Aggie Volleyball - The Morrison Edition

147,340 Views | 1277 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Anchorhold
kwammer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
flintdragon said:

Jack Pearson said:

Ag4eva95 said:

You can't really judge those results outside of the Georgia and Auburn wins. They lost their all American setter and have a plan b from an NAIA school. While she's doing her job, she didn't see the court in those upsets. Not trying to take away from the amazing win we had, but without Stuckey, this is maybe a top 20 UF team
Bingo
yup, while their backup setter was fine, you can tell the set quality wasn't up to Stuckey's level. Top teams have the best setters. I believe when Kentucky won it all a few years ago, they had the best setter in the country.
same challenge tu is having this year. True freshman setter whose sets are a little off or to the wrong hitter a few points per set. its the difference between top 5 and top 20.
Ag4eva95
Said this last week. We lost a good one, more so for next year.
Ag4eva95
https://www.maxpreps.com/tx/mcallen/mcallen-memorial-mustangs/athletes/amare-hernandez/media/videos/?careerid=omef81m9oqitd&videoid=26ec3b0d-9178-4d44-a77b-842e45032745

There is some film on her, not super impressed. She looks more of a mid major athlete, maybe even D2.
Jack Pearson
AG
Yeah that is a little bizarre to me.
Wicked Good Ag
I have reffed a couple of her matches for Valley Venom...she is got some power behind the swings. I would not have put her on our radar but she can swing a heavy ball and if a preferred walk on she has a bigger upside then Faye had IMO on our roster the past two years. But I dont think she can be a six rotation OH passing if i recall correctly
Swollen Thumb
AG
Man, this thread came alive....Love it!

Really appreciate the insight from all of you regular contributors!
coloradoag69
AG
I've said a number of times that I'm not a volleyball expert, nor do I follow the recruiting. But my feeling watching the games this year on streaming services is that our women are much more athletic now than they were. I don't know if that is coaching or players or both, but I remember over the last few years that our ladies just looked undersized and slow compared to the other good teams we played.
Sargie
AG
Could be that we traded an OH the old staff had committed four years to for a similar OH without committing scholly money. And the staff obviously believes in their ability to train raw athletic talent.

Replacing Meuth's production next year would be really hard with an incoming frosh 6 Ro. More likely to come from the portal or a kid already on the team.

Also Wijay might be really good or the PAC might be really bad. Let's see how she does against Oregon or Stanford. That's the level our staff would be recruiting to compete against with four year commitment slots.
Ag4eva95
You're not wrong, but usually a top 2 recruit almost always produces. She would be starting for us, no doubt. She's legit, which is crazy because when I watched her play a few years ago I was questioning the commit. She grew and got stronger.
Wicked Good Ag
Sargie said:

Could be that we traded an OH the old staff had committed four years to for a similar OH without committing scholly money. And the staff obviously believes in their ability to train raw athletic talent.

Replacing Meuth's production next year would be really hard with an incoming frosh 6 Ro. More likely to come from the portal or a kid already on the team.

Also Wijay might be really good or the PAC might be really bad. Let's see how she does against Oregon or Stanford. That's the level our staff would be recruiting to compete against with four year commitment slots.

Bit confused as to who you are talking about

If you are talking about OH2 from last season that was by committee it seemed until Logan went down. Mia Johnson CiCi and Lexi all were moveable parts.
As for this season it is Muenoke and lately some Jeffery as Mueonke has struggled a bit in passing and hitting efficiency

But she was a Bird commit who stayed under the transition period where as Johnson and Faye and the NC setter left.

The difference to me is that under the previous staff nothing changed in terms of development and players left quite a bit.

But two players who were on roster last year and barely saw the court have made significant strides and the production of Logan has been the same or statistically better in just three rotations vs 6.

Sargie
AG
What does the Top 2 recruit comment refer to?
Sargie
AG
I was chiming in on the conversation about Wijay playing for USC now instead of the Ags next year.
Ag4eva95
Wijay was the #2 recruit in the nation according to prepdig. She is a legit 6 rotation player you can build a program around
Swollen Thumb
AG
BYU taking tu to the woodshed so far. 23-7. Woof
Chapa96
AG
Swollen Thumb said:

Aw shucks....hate to see that
TulaneAg
Chapa96 said:

Swollen Thumb said:

Aw shucks....hate to see that

So so sad
Swollen Thumb
AG
Well tu woke up and took control next 3 sets. I jinxed it. Forgive me.
Sargie
AG
Here is a quick look at Mizzou ahead of today's match…

Key Players
4 Jordan Iliff 6' 2" RS Jr - Terminal 6-rotation lefty right side leads the team in kills

2 Maya Sands L UNLV Transfer followed Sullivan from UNLV. Solid is serve receive and a plus defender.

27 Sierra Dudley 6' 1" S Fr Lightly recruited frosh setter running a 5/1. Beat out more experienced setters to win the job though in the Tennessee match they reverted to a setter by committee. Along with middles, weakest position.

12 Janet deMarrais 6' 1" OH So

8 Dilara Gedikoglu 5' 10" OH Gr Tulsa/Arizona

New Mizzou coach Dawn Sullivan has assembled a patchwork roster after the exodus of transfers with the staff change. There are some quality pieces but some big holes. They are obviously well coached - Sullivan built a winner at UNLV prior to accepting the Mizzou job. They serve well and transition to attack effectively in system with the setter in the back row. They get stuck with the setter in the front row due to their middles' effectiveness on the slide and setter inconsistency. Their block is underwhelming.

If we take care of the serve and pass game and our block shows up, we should prevail. If we let their serve affect us, we could be in for a long day. They played Tennessee tough in the first set mainly based on serving tough and passing well.

Fun fact - Ex-Aggie assistant Wendel Camargo is on staff.
taylorswift13_
Thanks for the insight Sargie!! I'm excited to see how we play at home and I hope there's no big win hangover! I hope Reed is packed as well!
Orome
AG
Goodness gracious we've got to have a better balance between aggressive serving and service errors
Gap
AG
We are really struggling with ourself in this 1st set.

18-12 Missouri
Chapa96
AG
Orome said:

Goodness gracious we've got to have a better balance between aggressive serving and service errors
6 serving errors.....goodness.
taylorswift13_
Gap
AG
Real weak 1st set. Missouri wins it 25-22.

Lots of issues to go around but the service errors were a killer. We had 7 service errors in set 1.
Ag4eva95
Ball control was an issue. Didn't look in sync
Gap
AG
Improving our serve receive would help us get straightened out today.
Gap
AG
Missouri starting to create some distance in set 2 now leading 15-11.

We are still having trouble getting out of our own way.
Ag4eva95
This is rough. We can score a bunch very quickly, but our first contact has to be better. You can tell the focus and energy aren't present today. Need to find it and quickly
Mark Fairchild
AG
Everything depends on first contact!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Gap
AG
Aggie run. We are up 17-16 now.
Gap
AG
Missouri leads 21-20
Gap
AG
Missouri leads 23-22
Mark Fairchild
AG
Service errors cleaned up, but setter needs to step it up.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Gap
AG
Awful finish to set 2 for us. Missouri wins the last 4 points, almost all Aggie miscues.

Set 2 to Missouri 25-22.
Anchorhold
Looks like we are playing ****-****-goose out there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.