******* Official Cowboys draft 2024 *******

64,828 Views | 977 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Macarthur
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not to get too into the weeds with random Cowboys talk on the draft thread... but I was not aware that we had Damone Clark playing out of position all year. I don't know the technical details, but I believe we had him playing LVE's spot (which I think was Mike LB).

Point being, we can possibly turn around the LB spot real quick if we get Clark back in his spot, if Overshown fully recovers, and we can maybe pick up a guy like Cooper in the draft. A lot of "IFs" in there and we also have the unknown of what Zimmer will do with Micah....... LB is definitely one of the more interesting spots to watch for in the draft.
Woods Ag
AG
Overshown has to show that he's good too. Right now we have speculation and some preseason action, but whether he can be a difference maker or not isn't known.
Macarthur
I'm not a big X's and O's guy as it relates to LBer, but it seems to me, w Overshown, we have some guys that can fly around and play in space. What we don't have is the middle of the defense enforcer that comes downhill and blows up RBs in the run game. I don't know if that guy exists in this draft but that seems to be what we are missing, IMO.
jr15aggie
AG
Yep.

Is Cooper that kind of LB you think? Outside of seeing him make a ton of plays for the Ags last year, I really don't know how he projects in the NFL.

The only thing I can tell you is that ESPN has Cooper listed as 6'3" & 230 lbs..... Fred Warner is listed at 6'3" & 230 lbs. And, looking online, people have Cooper as a 4.52 forty guy and Warner at 4.62. Will see what Cooper officially runs at the combine.

He certainly looks the part on paper, doesn't he!
Macarthur
He does look the part, on paper. I've never thought of Cooper as the Thumper-type, but with his measurables, maybe he is.

And Cooper, to me, looks like his frame could carry an extra 10Lbs pretty easily. I mean, if he could play fast at 6'3" 240lbs, you have to think that's plenty big enough.
Macarthur
Pro football network has a simulator. Pretty good stuff. seems like every time I go through this, there is a really good football player sitting there. As long as we just be patient and take the best player, we will be good.

Thoughts on these?

jr15aggie
AG
Dude... those mock drafts with Cooper or McKinnley Jackson in the 2nd!!!

I don't consider myself Aggie biased when it comes to the draft. In fact, I usually de-value our guys and feel like a lot of them get drafted too high. Call it a hunch or a gut feeling, but I don't think our coaches did Jackson any favors and I think he could have a much bigger pro career and impact than he did at A&M.

Assuming he showed up well in the Senior Bowl against good competition, I'd have no problem with him as a day 2 pick.
Macarthur
I think I read that he did have a good week of work at the senior bowl. I agree. I think Jackson has a really solid NFL career.
Daveintx
If you can get Brooks on down the line, and his leg is healed, that kid can fly.

Not so much crazy about his blocking, but get him the ball
Southlake
Ol, DL, LB for first 3 rounds.

( of course I say this every year!)
Vince Blake
Prior to free agency, I think the first 3 rounds look something like:

1st: IOL, OT (Johnson, Mims, Barton, Guyton, Morgan)
2nd: LB (Edge, Trotter)
3rd: RB (Brooks, Benson, Wright)

My wishcast out of those would be Johnson, Cooper, Brooks or Benson.
alvtimes
Isnt Zimmer a 3-4 guy???? Doesnt seem Cowboys roster supports a 3/4 next yr
Macarthur
No
alvtimes
alvtimes said:

Isnt Zimmer a 3-4 guy???? Doesnt seem Cowboys roster supports a 3/4 next yr

Seems I found what was tickling my brain…. google says he installed 3-4 for Cowboys (parcells) in 05 but that was his first time to run it
jr15aggie
AG
Yep, Parcells came in and wanted a 3-4 but kept Zimmer who had never coached it. Zim did a pretty good job all things considered.

Parcells was also the guy that stood on the table and demanded we draft Marcus Spears for his crucial 3-4 DE set piece... Jerry and the scouts overruled him on that day and we drafted some guy named DeMarcus Ware instead. Got Spears anyway with our second 1st rounder.

Not much different than how Jimmy wanted a LB but had to "settle" for taking Emmitt Smith when Cincinnati jumped us to take the other guy. Great coaches are great coaches... but they are usually damn lucky too!!!
Macarthur
This guy's coverage is good.

Macarthur
PooDoo
AG
HC and DC not attending the combine… let the lame duck season begin!
gigem1223
PooDoo said:

HC and DC not attending the combine… let the lame duck season begin!

I don't see the big deal here. Coaches shouldn't be involved in scouting players and McCarthy isn't the only coach that does this. McVay comes to mind.
Macarthur
Here's a guy we have mentioned here for the boys. Injury concerns at LBer scare me a bit.

PatAg
AG
I think its more likely we get a veteran LB than draft one
Vince Blake
I agree with you. Not sure it would preclude them from drafting a linebacker. I think they sign someone who can anchor the middle and be their "green dot" on defense. Throwing some possible free agent names out there:
Azeez Al-Shaair
Patrick Queen
Josey Jewell
Tyrel Dodson
Bobby Wagner
BMX Bandit
not the draft, but grades from the nflpa:

Southlake
Yeah, Overshown looked promising in pre-season but he blew out his knee. Who knows if he cabin return to that level - a level that was promising at best. Just another reason the cowboys need to get another LBer.
jr15aggie
AG
Heard the Ravens are going to either franchise Madubuike or sign him to a deal. That sucks, was hoping the Cowboys could make a run at him. I'd really like to pay for a DT than trust the draft again.

I'm comfortable drafting a LB though, especially if Zimmer has a plan to utilize Micah more as a stand up LB.
Woods Ag
AG
We have Osa. We don't need an expensive Osa replacement as much as I'd love every Aggie to be on my favorite pro team.

Should be in a good spot in both the 1st and 2nd round to grab a contributor no matter teh position. I'd love that Cooper DeJean too. Was watching his highlights and what a weapon he'd be as a slot corner, hybrid safety type with Bland and Diggs on the outside.

It could fall right where we get our pick of solid options at corner, LBer, DT, and interior OL in both the 1st and 2nd round.
Vince Blake
Believe the Cowboys have formally interviewed him at the Combine. Btw, @MathBomb is a fun follow on X during the combine.
Woods Ag
AG
queue the Aaron Donald projections..

I don't know anything about him, but beware the workout warrior.
jr15aggie
AG
Pretty sure we saw the exact same RAS stuff posted about Schoonmaker last year. Just sayin'
Tksymm7
AG
Tyron Smith officially not coming back to the cowboys. This is the right move. Saves money and finally lets Tyler Smith shift out of tackle. It does leave the interior a little unknown, but interior lineman are a whole lot easier to find than tackles.
Macarthur
I think T J Bass is ready to start at G.
Macarthur
AD Mitchell w a 4.35. Wow. He would be nice paired with CD.
Macarthur
Leggett would be nice, too.
Macarthur
McConkey and Brian Thomas Jr. geez. This WR class is loaded.
Tksymm7
AG
Xavier Worthy just went sub 4.3 I'm pretty sure. Weighs about a 150 though lol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.