***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

147,601 Views | 3349 Replies | Last: 31 sec ago by gigem1223
shack009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Looks like everyone is playing tonight for Dallas
Well the two important guys are playing, yes. But having just traded Grant, and Exum and Lively still out, it's definitely a B-team-heavy game tonight.

Unless you mean the newly acquired guys are playing tonight, in which case I had not seen that and assumed they would sit out tonight.
zgolfz85
AG
yeah we won't have the newly acquired guys, but curry and holmes barely played anyways. It's really just grant that's out. We'll still have Luka, Kyrie, THJ, Green, DJJ and Hardy though....which will hopefully be enough...
shack009
AG
Yeah the available forwards are Powell, Maxi, DJJ and OMax. We will be really small tonight.
Grapesoda2525
Seems like we always have to fight the LA teams / Miami for these bought out guys. If we don't get dinwiddie after offering him more money and having a pre-existing relationship it will be a kick in the balls.
TDub
AG
Dinwiddie sitting behind the Mavs bench tonight
shack009
AG
I think people are overreacting a little bit to Dinwiddie. There's a reason he's a buyout guy now.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

I think people are overreacting a little bit to Dinwiddie. There's a reason he's a buyout guy now.

Give me another guy that can actually find a shot not named Luka or Kyrie or thj (kind of)
M.C. Swag
AG
He's not gonna save a franchise but he was awesome for the Mavs as the 3rd Guard. He'd be perfect Kyrie/Exum insurance and would basically guarantee THJ never plays if we don't absolutely have to play him.
shack009
AG
zgolfz85 said:

shack009 said:

Give me another guy that can actually find a shot not named Luka or Kyrie or thj (kind of)

Yeah me too. Is that Dinwiddie though? He's under 40% FG on the season.
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

He's not gonna save a franchise but he was awesome for the Mavs as the 3rd Guard. He'd be perfect Kyrie/Exum insurance and would basically guarantee THJ never plays if we don't absolutely have to play him.

I'd take him if that were true about THJ, but I think Kidd thinks THJ is really good for this team.
M.C. Swag
AG
shack009 said:

M.C. Swag said:

I'd take him if that were true about THJ, but I think Kidd thinks THJ is really good for this team.

Well either way we have an open roster spot and Mavs need to use it on someone. Not sure there's anyone who's better and Guard depth is always key with Kyrie on the roster!
FTAco07
AG
shack009 said:

M.C. Swag said:

You do realize THJ has better numbers across the board this year right? I will never understand the THJ hate unless your expectation of his is to be a top 2 piece of a contending team. He has his flaws certainly, but guy can score and is one of only 3 or 4 guys on our entire team that can get his own buckets.

I liked Dinwiddie when he was here, but he's been downright awful this year and wanting him to be anything other than injury insurance, let alone replace your 3rd best scorer, is just nostalgic or insane.
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

shack009 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Well either way we have an open roster spot and Mavs need to use it on someone. Not sure there's anyone who's better and Guard depth is always key with Kyrie on the roster!
I agree with that. I wouldn't want him taking away minutes from Exum, when Exum is good to go. Not sure we have any idea what is going on with him though.
shack009
AG
FTAco07 said:

shack009 said:

M.C. Swag said:

You do realize THJ has better numbers across the board this year right? I will never understand the THJ hate unless your expectation of his is to be a top 2 piece of a contending team. He has his flaws certainly, but guy can score and is one of only 3 or 4 guys on our entire team that can get his own buckets.

I liked Dinwiddie when he was here, but he's been downright awful this year and wanting him to be anything other than injury insurance, let alone replace your 3rd best scorer, is just nostalgic or insane.
THJ is under 42% from the field and has a below league average TS%. You can't be below league average TS% when you are that bad at defense. Advanced metrics say THJ is worse than a replacement player.
FTAco07
AG
shack009 said:

FTAco07 said:

shack009 said:

M.C. Swag said:

THJ is under 42% from the field and has a below league average TS%. You can't be below league average TS% when you are that bad at defense. Advanced metrics say THJ is worse than a replacement player.

Now do Dinwiddie.

I'm not going to argue THJ is a great player or worth his contract, but I will continue to say he's our third best scorer and can win you a game any given night (while acknowledging he can also shoot you out of one).
shack009
AG
FTAco07 said:

shack009 said:

FTAco07 said:

shack009 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Now do Dinwiddie
Did you see my posts above?

Edit: And as bad as Dinwiddie has been offensively this year, he still has a VORP above 0.
FTAco07
AG
Sorry, I miss quoted your post. I was trying to respond to the post you quoted asking for him to replace THJ.
shack009
AG
FTAco07 said:

shack009 said:

FTAco07 said:

shack009 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Now do Dinwiddie.

I'm not going to argue THJ is a great player or worth his contract, but I will continue to say he's our third best scorer and can win you a game any given night (while acknowledging he can also shoot you out of one).
A few pages back I said he maybe wins us 2-3 games a month by himself but he also loses us about 5 with how terrible he is defensively. He consistently has substantially negative +/-.
shack009
AG
FTAco07 said:

Sorry, I miss quoted your post. I was trying to respond to the post you quoted asking for him to replace THJ.
Well he's a better overall player than THJ, so I'll stand by that. Advanced numbers bear that out.
FTAco07
AG
And I maintain the idea of replacing THJ with Dinwiddie is absolutely a downgrade in reality. I believe and like analytics, but you can't just plug and play numbers. THJ is absolutely more useful and better for this team than Dinwiddie barring a significant injury to Luka or Kyrie
dave94
AG
Dinwiddie can log important minutes at PG. That's what he brings
M.C. Swag
AG
FTAco07 said:

You mean me? All I said was that Dinwiddie would be Kyrie/Exum INSURANCE and he gives you the option of never HAVING to play THJ. As in, he provides OPTIONALITY.

Never did I say he was having a better year than THJ.
shack009
AG
FTAco07 said:

And I maintain the idea of replacing THJ with Dinwiddie is absolutely a downgrade in reality. I believe and like analytics, but you can't just plug and play numbers. THJ is absolutely more useful and better for this team than Dinwiddie barring a significant injury to Luka or Kyrie
Well Dinwiddie was a better offensive player on this team the previous two years than THJ has been in most years. Since Dinwiddie was on this team previously you actually can kinda plug in numbers.

By the way, THJ is having his worst overall year on this team and third best offensive year, so defending him right now seems a bit odd.
FTAco07
AG
Never "having" to play him means you would rather replace our third leading scorer with someone else who plays a different position and is having a worse year (Dinwiddie) or a guy who's been hurt for an extended period and who's early season over a few games or may not be sustainable.
M.C. Swag
AG
Listen, I'm sorry if you think I insulted THJ, but I didn't. Dinwiddie would be a great THIRD guard for the mavs and could play in place of THJ if the matchup and play demands it. That's it. You're fighting ghosts.
FTAco07
AG
Dinwiddie was on a totally different team without Kyrie. He shouldn't be anything more than a few minutes a game reserve to give Luka or Kyrie a rest on this team. We already have Hardy, who I like and wish played more, and Exum whenever he comes back for that role.

shack009
AG
FTAco07 said:

Dinwiddie was on a totally different team without Kyrie. He shouldn't be anything more than a few minutes a game reserve to give Luka or Kyrie a rest on this team. We already have Hardy, who I like and wish played more, and Exum whenever he comes back for that role.

Agreed.
shack009
AG
Good work to get the win tonight. Got up early and never let them within 8-9 in the second half. This one counts just as much as any of the others.
Grapesoda2525
shack009 said:

Good work to get the win tonight. Got up early and never let them within 8-9 in the second half. This one counts just as much as any of the others.
Seemed like it was a lot more difficult than it should've been given New Yorks situation, but a win is a win. Caught the knicks at a good time. We were due for a break or two if you ask me. Injuries have really been a downer this year.
Infection_Ag11
AG
FTAco07 said:

Kidd's use of Hardy is one of the most perplexing things I can ever remember with respect to player utilization.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shack009
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

shack009 said:

Seemed like it was a lot more difficult than it should've been given New Yorks situation, but a win is a win. Caught the knicks at a good time. We were due for a break or two if you ask me. Injuries have really been a downer this year.
It was our 3rd road game in 4 nights and it took 2 of their guys catching fire in the 4th to even make it half a question. Not like we were playing with a full roster either. Job done.
Troglodyte
AG
If Kyrie misses time, Dinwiddie would be a good fill in. To me, Hardy is more like THJ than Kai. Hopefully, he can be more like Kai as he improves.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

FTAco07 said:

Kidd's use of Hardy is one of the most perplexing things I can ever remember with respect to player utilization.

I do not want dinwiddie because then Hardy won't see a minute. 2024 dinwiddie is not an upgrade over anyone we have, including Hardy. I don't get all the THJ hate because he's forced to take some bad shots and create for himself a lot when Kyrie is out. He's literally the only person other than Luka that can do that (even though that's not his specialty) which brings down his numbers. If Kyrie is healthy, I'd rather have thj than dinwiddie. Dinwiddie seems washed and is very redundant with Luka and Kyrie. Plus, Hardy should play, and there's no way Kidd plays him at all if we get dinwiddie.

I wan Kidd fired for 10 different reasons, but not developing and not even playing Hardy is on the top of my list.
mavsfan4ever
AG
The trades definitely make us interesting to watch for the rest of the season. On paper, gafford and Washington at least seem to give us a fighter's chance to be a contender this year. If they fit in well, their size and skills should make us pretty dangerous in the playoffs if we are healthy. And if we had a good coach (sigh).

But man, we are going to be awful for 5-8 years if Luka leaves. We have no pick in 2027, we have a pick swap with okc in 2028 (which will likely be around pick 30), we have no pick in 2029, and we have a swap with spurs in 2030. That's scary and the type of stuff that could completely lose a fan base if we are winning 20 games for 5+ years bc we have no draft picks to give us any hope. That makes it extremely important for these trades to work out (we gave up a first for nothing when we got Grant Williams). I like the moves in a vacuum but if there is a lot of pressure on them to pan out.

I honestly haven't seen gafford and pj play much bc of the teams they are on, but they seem like great fits on paper and from highlight packages.
M.C. Swag
AG
Dinwiddie was inefficient in Washington before coming to Dallas too. I think it's a safe bet he'd be markedly better here in Dallas playing a reduced role around Luka and Kyrie than being the lead guy in Brooklyn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.