2023 Transfer Portal News Thread

76,196 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Know Your Enemy
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RJ Luis.
FTAG 2000
AG
@coopercuffe said:

Nothing to thumbs up about.

Know Your Enemy
AG
LawHall88 said:

RJ Luis.
Thanks. Hope we are able to reel him in.
bg92
AG
That post on UH NIL is telling on just what we are up against. That is one aspect of the UH BB NIL. If you divided that equally over 13 scholarships, that is $77k per player. Are we offering $77k to each of our basketball players? I doubt it, but I don't know.
Duck Sausage
AG
Topher17
AG
Duck Sausage said:

Scored a lot, but on a really bad team. I admittedly haven't seen the kid play, but his stat lines don't really jump off the page other than the rebounds considering he is a guard. He's not very good from the FT line, although he did get to the line quite a bit.

I'm sure Buzz and Co have a plan for how to use him effectively and I trust his transfer portal evaluations for the most part.
EliteZags
AG
Savion Flagg type?
Hop
Staff
AG
Topher17 said:

Duck Sausage said:

Scored a lot, but on a really bad team. I admittedly haven't seen the kid play, but his stat lines don't really jump off the page other than the rebounds considering he is a guard. He's not very good from the FT line, although he did get to the line quite a bit.

I'm sure Buzz and Co have a plan for how to use him effectively and I trust his transfer portal evaluations for the most part.

Nearly 17 points a game doesn't catch your eye? I'm a little concerned with the competition, but he was the team's leading scorer and rebounder, and he played 35 minutes a game.
Rest in by peace, Stemp
Know Your Enemy
AG
Only big conference school they played was Northwestern and he had 8 against them. I hope he's great for us but the stats aren't screaming major contributor next season, at least not offensively.
GrayMatter
AG
You could say the same about Gordon with respect to their numbers, but he contributed a lot on the defensive end of the floor.

The only important metric here is his DAWG factor.
Topher17
AG
The rebounds catch my eye and 17 a game against that level of competition on a bad team looks good, but he wasn't all that efficient. Every terrible team has to heave a leading scorer.
MarcAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Only big conference school they played was Northwestern and he had 8 against them. I hope he's great for us but the stats aren't screaming major contributor next season, at least not offensively.
What constitutes as a major contributor offensively?
Method Man
No dawg in Gordon please fool
Know Your Enemy
AG
MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

As far as scoring I'd say double digits is probably a fair place to start. We had two players average 10+ PPG this season and 3 more at 9+. Would you call Coleman or Marble major contributors? They had great moments but also disappeared in games quite often. We need consistent scoring, especially from 3-point range. This pickup does not appear to address the biggest hole we had. Look, I hope the kid comes in and kills it for us next season and he may just do that. What I'm saying is that nothing on his stat lines leads me to believe that he will. He could still be a valuable player for us. But how often did we run into problems last season because we couldn't score?
AggieCrew44
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

As far as scoring I'd say double digits is probably a fair place to start. We had two players average 10+ PPG this season and 3 more at 9+. Would you call Coleman or Marble major contributors? They had great moments but also disappeared in games quite often. We need consistent scoring, especially from 3-point range. This pickup does not appear to address the biggest hole we had. Look, I hope the kid comes in and kills it for us next season and he may just do that. What I'm saying is that nothing on his stat lines leads me to believe that he will. He could still be a valuable player for us. But how often did we run into problems last season because we couldn't score?
We we're 65th in offensive efficiency last year out of 363 teams. That's pretty good. Scoring droughts happen to pretty much everyone in College basketball
FTAG 2000
AG
Look at the recruits that UH and Arkansas are getting out of the portal.

Now look at this kid. He seems like an upgrade for us but we're still losing ground.

He went from 38.2% on threes his freshman year with 3.2 attempts per game to 30.1% with 5.9 attempts per game his sophomore season. Plus he only shoots 68.5% from the FT line.

Know Your Enemy
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Now look at this kid. He seems like an upgrade for us but we're still losing ground.

He went from 38.2% on threes his freshman year with 3.2 attempts per game to 30.1% with 5.9 attempts per game his sophomore season. Plus he only shoots 68.5% from the FT line.

Not sure who he's an upgrade over. Hopefully he can give us similar production to what we are losing with Dex moving on but I doubt his ceiling is higher than that.
MarcAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

The biggest hole we had was guard depth in my opinion.

I don't think we need him to come in and be an elite scorer. I personally didn't really expect us to bring in somebody that is going to be a big time scorer. Am I saying we couldn't use a big time scorer? No. I just didn't think that was too realistic honestly. Luis might be the closest thing to that, but I fully expect him to go to Louisville.
Know Your Enemy
AG
We need guys who can consistently knock down 3's. I hope he's a big part of a Top 15-20 team next season but I'm just not getting overly excited about this addition just yet.
Hop
Staff
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

And have you seen how much UH and Arkansas have lost as well? They are an attractive destination because they have a lot of open spots. The fact that A&M has not lost one productive player so far is a significant plus. A&M is generally adding to its core roster. UH and Arkansas is replacing players that are transferring out and going pro.
Rest in by peace, Stemp
FTAG 2000
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Not sure who he's an upgrade over. Hopefully he can give us similar production to what we are losing with Dex moving on but I doubt his ceiling is higher than that.

I'd say Gordon or one of the bench guys who have left who never played.
Method Man
Dex was like 24. Maybe his ceiling next year is lower but not hard to imagine it being higher overall (in college).
Know Your Enemy
AG
So he's better than a guy who barely played by the end of the season? Lol, that's not much of an endorsement.
MarcAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

So he's better than a guy who barely played by the end of the season? Lol, that's not much of an endorsement.

Gordon was the first guard off our bench.
Know Your Enemy
AG
MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

So you think he was a key piece to our success this season?
MarcAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

No I think he's ****ing terrible and that was part of our problem we had no guard depth. He was past of why this team struggled.
Know Your Enemy
AG
MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

No I think he's ****ing terrible and that was part of our problem we had no guard depth. He was past of why this team struggled.

Then I have no ****ing idea what point you're trying to make.
AggieCrew44
AG
MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Thats kinda harsh
AgEfan
Know Your Enemy said:

MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Then I have no ****ing idea what point you're trying to make.

You aren't very bright, are you? The more players we add better than Gordon means it knocks Gordon down to the end of the bench. It's not rocket science. How do you not understand this?

Nobody is saying this kid is a star, but if he's better than people we put on the court next year then it's a nice pickup. A lot of us here think Gordon is an end of the bench guy. If he continues to be in the first group off the bench this team isn't going to make a serious run in the post season. This is a step in that direction.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Forgive me for setting my expectations a little higher than "better than Gordon". And I'm not against adding this guy, I'm just not getting overly excited about this particular addition as it doesn't seem to move the bar very much. Feels more like a treading water kind of move since he appears to be a Dexter Dennis replacement.
Method Man
The truth often is.
Method Man
What did you expect, Know Your Enemy?
Know Your Enemy
AG
If it isn't already clear, I was hoping for shooters.
Method Man
Funk was 34% as a freshman and 30% as sophomore. Then as a Jr, 26%. If you watch Carter's form, it looks good.
HotardRat
AG
Method Man said:

If you watch Carter's form, it looks good.

This is what I'm thinkin too. Eye test-wise, it looks smooth. Can't say that for most of our team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.