Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

RWB out for OSU Game [Original thread -Staff]

116,537 Views | 429 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bonfired
MarcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hope people participate, but if people don't want to then that is fine. That is the great thing about this country, you have freedoms to do what you want (to a degree at least)!
Old Style
I will be in the first deck wearing a blue shirt. I can't believe that just because someone went to A&M or OSU that they would not own a red or blue shirt. That is asanine. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Ags had mostly maroon shirts, but there's no way you can convince me that everything in their closet is maroon. Those who wish to wear something other than their "assigned" color has every right to do so, but to me is very closed minded. We have an opportunity to show the WORLD that we, as Americans as well as Aggies and Cowboys, will always support our country. It seems to me that the press always seems to focus on the negative about A&M (read: Bonfire) and this would be a great way to show our beloved school in a positive light. And most importantly, we can show our friends in NYC and DC that we are thinking of them and praying for them.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I actually DON'T own anything orange or have any orange in my house. I can understand an OSU person that might not own red. But if I were making a statement--I would gladly wear orange or red or whatever. It is about our unity as humans and Americans--and this weeks actions should show us all that America is more important than any superficial differences.

But also, I would never say someone was ignorant if they had different feelings about this.
Brent_Aggie
AG
Greetings from 12thfan.com!

I want to let you know that the idea has been VERY well received over on 12thfan and we're working on this wholeheartedly as well. To read up on our comments, see http://www.12thfan.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=006197

As far as promotion goes, I have contacted an anchor/reporter at KBTX-TV Channel 3 concerning this. He seemed interested in this development and a news story may very well come of it.

Keep it up Ags.

Those of you who seem to have developed this idea please contact KBTX about it. They are aware of it now and would probably like further information concerning what input you/we have received from key organizations, officials, and companies. I think your calling will give a lot of credibility and momentum to this grassroots movement.

I also thought you might enjoy an image Kyle that one of our members posted:

This is great, and everyone please work to make this happen.

Gig'Em
ag2003
AG
Brent_Aggie,
Thanks for doing that. We need people to post links of this on Websider, etc. I would but I just don't have the time right now. It's hectic. Also, send out our email and then tomorrow send out the official release. Thanks.
kcrow
I have sent the picture to my friend who works for the Waco trib in the sports department. I will see if I can get a write up in the Waco paper.
kcrow
I have sent the picture to my friend who works for the Waco trib in the sports department. I will see if I can get a write up in the Waco paper.
mason8
I really hope the corps does it too, it wouldn't be the same if the wore their normal uniforms.
Brent_Aggie
AG
I'm fine with the Corps wearing their regular uniforms. They are showing their patriotism each time they put them on.
surferag
Did anyone call the local news station in College Station and get this on the TV?
REDPOTS
JUST GOT MY AGGIE NEWSLETTER FROM WWW.AGGNEWS.COM AND IN BIG RED,WHITE,AND BLUE LETTERS IT IS TALKING ABOUT IT. THERE ARE ALSO SEVERAL POST ON WWW.THE12THFAN.COM ABOUT HEARING IT ON A COUPLE OF RADIO STATIONS.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
This was definitely cool.
PJYoung
AG
Joey1999
i got chills rereading this. gig 'em.
SullysSmuggledPeas
pure pride and patriotism.
BQ2001
AG
I remember going to this game. I got a ticket about 30 mins before the game. Had to leave work at the Chicken and went in a maroon shirt. I can see myself in the sea of white on the 50. Gives me chills everytime I see it...
DWF143
S
I have a silly question. Did everybody that wore red, white or blue shirts at the first RWB game lose or throw away those shirts. Why not wear that if you don't have anything else. That is what I'm going to do. Or bring it as a backup in case they run out or can't get new ones made. Just a thought.
LeanderAg
AG
I brought a sip friend to that game. He bought all three colors. He wore the appropriate one for our section in the zone (white) during the game. He never wore that shirt nor any other again, but he still cherishes them.
AggieWendy
Awesome idea!!!!

I've got one of the pics from the last RWB out as my background on my computer at home and at work....everyone who sees it is like "How cool!!!" (I've live in Tulsa btw....and I am totally sick of these OSU fans)!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUTTA OSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dough
Seems like a couple of you are misunderstanding....we're not doing RWB again...this was just a nod to the effort put forth a couple of years ago. RWB was a once in lifetime (I hope) event.

Section 423, The Zone.....Where vocal cords go to die!

BRING BACK THE LSU SERIES!!

mike073
AG
I think I'll wear my white shirt Saturday.

Gig 'em Aggies!

PJYoung
AG
Wow, some people really don't look at the dates.
stardustag
AG
we won that game, didn't we?

let's do it again! (winning the game, not RWB out)
halfastros81
AG
^
^
^
^
Red, White, and Blue Out is simply one more shining example that illustrates what a very special place that Texas A&M is. God Bless you Ags.

[This message has been edited by halfastros81 (edited 10/21/2003 12:59a).]
t - cam
AG
That was my favorite game day ever. Even better than UT 99 and OU02. Simply incredible. We could have lost and it still would have been tops.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I can't thank the organizers enough. That day was a lifetime memory. I still have it as my screensaver at school, and each year I have students with real awe in their voices say, "You were really there." Even those with long ties to othere schools.

Here is the Diary from that game. Seems like it belongs on this thread. Just scroll on down if it bothers you.

Gameday diary, OSU, Red/White/ and Blue Out

While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.

These beginning words to “God Bless America” have been seldom sung in the ages since World War II. We, as Americans, have had an overwhelming sense of security and have come to take our nation, our brotherhood, our freedoms, our safety, our prosperity, and our peace for granted. They have been a given in the lives of the young people in today’s classrooms. “The Greatest Generation” was and is leaving us, and some truly believed and hoped that such a heroic time would never again face our nation. Yet the events of the last two weeks – less than that actually, have forever changed each of us. In the face of these events, this diary is the most difficult I have ever attempted. I only write because in our nation’s darkest times, our youth is shining with dazzling brightness.

This Gameday started in the first shocked hours after the attacks, when across the land, feeling helpless and impotent, we searched for something, anything, that would let us help those who were so damaged and show the world and the evil ones behind the attacks, that we, the people, ARE this nation, not buildings but humans. And that they will never destroy US.

A handful of Texas A&M students, some long known and beloved on these forums, were searching for a way to show their love of America. The ideas were thrown out: “Let’s wear 'red, white, and blue' instead of maroon”, “Wouldn’t it be great if we could get everyone to do this?”, “Let’s have each deck with its own color”, “Why not sell special shirts?”, “We could give the money to the people in NY”. And from those first early words, came a unique Aggie...no, a unique American experience.

Then I followed the story—problems with getting approval—overcome. Problems with getting the seating plan out to everyone—overcome. Problems with getting enough shirts—OVERCOME as the MIDNIGHT CALL WENT OUT, and Aggies in Dallas and Houston answered the cry for help. Businesses put patriotism before profits, working to the point of exhaustion. Students spent all night printing shirts. I wanted to cry each time I read of a new problem, saw the never wavering determination to make this happen, and then read again of the problem being solved. I can never thank these young Ags enough for what they did.

At our household, Gameday Eve was spent searching through closets for every old royal blue shirt to take with us—just in case—while I checked the forums watching that valiant last night PUSH to have shirts on Saturday. Our family group decided to leave very early—with the dual goals of getting handicapped parking and red, white, and blue shirts.

So at 4 a.m. that alarm sounded, and I was up and started my usual gameday preparations. Yet somehow it felt like “going through the motions” which could sum up how my days and sleepless nights have been since September 11, 2001. There was light fog as we drove to my brother’s ranch to gather the group and leave for Aggieland. The sun was not yet up, and the morning seemed surreal and colorless. By the time we made it to Caldwell, the sun was up, and the city had the American Flags lining that main highway intersection, and their colors had never seemed more beautiful.

We got to campus, parked right in front of Rudder tower. There were small groups already on campus and we made a b-line to the masses lined up for shirts. At first we were noticing maroon and a few orange shirts, but always in groups headed toward the lines.

The lines were friendly, but hectic, and the students working were wonderful. By a few minutes before nine, the size selection was already gone, but we were so glad to get shirts that even my tiny sis-in-law was proud of her large shirt. And the shirts were still “warm” from just being made. I knew that great young ags were still working to meet the need.

Even Dad, for whom putting on t-shirts is really painful due to bad shoulders, donned his shirt immediately. He has really been in a slump since the attacks..I think his generation understands in a way none of the rest of us can how this act of war might really change the America that we know and the futures that the young men and women of our nation have planned. But with the shirt, a new bounce came into his walk and a spark into his eyes.

And as we were re-dressing, a pickup pulled right across from us. It was manned by Corps of Cadets students already in March-In bravos, but bringing box loads of the shirts they would only be wearing after the game. They split up the boxes and made trips to both the fountain area and the G. Rollie lines. I don’t know if other loads arrived later, but at 9 a.m. the shirts were still rolling off the presses.

I left the others and headed to the Quad. I needed to see those huge American flags on the buildings...never again will I take them for granted. Although already pretty crowded due in part to the 125th Reunion, I was struck by the quietness of the crowd. Everyone was subdued. But in the near silence, I heard and saw something wonderful. Almost everyone was making eye contact...acknowledging the link with that total stranger walking by...and I exchanged more howdys than in years — and not just with the old ags, but with the youngsters also. And while there were many smiles, the eyes in those same faces had a “look” that I can only feebly attempt to explain. The eyes told of concern and determination. No words had to be said. We were all hurting, we were all shocked, we were all frightened, yet we were all making a statement just by being there, going on even if a piece of our hearts would be forever missing.

In front of the Sanders center, I saw many old Ags finding the bricks representing their donations, some posing for pictures with or on their bricks or those of lost relatives and friends. A quick stop inside, and I got a brochure about the program. The cost is $250 and for $50 more you get a replica for your home. The certificate sample that they displayed tugged at my heart. It was for JJ Sanchez class of '93. You see I had taught JJ’s younger brother in Laredo. While I never met JJ, I had heard the younger one speak of him so often I felt like I knew him. And I had followed the story when he died in an accident. It really hit home about how large--and small--our Aggie family is. One note...they only do bricks twice a year, and orders now for Christmas will get a certificate and the bricks will be placed in the spring.

I made a quick circle of the museum, really wanting to be with my dad for the March Over, and returned to the car to wait for step off. By the time I am back at Joe Routt, I saw a street lined on both sides and filled in the middle with RED WHITE AND BLUE AMERICANS, standing more quietly, but so proudly united. A vendor was selling small American flags and I quickly bought a couple. I was practicing my flag waving...coordination is not my strength (my 12th Man towel always gets twisted up in a knot)...when my brother heard that unmistakable drum cadence. The Reunion Band was on its way. At 9:30 this groups of former bandsmen were retracing the steps of their youth. They, too...dressed in maroon shirts...filled both sides of the street. Some of these gentlemen were from the era of old army while others were recent grads. But they were wonderful. One sax player was only playing every now and then, but had the first true, all the way to the heart, smile I had seen all day. And behind the band came the “old Ags” and their ladies. Here again was that look that we all seem to have, but also great joy in the sorrow to be “home” at this time of hurting...and almost all were in the great colors of this great land.

A red clad young man came over from across the street and was asking if the Corps “still stepped of and when it would happen” and I was glad to be able to tell him to listen for the cannon and that they would still be coming past. Then the cannon sounded and “whoop” echoed around the campus -— but a subdued version. Now the songs of the Fightin' Aggie Band have again the full patriotic fervor of their roots. The faces of the entire band and corps are somehow different and I can’t tell if the change is in them or in me. But in addition to the pride always there, there really is an anger and determination. I found myself watching more closely for the contract pins on the covers...and saying a little prayer for those we know will serve this nation.

As part of the 125th Celebration each cadet also wore an AMC brass to honor those before, and the final unit was dressed all in the historic uniforms of the history of our school. They were almost past before I realized for sure what they represented.

While the 125th Celebration is important...and two weeks ago would have been the focus of this day...the attacks on our homeland made them important, but not the primary importance.

Side notes as I stopped to quickly visit the Revs and let them know that their newest sister is doing a great job, I saw many Cowboy fans putting blue shirts over their orange. I stopped and told many of them I was so glad they were joining us. Janice Kerlee had a booth just outside the gates, and I was able to get to Mr. Kerlee to give him a hug and say that the families of the 12 had been so much in my heart since I know that the pain of the last two weeks has to have brought back so many painful memories for them.

Then I encountered four cowboy cheerleaders asking where to go get the shirts. I am not sure that they really left the stadium once they found out they were not on sale inside the gates, but I do know they were asking.

Just as I got to the top of the ramp, there was an “incident” with the Cavalry. Apparently the OSU kicker was out for practice and did not stop for the two minutes or so it would have taken for the Cavalry to pass. He kicked the ball right into the group, causing at least two of the horses to collide. The March in was delayed several minutes to remount very skittish horses. Luckily there (at least on the surface) appeared to be no real damage, but this could have been quite serious. Finally things continued, but as the Cav went by, several of the riders were still patting and talking to their horses to keep them calm. Not a good event.

But even now, those first specks of red, white, and blue were dotting the student side and the zone. My first words were “It’s working, Kourt and her friends will be so proud.” As March In continued, the stands filled in, becoming more solidly filled with each minute. Even 80 to 90 percent of the OSU fans had joined us, setting aside school colors for the greater colors of our nation. If the blue shirts had not sold out, even that small fragment might have joined in. In our area, almost everyone was in blue, with many wearing blue shirts from home, but most in the “official” shirt.

I looked at Kyle as it filled. This old first deck has seen so much history. If Kyle could speak-----what glorious stories of our history it would tell. And today that old stadium saw history...82,000 Aggies and Cowboys setting aside school colors so beloved for the symbol of our nation, even more beloved. American flags were draped over the sides of the second and third decks. The message was loud and clear: Standing For America, Aggieland, USA. We as Aggies bleed maroon, but our hearts are Red, White, and Blue.

For me there were so many touching moments. Jay Brooks, whose mom had a close call in the Pentagon attack, was so “up” in the pregame that he was skipping and running every minute. As we did the War Hymn many of the players were just looking up as they left for final instructions, trying to take all this in, and I can only imagine how wonderful those stands had to look from ground level, a swaying sea of our nation’s colors.

So many times I have sung the National Anthem, but never have the words really hit my soul like today. Seeing the colors raise and then lower brought back sad memories of November '99, but knowing that this was no accident, but a deliberate attack on our soil and on our people, made me really feel the words. I could understand Francis Scott Key worrying about that emblem of our land and if it still stood. I could understand why it was so vital to raise that flag at Iwo Jima. I saw for the first time the real meaning of that flag...a symbol of the American People. And as I sang “Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there. O say, does that Star-Spangled Banner yet wave o’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?", I realized that the wetness on my face came from heartfelt tears. I saw more than a few others wiping away that same wetness.

When the team ran on the field for the game...led by a coaching staff in national colors, never before and never again to be seen...and as they joined in the Spirit, my tears returned-—now more tears of pride. This young generation is able to do the job, whatever it will be. Perhaps that uncertainty is the great unspoken fear—his time the enemy is harder to define, but the threat is even greater. What a fantastic sea of red white and blue, now standing as AMERICA’S 12th MAN!

The game was televised and I am not a sportswriter, but for once playing the game was more important than winning the game. Just the fact that the stands FILLED, that the students over flowed to the bleachers, that we DARED to gather and wear our NATIONAL COLORS, that was the victory that Cowboy and Aggie alike shared. The goal of terrorists is to force us to let fear rule our lives. At 80,000 plus strong, we showed what an awakened giant looks like.

The game itself had some moments to remember. Jay, big play, Brooks stops an attempt at a fake punt with a smashing hit. In fact the level of hitting showed that the Wrecking Crew may not be fully back, but is surely on the rapid path to recovery. And Ty and Rocky showed a talent and fire that was impressive. And the final score was ours.

Halftime had some moments that two weeks ago people could not have dreamed.

This was the week the Band received the trophy from the Sousa society. For that award, greats from the past were present. In the group were current Band directors, and from our past, Col. Haney and the widow of Col. Adams. And recognized as part of the 125th Anniversary was Mr. Dabney (?) from the class of 1922 who WALKED out of the field at 100 plus years. Also recognized were representatives of Aggies who fought in the nation's wars of this past century...Mr. Dabney representing WWI, the others for WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, and Desert Storm. At march in they mentioned that three Aggies were known to already have been recalled from the Corps to serve in Reserve or National Guard units. I know that we lost at least three Ags in the terrorist attacks. So honoring the Aggies, like my dad, who served in our wars was a fitting and proper part of this patriotic time. As I looked at the sea of colors in the 12th Man sections, I said a silent prayer that they will all be kept safe in the stormy times ahead.

The Band then asked the crowd to join in God Bless America as they made a giant USA and stood still for its playing. Once again tears came as I joined my fellow Americans in that wonderful song that gave strength through our last great trial, still here to comfort in this one. Then the band left the field, running off not from the T. I don’t know if the band has ever not made the Block T...at least I have never seen this...but today they joined all of us in declaring that we are AMERICANS--and God Bless America.

The recognition of the five students who began this was certainly earned. I know that these young adults have repeatedly said it is a MUCH larger group that made it happen—-true. But these five had the courage to see what could be and the determination to make it happen. The wonderful news was the estimate that 150,000 dollars had been raised for disaster relief. I know that if they manage to make any more shirts, I will buy them. I did manage to get two more white ones after the game...and those final shirts were selling like hotcakes.

And somehow by getting this chance to share in this patriotic statement, I had a little healing. I was reminded of a song from my youth, from an age before political correctness...but now I am “Too OLD to march in the infantry.” Wars are won or lost on the home front—we must be a nation willing to pay the price of victory—and what I saw in Aggieland was reassuring. Plus it gave us all a chance to fight back. Each time we go out in our usual routine, we fight back, each time we give blood or money for the injured and lost, we fight back, each time we fly old glory, we fight back. I do fear that our nation faces perhaps its biggest test, but God Bless the youth of this land...they will fight this war not of our choosing, and win this war there is no room for losing.

I saw my son and one of his buddies for a few minutes after the game. The buddy said his father had a close call...he was one block away on the way to the Pentagon for a meeting when the plane hit. I gave my son one of the white shirts I got after the game since he had not been able to get one.

On the ride home, we heard that the flags nationwide would be returning to full staff and found that Temple had put American flags in the yards of every home on our street and most streets—throughout this land we are subdued, sad, and determined. Our patriotism may have been dormant during the decades of plenty, but we are rising to this challenge, like the great generations before us.

Thanks again to the organizers and to all who worked on this project, whether they spread e-mails, drove trucks, sold shirts, carried boxes, or just showed up in the stands wearing the right color. In some small way this project gave us all a chance to "do something" and "say something."

God bless America, We’ve Never Been Licked, and Maroon Out for Notre Dame.

Beat the Hell Outta fear and Beat the Hell Outta Notre Dame.

"God Bless America Again!
You must know the trouble that she's in?
Wash her pretty face, dry her eyes and then...
God Bless America Again!"

4th and Inches
AG
THe pics to seal the deal.

chrisocker
AG
Those pictures are awesome. I never knew it was all conceived, planned, and executed in 10 days. That's simply incredible. GREAT BULL.

[This message has been edited by chrisocker (edited 5/30/2006 2:12p).]
chick79
AG
quote:
I never knew it was all conceived, planned, and exicuted in 10 days

Yup, only Aggies could get this done in such a short period of time!
Hap
AG
Yep, you kids who organized that are to be highly commended. And high marks to all of the Aggie fans who willingly participated that day.

Even the OSU fans in attendance deserve props for participating, as well. The fans of some universities may not have been as cooperative.

I never tire of looking at those picures. What a great tribute to the 9/11 victims and our great country.
NetBoy
AG
yeah, but I spilled bleach on my shirt just this weekend...anyone have a red one I can get. I'm pretty pissed about it.
Longtime Lurker
AG
What's the over/under on number of posts before someone suggests we try to recreate RWB Out?
Old Style
And to think that it all started here on TexAgs.
Duck Blind
AG
What a special day. Only in Aggieland...
regurkmatt
very cool one time deal, but i wouldn't be overly offended if we did it again if a game ever falls on 9-11 again....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.