Biden declares Easter "Transgender Day of Visibility"

27,197 Views | 826 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Rongagin71
BonfireNerd04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, now that their day is over, trans people can go back to being invisible.
TxAgPreacher
S
barbacoa taco said:

For everyone mad about this, you can rest assured, transgender day of visibility will not fall on the same date as Easter again until 2086.

https://www.census.gov/data/software/x13as/genhol/easter-dates.html#par_textimage_1067001717

How about good friday? How about any day during holy week?
Beer Baron
AG
barbacoa taco said:

For everyone mad about this, you can rest assured, transgender day of visibility will not fall on the same date as Easter again until 2086.

https://www.census.gov/data/software/x13as/genhol/easter-dates.html#par_textimage_1067001717
You have to admit though, Big Trans' plan to pick a day that allowed their thing coincide with Easter twice every century was a stroke of absolute genius. I can just see them all scheming, back in 2009, and saying "This is it. We'll hit Easter in 2024 and 2086, and THAT'LL show them, once and for all!"
Beer Baron
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

barbacoa taco said:

Can we just get a list of dates that will hurt your fee fees if other people do things on them too? I know y'all like to complain about Christmas being over commercialized, but for our purposes here I'm assuming everything is off limits to anyone but Christians starting the day after Halloween when stores start decorating, all the way up through Epiphany.
Sapper Redux
Just glad that Christians don't use the Islamic calendar or the entire year would be off limits.
DeProfundis
Beer Baron said:

barbacoa taco said:

You have to admit though, Big Trans' plan to pick a day that allowed their thing coincide with Easter twice every century was a stroke of absolute genius. I can just see them all scheming, back in 2009, and saying "This is it. We'll hit Easter in 2024 and 2086, and THAT'LL show them, once and for all!"

Man I was enjoying Rear Barin's decade of invisibility
TxAgPreacher
S
Beer Baron said:

TxAgPreacher said:

barbacoa taco said:

Can we just get a list of dates that will hurt your fee fees if other people do things on them too? I know y'all like to complain about Christmas being over commercialized, but for our purposes here I'm assuming everything is off limits to anyone but Christians starting the day after Halloween when stores start decorating, all the way up through Epiphany.

Any day outside of a one month window is fine. Leaves over 300 days to choose.

My point was its antagonistic on purpose. Anyone honest would admit that.
DeProfundis
TxAgPreacher said:

Beer Baron said:

TxAgPreacher said:

barbacoa taco said:

My point was its antagonistic on purpose anyone honest would admit that.

To be fair you do have to shoehorn them into the other recognized days
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

Great. December 25 it is then.

Quote:

Yeah, you're right. Those two Easters in in the entire 21st Century are going to be stinging yall for centuries.
TxAgPreacher
S
It will hit in holy week VERY OFTEN. Why run interference for something like this???
DeProfundis
TxAgPreacher said:

It will hit in holy week VERY OFTEN. Why run interference for something like this???

It's easier than explaining why Harvey Milk day coincides with the last day of school
Beer Baron
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

Because your pearl clutching over it is ridiculous. Groups pick a day to market as National Whatever Day all the time. Apparently today is National Ferret Day. Is that ok? Did anyone check with Christians to make sure it wasn't offensive having it in a week that could potentially be Easter or in the vicinity of Easter in 35 years?

Did someone come to your house and make you participate in Trans Day of Visibility yesterday? No one did for me - I had a normal day despite not celebrating Easter, and somehow I was able to just let y'all have your day without being mad at you for doing it. And your day did tangentially impact me - HEB was closed so I wasn't able to get groceries for the week. But you know what, good for them for giving their employees a day off. I'll just buy my stuff today.

It's just so weird how you think you own certain parts of the calendar somehow. And again - when can LGBT people do things around Christmas? Is it just the day of, or is there a "Season" the home office needs to know about when we're making our evil plans?
TxAgPreacher
S
Honestly I apose them having any day.

The point is it was obviously chosen to be on a day to stick it to Christian's.
Rocag
AG
DeProfundis said:

TxAgPreacher said:

It's easier than explaining why Harvey Milk day coincides with the last day of school
I can't tell if this is supposed to be satire or not. Poe's Law in action I guess.

You're aware that the "last day of school" isn't any one set date but varies from school to school, district to district, state to state, and so on aren't you?

I swear, you conservative Christians are going to find something to be outraged about no matter what. Given that, I'd say the rest of us should stop caring what the outrage du jour happens to be.
Sapper Redux
TxAgPreacher said:

Beer Baron said:

TxAgPreacher said:

barbacoa taco said:

March 31 every year is antagonistic? The only antagonist group here are Christians acting like spoiled brats.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

Honestly I apose them having any day.
That's what this is really about, isn't it? There isn't a day that this could happen that wouldn't upset you, and you'd rather trans people just weren't a thing you had to know about existing. The fact is this thing has happened every year for over a decade on the same day, and you never even knew about it until the right news/social media outlet told you to be mad about it, and you dutifully obliged like a good little rage robot. Next year, this will happen a full three weeks before Easter, and by then I doubt you'll even remember it was ever a thing.
TxAgPreacher
S
So you support a day of visibility?
Beer Baron
AG
Sure, if they want to do it, fine. Same with National Ferret Day or National Margarita Day or whatever. None of them require me to do anything or expend even the slightest amount of energy.
TxAgPreacher
S
So why do you care that I care?
kurt vonnegut
AG
Bob Lee said:

It really boils down to a wrong understanding of freedom. Here's how George Weigel explains Thomas Aquinas' view of freedom:

"Freedom is a means to human excellence, to human happiness, to the fulfillment of human destiny. Freedom is the capacity to choose wisely and to act well as a matter of habit-or, to use the old-fashioned term, as an outgrowth of virtue. Freedom is the means by which, exercising both our reason and our will, we act on the natural longing for truth, for goodness, and for happiness that is built into us as human beings. Freedom is something that grows in us, and the habit of living freedom wisely must be developed through education, which among other things involves the experience of emulating others who live wisely and well. Freedom is the great organizing principle of the moral life-and since the very possibility of a moral life (the capacity to think and choose) is what distinguishes the human person from the rest of the natural world, freedom is the great organizing principle of a life lived in a truly human way."

Eta: just to sum this up in a few words: the ability to choose is what makes it possible for us to act in a way that's not morally ambiguous. But it doesn't imply that we have the right to do whatever we want to do.

We don't think about lesser animals the same way. If a lion kills and eats a gazelle, he hasn't "murdered" it. If some animal forces copulation onto another animal, it hasn't "raped" it. We understand intuitively there's a dimension to human freedom that implies an obligation to choose the good that's not true of lesser animals.

You're using freedom and liberty as a kind of proxy for morality, but that's incoherent from your perspective. Because if exercising MY freedom, as you put it, is violative of YOUR freedom, then the same is true in reverse. Even if I just adopt your caricature of the Christian brand of freedom as raw coercion, tell me why that's bad in your view.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither Thomas Aquinas nor George Weigel authored The Constitution nor are their opinions legally binding. While I don't share the same understanding of freedom as you do, I accept this explanation as a reasonable one given certain presuppositions. And I see zero issue with your church adopting this definition of freedom. The legal problem with it, in my opinion, is that there is far far too much within what is implied in that description of freedom that requires specific endorsement of Christianity. Descriptions of concepts like goodness are not universal. Were America a Christian theocracy, then I think your argument above would be valid. And perhaps you wish for America to be a Christian theocracy, but I don't know that to the case.

Freedom, as the term is generally used in modern times, requires compromise. In order for you to have freedom, I must be limited in my freedom and vice versa. Specifically, I must not have the freedom to remove your freedom. So. . . . In order for freedom of religion to exist, we must have limitations on the freedom to impose or restrict religion on others. And in order to have freedom of speech, we must have limitations on the freedom to impose censorship.

As you said - having the freedom to choose does not imply the right to do whatever we want to do. For example, you would like to have the freedom to believe and worship as you see fit. And I assume that you would oppose the right of someone else to restrict your ability to believe and worship as you see fit. Similarly, I think Biden should be permitted to endorse trans rights on Easter. And I do not think you should have the right to restrict him from doing so. This is the compromise, is it not?

Quote:

Can it be that some people's freedom is better than others? Or maybe that some people have a distorted view of freedom and morals?
Who gets to be that judge? You?

The posts that I responded to those that were calling for the forceful removal of the right of an individual to live as a trans person or for them to exist in society free of oppression and marginalization. And my response is to say that I should have no more right to legally oppress Christianity than you should have to legally oppress trans persons.

The problem, however, is as you just stated. You believe that your freedom is more important than other people's. And because you have magical knowledge that your views are more correct and less distorted, you believe that you deserve rights that others are not permitted to have . . . namely, the right to restrict other people's freedom of speech and religion in a way that they are not permitted to do in return.

And as much as you want to argue against it, this is the crux of the social backlash against Christianity. You simply cannot accept and respect that other people have different beliefs.
Beer Baron
AG
It's honestly just bizarre and fascinating to watch. You just had one of your supposedly holiest of holiday seasons and you spent a decent chunk of it on....this. I'd argue you spent a lot more time on it than most trans people did. And soon you'll move past it just in time to be spoon fed the next outrage du jour and you'll never think of it again despite caring so much about it right now.
TxAgPreacher
S
Then why don't you stop running interference, and stop putting forth any mental energy if you really don't care?
Bob Lee
AG
Beer Baron said:

Sure, if they want to do it, fine. Same with National Ferret Day or National Margarita Day or whatever. None of them require me to do anything or expend even the slightest amount of energy.

In your opinion why hasn't the White House made a proclamation about National Ferret Day? Why that day but not this day? Why aren't we lighting up our cities skylines in celebration of Ferret Day do you think?
Beer Baron
AG
I do care about the broader issue of LGBT rights, and when something as simple as a random marketing tool that most LGBT people didn't even know existed is enough to get people so worked up that they openly advocate for marginalizing us and pushing us to the edge of society, that's worth my time to engage with.
Sapper Redux
Bob Lee said:

Beer Baron said:

In your opinion why hasn't the White House made a proclamation about National Ferret Day? Why that day but not this day? Why aren't we lighting up our cities skylines in celebration of Ferret Day do you think?

Because ferrets get surprised easily and put off a bad odor.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

Probably because it thinks trans people are more important than ferrets. I would tend to agree.

Presidents to proclamations for all kinds of things. Even Christian things. Here's a lovely one President Trump did on the National Day of Prayer.

Oops, sorry, that was President Biden, who I'm sure will do so again this May long after you've put this very upsetting episode behind you.
TxAgPreacher
S
I think that transsexualism is harmful to society. We should not normalize mental illness.

So I do care. It's bad for our country.
schmendeler
AG
I see that the resident religious faithful are behaving very normally and not at all crazy.
TxAgPreacher
S
Crazy like pretending you are the opposite sex, or supporting others who do?
schmendeler
AG
Crazy like making up **** about other people who aren't affecting you but make you feel icky.
TxAgPreacher
S
I don't want my kids, or any other person to be exposed to a harmful ideology, and I'm not afraid to say that the transsexual ideology is harmful.
schmendeler
AG
Too bad harmful ideologies are all around and you don't get to decide which ones exist. Nor do I. It's called living in a society with others. You sometimes have to endure idiots.
barbacoa taco
AG
I'm not even religious and by all accounts it looks like I had a better Easter than most conservative Christians.
Beer Baron
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

I don't want my kids, or any other person to be exposed to a harmful ideology, and I'm not afraid to say that the transsexual ideology is harmful.
So you're creating a space for your kids then. One that's safe from certain things. Is there a term for such a place?
TxAgPreacher
S
Yes!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.