***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

148,676 Views | 3401 Replies | Last: 10 sec ago by PatAg
shack009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

You just have an unreasonable amount of hate, and you arent able to think objectively.
I'd be happy to have him traded, but hes not a bum either, lol.
Thinking about his contract at this point is also a fool's errand.
He is what he is, he's a guy off the bench. Hes no longer our 3rd best player we rely on, which he was obviously not good enough for that role.

I think you're just used to watching a mediocre Mavs team over the past several years. He's actually a bum who should not play anymore. And he is the third highest paid player on the team, which makes it so much worse.

I'll also add that we went on that run in 2022 after he got hurt. Not saying that's the reason, but it could not have hurt.
PatAg
AG
shack009 said:

PatAg said:

You just have an unreasonable amount of hate, and you arent able to think objectively.
He is what he is, he's a guy off the bench. Hes no longer our 3rd best player we rely on, which he was obviously not good enough for that role.

I think you're just used to watching a mediocre Mavs team over the past several years. He's actually a bum who should not play anymore. And he is the third highest paid player on the team, which makes it so much worse.

I'll also add that we went on that run in 2022 after he got hurt. Not saying that's the reason, but it could not have hurt.
If you havent gotten over his ridiculous contract by now, he is just your irrational hatred guy. Everyone has one, but you have to know you are being weird about it.
shack009
AG
PatAg said:

shack009 said:

PatAg said:

If you havent gotten over his ridiculous contract by now, he is just your irrational hatred guy. Everyone has one, but you have to know you are being weird about it.

It's not irrational when the numbers prove it (along with the eye test).

The irrational position is actually to think he's helping the team when he's on the court. He's having the worst year of his career by VORP, and third worst by BPM (2nd worst defensive BPM).
PatAg
AG
He has had games where he has not only helped but probably won them.
That's the player he is and how Kidd should employ him. If he isn't on, then he should play limited minutes (unless every other bench player is also sucking, then who knows)
Tactics wise it doesn't matter what he gets paid, he's either hitting shots or he isn't.
shack009
AG
PatAg said:

He has had games where he has not only helped but probably won them.
That's the player he is and how Kidd should employ him. If he isn't on, then he should play limited minutes (unless every other bench player is also sucking, then who knows)
Tactics wise it doesn't matter what he gets paid, he's either hitting shots or he isn't.

I agree and have said as much. He could win you a couple games a month if he's on fire. But his nature will also lose you 3-4 games a month that you wouldn't have lost with a replacement level player. Everything else about him as a player is just that bad.

Agree that he should be removed immediately if he misses his first shot. You could also argue he should be removed immediately even if he makes his first shot, because that will likely be the best thing he does all game. When he makes a shot you can see the confidence go way up (this is not necessarily a good thing) and he will pull from 30 feet next time he touches the ball.

Bottom line is this: He's actually shooting below league average from 3 this year and he's shooting almost exactly at his career average, which is surprisingly low given his reputation (36.1%). He's quite literally a below average 3 point shooter to go along with being bottom 10th percentile at everything else.
zgolfz85
AG
THJ. So tired of this dude
M.C. Swag
AG
lol can we put like a 24 hour pause on any THJ related commentary?

Mavs have been hanging in there thanks to Luka's brilliance, but the combo of poor shot selection and transition defense is killing us.

I'm not sure if you can beat the Celtics with 5 out and Maxi at the 5. We need Gafford to get some minutes.
zgolfz85
AG
I don't think the thj talk needs a hiatus until he stops doing dumb **** every game. Even in his good shooting games, he has a handful of plays that are just infuriating and mind numbing to watch
Grapesoda2525
This road trip was an epic failure. I mean I know the competition was stiff, we faced 3 of the hottest 5 teams in the league in their buildings, but 1-3 isn't a good result and we didn't even really compete in 2 of these games.
HawthornAggie
AG
Tough game for Kyrie
zgolfz85
AG
Why the hell did Gafford only get 6 mins?!
PatAg
AG
Kidd is a bad coach
PatAg
AG
National media is the worst
M.C. Swag
AG
Disappointing showing from the entire team. Top to bottom embarrassing effort.
PatAg
AG
Is Exum hurt or getting over something? I dont get Kidd's rotations or really any choices he makes. Even the right choices are made way too late.
PatAg
AG
Luka putting his ankle through the works the last few games
qunique_2004
AG
PatAg said:

Kidd is a bad coach

Absolutely terrible. He should have been gone after last years debacle.
HawthornAggie
AG
Is it too soon to talk about Hardaway?
15 minutes, 1-8 shooting including 0-6 from 3.
2 points.
hph6203
AG
Nothing to sneeze at. - Some guy paid millions on ESPN with a severely receding hairline
Guitarsoup
AG
HawthornAggie said:

2 points.

THJ is 3rd on 6MOY odds right now in Vegas
HawthornAggie
AG
Guitarsoup said:

HawthornAggie said:

2 points.

THJ is 3rd on 6MOY odds right now in Vegas

I'll make enough donations to Vegas this year, no need to add more
hph6203
AG
A suckers born every minute.
South Platte
We is what we is. A little better than last year, but essentially similar results. Wasting Luka's best years. Doncic is frustrated and takes it out on the officials. Rinse and repeat.
M.C. Swag
AG
At the end of the day the defense is what's killing this team. They don't seem well prepared and don't seem to know what defensive principles they want to execute. Everything feels 'chaotic.'

Over the last 5 games, Dallas has been dead last in defensive rating. That isn't just 1 player's fault, that's preparation, execution, and scheme. Jason Kidd has to be fired because he simply isn't doing his job.
zgolfz85
AG
M.C. Swag said:

At the end of the day the defense is what's killing this team. They don't seem well prepared and don't seem to know what defensive principles they want to execute. Everything feels 'chaotic.'

Over the last 5 games, Dallas has been dead last in defensive rating. That isn't just 1 player's fault, that's preparation, execution, and scheme. Jason Kidd has to be fired because he simply isn't doing his job.
but they've gone on stretches where it's been beyond serviceable and even respectable. As with most head scratchers with this team, I put that on J Kidd to a large extent. He should have the team playing consistent identity ball night in and night out. Along with the atrocious lineups he throws out there in super confusing fashion a few times a game, it's my biggest knock on him. He's never had this team playing with any kind of discernible identity for more than a handful of games at a time. Even during our conference championship run, it was a new team every night we rolled out there and somehow made it through.
zgolfz85
AG
What is happening with this team right now ffs
M.C. Swag
AG
The demise of Jason Kidd
PatAg
AG
Kidd can't be gone soon enough
fightinags2013
AG
I'm out until Kidd is.
shack009
AG
Just heard a brutal segment from The Hardline that aired yesterday before another disaster of a loss. A listener wrote to Bob that Kidd has had 4 good months as the Mavs coach (I think considering regular season only): January 2022 to April 2022. During those months, Dallas opponents shot 32% on open 3 pointers and 33% overall from 3. In all other months as the Mavs coach, Kidd is 88-89.

So the Mavs have had 4 good regular season months with Kidd as coach and it's basically because the Mavs got very lucky with bad opponent 3PT%, not because of anything the Mavs were doing defensively.

He also noted that Kidd was .500 as the Bucks coach and once they fired him and hired Bud, they went to a 60 win team. They went from a bottom 5 defense and bottom 5 rebounding team to a top defense and top rebounding team in one year.
M.C. Swag
AG
M.C. Swag said:

The Mavs didn't make a single adjustment to the prior Pacers game. Last night, the game opened the exact same way...with Lively dropping in PnR coverage and allowing Myles Turner space to shoot unconested jumpers. Turner was on pace to score 40 pts this game before Kidd finally adjusted by putting Lively on Siakam and PJ on Turner, but by then it was too late.

We have the worst coach. Players are over helping from the corner and allowing teams to bomb away from 3. Ben Sheppard literally has 1 nba skill (shooting corner 3s) and the Mavs allowed him open looks again and again.
MW03
AG
MW03
AG
Season total +/-, sorted by mins played

Luka +121, 37.6 mpg
Kyrie +106, 34.3
PJ +32, 32.4
THJ -15, 28.8
Green -74, 27.3
DL2 +108, 24.7
DJJ -46, 24
Maxi -4, 22
Exum +121, 19.1
Gafford -22, 17.2
Hardy -78, 14.6
DP +60, 14.4
zgolfz85
AG
Kidd = buzz….but way less likable
EastSideAg2002
I still think the WC finals appearance was fueled by shooting out of our minds on threes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.