******* Official Cowboys draft 2024 *******

64,854 Views | 977 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Macarthur
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vince Blake said:

Gallup and LVE released

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the headline that Dallas gave Gallup permission to seek a trade. As if anybody was going to trade anything for Gallup.

He was fun to watch early in his career, but the guy did practically nothing after he got injured and then got paid anyway. Good luck to him.... and, Jerry... please stop paying injured players who are mid!
PooDoo
AG
ALL IN!
MookieBlaylock
AG
Did you just say mid?

God help us
Vince Blake
Tyron to the Jets
Macarthur
Sucks to see him go but I think it was time.
An L of an Ag
AG
Protecting Rogers.. so I guess he's joining the Secret Service?
Daveintx
Are the jets gonna be happy with him missing most practices and 3 to 4 games? Guys hall of fame, but it's time to hang it up
mavsfan4ever
AG
He was literally the top graded left tackle last year. Yes, they will be thrilled if he doesn't practice and plays 14 games at that level.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Yep. One of the best at his position for a long time. Exactly what you want when drafting a guy like that early in round one.
Carlo4
AG
So the Steelers have Wilson and Fields. The bears have no QB but lots of offensive weapons.
jr15aggie
AG
I guess our front office just sucks at trading! We gave up a 4th for Trey Lance... the Steelers only had to give up a 6th for Fields (could be a 4th if he plays 51% of snaps next year).

Ugh!
Vince Blake
Not a total shocker, but LVE is retiring. I was a fan of the guy ever since he was drafted. Here's to finding your life's work Wolf Hunter.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, such a dang shame! The guy was an absolute beast his rookie year (the only year he was fully healthy). 6'4", 250 lbs and could run sideline to sideline. What could have been!
Vince Blake
Mel Kipers latest mock draft has the Cowboys taking Guyton with Jackson Powers-Johnson available. I don't see that happening. Daniel Jeremiah's has the Cowboys selecting JPJ but has Barton going before him.

I believe guys like Kiper and Jeremiah based their mocks on what they are hearing from sources around the league. Maybe JPJ is falling?

Kiper's mock: https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39752638/2024-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-updated-quarterback-predictions-32-picks-williams-maye-daniels

Jeremiah's mock: https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2024-nfl-mock-draft-3-0
Woods Ag
AG
Cooper DeJean is falling.

I'm all in on Cooper DeJean in the 1st if he makes it to us. permanent nickleback and can drop to safety on 2 WR sets. Dude tackles and makes plays. He's dropping because of an injury and because he's white. If we don't get him he'll end up being a Raven and everyone that drafts before will slap themselves for not picking him up.
Vince Blake
Looks like they're not extending Dak…at least not this year.
gigem1223
I keep seeing mock drafts with the cowboys taking an OT 1st round. I'm not so sure they need to do that. I like what I saw out of TJ Bass last season and Tyler Smith can play tackle. I just hope they go BPA and don't reach on their board to fill a need.
Macarthur
I'd prefer the Oregon Center in the first.
Daveintx
Daks dead money from all the past restructures is going to kill the cowboys next year
Ag Natural
AG
Daveintx said:

Daks dead money from all the past restructures is going to kill the cowboys next year
Dak and his agent have screwed this team big time. I'm sick of everyone trying to blame the FO for this. He refused to take a longer term deal that would improve the flexibility. He backed the Cowboys into this standoff situation YET AGAIN. At this point I'd almost be fine with letting him hit the market. All you have to do is look at the most successful team in the league who's superstar QB has continually structured his contract to give the Chiefs what they need to put a team around him. And Mahommes is the one guy who COULD justify holding his team over a barrel. I really thing Dak cares more about money than winning. He already makes more than any other QB off the field. This blows my mind.
Macarthur
That's an interesting take.

I hate to come across as one that always defends the Jones' because I don't really like them but I find some of the criticism really interesting.

For example, they're getting killed for not spending in FA but when I look at who has been signed and for how much, I'm kinda glad they didn't. I mean, almost $40m for Barkley is a huge risk, IMO. Also, when Hankins leaves for Seattle, they are criticized for allowing him to go but those same people complain about their run defense. Well, Hankins run defense grade has declined for 3 straight years. So, should they resign him or is it clear his best days are behind him?

I haven't followed FA super close but someone tell me a free agent that we should have been all over?

It's kind of a classic scenario where Jerry gets criticized for things regardless of which way he plays it.
Tksymm7
AG
I would like to add how they have handled the Dak situation as well. Should they have signed him a year earlier than they did the first time around? Yeah, probably. But I will never fault someone for letting things play out and making the player prove what they are worth, and I like how they are handling the Dak situation now. Don't just give him another Brinks truck full of cash. Make him go out and win some f'ing games that matter. If he wants to walk at the end, then so be it. See how much fun playing for someone like the Bucs or Titans is. Let me know how the sponsorship dollars flow when you aren't a Cowboy.
jr15aggie
AG
Daveintx said:

It's why a lot of us said, immediately after the playoff debacle, that it was time to cut bait and rebuild. I suppose it's OK to let this year play out... I mean, why not... but we are 100% screwed very soon with the cap.

And I agree with Mac on the FA situation this year. I do think Jerry meant what he said about going "all in" a few months ago. I believe they were ready to do a lot more restructures to make cap room now. And then all the best players got franchise tagged and there was a whole lotta nothin to choose from.

2024... gonna roll out there with a very similar team, a new DC, and hope for different results!
Vince Blake
New coach and QB for 2025...
justnobody79
If Dallas has a bad or even mediocre year and Colorado gets to 9 or 10 wins then it isn't too far fetched for 2025.
Macarthur
I'm begining to wonder if our C for next year is already on the roster?

Southlake
jr15aggie said:

Daveintx said:

It's why a lot of us said, immediately after the playoff debacle, that it was time to cut bait and rebuild. I suppose it's OK to let this year play out... I mean, why not... but we are 100% screwed very soon with the cap.

And I agree with Mac on the FA situation this year. I do think Jerry meant what he said about going "all in" a few months ago. I believe they were ready to do a lot more restructures to make cap room now. And then all the best players got franchise tagged and there was a whole lotta nothin to choose from.

2024... gonna roll out there with a very similar team, a new DC, and hope for different results!
Just lost the best DC in football. Didn't do anything in the post season but embarrass themselves. Haven't done anything in the off season but lose proven starters. Probably about to make a silly draft pick. And everybody in the NFC East got stronger.

Why in the world do you think the cowboys can win 12 games next year? Cause Jerry said it's all ok?

So sick and tired of the Jones era. Honestly would like to go 0-17 and have Jerry sell this team.

Peter Klaven
AG
Not to play contrarian but what starters would you have liked to have back? And what free agents are you sour that we missed?

I agree this is the opposite of what all-in should look like but I'm struggling to see any "bad" moves they've made so far.
Macarthur
I tend to agree. It seems like we do this every offseason.

I don't want to be revisionist about Dan Quinn, but are we sure he's the best DC in the league? He was very good, but he also seemed to have a huge achilles heel that he could never figure out.
Ag Natural
AG
Southlake said:

jr15aggie said:

Daveintx said:

Just lost the best DC in football. Didn't do anything in the post season but embarrass themselves. Haven't done anything in the off season but lose proven starters. Probably about to make a silly draft pick. And everybody in the NFC East got stronger.

Why in the world do you think the cowboys can win 12 games next year? Cause Jerry said it's all ok?

So sick and tired of the Jones era. Honestly would like to go 0-17 and have Jerry sell this team.

You might need to find another hobby.
BJM1781
AG
Jones fam ain't ever selling the cash cow that is this football club. It would take quite a drop on the ol' most valuable franchise list for that to occur, and it's not happening in the near future.
Macarthur
Interesting article on the Cowboys draft the last 10 years.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2024/3/28/24113086/dallas-cowboys-draft-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-10-years-zack-martin-johnny-manziel-av-socre
Vince Blake
Pre-draft visits tracker. As you might expect, the list is mostly O linemen, linebackers, and running backs.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2024/3/25/24111249/dallas-cowboys-draft-visit-tracker-interviews-2024-30-dallas-day
jr15aggie
AG
If there is a LB worthy of our 1st pick (or 2nd) then take him. Mike Zimmer's defense is either going to make us or break us this year.

We can talk about Dak all we want, and perhaps that's fair, but flipping Patty Mahomes didn't win the Super Bowl by scoring 19 points in regulation. And it sure as **** wasn't Dak or McCarthy that let GB go 75 and 93 yards against us before our offense had a chance to settle down!!!

Give Zimmer the tools he needs and maybe we have a chance to be a better team than we were last year.
jr15aggie
AG
I know a lot of 'experts' think we are going O-line in the 1st. And that would make sense... we need it and there projects to be starting caliber talent there when we are picking.

I'm also thinking that D-line is only a Plan B with our early picks in case we get wiped out. And for good reason... we've spent a lot of draft resources here recently. Mazi, Osa, Golston, Fehoko, Sam Williams... all 3rd round or higher picks. These guys need to step up!!!

Really really hope a top LB (Cooper or that guy from Mich) falls to us in the 2nd. I think we need an immediate impact player here. If we get wiped out and have to wait until the 5th or 6th for a LB I'm concerned.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.