Portal Season Has Started

66,635 Views | 626 Replies | Last: 18 min ago by pierceshipp
TjgtAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

Would expect a large number to leave/exhaust eligibility after this year - though perhaps Taylor and Obaseki will be part of the last class to get an extra year for COVID (or is that done after this next year?).
I'm pretty sure Wade/Manny's class (c/o 2021) was the first class back to not get the extra COVID year, so this coming season will be their final season, along with the vast majority of the "covid" seniors like Coleman, Garcia, etc (guys who were class of 2020 and who's freshman year didn't count).
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg
AG
With the Musselman USC rumors, the Aggie staff should be in Tramom Mark's ear
HotardRat
AG

Johnell is exactly the kind of player we need.
The Marksman
AG
HotardRat said:

Johnell is exactly the kind of player we need.
NBA draft bound, I believe
Know Your Enemy
AG
He may go draft but it clearly isn't a given otherwise it makes no sense to enter the portal.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Then we will need a large number of transfers and/or recruits for the 2025-2026 season (year after next).

THIS YEAR (Fall 2024-Spring 2025) should present our most experienced team with a very high ceiling if all continue the level of play that manifested in March 2024 - with our biggest need being to TRY to replace Boots' production and leadership/intangibles.
pierceshipp
AG
Someone tell Johnny to get in Lebrons ear and get Bronny to the good guys!
Mikeyshooter
AG
I'd be surprised if Bronny didn't end up at Duquesne.

TjgtAg08
AG
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

Then we will need a large number of transfers and/or recruits for the 2025-2026 season (year after next).

THIS YEAR (Fall 2024-Spring 2025) should present our most experienced team with a very high ceiling if all continue the level of play that manifested in March 2024 - with our biggest need being to TRY to replace Boots' production and leadership/intangibles.
Yeah we are going to be a completely different-looking team in 2025. Will lose Manny, Wade, Coleman, Garcia, Hefner and Carter.

It will be interesting to watch who we bring in this year from the portal, how many and how old they are. Ideally it would be nice to grab 2-3 guys who come in with 2 years of eligibility left, but thats a very fine line to walk between getting longer-term transfers, helping your team right away and offering enough playing time.
bobinator
AG
This is part of why we need to be really good next year. We're almost definitely going to take a step back the next year.
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

frenchtoast
Still no Aggie portal jumpers?
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

We're almost definitely going to take a step back the next year.
I know what you are saying and why, but I think that is almost impossible to say that in this day and age. We have no idea what kind of pieces we will land in the portal this year (and how much eligibility they will have left) and we have no idea what we will land next year. See Alabama this year as a perfect example. Everybody had them dropping off, but they finished one game out of first and now sit in the final 4.
bobinator
AG
True, but do we think we're going to recruit like Alabama?

I've defended Buzz's recruiting, because overall I think it's been okay, but it would have to take a major leap this cycle (and/or next) to expect to replace that kind of production.

We couldn't replace Dexter Dennis' production this cycle, it would take a minor miracle to replace Wade, Andy and Manny (especially if this new Manny is here to stay).
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

True, but do we think we're going to recruit like Alabama?

I've defended Buzz's recruiting, because overall I think it's been okay, but it would have to take a major leap this cycle (and/or next) to expect to replace that kind of production.

We couldn't replace Dexter Dennis' production this cycle, it would take a minor miracle to replace Wade, Andy and Manny (especially if this new Manny is here to stay).
We probably aren't starting at the same place Bama is, so it's still a fair comparison. Buzz hasnt recruited at a level of Alabama so that doesn't matter if he doesn't going forward in this scenario. We aren't saying can A&M be Bama. We are saying can A&M be equal or better to what A&M was the prior year.

bobinator
AG
I guess I'm coming from a place where I'm expecting us to be really good next year. Maybe not Bama good, but 4-5-6 seed-ish good. But yeah, if we're not that good then it won't be as hard to stay as good.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

I guess I'm coming from a place where I'm expecting us to be really good next year. Maybe not Bama good, but 4-5-6 seed-ish good. But yeah, if we're not that good then it won't be as hard to stay as good.
But I would hope if we had a nice season like that, it makes us even more attractive in the portal than we were before.
bobinator
AG
Let's hope! I did say "almost definitely" I left some room to dream!
pierceshipp
AG
https://instagr.am/p/C5TyaA_Rujz
TopoTacos
AG

Oakland Forward Trey Townsend has declared… we should sell him on the ability to continue to beat Kentucky
B-1 83
AG
bobinator said:

I think a manager is a good idea.
It's called an "NIL Pimp". With all the money and other things out there, they'd best have a good one.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
bobinator
AG
I actually thought the idea of a manager was a good idea even before NIL. You'd have to probably get paid either by a flat fee up front for people that could afford it or out of future earnings if they couldn't or something before NIL though.

But I don't think people realize how many people are contacting these kids, it's insane.
B-1 83
AG
Do a Google search for "NIL Agents". It's eye opening.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
DTP02
AG
MarcAg said:

From what I understand he was way too expensive last go around. I wonder if he'd be more open to non-monetary factors this time.
greg.w.h
AG
The fox has offered to "guard" the henhouse…

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-approves-new-nil-guidelines-will-create-agent-registry-in-effort-to-bring-transparency-to-process/
Know Your Enemy
AG
B-1 83 said:

bobinator said:

I think a manager is a good idea.
It's called an "NIL Pimp". With all the money and other things out there, they'd best have a good one.

Jesus Christ, you've really got a bug up your ass about NIL. first you compared the players to slaves and now prostitutes. You really are an embarrassment.
Hop
Staff
AG
DTP02 said:

MarcAg said:

From what I understand he was way too expensive last go around. I wonder if he'd be more open to non-monetary factors this time.

I think his price will be lower this time. I think he's officially on the hot seat in Fayetteville. Also, isn't he originally a west coast guy? It makes sense to reset the coaching clock. At a less stressful environment.
Hop
Staff
AG
FYI, I pinned a 2024 portal thread that was requested if y'all want to use it.
zgolfz85
AG
Hop said:

HOT
The Marksman
AG
Hop said:

Thanks Hop, we appreciate it
LawHall88
AG
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of a pinned thread.
Tamuco99
Hop said:

DTP02 said:

MarcAg said:

I think his price will be lower this time. I think he's officially on the hot seat in Fayetteville. Also, isn't he originally a west coast guy? It makes sense to reset the coaching clock. At a less stressful environment.
Pretty sure he was talking about Mark, not Muss
AggieCrew44
AG
Hop said:

DTP02 said:

MarcAg said:

I think he's talking about Mark
DTP02
AG
Hop said:

DTP02 said:

MarcAg said:

I was talking about Tramon Mark. You seem to be talking about Musselman. I don't think Muss is even on the warm seat in Arkie, but agree that he may want to head west regardless.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.