Aggie Volleyball - The Morrison Edition

145,047 Views | 1269 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Squadron7
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
as a parent of a setter, I say good riddance! It's such an ambiguous call and different refs have different interpretations. Here is what I've heard from refs: must see or hear double contact (not just spin), forward/backward rolls are ok, no doubles will be called unless egregious (from PNQ). Some just never call it. Others call it so tight that setters become frustrated. Not every setter is a superstar D1 setter.

In the end, it's just a bad set so the team is already penalized with a less than ideal attack.
Shucky
Ally Batenhorst is in the portal. Man, would that be a breath of fresh air for us. HJV kid, but maybe she could cross over ...
Jack Pearson
AG
flintdragon said:

as a parent of a setter, I say good riddance! It's such an ambiguous call and different refs have different interpretations. Here is what I've heard from refs: must see or hear double contact (not just spin), forward/backward rolls are ok, no doubles will be called unless egregious (from PNQ). Some just never call it. Others call it so tight that setters become frustrated. Not every setter is a superstar D1 setter.

In the end, it's just a bad set so the team is already penalized with a less than ideal attack.
Disagree. Great hands is what sets great setters apart. This just dumbs down the position and will just usher out all the under 6ft setters out there. If you want to get rid of it in the under 14-15U fine, but by 16U an above either you have the hands or you dont. The continuous play thing is ridiculous. Would be like in baseball getting rid of walks and to bring out at tee after 4 balls so the hitter can take a rip. After all, everyone just wants to see homeruns and big hits smh
flintdragon
AG
Jack Pearson said:

flintdragon said:

Disagree. Great hands is what sets great setters apart. This just dumbs down the position and will just usher out all the under 6ft setters out there. If you want to get rid of it in the under 14-15U fine, but by 16U an above either you have the hands or you dont. The continuous play thing is ridiculous. Would be like in baseball getting rid of walks and to bring out at tee after 4 balls so the hitter can take a rip. After all, everyone just wants to see homeruns and big hits smh
I'm not saying you are wrong in your opinion at all but I'm calling out the impossible enforcement of the rule that exists today. Different refs call it different ways and I've heard from many a coach wanting the rule just removed. Different areas of the country seem to lean different directions. Even NCAA D1 you can see many doubles not called. Unless it is an obvious double contact. You have entire fan sections calling for doubles with no call from the ref.

It's just a bad set. Ask hitters if they would like to hit a spinny janky set or a perfect set with tempo, arc, location. The good setters would still be evaluated above the rest. Do you penalize a libero for shanking a serve receive? The penalty is already there as your team will probably have to free ball it over.
Swollen Thumb
AG
flintdragon said:

Jack Pearson said:

flintdragon said:

I'm not saying you are wrong in your opinion at all but I'm calling out the impossible enforcement of the rule that exists today. Different refs call it different ways and I've heard from many a coach wanting the rule just removed. Different areas of the country seem to lean different directions. Even NCAA D1 you can see many doubles not called. Unless it is an obvious double contact. You have entire fan sections calling for doubles with no call from the ref.

It's just a bad set. Ask hitters if they would like to hit a spinny janky set or a perfect set with tempo, arc, location. The good setters would still be evaluated above the rest. Do you penalize a libero for shanking a serve receive? The penalty is already there as your team will probably have to free ball it over.
You all know much more than me, but as someone who knew very little about the sport until my 2 daughters started playing club 4-5 years ago, the double call has always been a head-scratcher for the reasons you mention. A better analogy would be a QB who throws a wobbly duck of a pass. Should that be a penalty?

I mean, by definition, a double isn't even an actual double hit....it's just a set with spin on it. One handed tips or tip sets that have spin aren't considered doubles. It has never made sense to me.

Now, something that DOES give an advantage (and is hardly ever called in club unless egregious) is when a setter basically brings the ball down to their nose and throws it back up which should be a lift. I've been told this "style" of set is allowed in beach and so now most club refs are letting it go (UIL refs seem less tolerant). Anyway, if anyone is worried about dumbing down setting, I would start there.
Wicked Good Ag
Set location and tempo are still paramount to the game.

If you look at the rules changes over the years it is to increase play sometimes at the expense of safety honestly. HS tends to be more safety conscious.
I hate the centerline rule for club to be honest. I also would rather a setter be able to bring the ball back to her side if it has not completely crossed the net where that is not allowed in club but is in college and HS assuming no legal touch by the opponent to make an illegal back row block
Jack Pearson
AG
The reason you don't have many 6'4 setters is because they aren't athletic enough or don't have good hands to keep from doubling. This rule is a going to kill the non 6 ft setters because now you can take any giant who has ugly hands and force them to set. Girls that have spent years perfecting the skill are having that all taken away.

I guess I don't know why all of the sudden referees have such a hard time calling it. It's just the easy way out.
Jack Pearson
AG
flintdragon said:

Jack Pearson said:

flintdragon said:

To answer your question, yes a libero is punished for shanking a serve receive by getting benched and have a poor passing rating. Sometimes they are bailed out by ultra athletic setters who can set out of system and still run an offense without doubling. Now a setter who can't set without doubling gets a free pass. I've seen it time and time again where a team running a 6-2 who has one setter who can't set without doubling and the team has to shift to a 5-1 thus rewarding the setter with better hands.

QBs that throw wobbly passes throw more interceptions and get replaced by someone who throws a good ball.
BiochemAg97
AG
Jack Pearson said:

flintdragon said:

Jack Pearson said:

flintdragon said:

To answer your question, yes a libero is punished for shanking a serve receive by getting benched and have a poor passing rating. Sometimes they are bailed out by ultra athletic setters who can set out of system and still run an offense without doubling. Now a setter who can't set without doubling gets a free pass. I've seen it time and time again where a team running a 6-2 who has one setter who can't set without doubling and the team has to shift to a 5-1 thus rewarding the setter with better hands.

QBs that throw wobbly passes throw more interceptions and get replaced by someone who throws a good ball.

So a setter that consistently sets good without spin on the ball will get rewarded with more playing time, even though they aren't getting a penalty called, similar to a libero or a QB?
Jack Pearson
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Jack Pearson said:

flintdragon said:

Jack Pearson said:

flintdragon said:

So a setter that consistently sets good without spin on the ball will get rewarded with more playing time, even though they aren't getting a penalty called, similar to a libero or a QB?
That is the case right now, it wont be the case after this rule goes in effect. Next year, the setter that is 6'5 that gets the ball in close enough spots but cant set without doubling will be starting because she can also "block". The 5'8" setter with great hands is out of a job....then switches to libero and takes liberos job. The end.
Swollen Thumb
AG
If a setter can't set without doubling, then I doubt they would have the touch necessary to hit spots consistently which would hurt the offense, just like a QB who can't throw a good ball. So I think your fears are overstated. Noone is going to put a bad setter out there who is tall just because doubles are no longer called.

The real skill in setting is getting to the ball and putting it on the money. That takes good hands and touch. That isn't changing.
Jack Pearson
AG
Swollen Thumb said:

If a setter can't set without doubling, then I doubt they would have the touch necessary to hit spots consistently which would hurt the offense, just like a QB who can't throw a good ball. So I think your fears are overstated. Noone is going to put a bad setter out there who is tall just because doubles are no longer called.

The real skill in setting is getting to the ball and putting it on the money. That takes good hands and touch. That isn't changing.
Watched A&Ms 25 setter recruit last weekend in Austin. She had a couple of doubles called and probably should have had more called, She does not have great hands but is 6'2 and left handed so this rule only helps her out going forward. Before this rule I really thought she might end up as a lednicky RS but this rule changes all of that. Only the beginning of this changing the game. Watch and see.
B$Weigem
AG
Lauren Hogan has taken a medical retirement and will not be back. We will miss her energy.
Harry Dunne
Swollen Thumb said:

I agree with this. It will change the game some, but bad setters won't all of the sudden become acceptable setters.
Skull Session
Was she the one hobbling around on crutches during the recognition for grades ceremony at halftime of the Missouri game last night?
B$Weigem
AG
yes
taylorswift13_
And we quickly sign another Libero! Tatum Thomas out of Grand Canyon, starting Libero who had 391 digs this past season, 3.62 digs per set on a tournament team!

https://instagr.am/p/C2xnPXvP0au
flintdragon
AG
How are we grading this off-season so far? Not sure if any more are coming in but I count: 4 transfers (setter, OH, 2 liberos) and 1 freshman OH.

I know we are waiting for the 2025 class to really start cooking but I would like to see this next year as a springboard of some sort. So many years in a row now that started off well but petered out though with Morrison, it fell apart later in conference.
Ag4eva95
I really worry about OH. The Pepperdine transfer is coming off a not so great year, but was WCC freshmen of the year. OH2, really curious to see how the current team develops.

Think there is an upgrade at setter, just not sure how significant. Should be better defensively and ball control wise. Waak loves to set middles. We greatly upgraded at libero, which I think will ease the pin hitters to contribute so much. We will actually be able to set our middles in system more.

Overall, I'd give it a B+. Addressed some key areas.

Thoughts?
Swollen Thumb
AG
flintdragon said:

How are we grading this off-season so far? Not sure if any more are coming in but I count: 4 transfers (setter, OH, 2 liberos) and 1 freshman OH.

I know we are waiting for the 2025 class to really start cooking but I would like to see this next year as a springboard of some sort. So many years in a row now that started off well but petered out though with Morrison, it fell apart later in conference.
Unsure about the overall talent level (meaning I truly don't know enough to comment), but in terms of positions it seems Morrison is addressing what some here identified as immediate needs....mainly libero/DS and OH. It will be hard to replace Mueth/Muoneke at OH although both were liabilities on the back row. Assume those he's targeting fit his style/system better and allow him to get the most out of the overall talent? Hopefully a few can serve aggressively with better consistency . That along with even a slightly better first-touch should improve the team, but we are losing two big arms. On a related note, chemistry might be much better!!
Swollen Thumb
AG
As an aside, our club's 18's played Valley Vipers at a tourny a couple of weeks ago and I was told Amare Hernadez really stood out. She's undersized at 5'11'', but has real juice and a big arm. I know most here see her as a depth player, which might be the case, but was good to hear that she was turning some heads.
kwammer
agree. Not enthused about OH going into next year
Jack Pearson
AG
Swollen Thumb said:

As an aside, our club's 18's played Valley Vipers at a tourny a couple of weeks ago and I was told Amare Hernadez really stood out. She's undersized at 5'11'', but has real juice and a big arm. I know most here see her as a depth player, which might be the case, but was good to hear that she was turning some heads.
She was playing American. Not many D1 much less P5 players playing American level at 18s.

https://results.advancedeventsystems.com/event/PTAwMDAwMzI5Nzc90/clubs/14236/standings
flintdragon
AG
Jack Pearson said:

Swollen Thumb said:

She was playing American. Not many D1 much less P5 players playing American level at 18s.

https://results.advancedeventsystems.com/event/PTAwMDAwMzI5Nzc90/clubs/14236/standings

I'm surprised they played American. Thought their top teams usually played USA level and would play down to Liberty to try to secure an easier bid. American is almost impossible to win a bid (only 1 bid to give).

To be fair though, they are down in RGV area. There aren't a lot of Open teams down there.
Swollen Thumb
AG
This was at MLK Invitational, not Lonestar, but understand your point.
Jack Pearson
AG
Swollen Thumb said:

This was at MLK Invitational, not Lonestar, but understand your point.
What is strange about that is I only see their 17s in that tournament.

Does she go by Mia because thats the only hernandez I see on the roster so not sure she was even there? Maybe her sister?

https://results.advancedeventsystems.com/event/PTAwMDAwMzMzNTI90/clubs/14236/standings/70971
Swollen Thumb
AG
Maybe it was Lonestar then. Sorry, I was just trying to pass along some compliments I heard about a commit.
Wicked Good Ag
Bird elevated to Omaha Supernovas (new pro league) head coach after some "restructuring"
Faustus
Pulled from another site, but since it's from the A&M Volleyball Twitter account I assume it's cool to post:

ProwessBold
AG
Go get 'em girls!!!
bevokilla
AG
Does anyone know if the public can buy tickets to the spring game vs Baylor? I don't see the option to purchase tickets on the website.
Wicked Good Ag
Usually free for spring game
ProwessBold
AG
Is it an actual game Friday or will they play 5 sets regardless of outcomes?
drumbeat10
I think that is just a coach's decision, but typically they play 4 or 5 sets in all the single game spring exhibitions I have been to.
rhp
AG
I cuoldn't make it Friday. How did we do against Baylor?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.