Portal Season Has Started

66,764 Views | 626 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by pierceshipp
Aldo the Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DTP02 said:

Hop said:

DTP02 said:

MarcAg said:

With the Musselman USC rumors, the Aggie staff should be in Tramom Mark's ear

From what I understand he was way too expensive last go around. I wonder if he'd be more open to non-monetary factors this time.

I think his price will be lower this time. I think he's officially on the hot seat in Fayetteville. Also, isn't he originally a west coast guy? It makes sense to reset the coaching clock. At a less stressful environment.

I was talking about Tramon Mark. You seem to be talking about Musselman. I don't think Muss is even on the warm seat in Arkie, but agree that he may want to head west regardless.

Plugged in hogs told me Mark was had for $350k plus incentives last year. So he was somewhat pricey, but iirc CBS had an article that the average-high level P5 going rate was $200-300k/ year

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-what-nil-price-is-a-projected-high-major-starter-in-the-transfer-looking-portal-looking-for/

B-1 83
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

B-1 83 said:

bobinator said:

I think a manager is a good idea.
It's called an "NIL Pimp". With all the money and other things out there, they'd best have a good one.

Jesus Christ, you've really got a bug up your ass about NIL. first you compared the players to slaves and now prostitutes. You really are an embarrassment.
Wake up and smell reality. When kids dance to team after team, and even legendary coaches retire citing the money and kids involved, you are in serious denial.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Know Your Enemy
AG
B-1 83 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

B-1 83 said:

bobinator said:

It's called an "NIL Pimp". With all the money and other things out there, they'd best have a good one.

Jesus Christ, you've really got a bug up your ass about NIL. first you compared the players to slaves and now prostitutes. You really are an embarrassment.
Wake up and smell reality. When kids dance to team after team, and even legendary coaches retire citing the money and kids involved, you are in serious denial.

Do you work for free? Do you ignore offers for more money from different employers? Are you a prostitute?
sanaug
AG
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I don't know what people expect. The entire college sports economy was built on the players not being able to get their market value, so when that changes overnight it's going to be messy for a while. I can get why older coaches close to retirement anyway don't want to deal with it, but that's the game now. It's going to take a while for this new market to settle.

I do think basketball was more prepared for it than most other sports since most of the high level players were already getting paid anyway. The biggest change for basketball wasn't really NIL being allowed, it's the changing of the transfer rules.
Know Your Enemy
AG
They want to control the lives of the athletes. I could explain the mentality but that would get me banned.
AggByMarriage
Know Your Enemy said:

B-1 83 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

B-1 83 said:

bobinator said:

Do you work for free? Do you ignore offers for more money from different employers? Are you a prostitute?

I thought at the beginning that it would be good to put the NIL money into a trust with some incentives to stay in longer.

Just know if I was handed a bucket of money at the age of 18 I would not be alive today.

Just saying.
bobinator
AG
It only takes knowing one or two players who come from situations where six figure money would drastically change their lives right away to think there shouldn't be any restrictions. It's up to the schools, coaches, families, etc to try and educate them as much as they can on what to do with that money to help themselves long term, but that's all you can do. It's not like most of us at 22 getting our first jobs out of college are that much better with money than when we were 18 unless we've been taught.

Of course it's up to them to listen, all you can do is try, but for some players and their families this is immediately life changing.
Topher17
AG
Which is exactly why having managers/agents is a good thing as long as they're well vetted and trusted by the families employing them.
B-1 83
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

B-1 83 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

B-1 83 said:

bobinator said:

Yep. Exactly the same………..
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Know Your Enemy
AG
B-1 83 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

B-1 83 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

B-1 83 said:

bobinator said:

You're right. Their business makes billions while yours makes millions.
LawHall88
AG
EliteZags
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

B-1 83 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

B-1 83 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

B-1 83 said:

bobinator said:

You're right. Their business makes billions while yours makes millions.

what if he has a small but growing business and a masters degree
HotardRat
AG

This would be an awesome get
FTAG 2000
AG
HotardRat said:

27% from three. Would fit right in
HotardRat
AG
Don't care, he's a great player.
Double Diamond
With the figures on NIL deals coming out, can't blame Buzz if this is a portal season full of under the radar deals. A&M isn't playing the NIL game in basketball.
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
wurmhole
AG
Show me your DAWG face!
BaytownAg13
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

HotardRat said:

27% from three. Would fit right in
Ha! Very true, but he was only a RS Freshman this past year. And PAC-12 freshman of the year at that! Despite the 3-point percentage, this is the kind of guy we need to be getting with the roster overhaul we could have at the end of the 24-25 season.
Know Your Enemy
AG

Damn, Penny's son entered the portal.
sincereag
Double Diamond said:

With the figures on NIL deals coming out, can't blame Buzz if this is a portal season full of under the radar deals. A&M isn't playing the NIL game in basketball.

Agree, Buzz likes team chemistry and offering huge NIL deals to incoming transfers could jeopardize losing some players. I hope we are taking care of our current roster with some very good NIL deals and then looking for decent prospects in the portal like he's done in the past.
85AustinAg
AG
Anybody seen any news about us actually visiting with any of these players or these players coming on a visit here? Great laundry list but anything out there about who maybe was down to the wire when they were recruited to us and the team where the player landed or Texas kids that might want to be closer to home?
LawHall88
AG
Know Your Enemy
AG

I'm friends with his dad. Just texted and asked him to let Finley know that College Station is a great place to live so if we get him you all owe me.
MarcAg
AG
Well it's been 4 hours. Did dad say if A&m is even on his radar as a possibility?
Know Your Enemy
AG
He said he doesn't think we'd be on his list of possible destinations but even he doesn't know what Finley is thinking right now. He may not even have a place he's leaning yet. If/when I get more info I'll share.
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

frenchtoast
Isn't that what those guys called Tuco's abuelita?
Monkeypoxfighter
How does the portal work vs high school recruiting? Are there "official visits" vs unofficial ones? Is there a limit? Can they get paid to appear on campus?
It only took me a year to figure out this place is nuts!
Method Man
Thanks for nothing
Know Your Enemy
AG
Method Man said:

Thanks for nothing

Start of GoFundMe and I'll deliver the cash straight to the kid.
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

pierceshipp
AG
he's a beast

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.