******* Official Cowboys draft 2024 *******

64,812 Views | 977 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Macarthur
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Peter Klaven said:

At this point I say let's ship our a late rounder for a guy like Damion pierce or Khalil herbert

Use a late round on Ainias Smith and line him up in the backfield on 3rd down.
TyHolden
AG
RBs are expendable these days. Grab 1 in the late rounds. 1 or 2 off the waiver wire. Just beef up your OL.
bonfarr
AG
Didn't do squat to help the WR position so CeeDee gets a little more leverage
zgolfz85
AG
Hard to find many lists that had Marist as a top 10 LB in this draft.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Once you've seen the numbers on draft pick hit rate beyond the top 20ish picks or so, you really stop worrying about who your team drafts in rounds 2-7. It's just a complete crapshoot ESPECIALLY in the third round and beyond. By about pick 70 all pundit rankings cease to have any statistically significant meaning. The guy Mel Kiper ranks 90th is, statistically, just about as likely to be a multi year starter/pro bowler/all pro/etc. as the 190th pick.

It's similar to star rankings in college. 5 stars and top 100 4 stars are MUCH more likely to be good players than everyone else, but 4 stars below the national top 100-150 or so quickly start becoming crapshoots. Once you get outside the national top 250 or so there's almost no correlation at all anymore.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TyHolden
AG
Ian Rapport just said Payton Wilson is literally missing an ACL....why he dropped.
zgolfz85
AG
Feels like we're gonna have to trade to get a 4th or another 5th round pick
PooDoo
AG
TyHolden said:

Ian Rapport just said Payton Wilson is literally missing an ACL....why he dropped.
Said the Steelers are comfortable with that at this pick because Hines Ward and Greg Lloyd were also missing ACL's.
Woods Ag
AG
The top 8 RBs are all the same caliber.

We can still get one of them.

I'm meh on this draft. Really only like the Beebe pick. The rest are meh
Peter Klaven
AG
Curious what you would've done differently?
TyHolden
AG
PooDoo said:

TyHolden said:

Said the Steelers are comfortable with that at this pick because Hines Ward and Greg Lloyd were also missing ACL's.
yeah, one contract guy. seeing that jerrah is 90, you'd think he'd be ok with that.
shack009
AG
PooDoo said:

TyHolden said:

You can't tear what you don't got.
PooDoo
AG
Day 2
Pick 56: Western Michigan DE Marshawn Kneeland

Pick 73: K-State Cooper Beebe

Pick 87: Notre Dame LB Marist Liufau

Ag Natural
AG
Two thoughts.

One, the Cowboys have earned my trust when it comes to draft evaluation. They are tops in the league in drafted probowlers over the last 6 or 7 years.

Two, teams like the Eagles and Ravens get their knobs slobbed constantly for "building front to back", "focusing on the lines". Well, the Cowboys have been doing just that for a while now and many Cowboy fans always hate their picks. Pay attention. A draft including OT, DE, OG, and LB historically has proven to be a solid draft. You can get RBs from any round.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I like the Liufau pick a lot actually. Dudes film has him really moving sideline to sideline well and he seems to find himself in the right place at the right time quite often
Macarthur
I have zero issues w what they've done. Quite pleased.
TyHolden
AG
Frank Gore Jr is out there? I thought his dad was still playing. That dude was a warrior. He had so many injuries and just kept going. Get that dude.
Southlake
Fairly underwhelming draft for Dallas compared to the splashes the other NFC East teams made.

But at least they made some good off season pick ups…oh, wait
Ag Natural
AG
Southlake said:

Fairly underwhelming draft for Dallas compared to the splashes the other NFC East teams made.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The Cowboys "fans" will never give credit for solid choices.
zgolfz85
AG
Ag Natural said:

Southlake said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The Cowboys "fans" will never give credit for solid choices.

That's just your opinion there guy. The other poster is allowed to think they're not solid choices. How about not be a dick and judge someone else's "fandom."
BMX Bandit
Macarthur said:

Same here, solid picks.

Seems like building a base for future, not the "all in" Jerry mentioned. Nothing wrong with that approach, but doesn't bode well for next season or two
Vince Blake
I like what they have done with this draft. They have solidified the O Line, got a rotational DE to help replace Fowler and Armstrong and a possible Demarcus Lawrence successor. Dane Brugler tweeted that the Cowboys first 3 picks were all in his top 40.

I would like to see them move up and grab Jaylen Wright or Braelon Allen. They are going to have comp picks coming out the nose next year, so they can use some next year late round picks to move up now.
Tksymm7
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Macarthur said:

Same here, solid picks.

Seems like building a base for future, not the "all in" Jerry mentioned. Nothing wrong with that approach, but doesn't bode well for next season or two
I agree that this has a feel of a "building for the future" draft, but I think everyone we've picked so far will either start or play significantly. The only guy I'm unsure of is the LB from ND, but they liked him enough to use a top 100 pick on him. It's a very high floor draft outside of Guyton imo.
Woods Ag
AG
It's not a bad draft. I like the positions that they drafted for sure. I'm sick that 2 of my favorite players in this draft both went to the frikken Eagles. This Eagles defense keeps picking guys I want to like.

1. Guyton is the one I'm most uneasy about. He's on the back end of the "good" tackles, and it's not because he's good now. It's because he projects good and we're going to switch him to LT and hope he develops. He has the tools, but there are endless examples of guys that have the tools that never make it.

We needed that 2nd 3rd round pick, but I would have rather drafted the best G/C in the draft over a project tackle. Merely because it's more of a sure thing, and I want as close to a sure thing as I can with my 1st. Would have also loved DeJean and any number of others at that pick, as well.

2. Kneeland I don't know anything about, but reading on him and he fills a need. I would have rather Barton in the 1st and Rosengarten in the 2nd, or Javon Bullard, Junior Colson, Bralen Trice I really liked as well.

3. Beebe - I'm happy about that pick given the first 2 picks we made.

4. Liufau - Fine with it given our previous picks. I don't know him at all, so no opinion.

With this next pick I want a RB. I'm fine with any of Jaylen Wright, Ray Davis, Isaac Guerendo, and lastly Braelon Allen. They need to get into the 4th round somehow.

We got Dillon Johnson and Jase McClellan further down the line. Wouldn't mind double dipping on the RB.
Macarthur
On Guyton, I keep seeing the term project, etc.

I admit I haven't studied him and I"m no guru, but the guy gave up 2 sacks in over 1000 pass pro snaps in a heavy passing league. I'm not seeing the'project' thing.
Unemployed
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Ag Natural said:

Southlake said:

That's just your opinion there guy. The other poster is allowed to think they're not solid choices. How about not be a dick and judge someone else's "fandom."
This is a message board. Anything you say can and will be used against you. If you don't want to be criticized, then keep your thoughts to yourself.
Woods Ag
AG
He also plays in a terrible defense league.

He's got all the athletic ability but he needs to improve his technique. I think the word I heard used was "lazy" with his hands instead of being intentional about placement and pop in pass pro and they were showing a few instances of it.

Here's our PFF grades for drafted players:

Guyton
  • Ovr - 63.7
  • Pass B - 72.9
  • Run B - 60.5
  • Zone - 55
  • Gap - 64.8
  • True Pass Set Pass Block Grade - 59

Kneeland
  • Ovr - 89.7
  • Pass R -84.7
  • Run S - 83.4
  • True Pass Set Rush Grade - 87.4
  • Pass Rush Win Rate - 17%
  • Run-Stop Rate - 11%

Cooper Bebee
  • Ovr - 83.9
  • Pass B - 79.9
  • Run B - 90.4
  • Zone - 81.2
  • Gap - 76
  • True Pass Set Pass Block Grade - 91.1

Marist Liafua
  • Ovr - 74.3
  • Pass R -66.9
  • Run S - 66.5
  • Coverage Grade - 84.1
  • Avg Depth of Run Tackle - 3.0yards
  • Missed Tackle Rate - 18.9%

Macarthur
Fair enough. The good thing is the things he needs to improve upon are things that can be corrected fairly quickly. He has a ton of tools that can't be taught.
Woods Ag
AG
Exactly. That's the good thing.

He can be great, but he needs to have the right mentality to get there.
Agristotle
AG
Really pleased so far. Picking up the 3 was excellent.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Critics are raving about the guy from KState so that's good. I think Guyton was a solid pick for the trade back as well. Don't know anything about the 2nd round guy. The ND guy was probably well coached in college so that's never a bad thing.
Danny Vermin
Last year alot of the same things were said about Tyler Smith. Too many penalties, small school league that only cares about offense etc. I asked my OU season ticket holding buddy about him and according to his eyes, he is just an absolute beast. I'll actually trust the brass on this guy.
DannyDuberstein
AG
TyHolden said:

Maybe those 10 surgeries were looking for it
PooDoo
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

TyHolden said:

Maybe those 10 surgeries were looking for it

Knees and shoulders, one shoulder surgery was by the famous Dr. Andrews but it got infected and required a couple of follow up surgeries supposedly.
PooDoo
AG
PooDoo said:

PatAg said:

PooDoo said:

Voch Lombardi is the best OL evaluator on Cowboys YouTube. Guyton is the LAST guy they wanted the Cowboys to pick.

He's trying to be so positive about the pick in this video, it's hilarious

lol

Open to suggestions who do you like better?

Pat,
Still looking for a better Cowboys YouTuber that breaks down OL play. You can take time to lol but don't want to tell me who's better? Just let me know you are being an a-hole and I'll know you just want to chirp.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.