******* Official Cowboys draft 2024 *******

64,799 Views | 977 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Macarthur
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't Jerry talk a bunch of crap about going all in
jr15aggie
AG
I'm not intentionally trying to sugar coat the Zeke thing because I too think he is mostly washed at this point.

BUUUUTTTT..... the Cowboys, and NFL teams in general, typically bring in at least 1 vet RB every year. The fact that Zeke is bff's with the QB, already knows the building, etc. at least brings a little common sense to the deal. I mean, what other Vet RB currently available would fit in better than Zeke?
jr15aggie
AG
Here's a question, what's the deal with Stephon Gilmore???

We are exposed at CB if any of our current top 3 CBs go down. I'm not sure what he's asking for, but he sure was solid last year and I'd love to have him back.
Woods Ag
AG
I'm hoping they brought him back to help Dak pack his sh*t at the end of the year.
shack009
AG
It's like everybody forgot the start of last season when RB was going to be a strength with giving Pollard 20 touches a game. How did that go?
VP at Pierce and Pierce
I think McCarthey is going to run a pass heavy offense in 2024 and in order to do that he needs a really good pass protecting back which is what Zeke is. Zeke will basically be a pass catching/blitz pickup fullback in shotgun and get some carries to keep the defense honest. When it comes to running downhill under center I would image Davis or Dowdle will get most of those carries. If you think back to the Packers in McCathey's heyday it was a runningback by committee approach with the fullback getting work too which I think #40 will get too.
Unemployed
AG
zgolfz85 said:

jteagle said:

I also it's going to be comical in the middle of the season, the same posters that are saying "we don't need a RB" will be complaining about not being able to run the ball. They had difficulty running the ball last year at times, lost their best RB, a couple of offensive linemen and you think it is going to get better?
I hope it works but I have no faith in Mike McCarthy.
I never really had a lot of faith in Jerry to build a winner and I am losing the little faith I have.

Yep. Yes, we all know the watered down value of RBs in today's game, but it's not zero. You still have to have a serviceable RB room in order to have a workable offense. I don't think we have a serviceable room right now, but hope I'm wrong.
Or maybe the Cowboys feel that the RBs they have now on the team (Vaughn, Dowdle, and Freeman) are better than any late round RB they could've drafted. Reaching for a player because of need is a recipe for having a bad team in the long run.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

It's like everybody forgot the start of last season when RB was going to be a strength with giving Pollard 20 touches a game. How did that go?

Pollard has been overrated as anything but a change of pace speed back since day 1. The fact they thought he was a 3 down back just irks me even more. The fact they tried to trot him out there in short yardage and goal line situations over dowdle or luepke is disgraceful.
Woods Ag
AG
all these recipes for success that we follow. you'd think we'd have won something in the last 25 years.
zgolfz85
AG
The eagles simply have the best front office in football right now, along with KC and San Fran. Washington is highly improved in that dept as well. The Eagles draft along with bringing in Barkley, Devin White and bringing back Gardner-Johnson is such an insane off season. A+ all the way.
Woods Ag
AG
its gross.

They had weaknesses and literally filled them all with best case scenario options.
Macarthur
I tend to agree with this. I mean, if you want to criticize them for not taking Benson, I think that's fair.

But beyond that, all of the RBs had pretty significant warts, and as another poster said, you have to look at that pick versus what you already have on the roster and if you know it's not better, then you are wasting that pick.

jr15aggie
AG
Wanna know something comical... our cap still has like $6 mil in Zeke dead money (in addition to whatever we pay him).
zgolfz85
AG
jr15aggie said:

Wanna know something comical... our cap still has like $6 mil in Zeke dead money (in addition to whatever we pay him).

That's the best part
Tksymm7
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

I think McCarthey is going to run a pass heavy offense in 2024 and in order to do that he needs a really good pass protecting back which is what Zeke is. Zeke will basically be a pass catching/blitz pickup fullback in shotgun and get some carries to keep the defense honest. When it comes to running downhill under center I would image Davis or Dowdle will get most of those carries. If you think back to the Packers in McCathey's heyday it was a runningback by committee approach with the fullback getting work too which I think #40 will get too.
We are so screwed.
Woods Ag
AG
Dak playing the conductor role, slicing up Ds with that genius level mind for the game and nerves of steel!

I can't wait!
bonfarr
AG
Has Zeke matured since his Dallas days? The last thing we need is bringing the band back together with Zeke and Dak hitting the Dallas nightclubs. The moment a drunk Zeke makes an ass if himself again that's going to be all ESPN will want to report on for weeks. The juice isn't worth the squeeze.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Tksymm7 said:

We are so screwed.
I dont think the runningback part is as big of an issue. The issue is this franchise is "believing" all these rookies and second year guys are going to hit immediately. Both OL, Maize, Overshown, W Michigan kid (reach at best), the rest of the jags at OL and DL. There is a lot of front line talent for sure. But banking on all these young guys to come in and start, be productive, and healthy is a tall order. The schedule is manageable and 10-7 is likely. Just good enough to keep Dak and let Mike go.
shack009
AG
bonfarr said:

Has Zeke matured since his Dallas days? The last thing we need is bringing the band back together with Zeke and Dak hitting the Dallas nightclubs. The moment a drunk Zeke makes an ass if himself again that's going to be all ESPN will want to report on for weeks. The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

The biggest issue with Zeke is that he trips at 10 yards if he gets in the open field, not that he likes to honk honkers on St Patrick's day.
Woods Ag
AG
or it's a combination of the two. that he was only good for a couple of years behind hte greatest offensive line ever assembled, and he was constantly ****ing off.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Woods Ag said:

or it's a combination of the two. that he was only good for a couple of years behind hte greatest offensive line ever assembled, and he was constantly ****ing off.
Story is he partied HARD and was still living that lifestyle as of 18 months ago. It is difficult to play tailback when you do not take care of yourself and put toxins in your body and do not get adequate rest or nutrition.
Woods Ag
AG
Can't outwork a bad diet.

And those people degrade MUCH faster than someone that takes care of their body. There's nothing about Zeke that I want near the Cowboys. It's more evidence of Jerry being too attached to his guys and making terrible decisions.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
PatAg said:

I wonder if he regrets saying that. Or is he so arrogant he doesn't regret it at all.
fc2112
bonfarr
AG
Any chance Carolina releases Miles Sanders soon? They drafted Brooks and have Chubba Hubbard and Tarik Cohen on top of Sanders so running back room getting crowded. I wouldn't trade for him after the contract Carolina signed him to and the terrible season he has in '23 but wouldn't mind taking him on a one year prove it deal. He is one season removed from a 1200 yard season with Philly and lots less mileage and baggage than Zeke.
Agristotle
AG
this is a reboot, they just won't say that. This season will be a soap opera around Dak and Mac's last season, which will be must see TV,

Deal maker Jerry got humiliated by Dak's team on the last contract. He's not going to let that happen again.
JWinTX
zgolfz85 said:

The eagles simply have the best front office in football right now, along with KC and San Fran. Washington is highly improved in that dept as well. The Eagles draft along with bringing in Barkley, Devin White and bringing back Gardner-Johnson is such an insane off season. A+ all the way.
The scariest part about Washington is that they now have ownership that is not a laughingstock of the league. So now, Dallas is easily the least competent front office in the NFC East, which is why Philly and the Giants have has so much success since Jimmy left. Before Jimmy left and before Little Danny Snyder bought the Redskins, the Eagles and Giants had been to a combined 3 Super Bowls. Since then? Eagles have been to 4 Super Bowls and the Giants have been to 3.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Agristotle said:

this is a reboot, they just won't say that. This season will be a soap opera around Dak and Mac's last season, which will be must see TV,

Deal maker Jerry got humiliated by Dak's team on the last contract. He's not going to let that happen again.
Jerry will pull a rabbit out of his for Dak. Dak will be a Cowboy after 2024, he will sign a team friendly deal with a massive guarantee. No Cowboys QB has ever played for another team and it wont happen with Dak.
I think we see Dallas trade either Rush or Lance in the fall when the inevitable injuries happen, Cowboys wll address a need there in that trade.
bonfarr
AG
I don't see anyone trading for Rush even after injuries happen. Rush knows the offense and doesn't need a whole lot of snaps to stay ready and can step in and keep you in games when the starter goes down but there are a lot of dudes like that in the NFL. I'm glad we have him as long as his contract is cheap but doubt there is any interest outside of Dallas.

Hopefully Lance shows something in preseason that tells us he may have a future as a starter or trade bait.

Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Macarthur

Tksymm7 said:

We are so screwed.
I dont think the runningback part is as big of an issue. The issue is this franchise is "believing" all these rookies and second year guys are going to hit immediately. Both OL, Maize, Overshown, W Michigan kid (reach at best), the rest of the jags at OL and DL. There is a lot of front line talent for sure. But banking on all these young guys to come in and start, be productive, and healthy is a tall order. The schedule is manageable and 10-7 is likely. Just good enough to keep Dak and let Mike go.

Let's criticise the cowboys for the right things. I don't beleive this to be true, at all. Dane Brugler had him as the 51st rated player on his board.

And Edge is a sneaky need for this team. Tank is in his last year so they need help there.
jr15aggie
AG
Agristotle said:

The reality is, last year was our "all in" year. We did a crap ton of restructures that didn't make any sense other than to get a few more pieces to make a run. And it was a helluva run in the regular season that ended in another playoff disaster.

The Cowboys simply do not have enough cap magic to make it work after this season. We will have to let Dak walk and eat a **** ton of dead money in the process.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Macarthur said:

Tksymm7 said:

We are so screwed.

Let's criticise the cowboys for the right things. I don't beleive this to be true, at all. Dane Brugler had him as the 51st rated player on his board.

And Edge is a sneaky need for this team. Tank is in his last year so they need help there.
Interesting note on that, thanks for letting me know. I know that Brugler had that linebacker rated far lower than where the cowboys selected him, not sure what to make about that. My concern with the W Michigan kid isnt where he was drafted as much as I believe it will be a reach to expect him to come in and make a big contribution in year one. He seems like a redshirt guy along with the ND linebacker. Definitely could be wrong, I hope he is a baller.
Macarthur
It's possible that he has a red shirt year, but with tank Lawrence on his last year of the contract that's not necessarily a bad thing. I will say that one thing we're not sure about is what Zimmer wants to do with Parsons. If he wants to play Parsons more to true linebacker than this guy may get a lot of snaps.
jr15aggie
AG
I think my only concern right now is that if we let Dak walk, we are going to have to tank bad enough in 2025 to get into the QB conversation for the 2026 draft.

I'm nervous because I still think we are doing some things right (such as how we continue to invest in our o-line). Even without Dak, I just don't see this team being bad enough to draft inside the top 5.

I think a smart GM, after this season, would let Dak walk and pick up Micah's 5th year option. At that point you can either figure out how to keep him long term... or possibly better, find a team willing to give you a 1st rounder for him.
EastSideAg2002
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

PatAg said:

I wonder if he regrets saying that. Or is he so arrogant he doesn't regret it at all.
Hes tried to walk that back several times on radio interviews. Hes tried to make it sounds like what everyone else means by "all in" is not necessarily what it means when he says it. Its what Jerry does best, talk out his ass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.