2023 Transfer Portal News Thread

76,202 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Know Your Enemy
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
LawHall88 said:

MarcAg said:

LawHall88 said:

We aren't bringing him here
Oh I know, just thought it was interesting. Guess Kentucky has a recruit coming in who will push Wheeler to the bench if he stays.

Kentucky did much better when Wheeler was hurt. I think that's the reason. I can't believe Calipari took him and played him so much.
rlb28
AG
Brandon Murray is in the portal from Georgetown by way of LSU. Nationally ranked #82 coming out of IMG.

Murray is a 6'5 guard who doesn't shoot the 3 that well (33%), but has averaged 12 ppg in two years of college.
Hop
Staff
AG
rlb28 said:

Brandon Murray is in the portal from Georgetown by way of LSU. Nationally ranked #82 coming out of IMG.

Murray is a 6'5 guard who doesn't shoot the 3 that well (33%), but has averaged 12 ppg in two years of college.

But can he transfer is the bigger question at the moment.
LawHall88
AG
NyAggie
AG
Hop said:

MarcAg said:

Hop said:

MarcAg said:

Hop said:

With the new restrictions on transfer waivers, teams better be very confident a freshman transfer will work out or they will be stuck with a dead spot in the payee for three years. That's why getting junior or senior transfers is less risky.
I don't think anybody is getting "stuck" with anybody they don't want.

First, we have to assume the NCAA will actually enforce the rule. If they do, coaches are going to get a lot more blow back on the practice of culling players

They previously didn't get blow back because the players want to leave and go to where they can get playing time is so they've never complained about being pushed out the door.

But now, if they get pushed out AND they have to sit a year, there will be a lot of players, mentors, and high school coaches who won't be happy if a college coach is notorious for screwing over kids that now have to sit.

Maybe you are right and it won't affect the top coaches, but re calculus has changed if you go back to forcing kids to sit out a year and you still have college coaches treating their roster like you play a game of poker, there could be consequences if a coach gets a bad reputation of screwing over kids.
This free transfer is like 2 years old. Players have been getting pushed out long before that existed when they had to sit out a year. And also players willingly transferred knowing they would have to sit out all the time for years and years. So I don't really see much changing. Now at least they get one time where they don't have to sit out. But players will still get pushed out and have to sit out and players will still decide to transfer even if they have to sit out. It's obviously not going to be as much as the free transfers, but it's probably going to happen about the same as it did for the 20 years prior to the free transfer.

I don't have any statistical data, just my observation. But over the last two years the turnover in rosters has exploded to where most programs see 6-7 players leave and they bring in 6-7 players. It seems those numbers were much lower prior to the new rules…more like a turnover of 1-2 players that transfer in and transfer out.

I think if these new rules are enforced, those transfer numbers will go back down to 2-3 a year levels. Again, it will force coaches and players to look more seriously at a transfer because there are now negative consequences if a transfer isn't a good fit.

Over the last two years, the process of transferring was so easy and convenient. I think both players and coaches were less worried about fit and transferring became more transactional in nation…"hey, if it doesn't work out, we'll go out separate ways at the end of the season."

But on paper, the new rule makes that more casual transaction more difficult to execute.

You still have the one free transfer so I still think you will see significant movement via the portal

A&M list about 20 players to the portal this off-season and they were all first time transfers

I think this rule will have an impact, but more towards a moderate to minor one than a moderate to significant one

rlb28
AG
Hop said:

rlb28 said:

seems unclear but literally the best reason for a player to be able to transfer without penalty is the coach leaving.

i'll believe the new rules when i see it
Hop
Staff
AG
NyAggie said:

Hop said:

MarcAg said:

Hop said:

MarcAg said:

Hop said:

With the new restrictions on transfer waivers, teams better be very confident a freshman transfer will work out or they will be stuck with a dead spot in the payee for three years. That's why getting junior or senior transfers is less risky.
I don't think anybody is getting "stuck" with anybody they don't want.

First, we have to assume the NCAA will actually enforce the rule. If they do, coaches are going to get a lot more blow back on the practice of culling players

They previously didn't get blow back because the players want to leave and go to where they can get playing time is so they've never complained about being pushed out the door.

But now, if they get pushed out AND they have to sit a year, there will be a lot of players, mentors, and high school coaches who won't be happy if a college coach is notorious for screwing over kids that now have to sit.

Maybe you are right and it won't affect the top coaches, but re calculus has changed if you go back to forcing kids to sit out a year and you still have college coaches treating their roster like you play a game of poker, there could be consequences if a coach gets a bad reputation of screwing over kids.
This free transfer is like 2 years old. Players have been getting pushed out long before that existed when they had to sit out a year. And also players willingly transferred knowing they would have to sit out all the time for years and years. So I don't really see much changing. Now at least they get one time where they don't have to sit out. But players will still get pushed out and have to sit out and players will still decide to transfer even if they have to sit out. It's obviously not going to be as much as the free transfers, but it's probably going to happen about the same as it did for the 20 years prior to the free transfer.

I don't have any statistical data, just my observation. But over the last two years the turnover in rosters has exploded to where most programs see 6-7 players leave and they bring in 6-7 players. It seems those numbers were much lower prior to the new rules…more like a turnover of 1-2 players that transfer in and transfer out.

I think if these new rules are enforced, those transfer numbers will go back down to 2-3 a year levels. Again, it will force coaches and players to look more seriously at a transfer because there are now negative consequences if a transfer isn't a good fit.

Over the last two years, the process of transferring was so easy and convenient. I think both players and coaches were less worried about fit and transferring became more transactional in nation…"hey, if it doesn't work out, we'll go out separate ways at the end of the season."

But on paper, the new rule makes that more casual transaction more difficult to execute.

You still have the one free transfer so I still think you will see significant movement via the portal

A&M list about 20 players to the portal this off-season and they were all first time transfers

I think this rule will have an impact, but more towards a moderate to minor one than a moderate to significant one

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The activity will still be high compare to before the free transfer rule, but much less than it was the past two years when many players were making a second move in two years.
Hop
Staff
AG
rlb28 said:

Hop said:

rlb28 said:

seems unclear but literally the best reason for a player to be able to transfer without penalty is the coach leaving.

i'll believe the new rules when i see it

That's the $64,000 question. Clearly, guys are entering the portal who have used their free transfer. If you are a coach, do you sign these guys and "hope" this is the NCAA bluffing? If you find out they are nit and reject those waiver requests in the summer, it kinda screws you. So I think there will be a greater premium on transfers who still have their free transfer.
AggieCrew44
AG

Had a down shooting year from 3 but probably the prize of this transfer class
Method Man
He was off the whole year from what I could tell.
MarcAg
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

Had a down shooting year from 3 but probably the prize of this transfer class
The reports are this was a mutual separation, so not sure exactly what is going on there. I can't imagine we would have any kind of shot
Know Your Enemy
AG
There were rumors that he banged RJ Davis' girlfriend.
LawHall88
AG
Method Man
Who hasn't?
TopoTacos
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Am I crazy for wanting Jackson Paveletzke from Wofford?

No. No you are not

Aside from the obvious joke, dropping 22 in Reed so we know he's comfortable here…

It looks like from the splits he played pretty well against NCAAT teams including good games against Furman and Drake. 6'3" and shooting 40% from deep would be such a useful weapon for us.
MarcAg
AG
You can't even watch a highlight video of the kid from Wofford without hearing the story how Radford got the nickname Boots.
Method Man
Lol
FTAG 2000
AG
Hop has the AD gotten their act together on hoops NIL or are they still acting like football is all that matters?
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
I assume this guy will be highly sought and with UNC retooling its roster, his decision may already be made, but he would be a great get.
MarcAg
AG
He can rebound and can be somewhat of a rim protector. When I saw his name in the portal I said this feels like Kentucky or Arkansas. He's from Arkansas
MarcAg
AG
LawHall88 said:

I assume this guy will be highly sought and with UNC retooling its roster, his decision may already be made, but he would be a great get.

That is your Dexter Dennis replacement in the starting lineup if we could land him.
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg said:

He can rebound and can be somewhat of a rim protector. When I saw his name in the portal I said this feels like Kentucky or Arkansas. He's from Arkansas
We were in his Final 10 out of high school FWIW, which probably isn't much. I think this will be an NIL recruitment.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
LawHall88 said:

Just saw this on a different site. This kid would be a game changer for us. Wonder if Buzz could adapt our style of offense and defense to utilize him appropriately.
MarcAg
AG
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

LawHall88 said:

Just saw this on a different site. This kid would be a game changer for us. Wonder if Buzz could adapt our style of offense and defense to utilize him appropriately.
I am not sure we need to adapt that much. He fits perfectly into our defense with his mobility and length. And on offense we currently play two post players right now with one who can't shoot from the mid range and can't score over taller defenders on the block. So you run the same offense but now you actually have two post players that when they are the high post can actually do something in the mid range and yet both can still score on the block. He would make Marble better. I don't know if we can realistically land him though
GrayMatter
AG
MarcAg said:

LawHall88 said:

That is your Dexter Dennis replacement in the starting lineup if we could land him.
Sounds like a 3 D kind of guy. We do need length and guys who can space the floor.
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg
AG
LawHall88 said:

I hope we don't land him. It will cause me to get way too excited and set unreasonable expectations and likely lead to disappointment.
MarcAg
AG
I want this kid!!

Know Your Enemy
AG
But is he a dawg?
MarcAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

But is he a dawg?

Which one? OQuendo or the white dude? But to answer your question, both are dawgs
LPCAg
AG
What's the expected timeframe for when current players will leave and we have an idea on which transfers are coming in?
MarcAg
AG
LPCAg said:

What's the expected timeframe for when current players will leave and we have an idea on which transfers are coming in?
When it happens. There isn't a timetable.

Last year it was May when we landed all our transfers. It was mid to late April when Cash and Diarra entered the portal.
gstu11
Now right now.
Eric Pratt to the portal
MarcAg
AG
gstu11 said:

Now right now.
Eric Pratt to the portal

I can't say I am shocked, but I kind of hoped he could figure it out here because of his shooting. Buzz said in the Fall he thought Erik could be a good player, but also said he isn't ready for this level yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.