***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

148,032 Views | 3367 Replies | Last: 6 sec ago by FTAG 2000
shack009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Need to get Luka out. He's some combo of hurt and exhausted and is doing nada.

He's allowing the offense to play 4 on 4 because he's being face guarded by Brooks 45 feet from the basket.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Luka is a liability at this point, need to let Kyrie operate the offense and put Hardy or Hardaway in for FT purposes down the stretch.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
shack009 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

He's allowing the offense to play 4 on 4 because he's being face guarded by Brooks 45 feet from the basket.

But on defense he's completely useless because he's hobbled and has 5 fouls.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shack009
AG
Lockdown Luka
shack009
AG
This game wasn't even close
hph6203
AG
Let that man rest that knee.
Ol Jock 99
AG
And naturally he blocks the last shot.
shack009
AG
Love that Luka got to yell in Brooks' face at the end
Infection_Ag11
AG
Awesome, improbably win. Hope Luka's knee is ok.
shack009
AG
If New Orleans somehow beats Phoenix today then I'm absolutely resting Luka in one of the B2B games with Charlotte and Miami, and possible both games.
Guitarsoup
AG
Mavs have mathematically eliminated the Rockets from the playin.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Mavs have mathematically eliminated the Rockets from the playin.

Could be a devastating weekend for Houston if the Rangers win today also.
PatAg
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

shack009 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

But on defense he's completely useless because he's hobbled and has 5 fouls.
serial over-reactor
hph6203
AG
shack009 said:

If New Orleans somehow beats Phoenix today then I'm absolutely resting Luka in one of the B2B games with Charlotte and Miami, and possible both games.
Think you want PHX to win that game. PHX win puts it at Mavs win or Pels loss to lock in the 6 seed. If Pels win it's 2 wins/losses for both PHX and NO.
shack009
AG
hph6203 said:

shack009 said:

Think you want PHX to win that game. PHX win puts it at Mavs win or Pels loss to lock in the 6 seed. If Pels win it's 2 wins/losses for both PHX and NO.

You're right, but I'm looking at the 5 spot. I'd only be ok with the 6 spot if Denver is the 1 seed, which is very much in doubt right now.
Grapesoda2525
shack009 said:

hph6203 said:

shack009 said:

You're right, but I'm looking at the 5 spot. I'd only be ok with the 6 spot if Denver is the 1 seed, which is very much in doubt right now.
It's tough because 1-3 and 5-8 are still pretty much up in the air. We don't know where hardly anyone is going to be.
shack009
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

shack009 said:

hph6203 said:

shack009 said:

It's tough because 1-3 and 5-8 are still pretty much up in the air. We don't know where hardly anyone is going to be.

You're probably right that projecting it is a fool's errand. Just have a feeling that Minnesota will be in the 1 spot. I believe they have the tiebreaker.
zgolfz85
AG
What a ****ing game boys!
PatAg
AG
shack009 said:

hph6203 said:

shack009 said:

Yea, I think you cant worry about how 1-3 is going to finish. We just need to try to finish as high a seed as we can, while also trying to be as ready for the playoffs as we can be. (both rested and health)
Infection_Ag11
AG
With Phoenix losing we're locked into the 5th seed for all intents and purposes, given 2 of our last 4 games are against the Hornets and Pistons and the Suns/Kings/Pelicans all play each other and have tougher schedules.

It's unfortunate that the Clippers have won 4 games they should have lost just in the last 2 weeks. Lose just 2 of those and we'd probably beat them out for the 4 seed. As it stands they'd need to lose 3/4 and we'd need to win out.
shack009
AG
Also is it too soon to bring up Max Strus and Cleveland?
Grapesoda2525
Infection_Ag11 said:

With Phoenix losing we're locked into the 5th seed for all intents and purposes, given 2 of our last 4 games are against the Hornets and Pistons and the Suns/Kings/Pelicans all play each other and have tougher schedules.

It's unfortunate that the Clippers have won 4 games they should have lost just in the last 2 weeks. Lose just 2 of those and we'd probably beat them out for the 4 seed. As it stands they'd need to lose 3/4 and we'd need to win out.
We shouldn't fear a matchup with the clippers now right? There was times in the past where I wanted no part of them, but we should have the size and speed to match up and someone who can actually guard Leonard.

If we get the 5, the worst case scenario for our side of the bracket is probably Denver as the #1, clippers as 4 ( locked in), and golden state as #8
hph6203
AG
Sounds like a great opportunity for Luka to Dirk his way through the playoffs and go from a guy people won't put in their top 4 for MVP to perpetually first or second until he's 33 years old.
M.C. Swag
AG
I was at the game and it was nuts! That Exum shot felt like Zeus' lighting bolt. Just a deafening roar from the crowd.

Also I'm glad I stayed because I really wanted to leave at halftime the way the Mavs came out completely lethargic but man, Houston just imploded. I seriously think that Amen Thompson lost that game for the Rockets and cost them the season. Like, Amen is by all reports one of the nicest and most professional young dudes you'll meet and to have that kind of inexcusable meltdown was just so weird.

BUT im glad it happened! lol

The funny thing about this Luka+Kyrie combo is they don't actually play off each other that much (Kyrie is basically a decoy the entire 1st half), but they have undeniable chemistry in that each of them knows when to step out of the way and let the other cook.

And I'll be the first to admit being wrong on Kyrie. I knew he would come into Dallas and have a severe impact on the lockerroom...but NOT LIKE THIS! He's been the polar opposite of a cancer and has actually seemed to become an essential glue guy and even LEADER. It's a wild development, but one I'm glad to see.

I hope Lively is ok. Seeing him in that full knee cast is worrisome. Absolutely need him to be 100% before playoffs.
BallerStaf2003
AG
I really don't understand the ESPN bias against Luka and the Mavs. SportsCenter barely covered the game, get up didn't even show it, but they are talking about the bucks, Tyrese Maxey, and spend about 30 minutes on the Lakers.

Yesterday was an incredible game. Incredible resilience that we haven't seen since 2011, with incredible clutch performances by Luca and Kyrie Luca gets a block with blood pouring through his knees at the end of the game, and no mention of it on SportsCenter.

I'm convinced they don't want another white European to win mvp. But he should win.
M.C. Swag
AG
haha well a white European is 100% winning the award, so I don't think it's a Xenophobic thing (although some dip****s are *cough* Gilbert Arenas *cough*).

Jokic will win the award and is deserving. And Luka will finish 2nd. ESPN loves to talk about the Lakers as much as they love talking about the Cowboys, that's just how it is. The truly frustrating part is that if the Mavs were in the East as the #2 seed, I 100% think Luka is the front runner for this award.
BallerStaf2003
AG
M.C. Swag said:

haha well a white European is 100% winning the award, so I don't think it's a Xenophobic thing (although some dip****s are *cough* Gilbert Arenas *cough*).

Jokic will win the award and is deserving. And Luka will finish 2nd. ESPN loves to talk about the Lakers as much as they love talking about the Cowboys, that's just how it is. The truly frustrating part is that if the Mavs were in the East as the #2 seed, I 100% think Luka is the front runner for this award.

I think Jokic has been apathetic and haven't dealt with near the injuries Luka has dealt with. The stat is like 5 key players all missed 20+ games. It's nuts.

If you remember, before Jokic won the first time, the media was all against him. Stephen A even called him a "fat slob".

I think the odds are compounded now with Jokic winning twice, to follow that up with a Luka may be seen as bad optics for American basketball.

M.C. Swag
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

M.C. Swag said:

I think Jokic has been apathetic and haven't dealt with near the injuries Luka has dealt with. The stat is like 5 key players all missed 20+ games. It's nuts.

If you remember, before Jokic won the first time, the media was all against him. Stephen A even called him a "fat slob".

I think the odds are compounded now with Jokic winning twice, to follow that up with a Luka may be seen as bad optics for American basketball.

Jokic has unapologetically said he doesn't care about the MVP award, but he's been anything but apathetic about playing to win. He's dominated this year from start to finish. And I'm not saying Luka doesn't have an argument. I think he has a strong case to be the MVP, I was simply pushing back on the 'white european' thing.

SAS is an idiot on camera and was 1 of 3 voters to not have Luka as an All NBA player last season, so I understand that frustration. But if Luka wins the award, there's no 'bad optics' to have a 25 yr old who led the league in scoring to win MVP. The league would love nothing more than to have a potential MVP v MVP playoff series matchup between Jokic and Luka.
BallerStaf2003
AG
I agree, but when certain guys like SAS make an opinion, Vegas odds change. These guys are influential. A few weeks ago he said Tatum should win mvp and the next day the odds shot up significantly. He even bragged about how influential he is the next day.

Last year, Perkins (who is the biggest moron of all of them) said that the worst three mvps were all white (paraphrasing), and the momentum totally shifted to Embiid.
Guitarsoup
AG
Simmons was talking really positively about the Mavs and the Dal/Hou game on his podcast today.
shack009
AG
The injury thing really hurt Luka. If we were healthy all year we would certainly be at least in the 4 spot and Luka would probably be a shoe in for MVP. It was so early in the season that people forget how bad it was. Since it was before the trade deadline, if Lively was hurt, our centers were Dwight Powell and Maxi. Kyrie missed a large chunk of games early on. A couple months in to the year the Mavs were around 3rd or 4th in the West despite having missed nearly the most games due to injury.

Obviously Jokic deserves to be under consdieration for the MVP, but they have lost 3 of their last 6 games because Murray has been out. It's just a data point to consider.

Luka has actually had a couple "down" games here recently, statistically. If he had gone on a serious heater then he may have been able to snatch it. He's probably locked in to 2nd, and just needs to be healthy for the playoffs.
gigem1223
Handling business against a team we should easily beat. Now let's go Suns (gag)
shack009
AG
12/3/4 from Grant Williams on 12 shots. You love to see it.
HawthornAggie
AG
W
shack009
AG
PJ 0/7 and 0/6 from 3… hopefully just an off night and not the end of his hot streak

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.