***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

148,253 Views | 3379 Replies | Last: 29 sec ago by dallasiteinsa02
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's also from LA and grew up a Lakers fan, I think.

Either way, it was a ****head comment. I just think the dude has too many friends on this roster and in management to **** talk the team, unless he's cross with Cuban for trading him away to Brooklyn, but that wasn't the vibe last week when he was sitting and watching the team play.

Regardless, I only wanted Dinwiddie specifically because it was a comfortable fit. I don't think he was a game changing add for anyone. He'll play more in LA, so if he's looking for a chance to showcase that he still has talent, Godspeed.
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Guitarsoup said:

zgolfz85 said:

between kuzma and dinwiddie yesterday...these dudes need handlers. their agents must be furious. I hope the mavs have put kuz and spencer on the never engage list. I just don't understand why you **** on a team unnecessarily and burn a bridge. good luck with the mavs ever throwing you a late career bone type of contract now. unreal.
Neither is burning a bridge. But it shows who they are to a wider audience.

DeJounte Murray said a bunch of dumb stuff about the Spurs, then the Spurs talked about trading back for him.

It is just immature millionaires.

If Kawhi wanted to opt out and sign with the Spurs for the MLE rather than taking his extension, the Spurs would have signed him. Not sure how a guy could burn a bridge more than him quitting on the Spurs, but that would make the team better. if the Mavs thought that trading or signing Dinwiddie or Kuz would improve their championship chances, they would still do it. Especially what I have seen from both is that neither is a championship guy. And I think Kuz has his ring and is happier getting big paychecks and being the #1 option than winning.
if my front office isn't considering that bridge burned after a player accuses that front office of not being serious about winning a championship....then I wouldn't have any respect left for said front office.
Nico don't care about your respect, he cares about what can make them a better team and move closer to the championship.

Players largely are dumb and immature and now they are showing up on podcasts and stuff all the time and unfiltered.

LeBron could say that Nico is just a shoe executive, and shouldn't be a GM. But if LeBron wants to take the vet min to join his best buddy Kyrie and Luka says yes, Nico absolutely pulls him in. Gotta let stuff roll off your back and do what is best for the team and the business.
Grapesoda2525
Who will they use the extra roster spot on now?
M.C. Swag
AG
Honestly, there's really no one worth the spot. I'd convert AJ Lawson to a full time player contract and use the 2 way on another young guy (bring back Dexter Dennis perhaps?)
hph6203
AG
Betting they convert AJ Lawson and then sign a body to replace him.
zgolfz85
AG
They'll probably convert AJ, but selfishly I want Dex back…and more upside there anyways
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol well ***** Dexter was literally traded hours ago, so there goes that possibility haha

M.C. Swag
AG
Big game tonight. Mavs have a chance to head into the all star break on 6 straight wins. And doing it against the Spurs would be an amazing valentine's gift!
zgolfz85
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Big game tonight. Mavs have a chance to head into the all star break on 6 straight wins. And doing it against the Spurs would be an amazing valentine's gift!
good, we all need it after last night's travesty in nashville....
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Yeah it really is a big game. If you win, you are feeling really good about yourself for the next 8 days with reinforcements coming. If you lose, you are looking back at 2 rough performances where you went 1-1 against 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league. Need these games against bad teams.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Yeah it really is a big game. If you win, you are feeling really good about yourself for the next 8 days with reinforcements coming. If you lose, you are looking back at 2 rough performances where you went 1-1 against 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league. Need these games against bad teams.
it would depend how we lose though. if wemby has one of those magical games that he's had a few of this season where he just goes off and can't miss a bucket, can't feel too bad about that. It'll unfortunately be the norm for them at some point, but just an occasional thing for him in his rookie season. Need to get our licks in while we can.
shack009
AG
Really good close to the half after a sluggish start. Keep making them pay when Wemby is on the bench.
Guitarsoup
AG
Do y'all still want big men? I'll give you a first to take Zach Collins
shack009
AG
Love to see a 3 go down for PJ. His defense is non stop even though he hasn't been knocking down shots. The h have clearly told him to keep shooting.
shack009
AG
Kyrie feeling himself
PatAg
AG
we're nasty
zgolfz85
AG
Nice stretch heading into the break. Hope we get exum back soon
M.C. Swag
AG
Wemby looked like an All Star against Gafford and Powell, and in the 4 mins he shared the floor against Lively, i forgot he existed and Mavs went on a run.

We have our Wemby stopper and the Mavs are 9 games over .500 heading into the all star break.
shack009
AG
So glad Lively played tonight. You can tell he makes a huge difference for this team.
MW03
AG
HawthornAggie
AG
Forgive my ignorance, but what does net rating tell us? What does it mean to have a net rating of 20 vs a net rating of 18?
MW03
AG
It's offense rating minus defense rating over possessions (as opposed to minutes). Think of it like a score, but by 100 possessions. Dallas is "out scoring" its opponents by the net rating since the trade. It's just normalized to account for pace of play.
MW03
AG
Over the season, Boston has the best net by 100 at 10.3. Dallas is 13th at 1.3.

Over the last 10 games, Dallas is 6th at 10.1.

Over the last 6 games, Dallas is 2nd at 17.3.

Over the last 3 games (post trade), Dallas is 2nd at 20.1.

We're all chasing Boston, that's a hell of a trend.

Edit: My data is from nba.com. Not sure where the 20.9 compared to Boston at 17 is coming from in the tweet, but the data is still good either way.
Grapesoda2525
PJ Washington looks like he really needs the all star break. Getting the guy some team practices and individual practice time should be just what he needs to get his shot going. He looks dreadful shooting the ball right now. I like his effort and defense tho.
Grapesoda2525
Glad the warriors lost. Really don't like that team.
HawthornAggie
AG
MW03 said:

It's offense rating minus defense rating over possessions (as opposed to minutes). Think of it like a score, but by 100 possessions. Dallas is "out scoring" its opponents by the net rating since the trade. It's just normalized to account for pace of play.

Thanks for explaining!
shack009
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

PJ Washington looks like he really needs the all star break. Getting the guy some team practices and individual practice time should be just what he needs to get his shot going. He looks dreadful shooting the ball right now. I like his effort and defense tho.
Yeah the shot hasn't fallen yet, but his defensive activity and the way he has been a connecting piece and secondary creator on offense has been really nice. We haven't had a guy like him in a while. He may not be able to shoot the best we have seen, but he's the best wing/forward we have had who can attack off the dribble and hit a floater, dump off to the big for a dunk, or swing across the court for another open 3.

I like what he has brought a lot, even though he hasn't necessarily stuffed the stat sheet.
Grapesoda2525
shack009 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Yeah the shot hasn't fallen yet, but his defensive activity and the way he has been a connecting piece and secondary creator on offense has been really nice. We haven't had a guy like him in a while. He may not be able to shoot the best we have seen, but he's the best wing/forward we have had who can attack off the dribble and hit a floater, dump off to the big for a dunk, or swing across the court for another open 3.

I like what he has brought a lot, even though he hasn't necessarily stuffed the stat sheet.
Oh yeah for sure. I like him already. Just off the top of my head he's probably shooting 1 out of 25 from 3 in a mavs uniform so far. He needs to get that up a bit.
shack009
AG
I have good news for you: He's 2 for 12.
jeffdjohnson

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401469036

I didn't realize how bad things were last year, but this was the rotation in the game before the all star break in a loss to Denver.

Bullock is a bench player barely getting 10 mins a game on Houston now. Frank Ntilikina was waived by Charlotte and likely heading to Europe or China next. Powell is (thankfully) now a deep bench player behind Lively, Gafford, and Kleber for minutes. Wood is lucky to get 15 minutes on the floor for LAL. McGee was cut and gets 7 minutes per game for SAC. Pinson is out of the league. Wright IV is out of the league. This **** was dark.
shack009
AG

Jeez
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

Jeez

And bouncing him out also improved the look of the team cuz that dude is ugly af
hph6203
AG
And now he's shooting 50/35, 17 ppg and 7 Reb and the Hornets have a 3 game win streak. They were 3-27 in their last 30 games.

Note: Not a statement of I'd rather have Williams.
hph6203
AG
shack009
AG
Not massive news, but somewhat disappointed Exum will be out again for Thursday. Would like to have another body to throw at Booker and/or Beal, if he's playing.

This is the tiebreaker game for the season and could end up being big.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.