2023 Transfer Portal News Thread

76,255 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Know Your Enemy
MarcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
@coopercuffe said:

He was interested in Aggies out of HS. Back up the NIL brinks truck.

Feels like a Longhorn to me. I dont have any inside info, just gut
Topher17
AG
Gut says Arkansas or Texas.
bg92
AG
Until we have a legit basketball NIL program, we won't get the big name guys. Not saying that is right or wrong, just the way it is.

As noted earlier in the thread, UH has a $1,000,000/yr NIL deal for the basketball fan from just one NIL sponsor.
Topher17
AG
Unless someone that frequents this board regularly wins the lottery, that just isn't likely to happen for us in my opinion.
rlb28
AG
Kario Oquendo to Oregon...
rlb28
AG
kingjaret92
Would love to have him though. Best player I have ever seen up close and personal as a coach.
MarcAg
AG
kingjaret92 said:

Would love to have him though. Best player I have ever seen up close and personal as a coach.
Yes I think he is exactly what we need. Long athletic big. He is still a little raw, but would be a great addition.
Hop
Staff
AG
MarcAg said:

phorizt said:

I remember his first preseason camp when Buzz said Aku was as advanced at that stage as any big man he had coached and thought he could turn into a beast for us. Same interview Buzz said he wasn't sure if Nebo was going to be able to contribute for us that year. Must have been some sort of weird reverse psychology vudu Buzz was trying to do at the time.
Here is what happened. Buzz said Aku was a really hard worker and really respected by his teammates as a freshman and and he hadnt seen that respect and work ethic since Joe Jones. Hop then posted that Buzz said he hadn't seen a big as talented as Aku since Joe Jones. Hop misunderstood what Buzz said. Cause we argued about it and I said you are setting very unreasonable expectations for Aku as Buzz never said anything about how great Aku was, just that he was a hard worker.

Not this crap again…as if I alone took his words completely out of context and misguided Aggie fans about Aku.

Go to any article written after that presser. Here's one…

FABULOUS FRESHMAN

Williams is excited about freshman Jonathan Aku. The 6-foot-10 Aku was born and raised in Nigeria before coming to the United States in 2017. Because he was enrolled in school late, he wasn't able to take part in any summer activities with the team. Despite that, he's already given Williams reason to believe he could be a big part of this year's team.

"He could turn into a monster," Williams said. "I don't know what level of monster, but he's going to play a lot…"

That statement was not just a "he's an effort guy and a good kid who listens to what we say". He is implying "we think this kid has a lot of potential to help us this season…to what level we don't know yet."

That was an AP article.

I just pulled the transcript from Buzz's Texags interview w Gabe Bock in February 2020 after the Tennessee game. He was still hyping up Aku's play on the court…

" I thought Jonathan Aku was tremendous at Tennessee 7 offensive rebounds. I think Aku played 14 or 15 minutes. In neither game was Nebo good. He carries a lot of the burden for us offensively. In defense of him, I don't know if he has ever had to be 'the guy.' That's hard to do over a long period of time and in two road games in-a-row. He was not good, just like everybody else was not good on Saturday.

I think Aku and Emanuel Miller have come a long way. We've been so reliant on Emanuel and Andre Gordan from the start. It's okay that they're getting beat up and playing a lot of minutes right now. Two or three years from now, this experience is going to allow them to be a lot better.

Nebo is whipping Aku every day. When you're playing Josh Nebo every day, you have no choice but to improve. He played consecutive minutes this weekend, and I couldn't take him out because he was getting rebounds on every other possession. The team was so excited for Jonathan. For his career, this was a really good week."

So don't try to come here three years later with the "Hop completely took Buzz's comments out of context and made him sound like the next Joe Jones" as if the staff merely discussed his good work ethic for months.

Buzz and the staff hyped his potential on the court many, many times.
Method Man
Honestly Buzz should've been on the hot seat after those comments.
EliteZags
AG
@coopercuffe said:

He was interested in Aggies out of HS. Back up the NIL brinks truck.

Robert Williams IV?
LawHall88
AG

He previously posted some video from practices:
AggieCrew44
AG
Good for him. They are a decent mid-major
miller0926
AG
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

txags11
AG

Glad to see we're interested.
rlb28
AG
GrayMatter
AG
6'6" with a 7'-1" wingspan.

Aren't those close to Dex's measurements?
rlb28
AG
rlb28 said:

Arizona State freshman PG Austin Nunez hit the portal. Nationally ranked #102 coming out of San Antonio Wagner. Appeared in 28 games this year.

His dad Lupe Nunez is very connected in AAU circles. Wouldn't surprise me if Austin came back to play in the state.of Texas.
Quote:

Dec. 21, 2020
Last fall, Austin Nunez checked in at just 5-foot-10 and was your average small-ball sharpshooter. Fast forward to now, the four-star incoming junior stands at 6-foot-2 and weighs over 170-pounds, and has landed 10+ high-major offers since last year.

The Texas native holds offers from Baylor, LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Memphis, Oklahoma State, others.

https://stockrisers.com/s/260/four-star-junior-austin-nunez-discusses-his-recruitment

El Mero Mero 14
Damn
phorizt
txags11 said:

Glad to see we're interested.
pretty sure he's originally from Little Elm, TX but that probably doesn't really matter for a kid like this
MarcAg
AG
This is a guy we need

Method Man
He can play for sure.
Ags #1
AG
Does he have to sit out a year if he transfer within sec? Or is that football only?
MarcAg
AG
Ags #1 said:

Does he have to sit out a year if he transfer within sec? Or is that football only?

Football only
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

Ags #1
AG
Thanks!
Know Your Enemy
AG
rlb28
AG
Tanner Holden transferred from Wright State to Ohio State and is in the portal again. Intriguing because he scored and rebounded at Wright State, but only played 13 minutes per game at Ohio State.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-basketball/2023/03/137836/tanner-holden-enters-transfer-portal-after-one-season-at-ohio-state

Quote:

In his final season at Wright State, Holden averaged 20.1 points per game for an NCAA Tournament team and scored the sixth-most total points in the country. But he didn't enjoy the same level of success or opportunity in the Big Ten.
Method Man
They've done well with lefty shrimps.
rlb28
AG
zooguy96
rlb28 said:

Yes, please!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Method Man
Know Your Enemy
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.