2023 Transfer Portal News Thread

75,830 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Know Your Enemy
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
You ask and you shall receive.
MarcAg
AG
Trey Tennyson of A&M CC should be a guy we go after. Exactly what we need, scoring guard who can shoot.
jja79
AG
Great name, lame game. Couldn't figure out you just throw it to Tubelis.

LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg
AG
LawHall88 said:

HARD PASS!!! If we are bringing in guys scoring single digits they better be from some school like Kansas that is loaded with talent. Plus this dude can't shoot. We have plenty of guys who can't shoot and can't score.
Method Man
Not a fan
jja79
AG
Well Marc we're looking for our kind of players.
MarcAg
AG
jja79 said:

I actually don't even think he is an OKG. Watching highlights and he is talking S to the crowd or bench after every score or dancing after a made bucket. He can dunk though. But man he can't shoot. 19- 82 from three.
TxAg76
AG
MarcAg said:

jja79 said:

I actually don't even think he is an OKG. Watching highlights and he is talking S to the crowd or bench after every score or dancing after a made bucket. He can dunk though. But man he can't shoot. 19- 82 from three.

The world needs masons.
But we've got plenty already
Method Man
My prediction is we will get two guys we didn't hear much about until right before they commit.
MarcAg
AG
Method Man said:

My prediction is we will get two guys we didn't hear much about until right before they commit.

Hopefully it's more than 2 c
taylorswift13
AG
Method Man said:

and almost every transfer will reportedly be hearing from Texas A&M
Method Man
We could lose five and I wouldn't blink but you know…
GigEmMortis
AG
MarcAg said:

jja79 said:

19- 82 from three.
Seems like he'd fit right in
Fairview20
AG
Demarcus Sharp of NW St committed to Austin Peay last night.

Averaged 20 5 and 5 this year, and when he entered the portal it was reported he was contacted by a lot of SEC and P6 schools. Interesting he committed to another mid major so soon.
MarcAg
AG
Fairview20 said:

Demarcus Sharp of NW St committed to Austin Peay last night.

Averaged 20 5 and 5 this year, and when he entered the portal it was reported he was contacted by a lot of SEC and P6 schools. Interesting he committed to another mid major so soon.
He followed his head coach
McInnis 03
AG
Am I crazy for wanting Jackson Paveletzke from Wofford?

Hop
Staff
AG
With the new restrictions on transfer waivers, teams better be very confident a freshman transfer will work out or they will be stuck with a dead spot in the payee for three years. That's why getting junior or senior transfers is less risky.
MarcAg
AG
Hop said:

With the new restrictions on transfer waivers, teams better be very confident a freshman transfer will work out or they will be stuck with a dead spot in the payee for three years. That's why getting junior or senior transfers is less risky.
I don't think anybody is getting "stuck" with anybody they don't want.
AggieCrew44
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Am I crazy for wanting Jackson Paveletzke from Wofford?

No. No you are not
rlb28
AG
Would Buzz entertain signing a Tarleton State transfer?

6'6 sophomore G/F Freddy Hicks went into the portal today. Total stud from Searcy, Arkansas.

Averaged 16.2 ppg and 6 rebounds.

In a CBI tournament loss...
Quote:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. Freddy Hicks has played with virtually one hand for months, and he's still been one of the best players on the court night in and night out. On Sunday in Tarleton's game at the College Basketball Invitational, he couldn't be stopped and nearly powered the Texans to victory before the purple and white fell in overtime to Radford 72-70.

Hicks powered the Texans with his first double-double of the season and second 30-point game, recording 30 points (2-2 3PT, 14-16 FT), 11 rebounds and four steals, playing all 45 minutes. His 30 points tied a career-high (against Drake in the Paradise Jam on Nov. 21 this season), his 11 rebounds were a season-high and his most since 11 at UTRGV on March 5, 2021, and his four steals tied a career-high (at Seattle U on Jan. 19 this season).

"Freddy was fantastic, as good as a player could be today," Gillispie said. "What a season he has had. A broken foot to start the summer that cost him a few games at the start of the season and he didn't quit. He broke his hand in the middle of the season and he never let his head get down. He came back extremely strong, culminated by a championship performance. I've never seen anyone like him in my life. I applaud his toughness, determination, disposition and competitive spirit amongst many other things. What a player and what a great young man."

Hop
Staff
AG
MarcAg said:

Hop said:

First, we have to assume the NCAA will actually enforce the rule. If they do, coaches are going to get a lot more blow back on the practice of culling players

They previously didn't get blow back because the players want to leave and go to where they can get playing time is so they've never complained about being pushed out the door.

But now, if they get pushed out AND they have to sit a year, there will be a lot of players, mentors, and high school coaches who won't be happy if a college coach is notorious for screwing over kids that now have to sit.

Maybe you are right and it won't affect the top coaches, but re calculus has changed if you go back to forcing kids to sit out a year and you still have college coaches treating their roster like you play a game of poker, there could be consequences if a coach gets a bad reputation of screwing over kids.
MarcAg
AG
Hop said:

MarcAg said:

Hop said:

First, we have to assume the NCAA will actually enforce the rule. If they do, coaches are going to get a lot more blow back on the practice of culling players

They previously didn't get blow back because the players want to leave and go to where they can get playing time is so they've never complained about being pushed out the door.

But now, if they get pushed out AND they have to sit a year, there will be a lot of players, mentors, and high school coaches who won't be happy if a college coach is notorious for screwing over kids that now have to sit.

Maybe you are right and it won't affect the top coaches, but re calculus has changed if you go back to forcing kids to sit out a year and you still have college coaches treating their roster like you play a game of poker, there could be consequences if a coach gets a bad reputation of screwing over kids.
This free transfer is like 2 years old. Players have been getting pushed out long before that existed when they had to sit out a year. And also players willingly transferred knowing they would have to sit out all the time for years and years. So I don't really see much changing. Now at least they get one time where they don't have to sit out. But players will still get pushed out and have to sit out and players will still decide to transfer even if they have to sit out. It's obviously not going to be as much as the free transfers, but it's probably going to happen about the same as it did for the 20 years prior to the free transfer.
Hop
Staff
AG
MarcAg said:

Hop said:

MarcAg said:

Hop said:

This free transfer is like 2 years old. Players have been getting pushed out long before that existed when they had to sit out a year. And also players willingly transferred knowing they would have to sit out all the time for years and years. So I don't really see much changing. Now at least they get one time where they don't have to sit out. But players will still get pushed out and have to sit out and players will still decide to transfer even if they have to sit out. It's obviously not going to be as much as the free transfers, but it's probably going to happen about the same as it did for the 20 years prior to the free transfer.

I don't have any statistical data, just my observation. But over the last two years the turnover in rosters has exploded to where most programs see 6-7 players leave and they bring in 6-7 players. It seems those numbers were much lower prior to the new rules…more like a turnover of 1-2 players that transfer in and transfer out.

I think if these new rules are enforced, those transfer numbers will go back down to 2-3 a year levels. Again, it will force coaches and players to look more seriously at a transfer because there are now negative consequences if a transfer isn't a good fit.

Over the last two years, the process of transferring was so easy and convenient. I think both players and coaches were less worried about fit and transferring became more transactional in nation…"hey, if it doesn't work out, we'll go out separate ways at the end of the season."

But on paper, the new rule makes that more casual transaction more difficult to execute.
phatty26
Method Man said:

They probably are from Arkansas and never play we don't want a kid who can shoot we want brick layers who look great athletically but do anything else.
BurnetAggie99
Jaykwon Walton

https://amp.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article273248950.html
BurnetAggie99
Jameer Nelson Jr. - Delaware - Season averages: 20.6 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3.6 assists

https://bluehens.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/jameer-nelson-jr-/26575
LawHall88
AG
Know Your Enemy
AG
Hop said:

What did I miss?
Hop
Staff
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Hop said:

What did I miss?

Last week the NCAA announced they were significantly tightening the waiver process on a second transfer. Before now, you could sneeze and get a waiver. They laid out the only reasons they will now allow for a waiver…something about mental health. They took out everything else that had been used to claim a waiver. So they say they will now enforce the rules, and everybody gets one.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Thanks for the info but if "mental health" is their exception then I assume it will still be pretty easy to get a waiver approved.
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg
AG
LawHall88 said:

We aren't bringing him here
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg said:

LawHall88 said:

We aren't bringing him here
Oh I know, just thought it was interesting. Guess Kentucky has a recruit coming in who will push Wheeler to the bench if he stays.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.