***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

148,182 Views | 3376 Replies | Last: 24 sec ago by shack009
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Barf

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37997024/mavericks-kyrie-irving-partners-anta-new-shoe-deal
Ol Jock 99
AG
Trying to find a single eff to give....
Zachary Klement
AG
Still wild that Nike canceled him but is riding with Ja and Zion.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol I've never heard of ANTA
Zachary Klement
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Lol I've never heard of ANTA
I think Klay Thompson has a signature shoe with them. Alex Caruso, Kevon Looney, James Wiseman, Gordon Hayward, and Bruce Brown all wear their shoes among a few others.
zgolfz85
AG
Not that nike is much better on the China front, but I do find it hilarious that kyrie of all players would align with a Chinese brand. It's one thing to stay silent on China stuff being an nba player and pretending Nike isn't fully in bed with China, but to just go straight to the source as a social justice guy is just so 2023
shack009
AG
How many Jews are there in China?
Guitarsoup
AG
And I thought it was Dillon Brooks that needed to learn Chinese
NoahAg
Revisiting Bojan
M.C. Swag
AG
That would suck and basically means there's no other takers for THJ. And if anyone is wondering, the reason Dallas would do this is because the last year of Bojan's deal is only guaranteed for $2m (which is basically the vet min).
NoahAg
I certainly want Capela, but devil's advocate, swapping THJ for Bojan is a net positive money-wise, right?
Basketball wise, he had a career high in ppg last season and still shoots a high 3 pt %. With Seth, Luka, Kyrie, and Bojan our outside shooting would be pretty stout.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Does jelly have a shot to make the team? I'm guessing not because miles is getting more minutes.
shack009
AG
I doubt it. There are plenty of scoring guards on the team and he's really small. He's also really bad defensively. Mike Miles can do everything Jelly can do, but Mike is three inches taller.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea didn't think he had much of a shot. He's better than miles on offense in my opinion but both have looked good.
Grapesoda2525
Think there will be another roster move? They need 1 more big type player.
Guitarsoup
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Would have to think so. There is 6.3mm in space below the tax and 11.3 below the hard cap.

Christian Wood still has no takers. Dallas could potentially bring someone back if someone really wanted him.

Not a ton out there. Kelly Oubre? PJ Washington?
shack009
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Yes. They are being patient with Siakam to Atlanta. Seems like the whole league is waiting on Dame and Harden stuff to drop first, then teams will know where everybody stands and who needs what.

It s my expectation that JaVale and THJ will not be on the team by the start of the season.
M.C. Swag
AG
THJ is weird because he's obviously a solid role player and a great teammate. Like, he showed up to the SL games to cheer on the rooks and Mark even went on a radio interview and said something like "Timmy isn't going anywhere." Which, I know is just owner speak and means literally nothing coming from Cuban. But, I hope the Mavs don't move THJ just to move him. Like, if there's a good deal to strike, by all means trade Tim, but don't force it. He's on a pretty good deal, is a great lockerroom vet, and has shown willingness to start or come off the bench. He's got his faults but I think he's still squarely in the "Asset" class for this team.
zgolfz85
AG
M.C. Swag said:

THJ is weird because he's obviously a solid role player and a great teammate. Like, he showed up to the SL games to cheer on the rooks and Mark even went on a radio interview and said something like "Timmy isn't going anywhere." Which, I know is just owner speak and means literally nothing coming from Cuban. But, I hope the Mavs don't move THJ just to move him. Like, if there's a good deal to strike, by all means trade Tim, but don't force it. He's on a pretty good deal, is a great lockerroom vet, and has shown willingness to start or come off the bench. He's got his faults but I think he's still squarely in the "Asset" class for this team.
agreed. I'm more than ready to move on from him if there's a viable deal out there, but don't force it. We'll still need someone to blame all our woes on come season-time....I guess we still have dwight though to blame everything on
shack009
AG
Sure, I hope it's the right move too, but I wouldn't go so far to say it's a pretty good deal. He'll make $4-5 mil more than Grant Williams this year, but Grant will be way more important to the team.

If THJ isn't making shots he's useless. And when he was on that run where he shot like 60% from 3 over a few weeks after the All Star break last year, were the Mavs winning all those games? I don't think so, but I don't remember, tbh.

Would you do the Detroit deal at this point? I'd ship out THJ to get Bojan for sure. It seems like either Bojan or Capela will be on this team and not THJ, and I'm fine with that (stoked if it's Capela).
M.C. Swag
AG
shack009 said:

Sure, I hope it's the right move too, but I wouldn't go so far to say it's a pretty good deal. He'll make $4-5 mil more than Grant Williams this year, but Grant will be way more important to the team.

If THJ isn't making shots he's useless. And when he was on that run where he shot like 60% from 3 over a few weeks after the All Star break last year, were the Mavs winning all those games? I don't think so, but I don't remember, tbh.

Would you do the Detroit deal at this point? I'd ship out THJ to get Bojan for sure. It seems like either Bojan or Capela will be on this team and not THJ, and I'm fine with that (stoked if it's Capela).
Eh comparing raw salary amounts to diff players is always tricky because timing is everything. Sure THJ makes more than Grant but I can argue he's earned that amount. He shoots 40% from 3pt on high volme which provides gravity and spacing, avgs 15ppg, and can create his own shot in a pinch. That's a valuable skillset (maybe not to the mavs, but certainly to the league). lol but I could frame it like this...he makes $1m less than Evan Fournier and $2m less than Joe Harris. That make you feel better? lol Like overall his cap hit is 91st in the NBA...that seems reasonable. And the fact that it declines and expires after next year is a bonus.

I hate the detroit deal because you're banking on the 'cap space' plan again. I don't trust this FO to use cap space, so I'd rather trade him to make functional roster improvements. Not arbitrary 'plan powder.'

Capela would be a functional roster improvement, so i'd be cool with that.
shack009
AG
He'll make the 3rd most money on the team and at best you could argue he's the 6th most important player. That doesn't count Hardy, either of the rookies, or any of the centers.

I do the Bojan deal because he makes the team better next year. Ideally we get in on a 3 teamer where Capela is heading this way.
M.C. Swag
AG
shack009 said:

He'll make the 3rd most money on the team and at best you could argue he's the 6th most important player. That doesn't count Hardy, either of the rookies, or any of the centers.

I do the Bojan deal because he makes the team better next year. Ideally we get in on a 3 teamer where Capela is heading this way.
Idk I guess we just look at his salary differently then. It's a very movable contract that I think is more than fair for his contributions to a team as a shot maker. Prior to the Kyrie trade, he was literally the only shot creator on the team other than Luka haha (I'll count Hardy when he's a real rotation player - hopefully this season).

Bojan would make the team better, I'll grant you that, but then he's gone. I just think THJ has more value than trading for a 34 yr old expiring guy that doesnt really address any need. Like, Bojan wouldn't fundamentally alter the trajectory of this roster, so why make that move? Makes me nervous when the response is "cap space."

Capela would address an obvious need, so that's pretty much a universal agreement.
shack009
AG
We may be viewing the contract differently. The contract hinders the Mavs because he's extremely redundant on this roster and doesn't really bring anything we don't have now. He could be valuable to a team that needs shooting and offense with little to no defense. Idk platelet agree that it's movable and not ridiculous. Just not great for this roster construction.

I'm fine with the Bojan trade because he makes us better this season. THJ does not make this team better in 24-25, so I don't think it's a big deal. Bojan plays better defense and provides more playmaking. He's just better than THJ in every single way. But yes, that would leave work to do for the FO next offseason.
shack009
AG
And this FO has earned a lot of trust this off-season, IMO.
M.C. Swag
AG
shack009 said:

And this FO has earned a lot of trust this off-season, IMO.
100%.

I'll also admit I'm a sucker for team guys. Outside of Powell, I feel like THJ is the most self sacrificing guy on the team. He's just a pro. Always takes care of his body, never pouts, never seems disgruntled if he plays 30 min 1 night and then is DNP'd the next. His shot selection and defensive awareness drive me crazy but I never feel like he isn't giving his all to the team. It's always hard for me to trade a guy like that BUT I guess detroit is his home so maybe it wouldn't be a bad deal for anyone.
zgolfz85
AG
he's no doubt a great locker room guy and pro
shack009
AG
Well Theo is gone now. Maybe it's time for the young core to be the heart and soul of this team's character. I know Grant won't have any trouble being a vocal leader.
Guitarsoup
AG
So if the Mavs get Bojan for THJ, what are they going to try to get Capela in a Raptors-Hawks three way? Hoping one of those teams would take Wood, Holmes, or McGee?

Wood's contract would have to be 3 or 4 years long for a S&T. Not sure the Raptors would want that at a salary Wood would want.

And idea on what a proposed trade without THJ would be?
shack009
AG
I think the Bojan deal is a backup to the Capela deal. I think it can only be one and not the other.

Capela is Plan A and Bojan is Plan B.
zgolfz85
AG
I'm lost on where we are with cwood. I thought there was no chance he could be a part of this roster...is that still true?
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

I'm lost on where we are with cwood. I thought there was no chance he could be a part of this roster...is that still true?
Doesn't seem like anyone wants him on their roster. Black hole on defense, good scorer. Seems like he wanted a ton more than he is worth.

I think he ends up taking a 1y deal for way less than he wanted and tries again next year, but I don't think that will be in Dallas.

You kind of need to have him in a place where you can hide his defense next to a great defensive player, so that limits where you can send him, and teams can't bring in a S&T player if they have salaries over the first apron. Half the teams in the NBA are already out on any S&T just because of the hard cap.

Hard Cap at 169mm:
Teams that can't S&T:
GSW, LAC, Phoenix, Miami, Milwaukee, Boston, Denver, Philly, NOLA

Teams that would have to get creative to stay under the hard cap:
Lakers, Cavs, Raptors, Wolves, Knicks

Maybe the Pacers would want him to add some big scoring, since they could always have Turner or Walker on the court?

I honestly think he just signs a 1y with a BAE or something and tries again. Maybe if Minnesota can work a deal out for KAT, you bring him in to rotate in with Gobert and Naz.
zgolfz85
AG
if no one takes him, is there a chance of getting him to stay in Dallas for a lowball contract, or does that get us in cap trouble?
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

if no one takes him, is there a chance of getting him to stay in Dallas for a lowball contract, or does that get us in cap trouble?
Dallas is at 161.7mm in actual salaries, need 1 more roster spot filled and hard cap at ~169mm.
zgolfz85
AG
Guitarsoup said:

zgolfz85 said:

Dallas is at 161.7mm in actual salaries, need 1 more roster spot filled and hard cap at ~169mm.
thanks, unless capela or pj hits, I'd prefer to keep cwood, assuming he'd be a team player (and that's a big if). dude can score. We can now be strategic with what other players we pair him with to make up for his defensive void. you could have maxi and cwood out there together, potentially lively and cwood down the line, cwood and grant at the 4/small ball 5, etc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.