2023 Transfer Portal News Thread

76,204 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Know Your Enemy
gstu11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not one of the guys I was worried about but I understand the kids thinking The freshman we signed is about the same player.
MarcAg
AG
gstu11 said:

Not one of the guys I was worried about but I understand the kids thinking The freshman we signed is about the same player.
I think the Lindsay is better.

Only guys I am "worried" about would be Wade, Radford, Solo, Garcia and Marble and I don't anticipate any of them leaving. I'm not really going to lose any sleep over anyone else, but not saying I want them to leave.
El Mero Mero 14
Both come in at a strong 8.7 on the DAWG meter
El Mero Mero 14
Wonder if Heff is eying the portal right now
Hop
Staff
AG
LPCAg said:

What's the expected timeframe for when current players will leave and we have an idea on which transfers are coming in?

Anytime between now and the end of May. Ideally, our staff will want newcomers in College Station for summer session I. I'm guessing we could start hearing information on comings and goings in the next 3-4 weeks.
TjgtAg08
AG
Id really like Manny to stay as well. He has some warts on his game (wished he hadn't gotten hurt, could have improved a lot through the season) but he has the type of length and athleticism that we don't have elsewhere on the roster.

IMO he could replace Dennis' production on the defensive end and easily be our first guard off the bench at worst next year.
MarcAg
AG
As I said, anyone not on my list was not necessarily somebody I hoped would leave. I would like Manny to stay as well, but if he decided to leave I honestly wouldn't lose sleep over it or panic
TjgtAg08
AG
Oh for sure, I don't want anyone to leave either, but we know it's going to happen.

Manny is a guy, for me, that I would probably list right under that core group of guys that you listed if I had to pick who I wanted to stay the most or who were the most important to the team next year.

He and Coleman are probably in that second tier of "I'd be bummed if they left" guys. More easily replaceable vs guys like Wade and Boots and Marble, but still guys that have showed a lot of potential and value on the court much more than the other guys we haven't listed.
Know Your Enemy
AG
MarcAg said:

gstu11 said:

Now right now.
Eric Pratt to the portal

I can't say I am shocked, but I kind of hoped he could figure it out here because of his shooting. Buzz said in the Fall he thought Erik could be a good player, but also said he isn't ready for this level yet.

I was intrigued to see what he could develop into but I'm certainly not going to lose a second of sleep over this.
Redfishag93
I think some of y'all are underselling manny. He has the highest ceiling of anyone on the team with his length, athleticism and skills that already exist. He's the third best ball handler on the team imo.

He has similar length and athleticism to solo and garcia but is superior shooting/handling skill wise. He forces it some and takes some bad shots, but just a little better feel and he can be all-conference and future nba.

I would definitely be upset if he left.
Ag_EE_88
AG
El Mero Mero 14 said:

Wonder if Heff is eying the portal right now

Probably graduating and getting something outside of basketball.
rlb28
AG
Arizona State freshman PG Austin Nunez hit the portal. Nationally ranked #102 coming out of San Antonio Wagner. Appeared in 28 games this year.

His dad Lupe Nunez is very connected in AAU circles. Wouldn't surprise me if Austin came back to play in the state.of Texas.
Quote:

Dec. 21, 2020
Last fall, Austin Nunez checked in at just 5-foot-10 and was your average small-ball sharpshooter. Fast forward to now, the four-star incoming junior stands at 6-foot-2 and weighs over 170-pounds, and has landed 10+ high-major offers since last year.

The Texas native holds offers from Baylor, LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Memphis, Oklahoma State, others.

https://stockrisers.com/s/260/four-star-junior-austin-nunez-discusses-his-recruitment

rlb28
AG
NMSU's Mike Peake is in the portal.

Quote:

Noteworthy because Peake was a forward on the basketball team, broke curfew and was involved in a shooting on campus that killed a UNM student in the early morning hours the day of the Lobo-Aggie rivalry game. Police have said that Peake acted in self defense after he was jumped by three UNM students. Peake was lured to campus by a female student who was friends with the UNM students, police say.

Peake, who was hit in the leg, killed UNM student Brandon Travis in a shootout around 3 a.m. outside a dorm complex.

wacarnolds
AG
Redfishag93 said:

I think some of y'all are underselling manny. He has the highest ceiling of anyone on the team with his length, athleticism and skills that already exist.

Manny's ceiling is nowhere close to Wade's.

Wade is a few pounds of muscle from being an All American player next year. Manny has about 4 things to improve to just get into the starting lineup. If he comes close to matching what Wade accomplished this year, it would be a shocking.
El Mero Mero 14
rlb28 said:

Arizona State freshman PG Austin Nunez hit the portal. Nationally ranked #102 coming out of San Antonio Wagner. Appeared in 28 games this year.

His dad Lupe Nunez is very connected in AAU circles. Wouldn't surprise me if Austin came back to play in the state.of Texas.
Quote:

Dec. 21, 2020
Last fall, Austin Nunez checked in at just 5-foot-10 and was your average small-ball sharpshooter. Fast forward to now, the four-star incoming junior stands at 6-foot-2 and weighs over 170-pounds, and has landed 10+ high-major offers since last year.

The Texas native holds offers from Baylor, LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Memphis, Oklahoma State, others.

https://stockrisers.com/s/260/four-star-junior-austin-nunez-discusses-his-recruitment

I remember recruiting this kid, really solid point guard. Would love him here. I wonder what KK Robinson is going to do.
LawHall88
AG
gstu11
I believe Buzz recruited the Epps kid hard. If my memory is correct we made his final 5 or so schools.
rlb28
AG
gstu11 said:

I believe Buzz recruited the Epps kid hard. If my memory is correct we made his final 5 or so schools.

Quote:

Back in October, when Sports Illustrated introduced King's Fork (Suffolk, Va.) combo guard Jayden Epps as a commodity in the 2022 class his list of potential college suitors was swelling by the day.

Now, he's zeroed in on six schools that he wants to focus on going forward: Providence, Florida, Virginia Tech, Texas A&M, Arkansas and N.C. State all made the cut.

Epps on Texas A&M: "They started recruiting me last year, and the coaches hit me all the time. They break down film with me on their Zooms and really show me how my game fits in with them. They have a run-and-gun style and play tough defense. I know I would fit in there."
rlb28
AG

Quote:

This past week saw a major influx of impact players including Caleb Love, Jayden Epps and Kel'el Ware among many others, giving us no choice (or so our editors say) but to expand our rankings from the initial 25 to a top 50 today. Here is the updated and expanded list of 50.

Expanded Top 50 Rankings for 2023
LawHall88
AG
rlb28
AG
Former five-star Marquise (MJ) Rice, 6'5, hit the portal via Kansas. He's out of Oak Hill Academy and averaged 2.2 ppg his freshman year.

The Aggies recruited him out of HS...

TexAg1822
AG
LawHall88 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this leaves us with two open spots currently right?

Additions:
Bryce Lindsay -- Freshman

Departures:
Dennis -- Senior
Pratt -- Portal
Brown -- Portal
MarcAg
AG
TexAg1822 said:

LawHall88 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this leaves us with two open spots currently right?

Additions:
Bryce Lindsay -- Freshman

Departures:
Dennis -- Senior
Pratt -- Portal
Brown -- Portal

I think it's 3 spots. I don't think Boots counts as he is using a Covid year (if the ncaa is still doing that).
gstu11
Boots and Andre Gordon are both coming off the 13 scholarship spots. They would both be fifth year COVID seniors. That's two spots and then two more with Pratt and JB. Think we have 3 open as of now. Dennis didn't count as one of the 13 spots this year so him leaving doesn't open up a spot.
MarcAg
AG
gstu11 said:

Boots and Andre Gordon are both coming off the 13 scholarship spots. They would both be fifth year COVID seniors. That's two spots and then two more with Pratt and JB. Think we have 3 open as of now. Dennis didn't count as one of the 13 spots this year so him leaving doesn't open up a spot.

1. Wade
2. KK
3, Hefner
4. Garcia
5. Solo
6. Smith
7. Marble
8. Obaseki
9. Coleman
10. Lindsay
11. Open
12. Open
13. Open

Now it's possible a guy like Lee or Williams gets put on scholarship, but I think they wait until after the portal work is done and see what space they have left.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Is there a reason you don't have Boots on that list?
MarcAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Is there a reason you don't have Boots on that list?
Yes. He is using a covid year and therfore doesn't take up a scholarship (unless the NCAA decides to change that. Gordon would be the same which is why he doesn't show.
Know Your Enemy
AG
This was posted in the 23/24 Roster thread.

Faustus said:

Know Your Enemy said:

I believe these are all the scholarship players that started this past season on the roster. Let me know if I missed anyone. If I am not mistake Jaelyn Lee & Davin Watkins were walk-ons.

1. Dexter Dennis
2. Khalen Robinson
3. Hayden Hefner
4. Erik Pratt
5. Wade Taylor IV
6. Ethan Henderson
7. Andersson Garcia
8. Solomon Washington
9. Henry Coleman III
10. Andre Gordon
11. Tyrese Radford
12. Javonte Brown
13. Ashton Smith
14. Julius Marble
15. Manny Obaseki
16. Jordan Williams

Incoming:

Bryce Lindsay - Freshman

That should leave us 3 spots to fill (I think if Boots takes his COVID year it does not count against our 15 schollies.)
I think any scholarship limit waivers due to covid were done in 2021-2022. The players still get the extra year, but the team is limited to the usual 13 scholarships.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2022/05/how-does-the-ncaas-extra-covid-year-for-athletes-impact-college-teams-rosters-mikes-mailbox.html

Quote:

This past season was the first year that college athletes could take advantage of the NCAA's extra year because of the coronavirus pandemic's impact on the 2020-21 season.

So for just last season, the players who were using their extra year did not count against the scholarship limit. This gave schools time to adjust to the ruling.

But beginning with the 2022-23 season, any player who is using their extra year will count toward the scholarship limit. So teams will be able to have just 13 players on scholarship.

For the 13 scholarship number:
https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-basketball/scholarships

Method Man
Got about 3 more to go.
MarcAg
AG
I don't think that is correct. I know the link says that, but the ncaa waffles on everything. We had 15 guys on scholarship this year. Two were on Covid years (Henderson and Dexter) so to me that says the ncaa is still not counting them.
GrayMatter
AG
Is Ashton really on scholarship? Is he ever going to suit up?
AggieHoopsGuy
AG

Going to be highly sought after in the portal
EliteZags
AG
LSU role player -> Tulane scoring leader -> ?

Kendric Davis 2.0?
(TCU role player -> SMU scoring leader -> Memphis star)
Know Your Enemy
AG
DallasAggie87
AG
MarcAg said:

LawHall88 said:

I hope we don't land him. It will cause me to get way too excited and set unreasonable expectations and likely lead to disappointment.
Yep. He would be a perfect add. Love his game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.