***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

147,071 Views | 3316 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by shack009
shack009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
THJ 0-8 from the field and still brimming with confidence.
gigem1223
Typical Mavs. World beaters against a top team and then a no-show against a bottom feeder. As much as I want to, it's hard get too excited about this team.
zgolfz85
AG
Meh it's just halftime. Gafford with 14 boards already
gigem1223
Can not afford to lose these types of games if the Mavs want to get out of the play in bracket.
shack009
AG
Extremely careless with the ball in the first half. They need to lock it up.
gigem1223
Zero adjustments by this coaching staff. Embarrassing
shack009
AG
78 points through 3 quarters is terrible.
shack009
AG
And Kyrie has missed 2 FTs. Might just be one of those nights...
gigem1223
17% from 3
shack009
AG
Hardy party
shack009
AG
Unreal that they are counting that basket... PJ hung on the rim but the ball was going backwards away from the rim... Emblematic of PJ's night.
gigem1223
Good lord what an atrocious call. That ball wasn't anywhere close to going in….didnt even hit the backboard
shack009
AG
Love Maxi dunking like it's 2019.
gigem1223
So nice to have other viable scoring options when teams double Luka consistently.
shack009
AG
Pushing the pace when ahead with 2 minutes left in the game. Love this version of the Mavs.
gigem1223
Wasn't pretty but it's a good win. Played like **** for 3 quarters and got it done down 10 in the 4th.
shack009
AG
Shot 25% from 3 and 65% from the line. Luckily the Wiz are so bad they actually shot worse percentages in both categories.
HawthornAggie
AG
Longest active winning streak in the NBA
zgolfz85
AG
Gafford's stat line is bonertastic
zgolfz85
AG
And in just 24 mins
Grapesoda2525
Game was ugly as **** and sloppy as hell, but a win is a win.

Hopefully the all star break will let them get some practices together and clean some of this up.
shack009
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Hopefully the all star break will let them get some practices together and clean some of this up.
First we gotta play the Spurs, and Wemby just had a triple double with blocks.

And Keldon becomes an All Star when he plays us.
Grapesoda2525
shack009 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

First we gotta play the Spurs, and Wemby just had a triple double with blocks.

And Keldon becomes an All Star when he plays us.
The spurs stink and they're going to stink until 2026 at the earliest. We still beat the wizards despite shooting really poorly and getting nearly 20 turn overs and giving up tons of offensive rebounds.

I doubt we will come out as flat against San Antonio as we did tonight.
PatAg
AG
gigem1223 said:

Typical Mavs. World beaters against a top team and then a no-show against a bottom feeder. As much as I want to, it's hard get too excited about this team.

Lol
Guitarsoup
AG
https://theathletic.com/5271857/2024/02/13/kyle-kuzma-wizards-mavericks-near-trade/

Quote:

When Wizards chief decision-maker Michael Winger informed Kuzma that the general framework of a trade was in place to send Kuzma to the Mavericks a potential deal that Winger felt only lukewarm about Kuzma told Winger he wanted to remain with the Wizards.

---

It's unclear what draft pick(s) and player(s) Dallas would have sent to Washington in the deal.

----

Asked by The Athletic why he told Winger he wanted to remain with the Wizards instead of joining the Mavericks, Kuzma answered, "In my career, I won a championship. So, I understand that when we play this game of basketball it's not about contending for a playoff spot. It's about contending for an NBA championship. There's only like three or four contenders true contenders. I just felt like our timelines didn't line up."

----

For the Mavericks, the trade talks with the Wizards about Kuzma were not a total dead end. After Winger informed Dallas general manager Nico Harrison there would be no deal for Kuzma, the teams agreed on a different trade. Washington traded center Daniel Gafford to Dallas for a 2024 first-round pick (the more favorable of the LA Clippers' and Oklahoma City Thunder's first-round picks) and center Richaun Holmes.

In a separate move, the Mavericks traded Grant Williams, Seth Curry and a lightly protected 2027 first-round pick to the Charlotte Hornets for forward P.J. Washington.

I think the Mavs are better off without Kuz. Bad defensive player, poor shooter hitting just .329 on 7 3pt attempts per game.

His comments about timelines not lining up for a championship - you are a ****ton closer with Kyrie and Luka in Dallas than with Jordan Poole in Washington.
shack009
AG
Ridiculous comment by him. He has not been a winning player in his career. In the year he won the championship with the Lakers, he had a negative VORP and -2.6 BPM. He has a below average TS% in every season. The guy has no idea what it takes to win championship.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Ridiculous comment by him. He has not been a winning player in his career. In the year he won the championship with the Lakers, he had a negative VORP and -2.6 BPM. He has a below average TS% in every season. The guy has no idea what it takes to win championship.
He shot .430/.313 for the playoffs.

You know what it takes? All-time great talent like LeBron James, Anthony Davis, and Alex Caruso all healthy, in their prime and gelling at the same time.
zgolfz85
AG
between kuzma and dinwiddie yesterday...these dudes need handlers. their agents must be furious. I hope the mavs have put kuz and spencer on the never engage list. I just don't understand why you **** on a team unnecessarily and burn a bridge. good luck with the mavs ever throwing you a late career bone type of contract now. unreal.
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

between kuzma and dinwiddie yesterday...these dudes need handlers. their agents must be furious. I hope the mavs have put kuz and spencer on the never engage list. I just don't understand why you **** on a team unnecessarily and burn a bridge. good luck with the mavs ever throwing you a late career bone type of contract now. unreal.
Neither is burning a bridge. But it shows who they are to a wider audience.

DeJounte Murray said a bunch of dumb stuff about the Spurs, then the Spurs talked about trading back for him.

It is just immature millionaires.

If Kawhi wanted to opt out and sign with the Spurs for the MLE rather than taking his extension, the Spurs would have signed him. Not sure how a guy could burn a bridge more than him quitting on the Spurs, but that would make the team better. if the Mavs thought that trading or signing Dinwiddie or Kuz would improve their championship chances, they would still do it. Especially what I have seen from both is that neither is a championship guy. And I think Kuz has his ring and is happier getting big paychecks and being the #1 option than winning.
mavsfan4ever
AG
What did Dinwiddie say about the Mavs?
MW03
AG
zgolfz85 said:

I think Dinwiddie made a stupid attempt at a bad analogy, but I don't think he intended to slight the Mavs. I took his comments more as "I failed in Brooklyn. I could have gone to Dallas where it was comfortable, but I wanted to press myself so I picked LA where there's more pressure to perform because of the roster."

shack009
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

It was something like he was talking about why he picked the Lakers over the Mavs and he said that the Lakers just know how to win. Seemed to be a shot at the Mavs, but maybe he didn't mean it that way.
zgolfz85
AG
MW03 said:

zgolfz85 said:

I think Dinwiddie made a stupid attempt at a bad analogy, but I don't think he intended to slight the Mavs. I took his comments more as "I failed in Brooklyn. I could have gone to Dallas where it was comfortable, but I wanted to press myself so I picked LA where there's more pressure to perform because of the roster."

I think you might be right there...but, it's been a couple of days and he hasn't clarified his poorly worded comments if so
zgolfz85
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

"Obviously, it's a new situation. Whereas ... I'll give y'all something funny that I told my people because I'm fairly candid," Dinwiddie said. "The two situations kinda felt like this, right? Let's say you were a kid, and you got your ass whooped by the bully. Dallas would've been like your momma being like, 'It's OK, baby. Don't worry about it.' Lakers are like your dad: 'Nah, you better go out there and fight till you win.'
zgolfz85
AG
Guitarsoup said:

zgolfz85 said:

Neither is burning a bridge. But it shows who they are to a wider audience.

DeJounte Murray said a bunch of dumb stuff about the Spurs, then the Spurs talked about trading back for him.

It is just immature millionaires.

If Kawhi wanted to opt out and sign with the Spurs for the MLE rather than taking his extension, the Spurs would have signed him. Not sure how a guy could burn a bridge more than him quitting on the Spurs, but that would make the team better. if the Mavs thought that trading or signing Dinwiddie or Kuz would improve their championship chances, they would still do it. Especially what I have seen from both is that neither is a championship guy. And I think Kuz has his ring and is happier getting big paychecks and being the #1 option than winning.
if my front office isn't considering that bridge burned after a player accuses that front office of not being serious about winning a championship....then I wouldn't have any respect left for said front office.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.