Aggie Volleyball - The Morrison Edition

145,037 Views | 1269 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by Squadron7
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag4eva95 said:

I can see a few players leaving.

Guinn
Pearson
Nisa
Lupyo(although she's been pretty solid offensively of late)

25 is THE class, but I don't want to have to wait another year to see growth. I think they will hit the transfer portal hard to upgrade the roster. You can see something isn't clicking, I really do think there is drama behind the scenes.
Why do you see those players leaving ?

Just curious

Guinn I can see she hasnt gotten real playing time in two years and when she did she didnt make the most of it

All the others play...

We need a OH who can pass nails and two other DS that can pass for 2024
Ag4eva95
From what I have seen the last year, Pearson and Lupyo are projects with a long way to go. The only thing Pearson has going for her is she's fast as lightning. Lupyo is tall with no volleyball IQ. Guinn has had her opportunities, just doesn't seem like she will ever break through. Haven't seen anything to indicate the ability to contribute at a P5 D1 level. Nisa has some decent ball control with her hands, but she cost us a handful of points every set just purely because she can't play defense. Considering she's a junior, I see her transferring to a small D1 and running a 5-1. If she were a freshmen, I wouldn't be as concerned due to catching up to the speed of D1 ball. But she's a junior, practically a senior with this season ending. She has so much needing improvement with very little time to catch up before next year.

These are just opinions. This roster needs a serious upgrade at 2 positions to make a run next season(OH and DS/L(as you have previously stated), hopefully a setter too)). There is a good group to build around and the coaching staff has so many connections to bring in transfers. This roster needs leadership and energy. I'm glad Hogan is coming back as she seems to have qualities that Morrison and stuff love. I give her a hard time, but she beams with a great lovable attitude. Something this team deeply needs from others.
Anchorhold
Alabama libero Victoria Schmer kicks off the portal season.
Shucky
We played terrible and won the first set by 10. Man. That was the ugliest vball I've seen all season.
Ag4eva95
Ags win set 1 25-15. The new lineup out there seems to be meshing a bit. Curious to see if this will last
Ag4eva95
We're missing a starting libero, OH, and middle. Lots of pieces in different spots. I'll take the win. It looked better than it was been looking
Artimus Gordon
Aggies take set 2. 25-22

Guinn getting playing time. Cos apalko & muonoke show nothing on the line score
Ag4eva95
They aren't playing
Artimus Gordon
That's what I was alluding to.
Thought someone might know why!
Ag4eva95
I really think there is drama behind the scenes….. have a friend that coaches Muonekes younger sister and that was an issue for them.
jt2hunt
AG
Please explain?
Ag4eva95
I've coached volleyball a very long time, so you learn to tell the signs of just an injury bug vs drama. Even prior to the recent injuries, you can watch body language and interactions on/off court to see something isn't right. This isn't necessarily a unified group, you can tell it's divided.
jt2hunt
AG
Do you believe it will not exist next season?
Ag4eva95
I believe drama will always be there. But there are players who let it affect their play and players who can leave it off the court. I don't think it will impact them as much next year with Morrison getting a full year to set expectations and bring in some new blood that wants to win. Next year there will hopefully be more depth, allowing people to have to compete for their spots and not expect to start
jt2hunt
AG
What about set 3?
Ag4eva95
What do you mean about set 3?
Wicked Good Ag
This team doesnt have a collective enthusiam that most teams do. i dont know if that is because of behind the scenes or soomethng else but I didnt see it much collectively under Bird as well although certian players were more entergetic and excited then others. We beat a not so good team today without our best lineup on the floor from the course of the season...I dont know why the changes have occurred over the last few matches but we were stagnant in our streak of 7 of 8 losses.

I was surprised to see Lexi play and she had her moments but had a bad run for a brief period to make not such a solid stat line but did ok for 2 1/2 sets in the match

I hope we can pull it together heading into the NCAA with a win against Bama on the road.

drumbeat10
The last game they mentioned about injuries to cos and underwood. Didn't hear anything specific about Muoneke tonight.

Glad to get the win, hope next year we can do a better job staying healthy through the end of the season. Hopeful we will make the tournament but not expecting to go very far.
BiochemAg97
AG
Ag4eva95 said:

I've coached volleyball a very long time, so you learn to tell the signs of just an injury bug vs drama. Even prior to the recent injuries, you can watch body language and interactions on/off court to see something isn't right. This isn't necessarily a unified group, you can tell it's divided.

Was watching Cos-Okpalla after the match. She went up into the stands for the War Hymn like everyone else, but they had a close up of her at one point and she looked bored/just going through the motions. Then she quickly left the court and went to the locker room while most of the team was dancing around to Hot Time in Austin.

It was interesting to see most of the team hugging Meuth after that, like saying goodbye. A bit surprising given we have one game left and hopefully a tournament appearance.
BiochemAg97
AG
Lexi's bad stretch was brutal. At one point in the third set, after a kill, I looked up and was surprised to see she had 8 kills in the match already. She could be a solid attacker for us with a bit more consistency.
Ag4eva95
That's some of the stuff I have observed too and have been alluding to since SEC play started. Or if you watch who gets a kill, you can tell who is happy for that person vs who isn't happy for their teammate. Or if one girl gets a kill, she cheers for her self and is suddenly super happy. But if her teammate right next to her gets a kill, she barely will recognize her teammates amazing experience.

Hogan is by far the emotional leader when it comes to this. She lifts up her teammates during bad times and cheers everyone on during the good. While she isn't the super star, every team needs a Lauren Hogan.

sharpdressedman
Regarding potential drama, coach needs portal help to be more competitive next year, and players will have to leave to make room on the scholarship roster. Perhaps he had "the talk" with some of them, and they are discouraged or angry. I don't anticipate coach will sacrifice next season just to wait for 2025 recruits.
Gap
AG
Regular season finale today at Alabama. Alabama is 0-17 in the SEC. Bama wins set 1 by a score of 25-13.
Gap
AG
Ags answer winning set 2 25-23.
Gap
AG
Bama wins set 3 23-25.

I think we have to win these next 2 sets to be talking about making the NCAA tourney.
B$Weigem
AG
Serving errors are inexcusable.
flintdragon
AG
I don't think my mind can take this and the football game at the same time...

How are we not killing bama?
B$Weigem
AG
14 service errors in 4 sets
Ag4eva95
How embarrassing, this ended the season for sure. Bama only conference win
B$Weigem
AG
Alabama's only conference win. Alabama rpi 225! Will kill our rpi.

Poor job of coaching on not improving our serving this season.

We need to get a setter and Libero from portal. Our back line is way too slow.
TulaneAg
That was tough to watch. Not sure how this same team beats Fla on the road and gets rolled by a winless Bama in a must have game. Disappointing for sure.
Wicked Good Ag
I think we are still in but I really don't care anymore. This team won't win a first round game the way they are playing.

No reason to lose to a winless Bama in conference. Even on the road. They don't want to play as a team the second half of the season. What was our record in the final ten matches 2-8??
Ag4eva95
I didn't get to watch, but kept up with the stats. What happened today??
Wicked Good Ag
Ag4eva95 said:

I didn't get to watch, but kept up with the stats. What happened today??

Watched Aggie football and more importantly Michigan Ohio State but looking at box score we didn't play defense and Logan had a subpar game. Also Lexi did not as well assuming in the first set before Muenoke came in.

No reason to lose this game. We turned the losing streak around just to make it worse. I think we get in but I don't think we deserve to with our last ten matches that used to matter a lot more in committees eyes until recent years
B$Weigem
AG
Dies it matter. Probably get sent to Austin

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.