Biden declares Easter "Transgender Day of Visibility"

26,954 Views | 826 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Rongagin71
AGC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

You are correct about Christian's being sinners. That is why we need a Savior.

And the God who created you loves you Kurt.

Of course the Flying Spaghetti Monster loves me. He told me in my revelation last night.

However, you didn't really address why Christians are so obsessed with sexual sins when all of these other sins are right there in your lap. I feel like Jesus said something about casting stones . . . . not sure. . . .

Super lazy argument in a world where our government is actively proclaiming them as good and things to be proud of.
kurt vonnegut
AG
dermdoc said:

kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

Of course the Flying Spaghetti Monster loves me. He told me in my revelation last night.

However, you didn't really address why Christians are so obsessed with sexual sins when all of these other sins are right there in your lap. I feel like Jesus said something about casting stones . . . . not sure. . . .

I honestly do not know the answer to that question. And I am not throwing any stones.

Ok, but plenty of people do throw stones. Maybe the question I should ask you is, Does it bother you that Christians (generally) outwardly condemn non-heterosexual sexual sins disproportionately? Where is the Christian movement against corporate and personal greed? Or the movement against political hatred? When was the last time you heard a Christian say that Hinduism is sick and should be marginalized while hundred million other American Christians nodded in agreement? Where is the outrage at the tens of millions of Christian divorces? Heterosexual sexuality is on full display in our society - you can't watch tv, drive around town, or exist in this world without constantly seeing the equivalent of a woman in a bikini playing beach volleyball trying to sell you beer.

Don't you look around the world and see the pain and suffering and greed and hatred and think to yourself: "Why are we so obsessed with 'this' but not 'that'?
DeProfundis
kurt vonnegut said:

DeProfundis said:

That's because you have a morally relativist viewpoint. I doubt you'd fight for someone's right to prostitute their children would you? What about the right for parents to ground their children to their room? I'm sure you'd have differing opinions on those two subjects. That's what I don't understand about you guys, you say there are no such things as lines, and then set guidelines for where to draw them based on whatever the majority of society can agree on. Your philosophy is essentially "might makes right" dressed up in some enlightenment level gobbledygook about self-ownership.

The only way your philosophy makes sense, is in a world where right and wrong are just mere differences in opinion. In a morally relativist world you can't even tell us that what we're doing is wrong, it's just not your cup of tea. Without your ability to make a claim on us it becomes us just shouting at each other "I don't like what you're doing". Facile.

Well, there it is. I'm surprised it took this long for this argument to pop up. Because I have honesty enough to not misrepresent my beliefs as objective facts based on zero evidence, my position should just be discarded, right?

Funny how things work out though. . . . last night, I had this dream. A revelation from the Creator of the Universe!!! The Flying Spaghetti Monster appeared to me and revealed the truth about existence, the purpose of humanity, how He created existence in 5 days, and then revealed to me all of His commandments. I'm no longer a moral relativist - rather, I'm going to just assume and represent my beliefs as fact. Also, it turns out that the REAL God (FSM), doesn't think trans people are evil. He really dislike Christians though. So through divine revelation, I know that transgenderism is not evil, but Christianity is.

There, now are we on equal footing? I've shown you that my 'opinions' are actually objectively true and given you 'evidence' that I'm correct. I mean, how can you possibly disagree with me now?

I'm not even making a value judgement on the belief system, merely saying it is internally incoherent. You cannot claim that right and wrong do not exist, but I'm definitely wrong. Take your spaghetti monster deity; you would at least have a consistent ethos and be able to say "according to my god this is x and this is y", instead you adopt the scoffing atheist incredulity that the philosophy and religion that built the best societies known to mankind demands fidelity lest the entire house of cards comes tumbling down (as we see around us) in favor of "you can do whatever you want to, there are no rules……except for these".

DeProfundis
kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

I'll answer. The sexual sins are the ones being pushed right now as they cut to the heart of societal stability which is predicated upon the family. If you're begging for us to be even more strict with regards to the other sins, I'm right there with you. Did you see the list of pet days devoted to just the LGBTQ agenda? Show me where "Underpaying your workers" day of rememberance is. Show me where "taking the Lord's name in vain" viability day is.

Our Lady of Fatima said that more souls go to hell for sins of the flesh than any other sin.
kurt vonnegut
AG
AGC said:

kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

Super lazy argument in a world where our government is actively proclaiming them as good and things to be proud of.

Three things.

First, this is a deflection. I'm asking for Christians to justify their obsession with sexual sins, not the government.

Second, this is largely a problem of your own making. No one would talk about LGBTQ rights or protections if you all weren't so obsessed about it.

Third, Boohoo, a government person said something you don't like. Christianity's biggest days are national holidays and there are always plenty of government sources that, in their official capacity, proclaim something in support of Christianity. I'm having trouble recognizing your objection as anything other than an objection to the government supporting any idea that is not specifically Christian. And if thats the case, just admit that you want Christian theocracy in this country so that we all know where we stand.
kurt vonnegut
AG
DeProfundis said:

I'm not even making a value judgement on the belief system, merely saying it is internally incoherent. You cannot claim that right and wrong do not exist, but I'm definitely wrong. Take your spaghetti monster deity; you would at least have a consistent ethos and be able to say "according to my god this is x and this is y", instead you adopt the scoffing atheist incredulity that the philosophy and religion that built the best societies known to mankind demands fidelity lest the entire house of cards comes tumbling down (as we see around us) in favor of "you can do whatever you want to, there are no rules……except for these".

And of what value is your internal consistency if it cannot be validated? Rather than a bug, the open endedness of secular moral philosophy may be a feature as it allows for growth and reconsideration of questions and issues.
dermdoc
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

I honestly do not know the answer to that question. And I am not throwing any stones.

Ok, but plenty of people do throw stones. Maybe the question I should ask you is, Does it bother you that Christians (generally) outwardly condemn non-heterosexual sexual sins disproportionately? Where is the Christian movement against corporate and personal greed? Or the movement against political hatred? When was the last time you heard a Christian say that Hinduism is sick and should be marginalized while hundred million other American Christians nodded in agreement? Where is the outrage at the tens of millions of Christian divorces? Heterosexual sexuality is on full display in our society - you can't watch tv, drive around town, or exist in this world without constantly seeing the equivalent of a woman in a bikini playing beach volleyball trying to sell you beer.

Don't you look around the world and see the pain and suffering and greed and hatred and think to yourself: "Why are we so obsessed with 'this' but not 'that'?

All Christians do not act the way you describe. And hypocrisy is certainly not limited to Christians.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
kurt vonnegut
AG
DeProfundis said:

I'll answer. The sexual sins are the ones being pushed right now as they cut to the heart of societal stability which is predicated upon the family. If you're begging for us to be even more strict with regards to the other sins, I'm right there with you. Did you see the list of pet days devoted to just the LGBTQ agenda? Show me where "Underpaying your workers" day of rememberance is. Show me where "taking the Lord's name in vain" viability day is.

Our Lady of Fatima said that more souls go to hell for sins of the flesh than any other sin.

If Christians were calling for days to call attention to those other sins, I would say you all would at be acting more consistently and with less hypocrisy. This world is not going to hell because two dudes want to sleep together. Its going to hell because of greed and hate. Two sins that Christians like to participate in. . . . which is why we don't talk about them.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

And if thats the case, just admit that you want Christian theocracy in this country so that we all know where we stand.
That's one thing where I do admire Bustupachiffarobe for his consistency. He openly advocates for a Taliban-style Christian government in this country.
AGC
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

AGC said:

kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

Three things.

First, this is a deflection. I'm asking for Christians to justify their obsession with sexual sins, not the government.

Second, this is largely a problem of your own making. No one would talk about LGBTQ rights or protections if you all weren't so obsessed about it.

Third, Boohoo, a government person said something you don't like. Christianity's biggest days are national holidays and there are always plenty of government sources that, in their official capacity, proclaim something in support of Christianity. I'm having trouble recognizing your objection as anything other than an objection to the government supporting any idea that is not specifically Christian. And if thats the case, just admit that you want Christian theocracy in this country so that we all know where we stand.

This thread is about the president and the sec of Ed is making explicit statements. What's to deflect? Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved. Can Christians comment on their government or not?

Second, we're pro-family and yes, that means marginalizing anti-family structures and systems. We also marginalize rape, incest, pedophilia, and other things. Marginalization in and of itself is not bad. The scope of human behavior is not and never should be the barometer of what is acceptable.

Third, don't be lazy in your posting. Asking why Christians are obsessed with something the president is issuing public statements on is objectively ridiculous.
Sapper Redux
DeProfundis said:

kurt vonnegut said:

DeProfundis said:

That's because you have a morally relativist viewpoint. I doubt you'd fight for someone's right to prostitute their children would you? What about the right for parents to ground their children to their room? I'm sure you'd have differing opinions on those two subjects. That's what I don't understand about you guys, you say there are no such things as lines, and then set guidelines for where to draw them based on whatever the majority of society can agree on. Your philosophy is essentially "might makes right" dressed up in some enlightenment level gobbledygook about self-ownership.

The only way your philosophy makes sense, is in a world where right and wrong are just mere differences in opinion. In a morally relativist world you can't even tell us that what we're doing is wrong, it's just not your cup of tea. Without your ability to make a claim on us it becomes us just shouting at each other "I don't like what you're doing". Facile.

Well, there it is. I'm surprised it took this long for this argument to pop up. Because I have honesty enough to not misrepresent my beliefs as objective facts based on zero evidence, my position should just be discarded, right?

Funny how things work out though. . . . last night, I had this dream. A revelation from the Creator of the Universe!!! The Flying Spaghetti Monster appeared to me and revealed the truth about existence, the purpose of humanity, how He created existence in 5 days, and then revealed to me all of His commandments. I'm no longer a moral relativist - rather, I'm going to just assume and represent my beliefs as fact. Also, it turns out that the REAL God (FSM), doesn't think trans people are evil. He really dislike Christians though. So through divine revelation, I know that transgenderism is not evil, but Christianity is.

There, now are we on equal footing? I've shown you that my 'opinions' are actually objectively true and given you 'evidence' that I'm correct. I mean, how can you possibly disagree with me now?

So ethics are only consistent and enforceable if you believe someone/something more powerful demands it?
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

kurt vonnegut said:

AGC said:

kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

Three things.

This thread is about the president and the sec of Ed is making explicit statements. What's to deflect? Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved. Can Christians comment on their government or not?

Second, we're pro-family and yes, that means marginalizing anti-family structures and systems. We also marginalize rape, incest, pedophilia, and other things. Marginalization in and of itself is not bad. The scope of human behavior is not and never should be the barometer of what is acceptable.

Third, don't be lazy in your posting. Asking why Christians are obsessed with something the president is issuing public statements on is objectively ridiculous.
So trans people are equivalent to rapists and pedophiles?
kurt vonnegut
AG
dermdoc said:

All Christians do not act the way you describe. And hypocrisy is certainly not limited to Christians.
Sure, I know many of them that do not act this way. Several of my closest friends are devout Christians. But, they are the type of Christians that don't hate 'others' and wrap it up to pretend like its actually love.

Unless the hypocrisy of non Christians justifies Christian hypocrisy, then I don't have a response to the second sentence above. Nevertheless, if you wanted to start a thread about concerns and problems with atheists or the far left or some other group, then I'm in.
DeProfundis
kurt vonnegut said:

DeProfundis said:

And of what value is your internal consistency if it cannot be validated? Rather than a bug, the open endedness of secular moral philosophy may be a feature as it allows for growth and reconsideration of questions and issues.

Everything? What value is an inch if it's just a made up length? Everything, because it allows you to say something is X inches long and know what that means. Imagine if the value of an inch depended on the person's personal definition, what chaos would ensue.

All the "feature" you've mentioned is again "might makes right". The "growth and reconsideration" is just "2/3 of the population is now fine with eating their youth, so it's okay now".

Take this thought experiment: two fathers, both with 12 year old boys.

1 father has his son mow the lawn of a retired neighbor who is unable to do so

1 father prostitutes his son for money.

Is 1 scenario wrong and the other okay? Are both wrong? Are you able to even answer with other than "the 2nd sounds icky" . In your morality, there are some situations when the 2nd is permissible otherwise it'd be objectively immoral and then we'd have to ask where the objectivity came from.

AGC
AG
Here comes the outrage machine!
barbacoa taco
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

This is something that has bothered me for a very long time.

I think the trans outrage is over the top, but I at least UNDERSTAND why Christians do not like it.

We had all that outrage and gnashing of teeth over trans day of visibility over the weekend, but when Trump's "patriotic" Bibles for $60 apiece, we didn't hear a peep from this crowd. Why not? That's pretty damn offensive and a clear attempt to scam people, specifically Christians living in America.

Seriously, Trump is that guy trying to sell things at a church and rip people off and no one bats an eye. Apparently he gets special treatment. Pretty sure if Jesus saw that he'd flip a table.
DeProfundis
kurt vonnegut said:

DeProfundis said:

If Christians were calling for days to call attention to those other sins, I would say you all would at be acting more consistently and with less hypocrisy. This world is not going to hell because two dudes want to sleep together. Its going to hell because of greed and hate. Two sins that Christians like to participate in. . . . which is why we don't talk about them.

We can't win with you guys, we call for an end to no fault divorce and criminalization of adultery and we're "christofascists". We attack the LGBT agenda and we're "homophobes whitewashing other sexual sins"
dermdoc
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

DeProfundis said:

Do Christians have a day dedicated to anti LGBT stuff? So why should they have a day dedicated to anti greed or any of the other stuff you mentioned?

We are all sinners. That is why the world is going to hell. And that is why we need a Savior.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DeProfundis
Beer Baron said:

Quote:

And if thats the case, just admit that you want Christian theocracy in this country so that we all know where we stand.
That's one thing where I do admire Bustupachiffarobe for his consistency. He openly advocates for a Taliban-style Christian government in this country.

I think you'd like it, the uniforms would be extremely well made
schmendeler
AG
DeProfundis said:

kurt vonnegut said:

DeProfundis said:

We can't win with you guys, we call for an end to no fault divorce and criminalization of adultery and we're "christofascists". We attack the LGBT agenda and we're "homophobes whitewashing other sexual sins"

DeProfundis
Hey that's our meme
TxAgPreacher
S
kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

We do preach on, and focus on all the other stuff. This one issue just gets push back for some reason. You tell me why...

I've never had a drunk tell me I should accept his bad behavior.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

Like I said earlier, you're one of the few who is consistently terrible on this stuff. It's much more common to encounter Christians who realize living in a world where all that stuff is policed and punished by the government would be terrible, but are willing to make an exception for gay stuff.
Bob Lee
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Bob Lee said:

If you can't understand there's no compromise to be had between two mutually exclusive philosophies, we aren't going to get anywhere. It would be as if one guy is hell bent on killing the other guy, who doesn't want to die. But then you come along, and say "why don't y'all compromise?"

Do you know what other philosophies are mutually exclusive? Christianity and Hinduism. Or Christianity and Islam. Or Christianity and Judaism. Or Christianity and atheism, or agnosticism, or Buddhism, or paganism, or scientology. Or Catholicism and Mormonism even. But, somehow, we coexist in this country with different sets of beliefs.

Here are some other things that are mutually exclusive. . . . Christian teaching and greed, hate, divorce, gluttony, laziness, drunkenness, idolatry, adultery, eating shellfish, and wearing mixed fabrics. Despite that, and even though you would say we should avoid those sins, Christians are absolutely RIPE with these sins. But yes, the gays and the lesbians and the trans people must be stopped!

Quote:

You also have a philosophical bias that precludes any belief in a law giver, but somehow you've fashioned moral rights and duties for yourself. Where do those come from? How have you missed this? And how do you keep missing it over and over? How do you know what you have a right to, or what are your obligations? Explain it to me.

First sentence is 100% wrong. I simply require evidence to believe something.

I've explained where my morals and values come from many times. I do so over and over and over and you keep missing it. So lets save some time and not rehash it - because you'll reject then ignore it anyway. And on the next thread we meet up at again, you'll just ask the same questions anyway.

On your answer about mutually exclusive philosophies, you'd have to give particular examples. Almost without exception, there aren't the kind of important teleological differences that preclude a relatively healthy brand of pluralism.

What we're talking about about is a difference in the way two philosophies perceive reality and the human person. It wasn't that long ago I was very taken by libertarianism. It wasn't until I had children that I realized libertarianism doesn't account for the inevitability of conflicts of will, and who should win out in that instance. We have the right to raise our children in a society and around people who don't have a tenuous grasp on reality, who aren't insane, who don't believe we're not our bodies or that homosexual relationships are exactly equal in value to heterosexual ones. That those are fundamentally different things. In a society that values children and their innocence. Where your "right to exist" is not apparently inextricably linked with a right to expose children to debauchery in the public schools. All that is clear to me. There are things that are clearly wrong, and things that are clearly good. And the good things are worthy of promotion by our government for the good of society, and the bad things ought to exist in our periphery only. We should work to marginalize the bad.

I'm not surprised that you won't answer the question about where you can derive moral rights and duties. But it's interesting your comments about Christians sinning. I think there's maybe a little cognitive dissonance where on the one hand you have this view of freedom that it's just the ability of people to pursue the things they personally like and enjoy. Like Christianity is only burdensome for people who aren't Christians themselves. But now this recognition that actually, Christianity requires that we subordinate our desires to something EXTERNAL to us. There's a humility required in the recognition by us that we're subject to a law we're not the source of. Our bodies aren't ours to mutilate. Our sex organs are not merely ours for our amusement. We don't have a right to Children, but children have the right to a parent of both sexes, and we have the obligation to educate them in the truth.

A tenet of Christianity is that we ought to hold each other accountable, and correct and admonish. I care about the things on your list (mostly). But we aren't even at a place right now where societal taboos exist at all anymore. The slightest admonishment is perceived as condemnation, hatred, and arrogance. It's so unhealthy.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

A tenet of Christianity is that we ought to hold each other accountable, and correct and admonish.
Feel free to do that with each other, within your congregation. Telling non-Christians what they can and can't do because of your religious teachings would be like any of us admonishing a Tech grad for not singing the War Hymn.
dermdoc
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

We do preach on, and focus on all the other stuff. This one issue just gets push back for some reason. You tell me why...

Good post. I had never thought about it that way.
dermdoc
AG
And I have never heard of a support adultery day. Or support drunkenness, greed, etc.

Or an Adultery Pride month.
kurt vonnegut
AG
AGC said:

I think I missed the part of Biden's statements where he condemned Christian family values. . . . There is a difference between coming out in support of an ideology and condemning those that disagree with that ideology.
Rongagin71
AG
I was at the local Goodwill Store yesterday and saw this thing called
a Flying Spaghetti God head mounted on a frisbee.
Thought it was too ugly, and too long until Halloween, to buy
even though the used goods store only asked a dollar for it.
On the other hand, I gladly paid $200 for a used Kings James Bible,
even though I'm not a practicing Christian...
I know that was an undervalue and unlike Hunter Biden's art
can be sold for a profit. Do not know anything about the value
of Trump's bibles, but expect he is more honest than any Biden.
TxAgPreacher
S
Beer Baron said:

Quote:

A tenet of Christianity is that we ought to hold each other accountable, and correct and admonish.
Feel free to do that with each other, within your congregation. Telling non-Christians what they can and can't do because of your religious teachings would be like any of us admonishing a Tech grad for not singing the War Hymn.

Why come to the religion board and be surprised about a discussion on what you should and shouldn't do?
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Here comes the outrage machine!

What you choose for your comparison says a lot about your attitude towards the group at the base of the comparison. So is the claim that transgender people are equal to rapists?
dermdoc
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

Beer Baron said:

Quote:

Why come to the religion board and be surprised about a discussion on what you should and shouldn't do?

Another good post.
Sapper Redux
dermdoc said:

And I have never heard of a support adultery day. Or support drunkenness, greed, etc.

Transgender people aren't harming others. Others, particularly conservative religious people, are harming them.
Sapper Redux
TxAgPreacher said:

kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

Do you? Remind me who you support for the presidency?
Bob Lee
AG
Sapper Redux said:

dermdoc said:

Transgender people aren't harming others. Others, particularly conservative religious people, are harming them.

Bull crap

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.