******* Official Cowboys draft 2024 *******

64,822 Views | 977 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Macarthur
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

PatAg said:

Didn't Jerry talk a bunch of crap about going all in

I wonder if he regrets saying that. Or is he so arrogant he doesn't regret it at all.
Hes tried to walk that back several times on radio interviews. Hes tried to make it sounds like what everyone else means by "all in" is not necessarily what it means when he says it. Its what Jerry does best, talk out his ass.
ready for that mofo to be medically waived. tired of his shady lady groping dementia ass ****ing up this team.

Macarthur
I think everyone will be better off if you just start ignoring what Jerry says. That's what I've started.

Jerry isn't running this thing anyway.

Will McClay is running the draft and scouting.

The real problem is that Stephen is running the football operations and that doesn't give me much hope for the future.
Macarthur
Some decent film on Kneeland. Much of this tape is against Iowa so he bullied some Big 10 blockers...

He doesn't have a ton of 'stats' but he's really distruptive.

Macarthur
Rookie FA name to watch.

Emany Johnson, S, Nevada. Big safety that has good speed. Was 1st team all moutain west.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Macarthur said:

I think everyone will be better off if you just start ignoring what Jerry says. That's what I've started.

The real problem is that Stephen is running the football operations and that doesn't give me much hope for the future.

I had posted this some time ago but someone very close to me worked in the league office before eventually taking a front office job with an NFC east team, then moving over to be VP of another NFL team. He's always said that while Stephen had promise early on, he's actually now seen as super arrogant and comes off like a know it all in league dealings. Jerry at least had a likeable quality about him but Stephen isn't liked at all in league circles and pretty much only has his way of doing things. Mcclay has value around the league, Stephen does not. There is a very real problem within this organization, culture, and structure.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jerry is on old blowhard salesman. Everyone would be a lot better off to not get riled up by what he says. There's another guy in politics that fits that description too.
zgolfz85
AG

Macarthur said:

I had posted this some time ago but someone very close to me worked in the league office before eventually taking a front office job with an NFC east team, then moving over to be VP of another NFL team. He's always said that while Stephen had promise early on, he's actually now seen as super arrogant and comes off like a know it all in league dealings. Jerry at least had a likeable quality about him but Stephen isn't liked at all in league circles and pretty much only has his way of doing things. Mcclay has value around the league, Stephen does not. There is a very real problem within this organization, culture, and structure.
sounds about right. love when the kids of the uber wealthy are even worse....
DannyDuberstein
AG
They will never do it, but would love to see what McClay could do as GM when you connect who they are drafting with who they are extending and signing. Major disconnects with the current setup
VP at Pierce and Pierce
DannyDuberstein said:

They will never do it, but would love to see what McClay could do as GM when you connect who they are drafting with who they are extending and signing. Major disconnects with the current setup
Excellent point. There is a disconnect between the two. With Stephen's attitude of "they call me to negotiate" it makes it that much more difficult to project out the roster. As to one poster's story, Stephen seemed to be pretty sharp and have value early on and he seemed to be building something in the mid 2010s. Then he became stubborn, reactive, and somewhat arrogant. Frankly, being perpetually hungover has caught up to him and it shows in his stubbornness and lack of ability to be proactive.
I do think they figure out a way to move Parsons for a haul, and I could see it happening sooner than later.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Interested to see what Zimmer does with him, but I feel like Parsons has been on the fast track to getting all used up relatively early in his career. Like some RBs. So I'm moving to the sell camp as well; again, pending what I see this year
Macarthur

Macarthur said:

Yeah, it sure seems this way. Discouraging to say the least.
jr15aggie
AG
Which is why it's been SUPER encouraging to see Jerry's grandkids in the war room during the draft for the past 5+ years!

Lord help us all!!!!!
Southlake
Incestuous football family.

Haven't we said they were screwed up for the last 10 years?

Amazing that with the Cowboys brand and influence/money that this team is so dysfunctional. It's simply Jerry's toy used to draw attention to himself causing a strange irony to lifelong team fans who understand what this owner is all about - with no end in sight. Cowboys as an organization are only riding the coattails of glory days.

Getting very hard to give a damn about them anymore.
EastSideAg2002
Southlake said:

Incestuous football family.

Haven't we said they were screwed up for the last 10 years?

Amazing that with the Cowboys brand and influence/money that this team is so dysfunctional. It's simply Jerry's toy used to draw attention to himself causing a strange irony to lifelong team fans who understand what this owner is all about - with no end in sight. Cowboys as an organization are only riding the coattails of glory days.

When Jerry finally passes, its really going to go down the shidder. McClay is basically staying on because he wants to win one for Jerry. For all his BS, most of the players like Jerry. I dont think Ive ever heard that anyone likes playing for Stephen.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
jr15aggie said:

Which is why it's been SUPER encouraging to see Jerry's grandkids in the war room during the draft for the past 5+ years!

Lord help us all!!!!!

It's kinda already a shi*show but I have a feeling it's going to be super dysfunctional with family power struggles and whatnot after Jerry is gone. The current version of the Cowboys has some order and consistency at least (even if the consistency is in being slightly better than mediocre).
jteagle
AG
Southlake said:

Unfortunately, this is where I'm at.

Infection_Ag11
AG
To be fair, they never said he was a washed player. They said he wasnt worth the money they were paying him.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag Natural
AG
It really sux to be the only one ever defending this org. Jerry and the Cowboys have not made a playoff run A LONG time. Yes we get it.

But other than parroting that over and over, what evidence is there that this whole org is a sh#tshow?

Is it simply because Jerry has made it a family business? Well plenty other teams are run that way.

Is it because they can't field a good team ? Well I believe they have the second best record in the league over the last 7 years or so. Regular season only yeah. But crappy organizations don't win like that.

Is it because they can't evaluate talent or draft? Well we all know the record there. It's pretty outstanding.

And you also need to tell me which teams are obviously run much better if you want to compare and contrast ownership styles.

I'll give you the Chiefs, Niners, Ravens and Packers.

Some of the others like the Giants and Steelers get a ton or praise but would Cowboys fans be good with their record the last ten years?

The Eagles are the most overhyped franchise there is. They sign Devin White graded out as the worst LB in the league last season and some poster was giving them credit. Throwing money at Barkley? Jerry would get killed for that. They draft only UGA defenders and get hype and then sucked hard last season. They drafted Wentz.

The Pats are a crap show now without Brady.

I won't list all the obvious dumpster fires. Theres a lot. The rest are basically in the Cowboys realm of being decent and just need some luck at QB. Prior to Burrow the Bengals were considered to have the worst owner in the league outside of Snyder. Now they're SB contenders.

To be clear, I know there is dysfunction in some areas. I've heard about the training staff in particular. And Jerry gets his butt handed to him in negotiations. But it's far from bottom of the league level stuff.
Macarthur
The cowboys have been very fortunate to get lucky w Romo and Dak back to back. Add will McClay to that and you have a good to very good roster most years.

I wish I knew why they can't get over the hump in the playoffs. It's quite a mystery.

But to say things like a dumpster fire or garbage is just silly hyperbole. Now, if they go into QB purgatory, that could all catch up w them.
bonfarr
AG
My problem with Jerry and the Jones organization is their loyalty to a fault of their head coaches. We wasted so many years with Garrett as HC and I just don't believe McCarthy has what it takes to get us to a Super Bowl. That was evident last season yet we enter another year with him at the helm. Why?
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Ag Natural
AG
bonfarr said:

My problem with Jerry and the Jones organization is their loyalty to a fault of their head coaches. We wasted so many years with Garrett as HC and I just don't believe McCarthy has what it takes to get us to a Super Bowl. That was evident last season yet we enter another year with him at the helm. Why?

That's a fair criticism. Still doesn't equal sh*tshow. The Steelers have had 3 HCs in their history and they get praised for it despite the fact that they have a similar playoff record to the Cowboys since they won the SB in Big Ben's second season (2008). No Cowboy coach has lost to a QB as bad as Tebow in a playoff game.
jja79
AG
They haven't played for even a conference championship in almost 30 years. What other measure of failure do you need?
Ag Natural
AG
jja79 said:

They haven't played for even a conference championship in almost 30 years. What other measure of failure do you need?

It's logic. So you can say they haven't made a conference final in 30 years and that equals it's a terrible organization that never will. Yet they've had a lot of regular season success and identified more pro bowlers than almost anyone.

By your definition the Bengals have a great owner because they've made one superbowl. Even though we know they spend less money on scouting than any team in the league.

The Jones aren't doing it totally wrong. They've made a few mistakes and they've had horrendously bad luck. But calling them a dumpster fire is not accurate. I'll stand by that. Jerry runs this team like a fan. As a fan, I can appreciate that. I do think they've gotten smarter over the years. But at the end of the day do you want a venture capital firm to own this team?
ramblin_ag02
AG
Ag Natural said:

bonfarr said:

That's a fair criticism. Still doesn't equal sh*tshow. The Steelers have had 3 HCs in their history and they get praised for it despite the fact that they have a similar playoff record to the Cowboys since they won the SB in Big Ben's second season (2008). No Cowboy coach has lost to a QB as bad as Tebow in a playoff game.
All 3 Steelers HC have won a SB while coaching the Steelers and been to multiple SBs. All are/were over 600 winning percentage. They're all awesome head coaches.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Peter Klaven
AG
Mike Tomlin is a great head coach who has zero postseason wins in the last eight years. The Steelers are a great organization but I'm not sure their fans wouldn't swap futures with us.
Rex Racer
AG
Ag Natural said:

bonfarr said:

I think you mean in the Super Bowl era. Steelers go back to 1933 and have had 16 head coaches.
Tksymm7
AG
Peter Klaven said:

Mike Tomlin is a great head coach who has zero postseason wins in the last eight years. The Steelers are a great organization but I'm not sure their fans wouldn't swap futures with us.
And the Steelers should've let him go two years ago.
BMX Bandit
Peter Klaven said:

Five years is admittedly tough given four year rookie contracts but with any luck I'd say our first five picks.

And obviously if all five do make it that long then this draft will be a home run. We shall see!
its more likely to be 2, maybe 3.

thats not a knock on the picks, just the reality of life in the nfl.

its also much more likely that 0 will still be on the team than 5 will.
Peter Klaven
AG
No argument here, you're absolutely right. I'm definitely on the optimistic side.

And to your point, the only 2019 pick we have left five years later is our very own Donovan Wilson from the sixth round no less!
Tksymm7
AG
I'll say again; I really like what we did in the first three rounds. I think at the very least Guyton will be an upgrade over Steele at RT if that's where he needs to play. I think Cooper Beebe is a plug and play guard/center who will bring some series beef, strength and toughness to an o line that was pretty dang soft at times last year, and I think a lot of the same can be said for Kneeland and Liufau. He's going to bring some physicality, strength and toughness to a defense that lacks that in a major way. Now, I don't know how much Kneeland and Liufau will play, but I think theyll get their fair share of snaps.

My issue is that we seem completely listless.
Southlake
Yup, let's make up every excuse possible for this crap-hole of an organization.
J.P. 03
AG
Ag Natural said:

But other than parroting that over and over, what evidence is there that this whole org is a sh#tshow?

There was that tiny matter of a team employee getting caught taking pictures of cheerleaders changing clothes and snapping upskirt photos of the owner's daughter but somehow escaping criminal prosecution presumably due to all the dirt he has on said owner that he'd prefer to keep private, but other than that, they're just as functional as all the other franchises.

(And I'm not giving you a hard time as a Cowboy defender; they're still "my" team, too. I just think it's okay to acknowledge they're a complete circus thanks to the Jones family.)
shack009
AG
Southlake said:

Yup, let's make up every excuse possible for this crap-hole of an organization.
Who is making excuses? The team needs to start winning in the playoffs more. Everybody agrees with that.

Do you want people to say it's a good idea to draft a running back in the 3rd round when the team had another player at another position of need graded higher? If we didn't draft a LB there then there wouldn't have been any good ones in the 5th round and people would be *****ing about not drafting a LB early and signing old guys like Kendricks and Wilson. Do you want people to say it's a good idea to give up a 2025 3rd rounder to get back in to the 4th round to draft a complete unknown at RB (as has been reported as the price of doing business)? Because that would have been really really stupid.

Again, the draft process the Cowboys did was really sound. They actually did what the smart teams do. It's an A+ draft if Beebe and Guyton become starters on the OL and if Kneeland is your SDE of the future.

There will be plenty of mediocre running backs available in next year's 3rd or 4th round to freak out about.
shack009
AG
Also freaking out about resigning Zeke should be left to mental midgets like Stephen A Smith.

Zeke actually fills a need on offense. He can do the one thing we were really terrible at last year, which is getting a yard when we need a yard. We were not explosive in the run game or RB pass game last year, so it's not like Zeke is taking away from anything the offense did. We win the Miami game last year if Zeke is on the team.

Do I think Zeke is a good RB? Of course not. Am I going to freak out about some sort of "perception" of re-signing him? Of course not.
Macarthur
Agree. It seems that some won't allow for a nuanced discussion on the Cowboys.

We all agree things would be better without Jerry and the circus that comes with him.

But there's also a discussion that some don't want to hear is that they actually have a quite strong draft record and have a really decent player development record.

That translates to the fact that they have won a lot of football games over the last decade or so.

The just can't, as we have all autopsied to no end, make any hay in the playoffs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.