Aggie Volleyball - The Morrison Edition

145,030 Views | 1269 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by Squadron7
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back against the wall now.

We need the team that went on the road last week to show up for the next 3 sets.
Gap
AG
3rd set

Currently 18-15 A&M
TulaneAg
At the game.. Why the hell was that Lednicky play from the right side overturned?
Gap
AG
TulaneAg said:

At the game.. Why the hell was that Lednicky play from the right side overturned?

Agree. Lednicky hit it. The ball hit the net, then the Missouri player's elbow pad, then the out of bounds pin.
Gap
AG
Aggies win set 3 by a score of 25-19
Gap
AG
Mistake fest so far in set 4 for the Ags. But only down 13-10

TulaneAg
Passing is tough to watch. Need to dig deep to pull this one out.
Gap
AG
We are working on giving it away here.

19-15 Missouri.
Ag4eva95
Meuth is in a rut. She hasn't played well in weeks. We need her producing efficiently for us to be good as a team.
Gap
AG
Missouri wins set 4 by a score of 25-21.

It really stinks for us to probably have our lowest energy performance of the year after coming home after a great week on the road last week.

I'm a fan but this one was definitely disappointing. It is different playing as a favorite in SEC matches where everyone expects you to win.
Ag4eva95
Not a good effort today. 2 steps forward one step back. This one may not hurt to much on the resume at the end of the season, but right now it is a bad bad look. Poor effort from the back row. Morrison needs to figure out the serving aspect, it's costing us in big momentum filled moments
Gap
AG
Missouri was 2-16 in the SEC last year. Not one you expect to lose at home.
Anchorhold
HIGH: Beating #4 Florida on ESPN in primetime.

LOW: Losing 3-1 at home to Mizzou.

I'll take it.
Wicked Good Ag
Completely different team and staff

First contact was worse then Houston match which I didn't think was possible
Ag4eva95
Hogan missed multiple digs of relatively easy out of system downballs. Underwood was very sloppy today. Something I don't quite get is why we try to push the first contact so close to the net especially when our setters are backrow. I'm all about having tempo, but it isn't doing us any favors
Swollen Thumb
AG
We do not play well at home. Team looks like they went hard at North Gate last night. No energy, no focus. Flat performance. Some teams just play better on the road away from distractions….not saying that's the case with this group, but looking like it might be. Laid two really bad eggs at Reed between this and Houston. At least UH is good. This was a bad L today just when they were getting momentum.
Swollen Thumb
AG
Orome said:

Goodness gracious we've got to have a better balance between aggressive serving and service errors

This X a million. Can't rely on a strategy that your team can't execute consistently.

It's like wanting to take a bunch of 3s in BBall, when you have a team that can't shoot. At some point it just becomes empty possessions and turnovers.

You want an aggressive serving team? Then recruit a team that can serve aggressively.
Wicked Good Ag
This loss was at the service line. We got aced 7 times, numerous passes that not aces but scored a 1 and 17 errors from our service line. The only thing that stopped our middles in game today was our first contact.

I just dont see the risk vs reward in our serving game. The only one that puts real pressure from the line is Manning with a deceptively flat aggressive serve of which she missed 5 today.

Mueth needs to use the top spin serve occasionally as it is worth the risk if we are putting these type of numbers from beyind the endline.

From the middle attack we had no errors and like nearly 15 kills. We had a good number of blocks and the set we won we had the fewest hitting errors in that set without as many service errors at least compared to the first set where we had like 7 at one point..

We have to set middle more as other than Logan the team isnt getting its kills on the pins as much, open up the block some by settting the middle a few more times per set. We forced it a couple of times when i didnt expect it to be set in the middle and we scored.

Looking at the box score for last three matches our set percentage towards kills favors NIsa Buzlutepe over Manning but almost 100 points higher but i think that is a direct correlation to setting Logan on The RS over the past few matches.

Not having an extra option passing for when Meoneke/ Hogan get picked on hurts. The targeting of those two and Mueth seems to be the game plan many teams have formed as those three were targeted 60 of 78 times today, 64 of 81 against Arkansas and 60 of 90 against Florida which isnt had bad percentage and we actually won that match.

Next three matches are on the road and extremely winnable as is the next home game. We cant afford to drop many like today because there are too many teams in the same tier as us and Missouri wasnt one of them
Sargie
AG
"If we take care of the serve and pass game and our block shows up, we should prevail. If we let their serve affect us, we could be in for a long day."
hsvag
Are there no other options for passing/defense to sub in for Meuth when she rotates to the back row? Her skillset is apparently such that she is the only one who never comes out, but an occasional breather might keep her fresher at the end.
Ag4eva95
Not really. Pearson doesn't seem to be ready for the big stage, Hogan has been coming in for Bionna due to her poor passing of late. We aren't very deep. Hogan can go in for Meuth or Bionna. But even she isn't necessarily any better than those two passing. She's just as much a liability
Wicked Good Ag
Ag4eva95 said:

Not really. Pearson doesn't seem to be ready for the big stage, Hogan has been coming in for Bionna due to her poor passing of late. We aren't very deep. Hogan can go in for Meuth or Bionna. But even she isn't necessarily any better than those two passing. She's just as much a liability
This is my exact sentiment as well

We need an elite passing option...honestly our defense isnt that bad although we get caught a lot like most teams do when scrambling around. We lost a match today in which we hit nearly .100 higher than our opponent and out blocking them by nearly double. Serve pass lost us the match, not floor defense as they took nearly 20 more swings then we did but only 4 more kills and 13 more hitting errors then us...yet we lost
Ag4eva95
I don't think our defense is terrible. We have so much trouble defending out of system swings more than in system swings. Hogan, Meuth, and Bionna are all very below average in this regard. All 3 lack discipline in court awareness, positioning, and physical defensive stance. The only one here who gets the ok for a learning curve is Bionna. Meuth and Hogan don't really have excuses. I know Bird wasn't the best coach, but teaching correct defense discipline is the heart of any volleyball coach.
Jack Pearson
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

This loss was at the service line. We got aced 7 times, numerous passes that not aces but scored a 1 and 17 errors from our service line. The only thing that stopped our middles in game today was our first contact.

I just dont see the risk vs reward in our serving game. The only one that puts real pressure from the line is Manning with a deceptively flat aggressive serve of which she missed 5 today.

Mueth needs to use the top spin serve occasionally as it is worth the risk if we are putting these type of numbers from beyind the endline.

From the middle attack we had no errors and like nearly 15 kills. We had a good number of blocks and the set we won we had the fewest hitting errors in that set without as many service errors at least compared to the first set where we had like 7 at one point..

We have to set middle more as other than Logan the team isnt getting its kills on the pins as much, open up the block some by settting the middle a few more times per set. We forced it a couple of times when i didnt expect it to be set in the middle and we scored.

Looking at the box score for last three matches our set percentage towards kills favors NIsa Buzlutepe over Manning but almost 100 points higher but i think that is a direct correlation to setting Logan on The RS over the past few matches.

Not having an extra option passing for when Meoneke/ Hogan get picked on hurts. The targeting of those two and Mueth seems to be the game plan many teams have formed as those three were targeted 60 of 78 times today, 64 of 81 against Arkansas and 60 of 90 against Florida which isnt had bad percentage and we actually won that match.

Next three matches are on the road and extremely winnable as is the next home game. We cant afford to drop many like today because there are too many teams in the same tier as us and Missouri wasnt one of them
Manning has 38 service errors to only 21 service aces on the season. While she does have the most aces on the team she also has the most errors as well. Is that normal college ratio to almost be a 1 ace for every 2 errors?

Is it just me or does Meuth look out of shape compared to last year?
Wicked Good Ag
Everyone would like better ratio but only Manning meets the aggressive worthy risk vs reward and maybe Mueth when using top spin

all other serves are not meeting the risk vs reward that i expect Morrison and staff want.

She also has one of the better totals serves in match which means we also score a lot more often when she is at the service line as she is one of the servers later in the rotation

We have way too many errors as a complete team, and it bit us really bad coupled with subpar passing.

Our worst two passing games were Missouri and Houston at home or road that i watched, one of those is an acceptable loss then other not so much

I dont care if it a 6 rotation OH next year but we need a passing option either at DS, libero or 6 ro OH next season to advance the program. It is no wonder that our last sweet 16 run was when we added Camila Gomez as libero and Hans had a great senior season.

As i and someone else allude to right not the optiion of most teams is to serve at Hogan or Muenoke and it seems that one of them is in the passing rotation and if not for some reason they go after Mueth. Until corrected the opponent has plenty of options it seems, we can overcome when we are average we cannot it seems when below average
Swollen Thumb
AG
Where do you find individual serving % stats? I've looked/googles/etc and can't find any source. 12th man has team stats for aces and errors, but not attempts, so can't determine %. For individuals, they only show aces.

Agree with Wicked, Manning, Underwood and Mueth seem to be the only that have above average serves. With our blocking strength to rely on, would think we would be willing to take our chances just getting the ball in play rather than handing over 17 points per game against a less physical team.

Regarding passing and defense....it just isn't at the level you see from any other top 15-20 program. First touch is inconsistent so we can't run middle and we look very slow digging and covering blocks/tips. Underwood moves pretty well, but others look like they are playing with concrete shoes. Not sure if it's positioning, awareness, or just a lack of quick-twitch athleticism....or combination.
Wicked Good Ag
Detailed box scores not regular ones. Look at the one for last match vs Missouri and then look at the one for Florida match on Florida website. They are two different ones that give a lot more info. I got a detailed one from last match at Reed and got the ones for Arkansas and Florida off of the opponents websites
Sargie
AG
Interesting in Morrison's presser that he hinted that our blocking wasn't as dominant as the simple stats would indicate - that Mizzou got a lot of block touches that led to them transitioning into their offense. I think this relates back to our serve receive quality in that teams will camp on Lednicky and our other OH's will struggle against double blocks. Someone said earlier our middles were unstoppable based on the stats but we weren't in system enough to run them for points or to open up the other hitters and I think that's what ultiimately stuck our offense.

There was another concerning thing in the match yesterday. I initially thought it was similar to the Baylor, UH, and TCU matches and I think it was in that we pretty decisively lost the serve/pass game. But, those teams ran real offenses with pace and good setting. Mizzou wasn't even pretending to run a college offense. Their setter either set high outside, high right side, or high back right when the tall lefty was in back row. They set high balls and swung as hard as they could into our block. They scored a lot off of tools. We saw some more in-game adjustments with the line-up but it continued. Again, the service pressure on Mizzou was very poor - we rarely moved their setter off the mark so we really didn't take advantage of their biggest weakness.

I bet the practice plan this week is serve/pass, serve/pass, blocking, blocking, blocking, serve/pass, serve/pass.

Morrison also alluded to the fact that the team still recovering from illness. I think it has been a rough week for them health-wise. Hopefully we get well, take care of business in our next four matches, and clean up some of these issues to get ready for the rough stretch of the schedule in a few weeks.
flintdragon
AG
Swollen Thumb said:

Where do you find individual serving % stats? I've looked/googles/etc and can't find any source. 12th man has team stats for aces and errors, but not attempts, so can't determine %. For individuals, they only show aces.
Is this what you are looking for?
https://12thman.com/sports/2020/6/4/volleyball-historical-statistics-archive.aspx
Wicked Good Ag
That is for the season and a bit behind at that but they have ones for individual matches.
We don't publish detailed box scores but others do

Here are links to Florida match

12th man website

https://12thman.com/volleyball/2023/boxscore/at-florida/21354/pdf

Florida website box score

https://floridagators.com/documents/2023/9/27/161161.PDF
Swollen Thumb
AG
Yes, thanks. I didn't think to look at "archives" since figured that would be past years only. These might be a bit behind on the season (per Wicked below) but still good to know where to find it!

ETA - Actually, I have found seen these.....but they don't include Attempts, only Aces and Errors. Was just trying to figure out actual serving % for individuals and team. Thanks again though!
flintdragon
AG
Swollen Thumb said:

Yes, thanks. I didn't think to look at "archives" since figured that would be past years only. These might be a bit behind on the season (per Wicked below) but still good to know where to find it!

ETA - Actually, I have found seen these.....but they don't include Attempts, only Aces and Errors. Was just trying to figure out actual serving % for individuals and team. Thanks again though!
Ah yeah, I saw "SA/S" and thought you could calculate total serves but that's just Aces.
Wicked Good Ag
The detailed box score tells you how many serves someone does so we also can infer if they aren't one of the first two or so to serve on the team that we score more points when they are at service line. Now many factors go into that but Manning serves more on average than most other rotations even with the most errors. That to me is significant because she also doesn't have Lednicky on the floor at that time as she subs for her directly.

If you look at some detailed box scores it also gives you a setter percentage of kills per attempt. Manning is about .100 below the other setter in terms of efficiency in the games that I have detailed box scores to look at but once again she doesn't get to set Lednicky in our system.

If we serve more aggressive and get them out of system more out middle options becomes more frequent AND to me Luputo becomes every more effective as blocker and attack option but our aggressiveness at the service line is few and far between in the eye test. Manning when on and Meuth with top spin are the exceptions but once again eye test but somewhat statistically correct for Manning at least

We did make one change in that Underwood as Libero served for Cos whereas in past our Libero served for Perkins. Cos had a few errors in last couple of matches and maybe that presented a change or getting Underwood to service line quickly was also a reason. When we had Hogan in the match Perkins after serving played MB and Hogan LB so that may have been worked on in practice also
Wicked Good Ag
Gap said:

TulaneAg said:

Agree. Lednicky hit it. The ball hit the net, then the Missouri player's elbow pad, then the out of bounds pin.

This was incorrect. The ball never hit the Missouri player correctly overturned by replay.
Ag4eva95
When I watched it, it clearly look like the ball was redirected off her elbow/arm. You could see a change of direction after Ledinecky hit it. I think they got the call wrong

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.