Aggie Volleyball - The Morrison Edition

145,039 Views | 1269 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by Squadron7
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First group has us down 1-5 to start the 3rd set.
Ag4eva95
That's my thinking too. I didn't mind the attempt to change it up, but it clearly isn't working. Makes me think there is something going on behind the scenes between Lupyo and Jeffery
Ag4eva95
Just saw a clip of Jeffery. She looked visibly upset.
Gap
AG
A big run from the second group has us up 9-8. Timeout Georgia.
Gap
AG
13-16 Georgia. Really bad run here. Something has to change from what we have seen all day so far or we are gonna get swept.

Hoping something changes.
Ag4eva95
Something had to of happened with Jeffery and Lupyo. This doesn't make sense.
rkeesmith91
AG
Thx for these updates. Couldn't be there today
mpl35
AG
Meuth is hurting us. She also appears to be in terrible shape and is gasping for breath.
Gap
AG
At 17-21, we are bringing in Molly Brown for her first action today.
Ag4eva95
She's been fairly not good most of this season. Not sure what happened with her
Gap
AG
That was a disaster. Georgia wins 25-18 and sweeps.

6 sets in a row lost at home to teams below us in the standings.

Insanely low energy from start to finish.
Ag4eva95
This is a bad loss. RPI 72. Morrison needs to right the ship here. This team does not appear together at the moment. With Lupyo and Jeffery out for whatever reason, we are very thin
Swollen Thumb
AG
Not sure why, but this team just doesn't play well at home which is disappointing.

I think we are definitely trending up as a program but this team just isn't quite ready to take that big step. I think the FL win was an outlier that kind of got us all a little overly optimistic. In reality, we still lack a lot of pieces to play with the top programs.
Ag4eva95
Today though was sad. No effort or focus, outside a few. But you're spot on with not ready for the big stage. I think we're seeing the growing pains. The issue last year was consistency. We hit a wall last year where we lost a lot in a row. We need to snap this losing streak so we don't repeat years of past. Our setting isn't great. Underwood continues to be out of place. But Ledinecky and Muoneke had solid games!

Wicked Good Ag
The Missouri loss was tough but I thought ok we did some things well. Today was the worst outing I have seen in the Morrison era. We had no drive, we are great frontrunners but today we looked larthgic. Some people have said out RB defense is suspect but our floor defense is usually decent because of our block. Today was the first time I thought our RB defense was a factor in the loss.

Looking at the detailed box score they served at Muoneke like half of the time they served with her taking 36 of the 61 total receptions in serve receive and that wasnt an issue for us. It was when they went at the others that we passed poorly for the most part. Underwood looked rough in serve receive today and Mueth wasnt targeted until the end but passes were erratic when they served her.

That said I was a bit mystified with the lineup change bringing in Guinn and bypassing both Lupoto and Jeffery completely. Neither player looked injured and both took full warmup as normal. I get making a change but we were destoyed by their middle and outside and only had a few blocks. Lupoto at least can be on blocking, still working on the out of system swings but to me she is one to start if running a 6-2 and if she doesnt have it either blocking or offensively you can make a change.

This match also indicated to me we need to switch up the setters so Manning can set Lednicky if running a 6-2 if we are making a change.

But the biggest thing to me was our lack of production both offense and defense from the middle. We looked a step slow closing the block, maybe that is because we have to ac**** for Sophia Fischer out of the middle against Georgia but we never looked like our block was well formed at all and thus our floor defense looked haggard.

Meoneke looked really good offensively especially early and Lednicky looked good although not much attempts in set 1 IMO. But we looked just out of sync on the offensive side today and had no sense of urgency to me.

That loss will impact our RPI enough that we now have to steal not one but likely 2 match against the top teams in conference to even have a shot at hosting. Only a pure implosion likely keeps us outof the tourney. But to go 0-2 and 1-6 in sets at home isnt the way we should be heading direction wise.

Only one match next week but a huge one against Tennessee on the road. make adjustments and continue to play well on the road is what we can hope for
Swollen Thumb
AG
We don't set middle near enough IMO and when we do the connection hasn't been great. In fact, the timing/connection with the pins has also looked a little off recently. Seemed to be quite a few in-system possessions ending with tips and pokes. Offense just looks very predictable at the moment.
Ag4eva95
I've noticed our hitters are over running everything too. Muoneke/Ledineckyspecifically. I think with our poor passing and setting, maybe it makes sense to slow down the offense a bit. Our setters are wildly inconsistent, which is hurting everyone. But I like Manning a lot more than Nina. Wish we could see what a 5-1 looks like with Manning
Wicked Good Ag
Swollen Thumb said:

We don't set middle near enough IMO and when we do the connection hasn't been great. In fact, the timing/connection with the pins has also looked a little off recently. Seemed to be quite a few in-system possessions ending with tips and pokes. Offense just looks very predictable at the moment.

Over the course of SEC matches we set the middle just over five times a set. In the four wins prior to this weekend it was almost six but yesterday just over 4 so not much of a difference and honestly they hit negative overall for match which was unusual

Set location isn't great but we have adapted in season. Our game is to block effectively. There too two hitters went off yesterday because we were late and or ineffective blocking. And because of that we looked slow to the ball in the back especially RB.
I THINK THIS TEAM HAS A TON OF PROMISE We just have to dig down when behind which is not frequent.

There are 13 teams in the SEC. If we take out us we are 1-3 against the top six teams and 5-1 against the bottom six. We have a lot more matches against the top six to finish out the season than the bottom six.
I would like to see against Tennessee if not going well a switch between the setters in the 6-2 system and or in the Bama match at home following that match. Bama is bad so adjustments might be done without sacrificing much IMO
flintdragon
AG
Chapa96
AG
flintdragon said:

Whoah!!
Anchorhold
Hell yeah, multi-sport families!
Anchorhold
Time to get back in the win column.

Speaking of columns, through thursday's games, this team is second in the nation in blocks per set. Thanks, Ifenna, for leading the country in that category individually.

BTHOtennessee!
Ag4eva95
This team is not meshing right now. Meuth can't even get free balls in play
MUAG
Question from someone that knows nothing about VB, Why do Ags have so many service errors? TIA
MUAG
BiochemAg97
AG
MUAG said:

Question from someone that knows nothing about VB, Why do Ags have so many service errors? TIA

Staff has been working on being more aggressive on the serves from beginning of the season.

Big lobbing serves give other team plenty of time to set up for a kill.

Ag4eva95
Lost in 3 in a discouraging match. Tennessee is very good, but we barely looked competitive. Passing again was the big problem. Blocking was also a big problem today. We got tooled like crazy on the right side.

Hope Morrison can right this ship. This isn't going to hurt our resume, but we need to get back on track if we want to make NCAAs
MUAG
But on a service error have no chance to score. Just watched a service error when other team had match point,
MUAG
B$Weigem
AG
15 service errors against Tenn today. Totally unacceptable especially since most our of our serves are not even hit hard or aggressive. Tenn only had 3 for the match. We can't afford to give the number 12 team in the country 12 free points on the road.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
MUAG said:

15us 3 tenn!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Ag4eva95
It's not even that, they are served right into the bottom of the net. We aren't even letting Tennessee second guess it. Serving long is alright. Serving into the net is not good volleyball. We're missing bad. It's terrible when you open the match with a missed serve from your 5th grad senior. That was the moment I knew it would be a long day
kwammer
Service errors didnt help but it was a lot more than that.
Just not nearly at the level of a Tennessee yet....and that's ok.
Goal is still in front of this team. Get to the tourney. Upgrade talent via recruiting and portal. Improve as a program.
Gap
AG
What was up with Lednicky today? I didn't watch. She played in all 3 sets but had only 2 kills.

Total kills today:
Mueth 10
Muoneke 10
Cos-Okpalla 6
Lopuyo 5
Perkins 4
Lednicky 2
Manning 1
flintdragon
AG
Not sure about Lednicky. I only watched the end of the 1st set and noticed she was visibly frustrated. Probably worst game of her career. Do teams sell out to stop her?
Ag4eva95
100% yes. Our passing is so bad we can never set the middle. Meuth has been fairly terrible lately, making her someone you can leave one blocker on. She's regressed big time offensively, making her almost a non threat. Muoneke has been solid lately. Honestly been the only consistent thing to this offense. She's earning her kills. So that only gives us two reliable hitters

drumbeat10
Setting from Niza looked really off today as well, and Lednicky only gets to hit off her.

Also Tennessee has an all American lefty oppo they practice against every day so they're a bit more used to defending a lefty than some other teams that don't have one or don't have a good one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.