2023 Transfer Portal News Thread

76,221 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Know Your Enemy
txags11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wouldn't mind us making a play for Tre White..He's leaving USCw. He's a big guard out of Dallas. Played 27 MPG and shot 48% from the field, though his 3 wasn't great at 26% (13-49). Was a decent rebounder too with 5 a game
LawHall88
AG
HotardRat
AG
Zero chance SDSU would give him much play time
jja79
AG
Would any of them?
HotardRat
AG
Cal Baptist and Western Michigan? Sure, why not. No idea.
jja79
AG
I'm addicted to ESPN+ college basketball and baseball so I've watched a few Cal Baptist games. They played 3 guards 6'6", 6'7" and 6'9" plus they have a 7 footer that transferred from Georgetown who actually plays and contributes.

Personally I think Brown more a DII type player - UTPB, UT Tyler, TAMU International or some such.
AggieCrew44
AG
jja79 said:

I'm addicted to ESPN+ college basketball and baseball so I've watched a few Cal Baptist games. They played 3 guards 6'6", 6'7" and 6'9" plus they have a 7 footer that transferred from Georgetown who actually plays and contributes.

Personally I think Brown more a DII type player - UTPB, UT Tyler, TAMU International or some such.
He is a lot better than a D2 player. He's gonna be serviceable for some smaller D1 school, he just wasn't gonna play here with how Buzz like to play defense. Bigs have to guard the perimeter
jja79
AG
We'll see. He's pretty limited.
Method Man
He's five fouls on a low major team.
AggieCrew44
AG
Method Man said:

He's five fouls on a low major team.
He wouldn't be getting recruited by a final 4 team if that were the case
Method Man
He got recruited by the champion. They'll learn.
AggieCrew44
AG
As a 17 year old but ok

We act like kids don't improve
HotardRat
AG
His minutes have gone down year over year.

Hardly improvement.
AggieCrew44
AG
Maybe because we had 3 newcomers that were better? Doesn't mean he hasn't improved

He will be fine in a more traditional defensive system that allows him to just sag and protect the rim. Buzz doesn't run that
HotardRat
AG
Honestly I find your opinion on him quite shocking. I thought it was a widely accepted reality that he's quite bad. Personally, I don't think I've seen a worse big man here since Keith Davis.
AggieCrew44
AG
Jonathon Aku was lightyears worse than Brown and he contributed at the D1 level last year

I don't think he's some difference maker or anything but the style we played doesn't play to his strengths, like at all. He's gonna be a serviceable big at the lower D1 level. Saying he's a D2 player is just laughable honestly
Method Man
Aku averaged 4 ppg in the Swac. I agree he's the worst post in Aggie history but that's not a contributor of note.
MarcAg
AG
Method Man said:

I agree he's the worst post in Aggie history

Is Nolan Butterfras in the conversation ?
zooguy96
Andy Slocum says hi.
AggieCrew44
AG
Method Man said:

Aku averaged 4 ppg in the Swac. I agree he's the worst post in Aggie history but that's not a contributor of note.
And Brown is better, which was my point. He's gonna find a lower D1 school to play at that will give him minutes. Whether he ends up being a big-time contributor there remains to be seen though

This whole argument was more for the whole D2 level thing, which I think is just ridiculous. I went to a high level D2 game last year and he would dominate that level with his size
MarcAg
AG
zooguy96 said:

Andy Slocum says hi.

Andy Slocum is in the 5 best rebounders this school has seen in last 25 years. He does not belong in the discussion.
zooguy96
MarcAg said:

zooguy96 said:

Andy Slocum says hi.

Andy Slocum is in the 5 best rebounders this school has seen in last 25 years. He does not belong in the discussion.

Sarcasm, dude.
Topher17
AG
MarcAg said:

Method Man said:

I agree he's the worst post in Aggie history

Is Nolan Butterfras in the conversation ?

Andrew Young has entered the chat
Method Man
Both are way better than Aku. The dude is as awful. Cmon.
Method Man
Guess we shall see. No way of knowing. I suspect he goes to a crap school and averages six a game or so tops.
Wicked Good Ag
In a one on one game between Brown and Aku. Aku wins that game nine out ten times.

MarcAg
AG
That's because in a one on one game Aku doesn't have to catch a pass from anyone
phorizt
man looking at Aku's career he averaged 3.9 min per game playing for SFA before transferring to Grambling and he started over half of our games his soph year. Kind of amazing a program like A&M in the transfer portal era was starting guys who can't even crack the rotation somewhere like SFA.

I remember his first preseason camp when Buzz said Aku was as advanced at that stage as any big man he had coached and thought he could turn into a beast for us. Same interview Buzz said he wasn't sure if Nebo was going to be able to contribute for us that year. Must have been some sort of weird reverse psychology vudu Buzz was trying to do at the time.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Yeah that interview never happened.
HotardRat
AG
I, for one, love what this thread has become.
MarcAg
AG
phorizt said:

I remember his first preseason camp when Buzz said Aku was as advanced at that stage as any big man he had coached and thought he could turn into a beast for us. Same interview Buzz said he wasn't sure if Nebo was going to be able to contribute for us that year. Must have been some sort of weird reverse psychology vudu Buzz was trying to do at the time.
Here is what happened. Buzz said Aku was a really hard worker and really respected by his teammates as a freshman and and he hadnt seen that respect and work ethic since Joe Jones. Hop then posted that Buzz said he hadn't seen a big as talented as Aku since Joe Jones. Hop misunderstood what Buzz said. Cause we argued about it and I said you are setting very unreasonable expectations for Aku as Buzz never said anything about how great Aku was, just that he was a hard worker.
MarcAg
AG
@coopercuffe
He was interested in Aggies out of HS. Back up the NIL brinks truck.
Redfishag93
If my memory is correct Buzz referred to Aku as "manna from heaven".
I'm afraid the Israelites would have gone hungry that day operating on Aku manna.
Know Your Enemy
AG
@coopercuffe said:

He was interested in Aggies out of HS. Back up the NIL brinks truck.

LOL. We don't have one of those west of Kyle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.