******* Official Cowboys draft 2024 *******

64,832 Views | 977 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Macarthur
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So who's everyone's targets for round 2?

Hoping one of Cooper, Brooks, Wilson, Newton, Coleman, Smith or Mckinstry, Powers-Johnson falls to us.

Would be ideal to fill a need with Cooper or Wilson in the 2nd. Then in the 3rd draft a RB and C (Brooks or Benson/ Frazier).
Tksymm7
AG
The only two guys that you listed I think have a chance of falling to us are Smith and Wilson. I feel confident Newton, McKinstry, Cooper (both of them lol) and Coleman will all be gone within the first 10-15 picks in the second. It's why I would really like Dallas to try and jump up between 10-15 and try to hold onto their pick at 24. Go get Braden Fiske and then see if you can get Wilson or maybe even Lassiter/Tampa.
bonfarr
AG
I have no clue what we are doing at RB since we just have a bunch of jags on the roster so I want us to draft that need in 2nd and then go IOL with the first pick in the 3rd.
Unemployed
AG
Grapesoda2525
I've been wanting us to draft a good rb since forever. We never seem to do it with the exception of zeke. Sorry everyone, but pollard sucks now and was awful last year.
Vince Blake
I think an interesting name to look for in round 2 is Malachi Corley out of Western Kentucky. He's the only WR they brought in on a 30 visit. He gets comped to Deebo Samuel frequently.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Saban was awesome.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't think there's an RB anywhere near worth taking in the second round. Not with how this draft has shaken out with how many QBs, WRs and OTs were taken in the first round, there's too many good defenders to pass up. If Brooks was healthy he would probably be the one, but he's coming off of a knee injury and I would rather not do the Jerry special and draft an injured player.
PooDoo
AG
PatAg said:

PooDoo said:

Voch Lombardi is the best OL evaluator on Cowboys YouTube. Guyton is the LAST guy they wanted the Cowboys to pick.

He's trying to be so positive about the pick in this video, it's hilarious

lol

Open to suggestions who do you like better?
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Tksymm7 said:

I don't think there's an RB anywhere near worth taking in the second round. Not with how this draft has shaken out with how many QBs, WRs and OTs were taken in the first round, there's too many good defenders to pass up. If Brooks was healthy he would probably be the one, but he's coming off of a knee injury and I would rather not do the Jerry special and draft an injured player.
I think there are some quality RBs in the draft that in the past would be labelled 2nd or 3rd rounders. Allen from Wisconsin can play ball, Lynch from USC can too. It is my preference to keep working on the OL then LB then get a RB in the 4th. That said, there will be some stud RBs in the draft in 2025 with the two back from Penn State, the Okie State kid, Michigan kid, etc
jr15aggie
AG
PooDoo said:

PatAg said:

PooDoo said:

Voch Lombardi is the best OL evaluator on Cowboys YouTube. Guyton is the LAST guy they wanted the Cowboys to pick.

lol

I like listening to Voch from time to time. I can tell you that he was PISSED about the Tyler Smtih pick. He was pissed when it happened and he was ranting about it in his post draft coverage. He's wrong plenty of times.

Cowboys will get the benefit of the doubt with Guyton, especially when they got him after trading down.
jr15aggie
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I think the problem is that all of those teams ahead of Dallas that went offense Round 1 are thinking the same thing... "we'd like to get a defender in the 2nd".

Getting another offensive player here makes a lot of sense. I'd love Cooper but not holding by breath. One of the top Centers, Brooks, or a WR would make a lot of sense.

I could see us going back to back defense with our 3rd rounders. Sweat might be a legitimate target... top 50 talent but 7th round dumb assery.
Vince Blake
Sweat may be slipping into Day 3. Concerns over his ability to control his weight and then the character issues.

Depending on the way the board falls, I think the targets are LB, RB, and a rotational DL piece. I think the interior DL is currently Osa and Mazi?
Peter Klaven
AG
Give me Sweat or P Wilson at 56, and then some combination of Trey Benson, Braelon Allen, Tez Walker, and Malachi Corley at 73 and 87 to take care of RB1 and WR3.
Macarthur
I'm seeing some say that sweat may be falling and you might could get him in the 3rd. Concerns about his weight and the dui thing.
Craigy
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

zgolfz85 said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

You'd think by looking at the Cowboys war room they just drafted Harrison. Jones family loves putting on a show for the cameras.

The eagles vs boys war room footage is telling. Eagles look polished and cohesive…boys look like a bunch of Jerry yes men

Also filled their war room with a bunch of Jerry's grandkids literally sitting at the table.
I cannot believe adults cannot see the Cowboys for what they really are.
Rex Racer
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I've been wanting us to draft a good rb since forever. We never seem to do it with the exception of zeke. Sorry everyone, but pollard sucks now and was awful last year.

He is also gone.
PooDoo
AG
jr15aggie said:

PooDoo said:

PatAg said:

PooDoo said:

lol

I like listening to Voch from time to time. I can tell you that he was PISSED about the Tyler Smtih pick. He was pissed when it happened and he was ranting about it in his post draft coverage. He's wrong plenty of times.

Cowboys will get the benefit of the doubt with Guyton, especially when they got him after trading down.

He was pissed because he liked Nakobe Dean and George Pickens and thought those filled areas of need he said they'd be able to plug Tyler Smith in at guard just wasn't sure his technique or penalties justified being a 1st rounder. He always said his power and violence would translate well in the NFL.
If you watch his breakdown of Guyton you can see he has horrible technique and looks like he has no clue what to do with his size and a guy that size should finish his blocks way better.
FFWD to 2:00
PooDoo
AG
Macarthur said:

I'm seeing some say that sweat may be falling and you might could get him in the 3rd. Concerns about his weight and the dui thing.

Heard Sweat was 390 for his 30 visit.
PooDoo
AG
Peter Klaven said:

Give me Sweat or P Wilson at 56, and then some combination of Trey Benson, Braelon Allen, Tez Walker, and Malachi Corley at 73 and 87 to take care of RB1 and WR3.

I think there are better options than Allen in the 3rd. Not running the 40 at the combine or pro day are red flags. I really like Ray Davis and Marshawn Loyd way better in the 5th. Jaylen Wright is nice too but I think 3rd might be too high for RB with our needs.
Peter Klaven
AG
Meh, I'm guessing his ankle wasn't quite 100% and he knew he'd run a 4.7. I'd be good with wright as well at 87.
Agristotle
AG
reportedly, during his visits, Sweat just laughed and shrugged when he was asked about losing weight. Combine that with his history and he is off the board in a lot of draft rooms.
mbl12
AG
My hope is one of the LB falls in their lap at 56, but I would also love Benson there
PooDoo
AG
Wow, the NFL must be trembling over the CTE lawsuits to allow this.

Macarthur
I will admit that I haven't studied Guyton, in depth, but someone explain to me how a guy has given up 2 sacks in over 1000 snaps in pass pro and has poor technique.
DannyDuberstein
AG
PooDoo said:

Wow, the NFL must be trembling over the CTE lawsuits to allow this.

Gonna look weird as F, but I do think this style is where things are headed. Just gonna take that first wave of dudes that value their brains over looking like dorks
DannyDuberstein
AG
Macarthur said:

I will admit that I haven't studied Guyton, in depth, but someone explain to me how a guy has given up 2 sacks in over 1000 snaps in pass pro and has poor technique.

Right. The video above focused on 2 shortcomings - 1) raw on use of his hands which is probably the most teachable aspect of LT and 2) finishing blocks with a mean streak - again, teachable. But he's got the most critical attributes which is why those numbers are what they are.
jr15aggie
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Macarthur said:

Right. The video above focused on 2 shortcomings - 1) raw on use of his hands which is probably the most teachable aspect of LT and 2) finishing blocks with a mean streak - again, teachable. But he's got the most critical attributes which is why those numbers are what they are.

Somebody tell the coaches that NOT waiting 1/2 second to move after the ball is snapped IS a teachable skill for Mazi Smith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think Mazi may need some training from Man on Fire Denzel Washington. "You are a prisoner of the LOS until the hut-hut sets you free"
shack009
AG
PooDoo said:

Peter Klaven said:

I think there are better options than Allen in the 3rd. Not running the 40 at the combine or pro day are red flags. I really like Ray Davis and Marshawn Loyd way better in the 5th. Jaylen Wright is nice too but I think 3rd might be too high for RB with our needs.
If you could tell me right now that we could get Ray Davis or Braelon Allen in the 4th, I think I would do that.

My suspicion is the Cowboys want Benson or Brooks in the 2nd. I think I'd be happy with Benson in the 2nd, but he probably won't be there. Be prepared for 4 months of "our doctor did Brooks' surgery and it went better than any surgery ever had before."
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, Brooks is right up Jerry's alley for a 2nd.
jr15aggie
AG
This is the most excited I've been for Day 2 of the draft in a long time. I'm still grinning that we came into the draft hoping a trade down would give us our 4th rounder back... and we ended up with an early 3rd rounder instead.

The only thing I'm struggling with is the fact that usually on Day 2 the names I'm focusing on are not the names Dallas is (or are names that will be called prior to Dallas's picks). So I'm trying to be open minded about who we get, but man on man, we need immediate contributors/starters with at least 2 of 3 picks here. Not easy to do.
Grapesoda2525
The 2nd round is always when Jerruh likes to get weird and pick someone random.
jr15aggie
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

The 2nd round is always when Jerruh likes to get weird and pick someone random.

The 2nd round is where we sit around and wait, which typically means the guys we really want get picked. Last year wasn't a great example because we weren't going to get up that high, but we really coveted Sam LaPorta and thought we could sit still and he would sneak by the other teams. Not so much!

A couple of years ago we were picking in the early 2nd round... we liked Tyson Campbell (CB) and Jevon Holland (S). We sat still and ended up with Boss Man.

I'm not so sure I want to jump up so far that we forfeit that #72 pick we just got, but we do have more ammo now.... if there are a couple guys we really want, don't just sit there and let other teams gobble them up. Do something about it!
Vince Blake
Why Jerry? Just shut the hell up…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.