do those things to you, that's just another facet of morality. Where did all of this homogeneity of morality come from?
dermdoc
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

DeProfundis said:

So, I have no problem with you believing whatever you want. But, until God comes down and smacks me on the head or until you can actually PROVE anything you are saying. . . . your just some guy saying stuff. Why should I believe you?

Not speaking for the good reverend, but the proof of God is evident everywhere.
kurt vonnegut
AG
AGC said:

Is everything in life this way or no? If no, what's the moral principle you can appeal to that would make something 'bad' and how can you prove it to actually be so?

No, some things are not opinion. Water is made up of Oxygen and Hydrogen.

I'm not going to answer your second question. I've answered this question directly to you a dozen times in other threads already. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt here. . . . but, damn, AGC.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.