Aggie Volleyball - The Morrison Edition

147,073 Views | 1277 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Anchorhold
drumbeat10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like a lot of schools are announcing their 2024 signings today. I guess we still don't have anyone? I know we don't have much room in the way of scholarships, with only Meuth to be for sure leaving the program for next year due to eligibility, right? Wouldn't be surprised to see Hogan or Brown moving on either as I think they are both in their fourth year of college this year, but I believe both still have one more year of eligibility remaining.
Wicked Good Ag
Brown is doubtful to transfer as she has used her free transfer I think Hogan and Meuth both wont have eligiblilty after this season. If only one maybe two scholarships available without people transferring out then I think they use one or both for a grad transfer OH and look for some passing DS until the 2025 class comes on campus
Ag4eva95
I really think another setter is necessary. No way we go another year with two setters that both have a history of injuries.
Wicked Good Ag
We havent had three setters on roster but once in like 6 years. And we have a top setter in the country coming in 2025. If we can get a one year player great but not at the expense of a terminal OH who can pass and some passers DS. We dont have but three DS on the roster currently much lower than most top 25 rosters

Ag4eva95
Right, but those setters also ran a 5-1 when they did play. We don't have that luxury. Also, look at that coaching staff as well. Camielle Connor was the mainstay for most of those years.

We have no depth this year. It doesn't make sense if we're planning on a 6-2 again next year
Wicked Good Ag
We didnt have depth the last 6 years either....at least with these two setters we have depth if one goes down we can run a 5-1

I have no problem trying to get a third setter on roster. I just think there are much more pressing needs for 2024.

and thus if it comes down to a OH1 or a third setter to me it is a no brainer and I would even say 2 solid DS players who can pass would be worth more than a third setter and what setter comes unless a grad transfer knowing the 2025 setter is coming the next year
Ag4eva95
Completely agree with you that OH is a top priority! Not really a debate there. But I think there could be a debate for DS vs setter. Manning is coming off of a major knee injury. Nisa we all know is currently injured, but she's been like that her entire tenure here. I absolutely believe next years roster will be bigger than this years. There is more than enough room for some quality players. Plus, DS/L aren't usually scholarship players, so we can bring on as many as we want. I see setter as the bigger need
BiochemAg97
AG
drumbeat10 said:

Looks like a lot of schools are announcing their 2024 signings today. I guess we still don't have anyone? I know we don't have much room in the way of scholarships, with only Meuth to be for sure leaving the program for next year due to eligibility, right? Wouldn't be surprised to see Hogan or Brown moving on either as I think they are both in their fourth year of college this year, but I believe both still have one more year of eligibility remaining.

Not much room for 2024 with all the youth on the team. Staff is really happy about their 2025 class.
flintdragon
AG
assuming we have 2 available schollies, I would prioritize 1 outstanding OH and a second dependable OH. I would only take a L/DS or a setter if they are immediate impact players, outstanding defensive talent or definite 5-1 setter.
Wicked Good Ag
I have no idea what the coaching staff has planned for it terms of roster management.

Volleyball is a full scholarship sport so you cant give partial scholarships at all. You can do a 2 and 2 where they pay for the first two years themselves and get scholies for the last two years which is what some DSs get.

I do know that the 2025 class if it stay in tact looks very very good and the pieces needed for 2024 arent much assuming the roster stays the same sans those with no more eligibility.

You should always be upgrading the roster when you can, and it is the job of the players already in the program to let the coach know they are not to be replaced with their work and performance to say I am not losing my starting spot. But there are scholarship limitations and while NIL could allow a bit of flexibility for any given year you train what you got and if not cutting it you try to upgrade

If we could get a setter for next year great, but passing terminating outside and a passing DS is what we need most of all right now
akm91
AG
Any reason we don't run 5-1 offense? I haven't followed the team that much to know.
Ag4eva95
Both setters don't seem to have the ability to own the net, although I am very curious to see Manning with a full week of practice!
akm91
AG
Ok that make sense. I would imagine we'd want to recruit setters that can run 5-1 offense?
Ag4eva95
Think it depends on Morrison! Manning is undersized and Nisa just lacks some of the ability needed for a 5-1. Usually they have a more aggressive mindset. A 5-1 would help some of our passes not be so terrible. He's always ran a 5-1 internationally because they have limited subs. So I guess we will see!
Sargie
AG
KY smacked Auburn last night -14, -11, -14. I wasn't able to watch the match but some of the commentary afterward indicated Auburn couldn't pass. It is a similar result that Auburn had vs Arkansas. It ties back to a lot of the conversation on this forum about our serving effectiveness. I assume Auburn was running in system against us way more than against better serving teams. I wish we had access to more advanced stats to know for sure. But headed into these next three matches, on top of figuring out how to side out in rotations 4-6 with a front row setter, we're gonna have to serve aggressively and pass better. The system change should allow for more passing flexibility - we'll see how it affects our serving.
Gap
AG
Ags at Missouri tonight.

We led the 1st set 21-20 but Missouri dominated at the end to close on a 5-1 run and win 25-22.
Ag4eva95
Nisa is back in. Curious to see the turn around. Jeffery is also in at RS
drumbeat10
For those not watching, Perkins rolled
Her ankle early in the first set and cos actually came off the bench to replace her. Brown got the start as the other middle with manning running a 5-1 to start. Also Ital looks like she isn't dressed to play, not sure if she picked up an injury in practice or something else happened.
flintdragon
AG
2nd set we were up by 2-3 points at the very end and couldn't close the deal. 3rd set felt eerily similar at the end but this time Ags prevail. We should be up 2 sets to 1 but instead, we are battling for our lives.

Setting in general has been poor. Lots of tight sets into the block and tips from poorly placed sets.

Missouri's defense is quite a bit better than our and very scrappy too.

Our blocking is again not consistent and way too many balls hitting the ground unchallenged.
flintdragon
AG
4th set played a lot better. Cos-okpala was feeling it and the team seemed to respond. Unfortunately she subbed out. We were up 22-19 and gave up 6 points in a row to lose the set and the game.
drumbeat10
At this point it really seems like Pearson should be getting all of Hogans playing time.

Really nice offensive game from Muoneke tonight. Lednicky seemed to struggle with the inconsistent setting and she doesn't seem to see the block well when it starts camping out on her.

Frustrating loss but nice to see the team generally playing even with Missouri and not getting blown out in any set. The younger player just need to learn how to close out sets.
drumbeat10
Cos-Okpalla not starting tonight, but running the standard 6-2 with manning and ital and Molly brown with Perkins at middle. Pearson getting early minutes for meuth in the back row.
drumbeat10
Down 13-18 in the first set but seeing some long rallies with better floor defense than we are used to seeing on our side.
Ag4eva95
Hope they put Cos back in, Brown provides no offense. Our block is off again. Hope they can figure it out for set 2
flintdragon
AG
started watching the 2nd set. zero defense as far as I can tell...
Ag4eva95
Our girls have just lost themselves. Our block has been ineffective resulting in all other aspects of the game breaking down. Underwood isn't having a good game either.

Has this team lost their fire? The energy looks dead on our side
Ag4eva95
Not sure if anyone saw the last replay of Tealer throwing a tip, but our defense is so slow to react. We can't read the hitter. All 6 players on the court. We miss so many easy digs due to this.
B$Weigem
AG
Scholarships are renewable annually. There are several players on the team that should be encouraged to transfer do we can hit the portal. We need a setter and back row help.
mpl35
AG
We have cratered.
Gap
AG
I was glad to win a set at Kentucky.
flintdragon
AG
the season has taken a toll on their spirit. Definitely not playing with as much passion. Hopefully they can take care of business and find that spirit before the tournament. For whatever reason, the blocking and setting has gotten worse. Backrow needs to find a way to dig up more balls if the blocking is not there.

That said, I'll be at the next game to cheer them on!
Wicked Good Ag
Ag4eva95 said:

Not sure if anyone saw the last replay of Tealer throwing a tip, but our defense is so slow to react. We can't read the hitter. All 6 players on the court. We miss so many easy digs due to this.

I didn't get to see the game last night. Followed the stats for a period but we do not do well with tip roll throw off speed shots in reacting on season long. Both setters are slow to react and a higher percentage of these type shots will go to them rather than middle or left back.

The setting is what it is. If you are looking for someone for the 24 season then maybe a grad transfer. You have a great class in 2025 and honestly only have to replace Meuth from basic current lineup for next season. If you can get upgrades great but 2025 you have a great class coming in, most of which will get significant meaningful time.
I am more concerned with getting over the jump against a quality team in conference. Other than Florida after losing their setter for the season we haven't won a match against a team above us in the standings. We usually win a set but can't win the match. The way Tennessee is playing I didn't see us fixing that before Sunday.
You can argue we are top of tier 3 in the SEC or bottom of tier two but we haven't won but one match against anyone in Toer 2 except Florida discussed above
Wicked Good Ag
Ag4eva95 said:

Hope they put Cos back in, Brown provides no offense. Our block is off again. Hope they can figure it out for set 2

Brown and Perkins weren't the problem. 16 total swings from middle in four set match was. They were both effective with only one error by Brown in last set. But they had minimal chances. Either by design or by our ball control. Usually it is ball control. Meuth had a few more errors and low hitting percentage last night. When stuff like that happens I like to see maybe force the middle a couple of times to hold the block a little longer. Lupoto had a nice stat line and if we can get that every other game plus her ability to alter shots from their outside we can do some things. Our team defense seems to be the slowest of all the teams I have seen live and or video in SEC but we can make up for that with blocking in some matches

I think we can win some matches when we out block them. We didn't even though we had 11 they had 15 against Missouri. Yesterday we had more blocks than Kentucky but the middles for Kentucky had 39 swings compared to our 17. So we have to win the middle certain matches and we aren't doing that because we can't / don't use the middle enough. If any of the middles struggle we have a backup either Brown or Cos or Perkins. Sometimes you need a subbing spark to get things going at any position
Ag4eva95
I agree after set one, sort of. If you watch the replay though, Brown was a big problem blocking, especially the last set. She misread so many attacks and lead to one on one situations. I know Kentucky has a really good setter so it's kind of expected. But Brown and Cos aren't really in the same field if you're talking athletic ability
Swollen Thumb
AG
Our lack of anticipation on defense is stunning. Combine that with our setters and Mueth who are very slow defensively and we are going to struggle in that area. I think teams have the book on us which is why we are struggling lately (rather than being due to effort and spirit etc). We are pretty one dimensional and predictable due to our limitations and good teams have us figured out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.