2023 Transfer Portal News Thread

76,216 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Know Your Enemy
TXAGBQ76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You do realize you can write a check and direct it to the sport you want it to go to?
MarcAg
AG
bobinator
AG
Thoughts on Cisse?
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

Thoughts on Cisse?

Numbers look great, but I would be lying if I said I watched any UIW
MarcAg
AG
MarcAg said:

bobinator said:

Thoughts on Cisse?

Numbers look great, but I would be lying if I said I watched any UIW

Ok I see Okie St's Cisse in the portal. Had not seen that. Probably who you meant
jja79
AG
Doesn't seem to be working.
FTAG 2000
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

You do realize you can write a check and direct it to the sport you want it to go to?

Yes. I realize that.

I also know that our athletic department push around NIL sucks if it's not football. We have multiple coaches in multiple sports unhappy with the athletic department work in that area that have been begging for more for two years now.

But it's the same AD who spends significant coin every year on promoting football when everyone in the state knows when our games are, but can't bother to trot out much more than sandwich boards on campus for any other sport.

Men's hoops has multiple recent examples now. We have nearly double the resources ($) available to our AD as Arkansas but we have lost every head to head with them in the last 18 months.
Method Man
Our big donors don't value it. For some reason they liked Kennedy. Also, Buzz has said in interviews he "doesn't want to owe anyone anything", but you can't pull it off in college b-ball too much.
Topher17
AG
This feels like an odd player to hit the portal. He played a lot and I'm sure they'd want him back, right? Maybe trying to shop himself one last time?
TXAGBQ76
AG
I hear what you are saying.
- football is the cash cow and pays for almost every other sport
- I struggle with the nobody knows when non-football games are scheduled mantra. In fairness, I was in the Band and we played at the men's game, but the students who actually about other sports seemed to be aware of the sports they had interest. This was in early to mid-70's, so basically all we had was the Batt and maybe a paper schedule we pinned to our bulletin board. Today you still have the Batt, you have the Athletic Department website, the 12th Man app, the 12th Man website, etc. so in my opinion there is a lot more information available than a sandwich board- but that is just my opinion.
sincereag
Topher17 said:

This feels like an odd player to hit the portal. He played a lot and I'm sure they'd want him back, right? Maybe trying to shop himself one last time?

Not sure who you're referring to but Tramon Mark started every game this past year at UH and played for a great coach there. Not sure why he would want to transfer unless he's looking for a good NIL deal.
Topher17
AG
Referring to Mitchell from Arkansas
hogfan14
Topher17 said:

Referring to Mitchell from Arkansas

He had 3-4 good games during the season but otherwise didn't play a lot, his twin brother Makhi started most games. Good shot blocker but doesn't bring enough else.
Topher17
AG
Ahh I got the twins mixed up. Also just realized that tweet has 21-22 stats, not 22-23, which is misleading.
FTAG 2000
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

I hear what you are saying.
- football is the cash cow and pays for almost every other sport
- I struggle with the nobody knows when non-football games are scheduled mantra. In fairness, I was in the Band and we played at the men's game, but the students who actually about other sports seemed to be aware of the sports they had interest. This was in early to mid-70's, so basically all we had was the Batt and maybe a paper schedule we pinned to our bulletin board. Today you still have the Batt, you have the Athletic Department website, the 12th Man app, the 12th Man website, etc. so in my opinion there is a lot more information available than a sandwich board- but that is just my opinion.

You're preaching to the choir here, but the point remains it's an institutional, cultural problem at the A.D.

And setting aside the marketing issues, you have coaches in hoops (men and women), baseball, softball, volleyball, and soccer who are all frustrated with the NIL singular focus on football for our athletic program.

Lots of other schools in the SEC have caught up to us in football and also realize there are other sports and dollars out there for the other sports.

Our AD seems to be reacting to this past recruiting class in football and thinking they need to focus more there, unwilling to recognize the on field product was the problem, and thinking the NIL machine just needs to put together a better package.
LawHall88
AG
rlb28
AG
rlb28 said:

Would Buzz entertain signing a Tarleton State transfer?

6'6 sophomore G/F Freddy Hicks went into the portal today. Total stud from Searcy, Arkansas.

Averaged 16.2 ppg and 6 rebounds.

Top 5: Arkansas, Cal, Colorado State, SMU, Arkansas State
miller0926
AG
El Mero Mero 14
miller0926 said:

Would not have guessed he'd get this much interest
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

miller0926
AG
superaggie73
AG
miller0926 said:

Isn't he the guy who beat the crap out of a girl and should be in jail, but his scholarship at tu kept him out?
Topher17
AG
Wonder how much Beard is offering
LawHall88
AG
miller0926 said:

FTAG 2000
AG
superaggie73 said:

miller0926 said:

Isn't he the guy who beat the crap out of a girl and should be in jail, but his scholarship at tu kept him out?

Gonna follow Beard. We'll be playing against him
Topher17
AG

I'm not sure how well he defends, but this kid seems like he would be a great addition for us. 6-7, great rebounder and can score.
Method Man
Love him which means he won't come here.
LawHall88
AG
Topher17
AG
Texas and Arkansas, cool.
I'll go ahead and accept he won't be an Ag and hope to be surprised.
GrayMatter
AG
Transfer portal closes in about a month.

We'll probably start hearing quite a bit of news soon.
MarcAg
AG
GrayMatter said:

Last year all of our signees happened in May I believe.

FYI once the window closes we can still sign players, players just canter enter the portal while closed.
GrayMatter
AG
MarcAg said:

GrayMatter said:

Last year all of our signees happened in May I believe.

FYI once the window closes we can still sign players, players just canter enter the portal while closed.
Yep that's right, but I was also talking about players leaving our program too.
Know Your Enemy
AG
rlb28
AG
Temple guard Khalif Battle (6'5, 180) to Arkansas. Averaged 17.9 ppg last year. Averaged 21.4 ppg two years ago in 7 games. Ranked #99 nationally when he came out of HS. Started career at Butler.

LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

I assume this guy will be highly sought and with UNC retooling its roster, his decision may already be made, but he would be a great get.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.