***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

151,131 Views | 3478 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by HawthornAggie
shack009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a way to win a game against one of the worst teams in the league. Classic us.
gigem1223
Gritty road win on a night Luka struggled (but still managed a triple double)
Guitarsoup
AG
I Think we can all agree that Exum should be starting PG
gigem1223
No help from the league tonight
shack009
AG
gigem1223 said:

No help from the league tonight
Both the Kings and Suns played one of their remaining easy games last night. SAC gets fortunate that their back-to-back road games are against two of the worst remaining teams on their schedule (they play WSH tonight).

Sacramento's remaining schedule is still really difficult. They play at Orlando on 3/23 which will be their third game in 4 days. Their last 11 games include 6 games against good Western Conference playoff teams as well as at BOS and at NYK.

Mavs should be ok if we split our remaining 2 games against SAC, but if we go 2-0, that would almost guarantee the 6 spot.
shack009
AG
And Phoenix's schedule is even more difficult than SAC's. Phoenix still has 8 games against teams that are currently in the top 5 in the west. Phoenix has 3 "easy" games, and 2 of those are against San Antonio, who won at Phoenix before Wemby was even playing well (I was at that game and it was glorious ).
zgolfz85
AG
I just want that 6....don't care who we play, as long as we avoid play-in
shack009
AG
Mostly agree, but think it's pretty important we don't play Denver.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

Mostly agree, but think it's pretty important we don't play Denver.
oh for sure...we'll have to face them at some point, but would rather than be the WCF if at all possible. Like the Ags, just want us to make a decent run. I don't see us having any shot at a ship, but I said the same last time we got to the conf finals, so who knows. a consistently hot kyrie and luka could take anyone down
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

I want to see Dallas throttle the Wolves in the first round.

Wolves are already at the second apron with just 10 players next year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

zgolfz85 said:

I want to see Dallas throttle the Wolves in the first round.

Wolves are already at the second apron with just 10 players next year.

And the current capital firm that was going to back the ARrod group has backed out of their $300 million investment.
gigem1223
Pels and Kings both losing in the 4th. Need to get this W tonight.
Grapesoda2525
Pelicans and kings both lost. Big opportunity for mavs to improve their playoff positioning tonight.
Guitarsoup
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Pelicans and kings both lost. Big opportunity for mavs to improve their playoff positioning tonight.
Sacramento should be banned from the playoffs for losing to Washington. Kuzma had 31 and Mavs great Richaun Holmes had 16 boards.
Chapa96
AG

Got my hat and the Bucket Hat as well.

gigem1223
Back in the 6 spot
shack009
AG
I watched exactly 0% of this game. The box score is hilarious. Luka's numbers are really good and Kyrie's are actually down from his recent run. Yet Luka was -3 and Kyrie was +37.
zgolfz85
AG
Luka was still in with us up 20ish with under 3 mins to go. So dumb
dave94
AG
zgolfz85 said:

They made a run and got within 11 just before that, I didn't have a problem and they pulled him when it was certain.
zgolfz85
AG
dave94 said:

zgolfz85 said:

They made a run and got within 11 just before that, I didn't have a problem and they pulled him when it was certain.

Ah I was just watching box score with tourney hoops going on
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Pelicans also lost Ingram for at least the next two weeks. They play again tonight at Miami, who is favored by a few points. Mavs could be a game out of 5th after tonight.
GrapevineAg
AG
A friend took me to the game last night - total dunk fest. I think I saw a tweet afterwards that said it was the most dunks by a team in 3years.
shack009
AG
GrapevineAg said:

A friend took me to the game last night - total dunk fest. I think I saw a tweet afterwards that said it was the most dunks by a team in 3years.

I heard it was 20 years
shack009
AG
GrapevineAg
AG
My bad - good catch. It sure seemed like a lot of dunks at the time.
shack009
AG
GrapevineAg said:

My bad - good catch. It sure seemed like a lot of dunks at the time.

Just imagine someone tells you we break this record before the season started….
shack009
AG

This one was by far my favorite.
jeffdjohnson
I think it is notable that THJ and PJ Washington are shooting well below their averages from 3 during this run. Frankly, no one is shooting particularly well right now and the Mavs keep bludgeoning people. I don't have high expectations from PJ as a shooter but I won't be surprised if we start seeing him make a few shots.

What the Mavs really need though is for THJ or Hardy (or maybe even Green when he returns) to be a reliable 3-point shooter off the bench. Luka and Kyrie are good enough offensive players that I think they can still be effective without a well spaced floor. Come playoff time though, I don't see how they advance without someone else making a damn shot. It's still great that they can win in multiple ways though right now and aren't completely reliant on hitting 40% from 3 to win a game.
shack009
AG
Completely agree. It's so refreshing that this team can win games in ways we haven't seen over the past few seasons. Only way we could guarantee a win in the past was shooting at least 35% from 3. All of our ins recently have been bad shooting games.

Josh Green is the second best 3PT shooter on the team at over 40% again this year. With him it will just be a matter of being able to good PNR defense. He is terrible as the defender on the ball handler during a PNR and PNR frequency goes way up in the postseason. Can he keep up the shooting when he gets back and play passable defense and don't do the stupid stuff that he sometimes likes to do.

With PJ, his shot is not busted. He has decent form. I think he is what he is for the rest of this season. He's actually good at 3 pointers above the break and he is terrible (like worst in the league) at corner 3s. You don't usually see it that way. I think his main focus this offseason should be getting that 3PT% up and if he becomes just an average corner 3PT shooter then this team will be crazy good next year. But I'm not really expecting a reversion to the mean for him this season, unfortunately.
gigem1223
Completely fine with PJ currently. His defense has been amazing lately. As long as he can slow the #1 on the other team, I don't need much offensively from him.
Grapesoda2525
At least 1 team helped us tonight. Indiana beat golden state. Would be nice if we could get a little more help the next few days while we aren't playing.
zgolfz85
AG
Damn Orlando, thanks for the help
M.C. Swag
AG
How are we below the Suns? We own the tie breaker
zgolfz85
AG
M.C. Swag said:

How are we below the Suns? We own the tie breaker

Yeah wtf

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.