Aggie Volleyball - The Morrison Edition

143,815 Views | 1268 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Wicked Good Ag
Artimus Gordon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Instead of having to wade through the A V 2022 thread to get current info, I thought a current one would be in order.

Artimus Gordon
https://12thman.com/news/2023/2/1/reasor-returns-to-am-as-director-of-volleyball-operations.aspx

Morrison ads former student Ashli Reasor to the staff.
ProwessBold
AG
Big deal! She is a top 10 setter from 2023 class. Starting to think this team could be really good next year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Co9_hWKrMSK/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Ag4eva95
Wow! I'm impressed. Filled two weak spots very quickly. A great middle and a great setter. Given what we return, I have interest again! Watched some of her film, she's legit. Looks like she plays with a chip on her shoulder too. Do you know where she is ranked in accordance to the recruiting rankings?
taylorswift13
AG
Saw she played for the USA U18 team with Lednicky and Underwood last year! She was also commited and signed to Washington so looks like Morrison really worked hard to make her stay home! I'm excited!
Artimus Gordon
https://skylinejrs.com/commitments/

The number of college signees out of the skyline program is fairly incredible.

Welcome Margot to Aggieland!
taylorswift13
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie Skyliners
Ag4eva95
Saw she was ranked #49 last summer recruiting rankings. Highest ranked setter since Aiple!
Wicked Good Ag
I assume we allowed any recruits out of their LOI that wanted with a coaching change

I have no idea if that means Brynn Cavell is not coming but would make sense that they let her out

Otherwise without knowing to much detail that would give us 3 if she stayed...junior, freshman, freshman

I would think it would be spaced out a bit

taylorswift13
AG
Woah! And to the post above! Having a freshman setter trying to adapt to the college game is tricky especially since she won't be here until the summer! Signing two setters in the same class is tricky! Wondering if Morrison works with Buzultepe and helps her polish her game or wants to throw a freshman like Manning into the fire and learn and grow with her!
Ag4eva95
I believe I saw Brynn in the spring workout videos they've posted. They need Atleast 3 setters. The competition for the starting job is wide open. With Brynn, that's 3 solid options
Jack Pearson
AG
cbmik95 said:

Saw she was ranked #49 last summer recruiting rankings. Highest ranked setter since Aiple!
Do we care what the rankings are now? I was under the impression most ranking services were out of touch these days and not really worth anything? What ranking services matter and which ones dont?
Ag4eva95
No one said they matter, I was just curious what people thought of her….
Jack Pearson
AG
cbmik95 said:

No one said they matter, I was just curious what people thought of her….
Sorry wasnt picking on you but a general question. I always hear the rankings in volleyball are trash these days, prepvolleyball has gone to crap, most folks think prepdig is just ok and the red hat lady is laughable. I was just curious what rankings are legit and actually mean something? Do the coaches care or take that into consideration?
Ag4eva95
Oh gotcha! Volleyball rankings aren't really anything to worry about. Doesn't mean you'll be great and doesn't mean you can't be great. I think there is some legitimacy in them. Who can contribute immediately vs who needs development. But at the end of the day, they are just opinions. Manning excites me. We need a good ball control setter, leader. She fits this mold from what I've read and watched
Wicked Good Ag
I dont think that rankings are really a major thing anymore with prepvb being sold and then becoming useless honestly

However you know who is good based upon offers. Not every player pans out, can handle to leap from club/HS to college right away and sometimes it is a just a bad fit but one thing coaches will learn quickly is how to navigate roster construction in the transfer portal NIL era

Roster management will be key going forward for most programs along with huge program culture

If we have three setters in the fall it isnt a bad thing...none with real college experience and two being freshman when we wont run a 6-2 system in foreseeable future might be a bit of issue

Jack Pearson
AG
Yeah no way both freshman stay, once the pecking order is set then my guess one will be portaling out next fall.
Anchorhold
Soooo Northern Lights Qualifier is a recruiting thing?
Wicked Good Ag
Anchorhold said:

Yes
Swollen Thumb
AG
Anchorhold said:

There are several USAV National qualifier tournaments hosted around the nation each year. They are tournaments, not recruiting events per se. But since they bring in the top clubs/teams with the best talent, there are always a ton of college coaches that come to evaluate and recruit.
kwammer
Yup. Go watch the Open level courts at the qualifiers for 16s-18s and they will be filled with D1 coaches/staff. D2/D3 will be sniffing around the USA level courts.
Anchorhold
Gracias
flintdragon
AG
kwammer said:

Yup. Go watch the Open level courts at the qualifiers for 16s-18s and they will be filled with D1 coaches/staff. D2/D3 will be sniffing around the USA level courts.
This always brings up bad memories. My kid was playing at PNQ in Spokane a few years ago in 16s USA. Normally most divisions are in a main convention center so all the good teams should be in similar areas for college coaches to walk around and efficiently observe.

For whatever reason, they placed 16 USA in a remote site, well away from the convention center. Half the reason to travel is for college visibility.

So her team makes gold bracket on the final day. We arrive and could not find the court! After careful observation, we find the gold bracket was to be played in a small practice gym upstairs somewhere, one court and very little seating. Basically only the team, refs and parents. No scouts roaming around if they even could find the court. We lose the first gold game to a team we had beaten earlier and effectively wasted $2K to travel there. No qualify, no college coaches.
Wicked Good Ag
flintdragon said:

kwammer said:

This always brings up bad memories. My kid was playing at PNQ in Spokane a few years ago in 16s USA. Normally most divisions are in a main convention center so all the good teams should be in similar areas for college coaches to walk around and efficiently observe.

For whatever reason, they placed 16 USA in a remote site, well away from the convention center. Half the reason to travel is for college visibility.

So her team makes gold bracket on the final day. We arrive and could not find the court! After careful observation, we find the gold bracket was to be played in a small practice gym upstairs somewhere, one court and very little seating. Basically only the team, refs and parents. No scouts roaming around if they even could find the court. We lose the first gold game to a team we had beaten earlier and effectively wasted $2K to travel there. No qualify, no college coaches.

First problem is you picked the Spokane qualifier. Easiest to possibly qualify for nationals but also one of the most expensive overall to play in and one of the least recruited normally.
flintdragon
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

First problem is you picked the Spokane qualifier. Easiest to possibly qualify for nationals but also one of the most expensive overall to play in and one of the least recruited normally.
Yep. yet clubs in Austin keep sending teams there. Nice city to visit at least. Expensive to even fly there and hard to even leave on a Sunday after a tournament.

Anyway, I'm glad the coaches are recruiting hard. They seem more visible as far as social media.
Sargie
AG
The rankings have been poor since Tawa left prepvolleyball.com. The only real way to know how kids relate to each other is from the offers they had during their commitment process and for a setter even that can be misleading. Teams usually commit scholarship setters every other year so some teams aren't even in the market in some years.
Anchorhold

Is this at Reed?
taylorswift13
AG
No they're at some tournament in Houston!
Sargie
AG
So what did we learn from the tournament this past weekend?
Jack Pearson
AG
Sargie said:

The rankings have been poor since Tawa left prepvolleyball.com. The only real way to know how kids relate to each other is from the offers they had during their commitment process and for a setter even that can be misleading. Teams usually commit scholarship setters every other year so some teams aren't even in the market in some years.
Yeah I dont even know about offers anymore. I think a big part of it what club you play for and what their connections are. College coaches are then floated names from these clubs.

AJV and HJV go to spokane every year because its the easiest to qualify.

For example, this next weekend in Chicago and the following weekend in Dallas are two of the hardest to qualify at.
taylorswift13
AG
The team just gave up posting the results from the weekend
Sargie
AG
I believe they split with TCU, Incarnate Word, and UH. Was interested to hear if anyone attended and had any observations to share.
flintdragon
AG
Aggies played Baylor today but lost 2-3. Anyone hear of any insights on the team this Spring?
flintdragon
AG
Spotted coach at LSC today. Hopefully found a 5*. He's certainly hitting the recruiting trail hard!
91poohah
AG
flintdragon said:

kwammer said:

Also, playing USA only gets a slight amount of sniffing by coaches, if any. Open or bust for most of the coaches

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.